HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Devils

Old
03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
nTsplnk*

vCash: 500
Plus/Minus Pens v Devils

+ Penalty Kill

+ The 2nd line really seemed to get rolling a little bit. Had some good shifts and good opportunities.

+ The third line played a spirited game. I like Guerin on the line as well.

+ Cooke for beating the **** out of Niedermayer

- Powerplay. Yea, the reffing wasn't good, but come on-we had our opportunities.

- Puck support. It seemed at times Malkin was doing all the work while Poni/Feds sat around.

- Finishing. Brodeur is so frustrating, but we stopped getting to the net as the game went on. No one was screening him and we were, once again, taking single shots and not getting rebound opportunities.

+/-: Fleury. He made great saves (the penalty shot), but at the same time he still worries me positionally. He is always out of position after the first shot-he needs to get some patience like he had in the playoffs last year.

+/-: Malkin. He played a spirited game in my opinion, but he made some pretty damn stupid plays, and I think he stays out so long that it becomes a liability.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Gold Diamond
Til Death do we Part

- Malkin. Has less goals than Matt Moulson.

You read that right.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:47 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Diamond View Post
- Malkin. Has less goals than Matt Moulson.

You read that right.
Let's trade him.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Crozbar

I think the Devils are a darkhorse to take the East; I just don't see Washington coping with their style. Unless Brodeur craps the bed, which he does from time to time ... just not against the Pens.
()

But on a more straight forward note, I hope the Pens somehow avoid having to meet the Devils in the playoffs.

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
mashsoccer37

Andy Greene had a phenomenal game. Not only did he fire off that absolute rocket, but he was marvelous in the defensive zone.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:51 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Let's trade him.
Straight up for Matt Moulson.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashsoccer37 View Post
Andy Greene had a phenomenal game. Not only did he fire off that absolute rocket, but he was marvelous in the defensive zone.
Agreed.

I wish Letang could hit the net like him with that kind of shot.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Deadbolt401

Hopefully, Brodeur falters in the playoffs.

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
Guerin needs to stay the **** out of the PP. noticed how the PP got worse with him back on these last two games?

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

-Officiating. Adams got a major because the Linesman didn't make it clear that it was high stick and then Zajac interfered with Fleury causing a goal.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

The referees deserve a -100 tonight. McCreary needs to retire now, not wait for the spring. Absolutely ridiculous calls.

I STILL can't believe the Zajac goal stood. One of the joke calls of the season. Like when Brad May scored for Det and nobody saw it in but was clearly in. Well this was pretty obvious, too.

Despite the bad call on Adams, that deserves a minus for being such a dumb play at that point in the game. Dumb dumb dumb.

Not that much else to say. Fleury was great on those penalty kills. Really get us in it big time. Bad rebound against Greene, for sure, but we can't expect to win if we can't score more than one goal. We only have one person scoring right now, that's a little scary going into the final stretch.

Hurry back, TK.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:00 PM
gavinator11

-losing puck battles
Is is me or is it just that every time there is a puck battle between a penguin and a devil the devil wins the puck battle, this leads to the devils controlling the puck more, they know how to use a stick more than we do (poke checks, stick checks, how to get away with slashing and other stick infractions, etc, etc)
-passing
We haven't made many clean passes vs the devils, we keep getting too fancy with passing the puck, just make a clean pass

gavinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
gavinator11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
-Officiating. Adams got a major because the Linesman didn't make it clear that it was high stick and then Zajac interfered with Fleury causing a goal.
I don't know why the referee didn't call out a high stick, if he did, Adams would've stopped, Adams didn't know what was happening when skoula touched the puck, it wasn't going to be an icing or an offside. I agree poor officiating.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
PrivatePoni*

Caputi has more points than Poni since the trade on a far worse team.

Guerin is too slow to keep up anymore. Good run old man but time to hang them up.

Sarge looks disinterested anymore. NO physical play and looks lazy most of the time.

Malkin does have less goals then Matt Moulson. Brutal. Dunno WTF his deal is.

NOBODY can finish on this team. We continue to make goalies look otherwordly with missed opportunities.

Letang should not play the point on the PP until he can learn to HIT THE NET!!!!!!!

Sick of the "finesse" play. Too much dangling and trying to make ESPN's top 10 instead of putting pucks on net and cleaning up the garbage. Look how the Devils scored tonight.

1st goal-Blast from the blue line, bounces of the boards and a player is right there in front of the net to chip it in to the empty net.

2nd goal-MAF gives up a GIANT rebound and Greene is right there in the slot to blast it home.

3rd goal-Kovalchuk just wrists it from the blue line and MAF gets his glove knocked out of the way and it goes in.

What were the Pens doing???

Faking shots, no look passes that turn into giveaways, pass, pass, pass, pass, no shot, trying to dangle through 3 defenders and turning the puck over.

Time to SIMPLIFY!!!! Enough of this "globetrotter" approach. Just start shooting and crashing the net. Been saying this all year and yet the Pens still try the razzle dazzle.

I like how everyone was laughing early on about how Kovi was "worthless" on the Devils and how he didn't "fit" in. He just OWNED the Pens with THREE points on the night.

PrivatePoni* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

I've never done one of these before, but here goes.

+

Crosby/Kunitz - These guys really had that extra step tonight. Not every shift, but they actually generated chances. If Sid hesitates to pass to Kunitz, Chris understands what's happening, and goes to the net. What's so hard about this?

Leopold/Eaton
- For my money, these guys are the only ones doing their jobs on the south side of the Blue Line.. For being smaller guys who don't contribute *that* much offensively, they seem to be making much more intelligent decisions than our "Offensive" Defensemen.

Fleury - Not much to be said here. Aside from a goal that should have never happened if not for (Zajac?)'s interference, Flower was SOLID.

Fedotenko - I gotta hand it to Fedex, he's been a lot more gritty than I've seen him in a Penguins uniform. I'm not sure if he's fighting for his roster spot or what, but compared to how he's played for almost 2 years now, he looked like friggin Getzlaf out there (except with hair).

-

Malkin, Talbot, Rupp - While I could make a case for Guerin, Staal, Ponikarovsky and others, I think these three have been by far the biggest no-shows recently. Yes. I am well aware that Malkin was just on a 15? game point streak. Good for him. He still wasn't really dominant during that stretch. There isn't much to say about Geno that hasn't already been said. He just needs to step it up to where he was last season. Wingers are no longer an excuse.

Power Play - I think we ended up with 5 total, but after 4, we had managed a grand total of 2 shots.

I'm sorry, the Power play was better as of late, but compared to what it was, that's not surprising. It still looks exactly the same.

Decision Making - What was Goligoski thinking when he tried (another) blind, behind the back pass on the blue line? That's the second time in 3 games (I didn't see much of the Carolina game) that I've seen Gogo do something stupid that could have been avoided with a simple dump, or a quick shot.

NHL Rulebook - I could care a lot less about shots to the head. It's unfortunate that guys get hurt. But when it comes to guys effectively cheating (like interfering with Fleury's glove), it really gets on my nerves that nothing can be done there. The same goes for the 5-Minute Major called against Adams. Sure, there were still grounds to make the call, but if it wasn't incorrectly labeled as icing in the first place, I seriously doubt that it ends up a major penalty.

/Rant?

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
Fedotenko - I gotta hand it to Fedex, he's been a lot more gritty than I've seen him in a Penguins uniform. I'm not sure if he's fighting for his roster spot or what, but compared to how he's played for almost 2 years now, he looked like friggin Getzlaf out there (except with hair).
This is what is known as "hyperbole" in the dictionary.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Fedotenko sucked again iyam.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:10 PM
gavinator11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePoni View Post
Caputi has more points than Poni since the trade on a far worse team.

Guerin is too slow to keep up anymore. Good run old man but time to hang them up.

Sarge looks disinterested anymore. NO physical play and looks lazy most of the time.

Malkin does have less goals then Matt Moulson. Brutal. Dunno WTF his deal is.

NOBODY can finish on this team. We continue to make goalies look otherwordly with missed opportunities.

Letang should not play the point on the PP until he can learn to HIT THE NET!!!!!!!

Sick of the "finesse" play. Too much dangling and trying to make ESPN's top 10 instead of putting pucks on net and cleaning up the garbage. Look how the Devils scored tonight.

1st goal-Blast from the blue line, bounces of the boards and a player is right there in front of the net to chip it in to the empty net.

2nd goal-MAF gives up a GIANT rebound and Greene is right there in the slot to blast it home.

3rd goal-Kovalchuk just wrists it from the blue line and MAF gets his glove knocked out of the way and it goes in.

What were the Pens doing???

Faking shots, no look passes that turn into giveaways, pass, pass, pass, pass, no shot, trying to dangle through 3 defenders and turning the puck over.

Time to SIMPLIFY!!!! Enough of this "globetrotter" approach. Just start shooting and crashing the net. Been saying this all year and yet the Pens still try the razzle dazzle.

I like how everyone was laughing early on about how Kovi was "worthless" on the Devils and how he didn't "fit" in. He just OWNED the Pens with THREE points on the night.
My point exactly.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

-The coaching staff

I've had it with this ineptness against the Devils. 0 for the last 18 on the PP against them, we can't score period, and we're just about helpless when they have the lead. Any time the coaching staff wants to counter that'd be great.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Gold Diamond
Til Death do we Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharmander View Post
Wait a minute wait a minute....

did you just compare Fedotenko to GETZLAF?????

Oh god I think I need 10 beers right now...

... up my nose.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

+ Leopold & Goligoski

- Blysma, I don't know if he has a beef with Poni, but being in his ear and chirping pretty good a couple games ago couldn't have had a very good effect. I can't think of any other reason to have Guerin on the #1 PP other than his RS.

- Pens got worked over by both teams tonight.

Even - Fleury needs to learn you do not have to go down on shots from the top of the Circles out with no one around him, he only had to look down ice to see that.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 03-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:15 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
Fedotenko sucked again iyam.
Yeah we almost got lucky last game when he almost impaled himself with his own stick.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Break them up on the #1 PP, they have enough quality players to have two solid PP's both at forward & defense.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This is what is known as "hyperbole" in the dictionary.
Yep.

Too bad no one actually knows what that means.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:20 PM
PrivatePoni*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Break them up on the #1 PP, they have enough quality players to have two solid PP's both at forward & defense.
That's fine, but the approach needs to be different. Stop being pass happy and get dirty.

PrivatePoni* is offline   Reply With Quote