HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Whitney's sparrow-type leg injury

Old
03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Here's an old picture I have found of Ryan Whitney's grandpa..can anyone see a resemblance here?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:20 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Anaheim trying their best to make the playoffs would be my guess. And/or the condition got worse in recent days and weeks.
And the U.S.A Olympic team?

Wonderful privelege I understand but if his foot was ruined a decision to play for the Olympics seems pretty stupid by all concerned.

Just my opinion but I think this story is a little overhyped.

I don't think his foot is ruined. I believe it is bothering him and it possibly may need surgery but there is no reason to think it is any worse than his other foot which was operated on Aug 8th and he only missed 33 games.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
And the U.S.A Olympic team?

Wonderful privelege I understand but if his foot was ruined a decision to play for the Olympics seems pretty stupid by all concerned.

Just my opinion but I think this story is a little overhyped.

I don't think his foot is ruined. I believe it is bothering him and it possibly may need surgery but there is no reason to think it is any worse than his other foot which was operated on Aug 8th and he only missed 33 games.
Please. Think about it just for a minute, ha101.

What happened to one of the Team Canada players a couple weeks before the Olympics? And did that player subsequently play?

I would guess that if it was just pain, Whitney would have done everything possible to play in the Olympics.

But now? What's he playing for? The Oilers are going nowhere.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
nullterm

Quote:
That was my take as well. Surgery would be nice to relieve it, but can still play with the discomfort. Doesn't sound like his foot is about to fall off or he's Footsberg.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:29 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Please. Think about it just for a minute, ha101.

What happened to one of the Team Canada players a couple weeks before the Olympics? And did that player subsequently play?

I would guess that if it was just pain, Whitney would have done everything possible to play in the Olympics.

But now? What's he playing for? The Oilers are going nowhere.
But we really don't know how bad his foot is.

We know his foot is bothering him. In reality we know nothing more.

At this point all we have is all speculation. I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying we need to know more before we start jumping to any conclusion.

I am speculating and so are you. At this point there is no reality.

Old
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
At this point there is no reality.
I never took you as a philosopher of metaphysics.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I never took you as a philosopher of metaphysics.
Good one.

Should I take the red pill?

In truth there is a reality, we just don't have enough information to know what that is.

But I will say if it is a case of a longer term recovery I would agree that this would be the time to get it done. I don't disagree with that logic at all, we just need more info.

Old
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I'm starting think there's more to this than bad luck, especially when a team with a similar travel schedule (CGY) is regularly one of the healthiest teams in the league. Whatever the problem is, it needs to be addressed.
Must be the Edmonton water.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:15 AM
the tikk

Your scepticism is all fair and well-warranted.

I'm just going to publicly "guess", then (and I don't often "guess"), that Whitney misses the World Championships and gets the other foot done as soon as the regular season is over, if not sooner.

He "likely" wanted to make sure that the first repaired foot stood up to the rigours of a full season before getting the other one done (and then certainly didn't want to mess up his involvement in the Olympics.)

I will further "guess" that he was underwhelmed at first, (obviously) being traded, but sees the Oilers much as he did the Penguins when they drafted him - a team that's probably actually closer to winning the cup than a lot of middling teams (see Calgary).

If the other foot pans out, I think we've got a good one, personally.

the tikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
jeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tikk View Post
Whitney was already hurt when he was traded (as Brownlee mentioned). His un-repaired foot is nearly useless, and he will shortly have surgery to repair it (the same procedure that entirely restored his other foot). He will miss the Worlds to have this done, and the only reason that he's been playing thus far is to improve the optics of the trade, as apparently Tambellini was unaware of his condition.

I have this on good authority - had a long talk with someone entirely in the know about it at the game last night here in Montreal. (I know how absolutely lame that sounds, so feel free to think of this as nothing more than the ramblings of a histrionic board-squatter).
If this is true and the Ducks concealed an injury, shouldn't the Oilers get some kind of compensation? The league should be tough on this sort of thing rather than a 'buyer beware' attitude.

jeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:38 AM
PepsiFiend

The foot thing is a non issue right now... As soon as he starts missing games because of it, fine... This just reminds me of when someone in the know (DSF perhaps?) said Souray was going to retire a few years back.

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Soundwave

If he has surgery in April he should be ready to go by the time the regular season rolls around judging by the recovery time on his foot in Pittsburgh. I'm OK with that.

For a guy playing on "one foot" it certainly doesn't look that way with the way he skates out there.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
oilerfaninleafland

According to this article...if Tambellini didn't know... fire him.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/306581

All players seem to have to clear physicals or medical records received for trades and actually computer systems are involved with all medical records for any team to take a look at in trades.

So... I didn't know is not an excuse.

They must have known his status and they took the trade anyway. They took the chance. I for one don't believe the GM didn't know.

oilerfaninleafland is offline   Reply With Quote