HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Leighton Extension in works

Old
03-14-2010, 01:50 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That would also mean you never want the Cup.

They clean that thing like a mother****er. I wouldn't worry about it.
Nothing can wash out the Crosby soil.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The manner in which the cup was tainted upon receiving that *******'s womanly kiss is a metaphysical thing. The conventional cleaning methods of man do nothing to remove it. Your best bet is to have it taken to an exorcism, with an entire brotherhood of priests in attendance.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
mypetmeatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The manner in which the cup was tainted upon receiving that *******'s womanly kiss is a metaphysical thing. The conventional cleaning methods of man do nothing to remove it. Your best bet is to have it taken to an exorcism, with an entire brotherhood of priests in attendance.
Even though you're mostly joking, I feel the same way pretty much. It kind of lowered the aura I had in my head around the cup.

mypetmeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I saw the cup at the hockey hall of fame, in October. Didnt notice any poo stains on it.

It hadn't been engraved with the new penguins names yet though I dont think. Saw Pronger on the Cup, the Hart and the Norris.

Saw Esche on the Jennings

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
The more success the worse for us...if Leighton produces results in the playoffs, management's one step closer to thinking he's really a solution. It's an awkward season to be a Flyers fan.
Yeah. Winning the Cup would suck.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Breeze 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, I don't really think Boucher is an NHL backup on our team, but I still have my doubts about Leighton too who seems to be good for 1-2 soft goals per game.
Really...1 to 2 soft goals a game...due you even have a clue? He has a 2.42 GAA and a .921 save % so something doesn't add up unless you're saying that more than half the goals he lets in are soft. It really does SUCK to be a goalie in Philly, some of you guys are clueless!!

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
Really...1 to 2 soft goals a game...due you even have a clue? He has a 2.42 GAA and a .921 save % so something doesn't add up unless you're saying that more than half the goals he lets in are soft. It really does SUCK to be a goalie in Philly, some of you guys are clueless!!
Stats don't tell you very much of the story. Bad goalies can get good stats behind a good enough team. This coming from a goaltender whose only "career" achievements have been statistical.

While "1-2 softies a game" is a little bit of an exaggeration, I'd say a pretty big share of the goals he gives up are, indeed, soft. Or at the very least, stoppable.

Leighton is not a long-term solution in net. He's proven to be serviceable so far, and I'm not against keeping him around as a back-up/split time guy at best...but expecting him to continue playing well above anything he's ever shown even the slightest hint of into the playoffs and for 60+ games next year is silly. There are better options with more talent and infinitely higher upside, and Holmgren had better look into them.

Old
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Breeze 44

I'm not saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread but goals are gonna be scored on every goalie and we don't have a shut down defense, we are giving up far to many shots and scoring chances. Most goalies reachtheir prime at 27-28 years old...I believe Tim Thomas wasn't afforded the oppurtunity until he was 32 and all he did was win the Vezina last year ( not saying Leighton will ).. far too many people get caught up in pedigree or where a person was drafted or ranked when thet were drafted at the ripe old age of 17..18 &19..and those players are afforded far more opportunities to succeed or fail than others...hello carey Price. Just let the season play out and give the guy some credit he's done a great job.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:47 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I'm not saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread but goals are gonna be scored on every goalie and we don't have a shut down defense, we are giving up far to many shots and scoring chances. Most goalies reachtheir prime at 27-28 years old...I believe Tim Thomas wasn't afforded the oppurtunity until he was 32 and all he did was win the Vezina last year ( not saying Leighton will ).. far too many people get caught up in pedigree or where a person was drafted or ranked when thet were drafted at the ripe old age of 17..18 &19..and those players are afforded far more opportunities to succeed or fail than others...hello carey Price. Just let the season play out and give the guy some credit he's done a great job.
Yeah, but usually even the late bloomers show talent at some point prior to that....Leighton has never shown even the most remote level of sure-handedness.

Yes, the man has done exactly what we needed him to do this year. I'm not trying to take anything away from that. I'm just worried that Holmgren will look at the stats, hand him the reins and a contract, and then rest on his laurels with goaltending and fail to look for an upgrade. I don't blame Leighton for it at all - he's just playing hockey.

But to act like all of our eggs for the next few years before our Cup window closes are safe in his basket is silly.

Old
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't think anyone is getting caught up on where a goalie was drafted or anything like that. What most of us have seen for the past 15 to 20 years from this franchise is a belief that mediocre goaltending coupled with great defense, offense and special teams will win a Stanley Cup.

I know some will say that Robert Esche and Brian Boucher had great playoff runs, but it was only a one time thing for them. Roman Cechmanek had a number of great regular seasons for the Flyers, but he was terrible when it came playoff time.

More than anything, what most of us Flyers fans are looking for, are playoff proven goaltenders or goaltenders that have a pedigree to turn in superb performances in a playoff format. And it's not a one time thing either. And that has been the problem - the goaltending seems to be adequate during the regular season, but mediocre come playoff time.

As for goaltenders of the future, I'm probably in the minority, but I'm really high on the development of Joakim Eriksson so far and if the Flyers don't rush him, they have their future number one. I know Chris Shafer will get mad at me when I say this, but watching Eriksson reminds me so much of watching Henrik Lundqvist and that's the type of goaltender this team has sorely lacked. Here's hoping that Flyers management finally got it right in terms of drafting a goaltender. Of course, I'm also high on another player by the name of Brad Phillips and I think if he turns pro and goes to Kalamazoo in the ECHL, he's going to get lots of playing time and he's going to be someone worth watching as well.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
People are giving him credit, but their is a legitimate skepticism based on his inability to establish himself as NHL goalie prior to this season. Until he establishes himself as a #1 goalie than that skepticism is warranted.

Sure, he could be a late bloomer, or he could be another Scott Clemmensen. Clemmensen looked like another late bloomer last year when he got a chance to start due to Brodeur's injury, but he went back to being a below average goalie this year.

It's far too early to act like Leighton's proven a thing. He's done an excellent job so far, but that doesn't mean that it is more than a hot streak.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:25 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
save percentage like +/- can be a very overrated stat.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:35 PM
panayiotis

why

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
He is a journeyman. I would not trust to play 20 -30 games. Homer is a idot.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I saw the cup at the hockey hall of fame, in October. Didnt notice any poo stains on it.

It hadn't been engraved with the new penguins names yet though I dont think. Saw Pronger on the Cup, the Hart and the Norris.

Saw Esche on the Jennings
I think there's two Cups -- one on display and one that travels.

I was there last June, right after the finals. It's a pretty neat place, but then the trophy room is just awesome.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can picture it now: Me, turning off the television in disgust as Richie hoists the cup, "well ****, looks like they're definitely not gonna trade for Price now..." Oh well, there's always next year.
and Coburn scores the Cup winning goal. We would be screwed right?
Yeah who the **** wants to see a Stanley Cup in their lifetime.
I was 9 years old when they last won a Cup. I really dont give a rats ass about the circumstances, the consequences or the price. I want a Cup.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Yeah, but usually even the late bloomers show talent at some point prior to that....Leighton has never shown even the most remote level of sure-handedness.

----

But to act like all of our eggs for the next few years before our Cup window closes are safe in his basket is silly.
Not true. Leighton was one of Chicago's goalies of the future, along with Craig Anderson, a few years back. It just didn't pan out as they were both too young. Anderson's put Colorado on the map this year and Leighton is playing very well for the Flyers.

I don't think it means they will stop looking for goalie prospects, or even a veteran in the meantime (e.g. Ellis or Turco), but this year's playoff will determine a lot.

If Leighton continues making great saves at key times as he's done many times recently, and the team plays well in front of him, they could have playoff success. If they win a round or two, Leighton will be our goalie next year - and deservedly so. If they don't, all bets are off and we'll see what they decide to do.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:43 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Not true. Leighton was one of Chicago's goalies of the future, along with Craig Anderson, a few years back. It just didn't pan out as they were both too young. Anderson's put Colorado on the map this year and Leighton is playing very well for the Flyers.

I don't think it means they will stop looking for goalie prospects, or even a veteran in the meantime (e.g. Ellis or Turco), but this year's playoff will determine a lot.

If Leighton continues making great saves at key times as he's done many times recently, and the team plays well in front of him, they could have playoff success. If they win a round or two, Leighton will be our goalie next year - and deservedly so. If they don't, all bets are off and we'll see what they decide to do.
Unless Leighton absolutely steals us a round, a la MAF against us last year, I don't see why you fold up and just say "okay, let him keep going."

Assuming teams don't figure him out over the course of a seven game series (which I can't believe teams won't - his rebounds and post-save recovery are horrific), I think giving him the whole offseason to cool down and then come in as the de facto starter is a bad idea.

But, you know Holmgren and the Flyers with goalies in general. If Leighton appears even halfway adequate, Shooter won't pursue any options. If Leighton keeps putting up a SV% of .920 I'll very happily eat my words, but I highly doubt it's sustainable through the end of this year, let alone all of next...and that's why I'm worried that Homer will fail to get involved for a potential long-term starter with big upside if he thinks he can keep going with budget goaltending that will continue to get lucky.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
and Coburn scores the Cup winning goal. We would be screwed right?
Yeah who the **** wants to see a Stanley Cup in their lifetime.
I was 9 years old when they last won a Cup. I really don't give a rats ass about the circumstances, the consequences or the price. I want a Cup.
I can't tell if you're expounding on my own sarcasm or highlighting the lunacy of what you read as a serious post. But for clarity's sake, I was being sarcastic.

I'm with you, I want to see the Flyers win a Stanley Cup. Barring any disgraceful circumstances, I don't much care how they get it done.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:48 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
I can't tell if you're expounding on my own sarcasm or highlighting the lunacy of what you read as a serious post. But for clarity's sake, I was being sarcastic.

I'm with you, I want to see the Flyers win a Stanley Cup. Barring any disgraceful circumstances, I don't much care how they get it done.
I was born in 79 and am starting to believe that as long as I'm alive the Flyers won't win a cup...

...no, I wont give out my address.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:05 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
He is a journeyman. I would not trust to play 20 -30 games. Homer is a idot.
And yet... he's played 26 games with the Flyers, and his record is 16-5-2-1.

And ya always gotta love someone calling someone else an idiot by misspelling "idiot". Oh! The ire-knee.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:04 AM
MCAKES

well in theory Bouch has gotten some of his losses

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:20 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAKES View Post
well in theory Bouch has gotten some of his losses
I believe Boucher had 2 losses in the 3 games that Leighton was pulled. Leighton got the loss against Boston, while Boucher got the loss against Florida and Ottawa. I'll give you the loss against Florida, which would make his record 16-6-2-1, but won't give you the one against Ottawa as Boucher lost that game (Leighton gave up 2 early goals while Boucher let in 5 on 26 shots).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I was born in 79 and am starting to believe that as long as I'm alive the Flyers won't win a cup...

...no, I wont give out my address.
I'm not sure what's worse, no Cups at all, or the last one when you were in Grade 9......

Old
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Unless Leighton absolutely steals us a round, a la MAF against us last year, I don't see why you fold up and just say "okay, let him keep going."

Assuming teams don't figure him out over the course of a seven game series (which I can't believe teams won't - his rebounds and post-save recovery are horrific), I think giving him the whole offseason to cool down and then come in as the de facto starter is a bad idea.

But, you know Holmgren and the Flyers with goalies in general. If Leighton appears even halfway adequate, Shooter won't pursue any options. If Leighton keeps putting up a SV% of .920 I'll very happily eat my words, but I highly doubt it's sustainable through the end of this year, let alone all of next...and that's why I'm worried that Homer will fail to get involved for a potential long-term starter with big upside if he thinks he can keep going with budget goaltending that will continue to get lucky.
It'll all sort itself out over time. Our luck, the Flyers will make the SCF, lose, and someone else will offer Leighton more money than we can afford to pay.

And it will all be markzab's fault, or maybe panyidiotis'....

Old
03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I think he'd need two seasons or so to get used to the positioning and angle differences between international ice and NA ice.

1 year SEL, 2 years AHL, 1 year split time NHL?
i think this will be the route he takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypetmeatball View Post
Even though you're mostly joking, I feel the same way pretty much. It kind of lowered the aura I had in my head around the cup.
crosby is rick flair. the champion you hate.

Quote:
i think this particular goalie just sucks. id say its more 1 softy every 2 games. his save precentage is up there because the d only lets him face low percentage shots. no goalie is going to be able to stop them all but i think with this team an adequate goalie would be looking even better statisticaly with probably a similar save% and goals against around 2.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote