HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's be reality: Pens/Devils

Old
03-12-2010, 08:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Let's be reality: Pens/Devils

This was a very frustrating game. So let's relax and just talk about the game and where the Pens go from here.

Some things that stand out:

- Coaching: I think Bylsma really needs to start coaching. We had the same game plan against the Devils each time and it's the same result. I spoke about it during the GDT so I won't waste time here.

- Players forcing the play: So much east-to-west movement. The team from last year moved the puck north/south and played a very simple game. This season, we are forcing plays east-to-west.

For Christ sake, put the puck on net, crash for rebounds. You can't beat the Devils moving east-to-west. It's simple.

- Malkin: I love his passion but he really struggled. I felt bad watching Geno struggle tonight. He has the intensity, but just couldn't get anything working.

- Guerin on Staal line: It doesn't make sense. Jordan played probably his worst game in the last 40 games.

These are just the few items I wanted to bring up. I'm sure there is a lot more to discuss. Have at it.

I'm not 100% sold on the Penguins right now as we get closer to the postseason. We don't matchup well against the better teams because we still make the same mistakes we made the very first game. Our defensive zone struggles. Our powerplay is iffy at best. We aren't pressuring the way we did last season. It's been the same story from the very beginning.

To me, that is all about coaching. It's Bylsma's turn to take over and get back to basics.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
66-29-33

I trashed my room...you should see it now.

IRAGE!!!

**** YOU DEVILS!!!! BRODEUR!!!!UNABLE TO SCORE!!!!!!!REFFS!!!!DEVILS!!!!!BRODEUR!!!!!!

**** life right now.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
AquaticBirdman

Sorry, but the only thing that disgusted me about this game was the officiating, and it's rare that I complain about refs after a loss. That, and the play of our blueliners, who for the most part, looked pretty damned incompetent.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I'm not 100% sold on the Penguins right now as we get closer to the postseason. We don't matchup well against the better teams because we still make the same mistakes we made the very first game. Our defensive zone struggles. Our powerplay is iffy at best. We aren't pressuring the way we did last season. It's been the same story from the very beginning.

To me, that is all about coaching. It's Bylsma's turn to take over and get back to basics.
Bylsma to me has been making a terrible mistake common to many coaches: trying to adapt the players to an idealized system/strategy of his own, instead to adapt the system to the characteristics of his players.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Randy Butternubs
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Let's be reality... we need Geno's parents.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
- Malkin: I love his passion but he really struggled. I felt bad watching Geno struggle tonight. He has the intensity, but just couldn't get anything working.
I only saw half the game, but Malkin created most of the good chances I saw the Pens get. He's not the Geno we saw last year, but he was the best player the Pens had on the ice for the second half of the game, I thought.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
Bylsma to me has been making a terrible mistake common to many coaches: trying to adapt the players to an idealized system/strategy of his own, instead to adapt the system to the characteristics of his players.
Seemed to work quite for him last season, and a better part of this season as well now didn't it? Sorry, but I for one am not ready to start jumping down DB's throat just yet. My only real beef thus far is the excess of playing time ofFeds and Guerin, and the lack of playing time for Poni.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Let's be reality...I thought I already posted something in another plus/minus thread???

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Let's be reality...I thought I already posted something in another plus/minus thread???

That's the "other" plus/minus thread. This one was first.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I C. So, ok I echo the same sentiments from there over here.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Seemed to work quite for him last season, and a better part of this season as well now didn't it? Sorry, but I for one am not ready to start jumping down DB's throat just yet. My only real beef thus far is the excess of playing time ofFeds and Guerin, and the lack of playing time for Poni.
Last year we used a different defensive system and a different strategy when coming to attack. This year we're playing clearly different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to jump on his throat, but if he comes back to the old way, the players will fare better and act better as a team. If not, we'll have trouble during the post-season.

Old
03-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

In before "GENO HAZ LESS GOALZ THEN MATT MOULSON! ZOMG!"

Seriously though. Tough game to lose. Normally I would shrug off people saying the officiating was terrible, but when you miss a call where Zajac CLEAR.AS.DAY moves Fleury's glove out of the way of the puck while it's in the air, and it leads to a goal, that's awful.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post

Which one am I?

Old
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Gold Diamond
Fatty fat fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
Last year we used a different defensive system and a different strategy when coming to attack. This year we're playing clearly different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to jump on his throat, but if he comes back to the old way, the players will fare better and act better as a team. If not, we'll have trouble during the post-season.
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Malkin has less goals that MATT FREAKING MOULSON.

Granted, Moulson is having a career year, but there is no excuse on God's Green Earth that Moulson should have anywhere NEAR the amount of goals that Geno has.

Blame Malkin's linemates if you will, they are part of the problem. But Malkin has looked average this year. For an all-world talent, this is just unacceptable.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:09 PM

Bad reffing or not... the Pens scored one goal. With the way the Devils funnel shots into Marty the Pens shoot first game just isn't going to work against them unless they wait for net presence before shooting. Another thing is that they're always trying to pick those top corners when they should be working Marty's feet.

Plus a huge part of what won the Pens the cup last year was shot blocking and strong play around the slot. Its just not there this year. Scuds and Gill were great at that but this team is just flat out sloppy in those areas.

The only team that I want no part of in the East is the Devils. The Pens just don't match up well against them in every zone.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Lettuce be reality: I'm not impressed with this group. There's crosby and staal and then there's a whole steaming pile of underachieving.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:14 PM
WE ARE PENN STATE

man that was a hard one to stomach. f brodeur who only shows up to play against the pens. i cant stand that. fleury looked mad as hell in the post game interview.

WE ARE PENN STATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Where did Geno's goals go?

- Awful power play. 'Nuff said, Geno scores a lot on the power play, and when it's not clicking he's missing a huge area of production.
- Trying to do far too much on his own, thanks in part to Fedotenko being force fed down his throat all season.
- Exhaustion. Plain and simple. If you need an explanation on why, then stop posting.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Diamond View Post
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Malkin has less goals that MATT FREAKING MOULSON.

Granted, Moulson is having a career year, but there is no excuse on God's Green Earth that Moulson should have anywhere NEAR the amount of goals that Geno has.

Blame Malkin's linemates if you will, they are part of the problem. But Malkin has looked average this year. For an all-world talent, this is just unacceptable.
No, obviously it's not just coaching. There are a collection of little things that are preventing us from playing the way we'd like to see (at least more frequently).
Malkin in general is indeed playing below his normal standard.

Old
03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
lastcupever75
Philip thenet Kessel

Broduer was the difference tonight.

that 2nd goal was an awful freakin reboud by MAF. how many years into his "development" can we expect him to put some of those shots into the corner. then he went down to early on greene's shot

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:30 PM
ComplianceBuyout

Lettuce be Hellmann'srealmayonaise : I just made myself a turkey sang'wich

ComplianceBuyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:02 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Malkin just hasn't been getting the open looks that he was getting in previous years. I don't know whether you can fault his linemates, his inability to find open areas of the ice, or the coaches' lack of adjustments on his line. A lot of the time he does have the puck, he's driving himself into turnovers along the boards or trying to make a one man play across blueline. He's trying to do too much on some occassions. But he hasn't been 'bad' by any means.

All this Matt Moulson take is pretty. . . Stupid. Sometimes players have bad seasons, and sometimes they have great seasons. Malkin's stats aren't where they usually are, but he's still creating chances. These chances just aren't being capitalized on. The two players don't even compare on any level. Moulson's statline this year is a fluke. Malkin's a great player, and great players find ways to succeed. Generally, Malkin's been better over the past 20 games. You just have to hope he can get it together before the playoffs.

Last edited by WhatsaMaatta: 03-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.
WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I blame Fedotenko. Players are so enraged watching him flub opportunities every game they can't focus.

sort of. I think the Devil's just have our number this year. Plain and simple.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Sid has really stepped up for us this year and brought his game to an even higher level imo than before. Geno on the other hand has struggled really badly for most of the year. It's about time he ratchets up his game with the stretch run and playoffs coming up here.

I hope we dont get the Devils in a playoff series, for some reason we constantly play like **** vs them.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
WhatsaMaatta

What does everyone think of putting Kennedy on Malkin's line? He's not your prototypical second liner, but he's a banger who's willing to go into the corners and creates some good pressure in the transition game. A player like that can lighten the load and complement a player like Malkin who doesn't go into the corners consistently(key word here). The question is whether or not this is worth mixing up the Staal line.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote