HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/12/10 - Minnesota @ Buffalo - 6:30 PM CST - FSN NORTH (HD)

Old
03-12-2010, 09:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
It comes with the territory - you either love Minnesota and Woog or have envy.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:39 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It comes with the territory - you either love Minnesota and Woog or have envy.
I usually cheer for the Gophers when they aren't playing the Bulldogs.

CC's goalie is keeping them in this... in overtime.

Mike Connolly from Jack Connolly! Game over, 3-2 Dogs

Last edited by UMD05: 03-12-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: wrong Connolly! (no relation)
UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's how I feel about UMD. It's the same school system after all.

Old
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
That's how I feel about UMD. It's the same school system after all.
When you grow up in the cities you were probably originally a Gophers fan (I'd assume - at least that's how it worked with my friends)... I can't decide to hate them because I chose to go to Duluth.

Anyway, I'm getting kind of bitter re: the Wild. I wish they'd decide if they're going to try or going to tank.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
When you grow up in the cities you were probably originally a Gophers fan (I'd assume - at least that's how it worked with my friends)... I can't decide to hate them because I chose to go to Duluth.

Anyway, I'm getting kind of bitter re: the Wild. I wish they'd decide if they're going to try or going to tank.
That's how it seems to be due to the saturation of Gophers gear and the statewide television contract.

I'd just like to see the Wild play a good sixty minutes and actually beat a team. It seemed more like Buffalo beat themselves tonight than Minnesota beat them. Until they are able to do that, it's going to be difficult to fully cheer for the Wild.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
mnwildgophers

Sorry I missed the game tonight, glad to see you were here to keep the tradition going : P I was stuck at work.

Why did we come out and play good this game? It's so hard for me to be mad when we win, yet I don't think there is any way that we are possibly going to get into the playoffs.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Have they even played a full 60 minutes this year? They must have at some point, but nothing is coming to mind right now.

Minnetonka vs. Hill Murray tied 1-1 going into triple overtime.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:47 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Have they even played a full 60 minutes this year? They must have at some point, but nothing is coming to mind right now.

Phew, got home just in time? How did the Gophers do? I see UMD won. I went there for a year, good to see them do well.

I can't think of a game that really stands out as a full 60 minute effort, but I remember thinking it a couple of times after games, but not too many. The only game that really stands out in my mind was the Chicago game where we came back from 4 down, that was the highlight of this year for me, and Lats coming here.

Last edited by mnwildgophers: 03-12-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
mnwildgophers

Wow what a game between Hill-Murray and Tonka, going into the 4th overtime, I wonder how long before they would call the game?

Old
03-13-2010, 08:01 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Tonka vs Edina....as it should be. Tonight will be a good night for hockey. I seriously forgot the Wild were even playing lol

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Sorry I missed the game tonight, glad to see you were here to keep the tradition going : P I was stuck at work.

Why did we come out and play good this game? It's so hard for me to be mad when we win, yet I don't think there is any way that we are possibly going to get into the playoffs.
I didn't think the Wild played that well outside of the first period (and even then you can make a case that Buffalo outplayed Minnesota) outside of Harding and the Sabres just not taking advantage of things. It's pretty easy to say Buffalo beat Buffalo.

And the U lost 6-0 which was just a sad sad game and will get the pitchforks and torches started up in Dinkytown.

Quote:

The only thing I can come up with is the Detroit 5-2 win.

And that was a crazy ending. Sort of mad I missed it.
Quote:
Wow what a game between Hill-Murray and Tonka, going into the 4th overtime, I wonder how long before they would call the game?
At least six OTs because they've shown the Edina-Roseau highlight a half-dozen times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Tonka vs Edina....as it should be. Tonight will be a good night for hockey. I seriously forgot the Wild were even playing lol
It happens - only reason I remembered was due to the Gophers being on FSN North + or whatever the alternate station is called.

Also, if FSN has an overflow station for between the Wild, Wolves and Gophers why is it never used?

Old
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
saywut

I'd like to know Richards reasoning in taking Kobasew out of the lineup.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I think it's a numbers game and he wanted Boogaard in there for some strange, sick reason.

Old
03-13-2010, 02:37 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I'd like to know Richards reasoning in taking Kobasew out of the lineup.
Sick, injured, no idea yet....

Quote:
I think it's a numbers game and he wanted Boogaard in there for some strange, sick reason.
Wouldn't doubt it. Probably just trying to get Boogaard some more ice time before he axes him next year

Old
03-13-2010, 02:45 PM
saywut

Quote:
Sick, injured, no idea yet....

Wouldn't doubt it. Probably just trying to get Boogaard some more ice time before he axes him next year
http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521175

Quote:
Chuck Kobasew is going to be your healthy scratch tonight.
We have a career AHLer in Robbie Earl, yet we choose to scratch a 3 time 20 goal scorer?

Old
03-13-2010, 03:40 PM
mnwildgophers

I still don't get why we have Boogaard, how many fights has he had this year? That's all he's worth, he doesn't even barely hit. I just don't get it but Richards always says about how he wants that *element*. It doesn't make sense to me.

Harding had a nice game last night. He really got in a groove and looked great, I wonder what we are going to end up doing with him.

Old
03-13-2010, 03:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
We have a career AHLer in Robbie Earl, yet we choose to scratch a 3 time 20 goal scorer?
Well, if there was ever a tell tale sign that this team has checked out, this is going to be that tell tale sign! Jebus.

Quote:
I still don't get why we have Boogaard, how many fights has he had this year? That's all he's worth, he doesn't even barely hit. I just don't get it but Richards always says about how he wants that *element*. It doesn't make sense to me.

Harding had a nice game last night. He really got in a groove and looked great, I wonder what we are going to end up doing with him.
Getting older and its really not that large of a part of the game as it was a few years ago. He needs to be ****canned.

Old
03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Like I said before, it's a numbers game. If you look at how the two have played the past couple games, Earl has looked more like the three time 20 goal scorer than a career AHLer as Kobasew is still getting his skating legs back from injury.

Quote:

Boogaard brings his reputation, which at this point is a double-edged sword. People don't want to fight him as Boogaard's a made man (super-heavyweight edition) and referees have their eyes on Boogaard when he is on the ice. That's the reason why he has only fought a few times this year. It's nice because the Wild don't have to worry about cheap shots when Boogaard is in the lineup. However, he's redundant and I hope that Fletcher lets him walks as there are a couple guys in the Minnesota lineup who can also do the same job and drop the gloves.

Old
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Boogaard brings his reputation, which at this point is a double-edged sword. People don't want to fight him as Boogaard's a made man (super-heavyweight edition) and referees have their eyes on Boogaard when he is on the ice. That's the reason why he has only fought a few times this year. It's nice because the Wild don't have to worry about cheap shots when Boogaard is in the lineup. However, he's redundant and I hope that Fletcher lets him walks as there are a couple guys in the Minnesota lineup who can also do the same job and drop the gloves.
I feel that Boogaard's rep is hurting him more than helping him this season, and that his million dollars could be better used for someone else who can chip in more than Boogaard.

Old
03-13-2010, 05:07 PM
saywut

Quote:
Like I said before, it's a numbers game. If you look at how the two have played the past couple games, Earl has looked more like the three time 20 goal scorer than a career AHLer as Kobasew is still getting his skating legs back from injury.
Robbie Earl is an AHL player who is in the NHL. Chuck Kobasew is a proven top-9 forward in this league. There is no excuse to scratch Chuck in favor of Robbie. If Richards didn't like Kobasew we should have never acquired him, as we knew what we were getting -> a hard working winger with above average speed who is willing to do the dirty work, but isn't going to score many goals with his shot, but by going hard to the net.

Old
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I feel that Boogaard's rep is hurting him more than helping him this season, and that his million dollars could be better used for someone else who can chip in more than Boogaard.
Exactly. He used to be a good force for checking and just putting people in their places. But the goon role is slowly dying away in the NHL. Players like Shelly, Laraque, and Boogaard are being replaced by faster and more talented checkers who can do the role.

Quote:
Robbie Earl is an AHL player who is in the NHL. Chuck Kobasew is a proven top-9 forward in this league. There is no excuse to scratch Chuck in favor of Robbie. If Richards didn't like Kobasew we should have never acquired him, as we knew what we were getting -> a hard working winger with above average speed who is willing to do the dirty work, but isn't going to score many goals with his shot, but by going hard to the net.
I can see him doing it, but not when you are preaching that we can still make the playoffs. Backstrom is injured and Harding is in. To me, these type of moves mean that the team is saying "well we're ****ed, lets just get some of the kids in to play around a bit too"

Old
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I agree and am hopeful Fletcher lets him walk.

Quote:
In the long run, Kobasew will produce a lot more than Earl and Richards has enjoyed using him since the trade from Boston (especially pre-injury). However, hockey isn't played on paper and at the moment an injured Kobasew needs to be eased back into the fold; especially given the fact that the team isn't really playing for anything. I expect Kobasew to take his place in the top nine again once he can show Richards and co. he is 100% and can add to the team.

Old
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
saywut

Quote:
I can see him doing it, but not when you are preaching that we can still make the playoffs. Backstrom is injured and Harding is in. To me, these type of moves mean that the team is saying "well we're ****ed, lets just get some of the kids in to play around a bit too"
Earl isn't a kid, he's 24. Kobasew is only 3 years older. I can understand that James Sheppard is in because Nathan Smith is next on the center depth chart.

Old
03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Earl isn't a kid, he's 24. Kobasew is only 3 years older. I can understand that James Sheppard is in because Nathan Smith is next on the center depth chart.
Finagle the lines then. Nolan can take center pretty damn easily. Koivu-Brodziak-Nolan-Ebbett. Tada.