HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

In town for the NYR game tonight - a few questions...

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
In town for the NYR game tonight - a few questions...

So I am in Atlanta for the weekend and I am going to the NYR game tonight. A few logistical questions. I am staying at my friends place in Sandy Springs. He has a MARTA stop close by, but what time does the MARTA system shut down at night? If we wanna hang out in downtown after the game, does MARTA stop running back to Sandy Springs? Also if we decide to drive to the game, who has the cheapest parking that stays open late? Def don't want to deal with a lot that closes early.

Also where can we find a place with the cheapest beer selection? Back in NYC we have a few places that offer 32 oz beers for $4 right next to MSG. Is there anything like that in Atlanta? Maybe $5 pitchers? Also we want the best/cheapest bbq in Atlanta after the game. Where should we be headed?

Also, I know that Atlanta was a civil war hot bed, but was there any American Revolution activity here? And landmarks for that?

As for tickets for the game, there should be no problem at the box office picking up $10 tix right? There won't be an influx of people coming out for Chris Chelios will there ?

Old
03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

most of the parking places you pay when you go in so it shouldnt matter how late you stay.

there are several good bars for drink in the arena and in CNN center which is attached to it.

not sure what time marta shuts down, if at all. their website is itsmarta.com

Old
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
most of the parking places you pay when you go in so it shouldnt matter how late you stay.

there are several good bars for drink in the arena and in CNN center which is attached to it.

not sure what time marta shuts down, if at all. their website is itsmarta.com
yea I checked the MARTS webpage but it looks like the Red line / Sandy Springs stops running at 9 20 pm coming north from 5 points? Is that right ???

Old
03-12-2010, 02:41 PM
nyrmetros

http://www.cis.gvsu.edu/~kurmasz/Adv...tml#PA_PARKING

"In our experience, the best way to get to a Phillips Arena event is to exit Tech by the Engineer's Bookstore and turn left on Marietta. Just before you get to the Omni hotel, there is a small lot on your right that charges $6. (If I remember correctly, it is at the corner of Marietta and International.) It's a 5 minute walk to Phillips Arena, but it is safe: you walk in front of the Omni Hotel and through the CNN Center. The main benefit of this lot is that you can avoid the downtown congestion when leaving: Simply turn left onto Marietta and go back to campus.

Our second choice is a $5 pay lot on the southeast the corner of Techwood Drive and International Blvd. It's cheaper than our first choice, but traffic is worse. The garage across International (somebody suggested that it was called the Inforium) also charges $5; but, last time we were there, they charged on the way out, which caused a long delay. On the other hand, this lot has better security: closed-circuit TV and gates. "

Is this info accurate ??

Old
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
nyrmetros

www.Yelp.com Atlanta lists these 3 places in the top tier of Atlanta BBQ

Fatt Matt's Rib Shack
Fox Bros Bar-B-Q
Daddy D'z BBQ Joint

Are there any other suggestions for good and cheap bbq down here??

Old
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
TOAONCBA

Only place I can personally vouch for is Fox Bros. If you are a fan of brisket that is the place to go.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Georgia Dawg

Whatever you do, do not take MARTA.

I always park on the opposite side of Cent. Park and walk through to get into Phillips for $5 or $7 bucks. It is very easy to get out after the game. It is the corner of Centennial Olympic Park Dr NW and Andrew Young Blvd NW.

Tickets should be no problem.

I have no idea about bbq downtown. There is a place close to the Highlands that is supposed to have great bbq, but the name is failing me. Sorry.

There is a place in Phillips that has cheap 32 ounce beer. If you walk into the food court, towards the right will be an exit that goes to The Taco Stand. Just to the left is food place with the cheap beer. Again, the name fails me.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
nyrmetros

coming from NYC I was just thinking that mass transit would be the way to go. I'd like to support the trains if I can but if the system shuts down leaving us stranded.... yea that would suck haha

Old
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Fox Brothers is the best intown IMO. Fatt Matts is pretty good too.

Fox Brothers is close to L5P. Which is the alt hangout intown. Plenty of good bars on Euclid Ave. If you go to Fatt Matts you are close to Virginia Highlands which is another good bar area and a good dive Smiths Old Bar is just down the road from Matts

And do yourself a favor, forget MARTA. It is a pos. A cab is $$ but worth the lack of hassle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
flerd_trandle

I'd suggest driving rather than taking MARTA. MARTA is limited and shuts down early.

In the CNN center which is attached to Philips Arena there is a food court. Several of the places there offer large beers for cheap pregame. That area will be packed with hockey fans.

I can vouch for all three of the BBQ places you listed but would rank them:
1. Fox Bros Bar-B-Q
2. Daddy D'z BBQ Joint
3. Fatt Matt's Rib Shack

Nothing much existed in central Georgia during revolutionary war times. Revolutionary war action in Georgia happened around Savannah or Augusta.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post

Nothing much existed in central Georgia during revolutionary war times. Revolutionary war action in Georgia happened around Savannah or Augusta.
Yea I figured as much on that, but I just wanted to check in with the locals. Thanx for the info on that.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Aaronxxx

marta rails run until 2 so you won't be stuck downtown. i ride marta to every game i go to. but if you plan on going around town after the game, i would drive.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Sabreality

$6 big beers in the CNN center are probably your best deal...if you want to do the dive bar thing, theres always Sidebar or Elliot St Pub.

Old
03-12-2010, 04:00 PM
nyrmetros

Is the CNN center open after the game ? Where in the cnn center is the cheap beer ?

Old
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
$6 big beers in the CNN center are probably your best deal...if you want to do the dive bar thing, theres always Sidebar or Elliot St Pub.
There's an Iron Pour at Elliott Street tonight as well as an art stroll in the neighborhood.

Old
03-13-2010, 01:22 AM
copernicanrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Whatever you do, do not take MARTA.
What is the source of all the MARTA hate in this thread? I've taken MARTA to nearly every Thrashers game I've ever been to and have never had a problem. The station lets out about 30 feet from the entrance to the arena. Sometimes the trains are slightly crowded leaving, but it is never a huge problem and even a "packed" MARTA train is roomy compared to a rush-hour train in New York or London. The trains run until 2AM and are a really easy way to get around in the city.

Old
03-13-2010, 01:28 AM
AintLifeGrand

MARTA is so sketch. I'm sure I don't need to even allude to what it stands for.... juuuust kidding

had to take it sometimes to HighSchool when my parents took my keys for not waking up in time to go to school. Been hustled/solicited everything from Crack rocks to nugs to socks and candy on there. Also have seen like 3 or 4 fights on there and numerous ridiculous/hillarious crackheads.

Its fun to get drunk on a saturday and cruise marta like once a year just to see some ridiculous ****, however it is extremely frustrating to actually utilize as an efficient means of transportation.

Last edited by AintLifeGrand: 03-13-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old
03-13-2010, 01:38 AM
copernicanrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
MARTA is so sketch. I'm sure I don't need to even allude to what it stands for....
It stands for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Were you trying to say something racist?

Quote:

had to take it sometimes to HS when my parents took my keys for not waking up in time to go to school. Been hustled/solicited everything from Crack rocks to nugs to socks and candy on there. Also have seen like 3 or 4 fights on there and numerous ridiculous/hillarious crackheads.
What kind of trouble do you go looking for on MARTA?? I was using it daily for a while and found that if I just sit in a seat and pay attention to a book/ipod/the window I never have any problems...

I have on occasion had someone ask me for money. I have told them no. They walked away. Remarkably I made it through the experience without being traumatized.

Quote:

Its fun to get drunk on a saturday and cruise marta like once a year just to see some ridiculous ****, however it is extremely frustrating to actually utilize as an efficient means of transportation.
Frustrating why? I find it frustrating that it doesn't go up 75 (because of all the NIMBYs) and I'd kill to have about 10x the lines and stops, but on the whole it works really well for me.

Old
03-13-2010, 06:36 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Marta is great if you happen to live near one of their stations, don't plan on being out until the bars close, and afford to wait a good 20-30 minutes between trains on the weekends. It was poorly planned early on, and it's routes were limited by the racist attitudes of the suburbs when it was being built. For a city the size of Atlanta a simplistic North-South East-West configuration just isn't good enough...and it's inability to service the large population centers in the suburbs is a severe drawback.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-13-2010, 09:34 AM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicanrevolution View Post
It stands for Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority. Were you trying to say something racist?

What kind of trouble do you go looking for on MARTA?? I was using it daily for a while and found that if I just sit in a seat and pay attention to a book/ipod/the window I never have any problems...

I have on occasion had someone ask me for money. I have told them no. They walked away. Remarkably I made it through the experience without being traumatized.
its not rascist when its kind of an accurate observation on Marta's demographics, plus I said i was kidding/making a joke

Try riding the East-West Line, since my school was in Decatur, this is the line I was accustomed to. I will admit , generally the N-S line is fine, but its still inherently sketch. I normally don't have a problem with taking MARTA from Brookhaven to 5 pts for Braves game sometimes if a DD can't be found.

Last edited by AintLifeGrand: 03-13-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old
03-13-2010, 10:08 AM
copernicanrevolution

Quote:
its not rascist when its kind of an accurate observation on Marta's demographics, plus I said i was kidding/making a joke
The problem is that even if that is a joke it goes hand in hand with the racist attitudes of the city. I have friends from the northern suburbs who have never been on MARTA and are utterly terrified of it. Mostly because they hear the type of things you are saying and never give it a chance.

Quote:

Try riding the East-West Line, since my school was in Decatur, this is the line I was accustomed to

I will admit , generally the N-S line is fine, but its still inherently sketch. I normally don't have a problem with taking MARTA from Brookhaven to 5 pts for Braves game sometimes if a DD can't be found.
Actually I live a few blocks away from Decatur Station.. I ride the E-W (blue) line almost exclusively. Really if we are going to talk about sketchy I'd say the N-S line south of 5 points is FAR sketchier than anything on the E-W.

As for the videos, it is pretty trivial to find crazy youtube videos of any major city or transportation system. I'm saddened by the 2nd video though. Atlanta has an amazing hip-hop scene and the best video you could find was that one? Man, some real talent needs to do a song about MARTA.

It's also worth noting that Soulja Girl was a woman off of her meds and it was considered crazy enough that the video made the local news. If that was typical MARTA fare I expect it wouldn't have been such a big deal. Of course, that video did help the NIMBYs feel good about themselves. Ugh.

btn makes a fair point about the major population centers in the suburbs that MARTA doesn't serve. For the most part though, that's the fault of the people who live in those cities and not the fault of MARTA. I do agree that it sucks that there are parts of the metro area MARTA won't go and having to go from MARTA to CCT sucks (and when I have to go to Cobb I'll just drive rather than deal with it)

Old
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicanrevolution View Post
The problem is that even if that is a joke it goes hand in hand with the racist attitudes of the city. I have friends from the northern suburbs who have never been on MARTA and are utterly terrified of it. Mostly because they hear the type of things you are saying and never give it a chance.

Actually I live a few blocks away from Decatur Station.. I ride the E-W (blue) line almost exclusively. Really if we are going to talk about sketchy I'd say the N-S line south of 5 points is FAR sketchier than anything on the E-W.

As for the videos, it is pretty trivial to find crazy youtube videos of any major city or transportation system. I'm saddened by the 2nd video though. Atlanta has an amazing hip-hop scene and the best video you could find was that one? Man, some real talent needs to do a song about MARTA.

It's also worth noting that Soulja Girl was a woman off of her meds and it was considered crazy enough that the video made the local news. If that was typical MARTA fare I expect it wouldn't have been such a big deal. Of course, that video did help the NIMBYs feel good about themselves. Ugh.

btn makes a fair point about the major population centers in the suburbs that MARTA doesn't serve. For the most part though, that's the fault of the people who live in those cities and not the fault of MARTA. I do agree that it sucks that there are parts of the metro area MARTA won't go and having to go from MARTA to CCT sucks (and when I have to go to Cobb I'll just drive rather than deal with it)
didnt mayor Hartsfield say that Atlanta was the city too busy to hate??

I find that Atlanta isn't neccesairly racist as it is segregated. The black and white populations while they interact with each other daily are quite balkanized when it comes to racial demographics in neighborhoods. I would say prejudices still linger on both sides; I went to Lakeside HS for a year, despite being in an affluent district was still half black, and the prejudice and racism exhibited from the black student body to the white students was shocking. One of the reasons I left after my freshman year...this wasn't 1974 or 1968 either, it was like 2003.

Old
03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Jerdn

Rode MArta to and back from the game tonight. There are tons of crack heads, and panhandlers and occasionally problems for someone. but just act liek everyone else, read a book, put in earphones, sit stare out the window, if you're truly terrified.

That being said it is true that people get robbed and such

Old
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
even if it had, sherman would have burned it.

Old
03-13-2010, 06:13 PM
StackThePads

Marta N/S line after 9pm is massive suck if you're going anywhere north of Lindbergh on the Sandy Springs line.

This is because the trains for the SS line only run from Lindbergh to North Springs and only one every 25/30 minutes. So, you have to wait up to 20 minutes @ Philips for a E/W train, up to 20 minutes @ 5P for a N/S train and up to 25/30 @ Lindbergh for a SS train. Last time I took it it took 1.5 hours to get to North Springs from Philips. Plus then, the bus service from North Springs to Mansell or Windward ends @ 9:00pm also. So, I'd have to drive at least 1/2way to Philips to begin with.

No, thanks.

If I drive, I can be there/home in 35 minutes each way.

Closed Thread