HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CSN Philadelphia Loophole Closed, CSN to be available on other providers.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
CSN Philadelphia Loophole Closed, CSN to be available on other providers.

the FCC closed the loophole which allowed Comcast to only provide Comcast Sportsnet and all the flyers, sixers, etc... games to Comcast customers only.

Comcast appealed, naturally.

and lost.

Court OKs TV rules opposed by Comcast, Cablevision ....

http://www.boston.com/business/techn...t_cablevision/

FINALLY !!!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

FYI there's already a thread on this. But it's good to know it's been approved by the courts and Comcast can go **** off.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=727779

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:30 PM
buff

I'm happy cause i'm want to see CSN Philly on NHL Center ice!!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
sectachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
I'm happy cause i'm want to see CSN Philly on NHL Center ice!!
Center Ice already plays the CSN Philly broadcast quite often...

sectachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
FYI there's already a thread on this. But it's good to know it's been approved by the courts and Comcast can go **** off.

Oh believe me. He knows. Pretty sure 99% of his total posts are in there.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

Actually it's been approved by the FCC, not the courts. Comcast will spend a TON of cash to make sure that the courts either shoot it down, or that they get a piece of the NFL Sunday Ticket action.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Actually it's been approved by the FCC, not the courts. Comcast will spend a TON of cash to make sure that the courts either shoot it down, or that they get a piece of the NFL Sunday Ticket action.
Oh no, now you've gone and done it.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
I hope they get a piece of the Sunday Ticket. I will be buying it. ha

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
According to this article, the court of appeals already upheld the FCC ruling. They'll appeal to SCOTUS now of course, which takes forever and a day, but we're one step closer to seeing the end of this.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
According to this article, the court of appeals already upheld the FCC ruling. They'll appeal to SCOTUS now of course, which takes forever and a day, but we're one step closer to seeing the end of this.
They may have to make it available in the interim, however.

I do think DirecTV better watch its back on the NFL ST issue, though. I'm sure these guys are pooling resources to go after it via the FCC in a big way, and, barring that, going through the courts.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:45 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They may have to make it available in the interim, however.

I do think DirecTV better watch its back on the NFL ST issue, though. I'm sure these guys are pooling resources to go after it via the FCC in a big way, and, barring that, going through the courts.
Fair enough, but they'll fight that tooth and nail too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Fair enough, but they'll fight that tooth and nail too.
Oh, absolutely. I'm also sure there will be tons of posturing about the cost of the channel to DirecTV. In the last thread an estimate of how many subscribers Comcast might lose because of this was put up, and it was a huge number...and when you factor in monthly bills.

Lets just say Comcast should charge an arm and a leg from DirecTV for CSN.

Old
03-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
did you even bother to read the article??

"WASHINGTON—A federal court has upheld regulations that require cable TV companies to make channels they own available to satellite TV providers and other rivals on equal terms."

and, notice that you'll not see ANY reference to 'publicly bid for and won exclusive content' [like NFL ST] regardless of the lame attempts by big cable to try and tie the 2 issues together somehow [instead of simply bidding / winning the content the normal way]

they had 2 chances to 'get a piece of NFL ST', and they passed on winning the bid 2 times. tough luck, big cable.

"Channels they own" is not the same as "publicly bid for exclusive content".

Old
03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Yes.

and yes.

thankfully the shenanigans will cease.

Old
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
did you even bother to read the article??

"WASHINGTON—A federal court has upheld regulations that require cable TV companies to make channels they own available to satellite TV providers and other rivals on equal terms."

and, notice that you'll not see ANY reference to 'publicly bid for and won exclusive content' [like NFL ST] regardless of the lame attempts by big cable to try and tie the 2 issues together somehow [instead of simply bidding / winning the content the normal way]

they had 2 chances to 'get a piece of NFL ST', and they passed on winning the bid 2 times. tough luck, big cable.

"Channels they own" is not the same as "publicly bid for exclusive content".
Nope, I overlooked it, and disagree with the courts. People who don't subscribe to Comcast knew-or should have known-the benefits and liabilities of their choice of provider.

One reason I never subscribed to satellite was because I knew I wouldn't get the Flyers or Phillies. No government agency should be allowed to force a company to give it's assets to a competitor, even if they allow them to charge for it.

Old
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Oh, absolutely. I'm also sure there will be tons of posturing about the cost of the channel to DirecTV. In the last thread an estimate of how many subscribers Comcast might lose because of this was put up, and it was a huge number...and when you factor in monthly bills.

Lets just say Comcast should charge an arm and a leg from DirecTV for CSN.
I'm sure they will, and they shouldn't even be forced to have to offer it.

Old
03-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Nope, I overlooked it, and disagree with the courts. People who don't subscribe to Comcast knew-or should have known-the benefits and liabilities of their choice of provider.

One reason I never subscribed to satellite was because I knew I wouldn't get the Flyers or Phillies. No government agency should be allowed to force a company to give it's assets to a competitor, even if they allow them to charge for it.
Get ready for a battle with Bernie...check out the other thread to see his comedic perspective on this issue.

Quote:
I'm sure they will, and they shouldn't even be forced to have to offer it.
I tend to agree, but at the end of the day don't really care one way or the other. However, a plus may be that it leads to a lower Comcast bill due to the battle to retain customers.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Comcast said it was disappointed in Friday’s ruling.

“The program access rules are based on an outdated and obsolete view of the competitive landscape,” Cablevision said in a statement.

DirecTV and Verizon hailed the ruling as a win for consumers.

“This decision protects consumers’ ability to view the programs they demand as they gain new choices among video providers,” Verizon said in a statement. The phone company has spent billions on its new FiOS fiber-optic network to deliver video and high-speed Internet services.

The circuit court decision comes amid growing concern in Washington about the rules governing access to both broadcast programming and channels owned by cable companies.

On Sunday, after talks broke down between ABC and Cablevision over the fees the cable company would pay to air the network, the ABC station in New York pulled its signal from Cablevision, causing subscribers to miss the first 15 minutes of the Oscars. A coalition of cable, satellite and phone companies seized on the incident to ask the FCC to prohibit broadcasters from interrupting signals during negotiations or before popular events, and to mandate binding arbitration.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski told lawmakers at a hearing Thursday that the FCC would review whether existing federal regulations still make sense.

Friday’s ruling is the second key victory for cable rivals in as many months when it comes to program access rules.

In January, the FCC voted to close to the so-called “terrestrial loophole,” which lets cable companies get around program access rules by distributing programming over landlines rather than satellite connections.

Comcast, Cablevision and Cox Communications Inc. have relied on the loophole to deny sports programming to competitors such as DirecTV, Dish, AT&T and Verizon.

Genachowski praised Friday’s ruling. “The commission’s program access rules have played a vital role in making diverse and attractive video programming available to cable and satellite TV viewers,” he said in a statement.

Quote:
No government agency should be allowed to force a company to give it's assets to a competitor, even if they allow them to charge for it.
if big cable didn't already 'give' CSNs from every other part of the country I'd agree with you.

but they do.

and I don't agree with you.

[because big cable refuses to]
the FCC is essentially forcing them to allow the US residents that want to watch the Philly Teams Home Town RSN on satellite, be able to do so ..... since big cable already does that for fans of every other city's teams. they are forcing them to treat everyone in the country the same.

kind of a shame that they only treat fans of the Philly Teams Home Town RSN this way, since that is the city that gave them huge tax breaks and other incentives to locate here, but hey ..... 'that's Comcastic!!"

essentially, if they did not allow every other RSN that they own on satellite, I'd agree with you.

then again, if my grandma had balls she'd be my grandpa

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.