HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

NHL: Inside the Equipment room ( SKATES )

Old
03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Hfboards2010

vCash: 500
NHL: Inside the Equipment room ( SKATES )

Latest article on skates (March 5th, 2010)
How to buy and break in a new pair of skates

Another article on skates (October 9th, 2009)
Proper fit the top consideration in buying skates

Enjoy.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:37 AM
HowToHockey

Cool thanks for the links!

I am just about to get off break at work, so I will have to dive in when I get home.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:30 AM
backhander

thanks 4 the reads

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
noobman

How do you know when it's time to replace your skates?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
How do you know when it's time to replace your skates?
Good question would really like to know myself. Ive been with my XVI for just over a year now and they seem to be holding up pretty well but Ive noticed there is starting to be a decent amount of rust on the rivets makes me wonder. Havent noticed the boot itself breaking down at all though so thats good and still got a decent amount of life left on the blades I believe.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

There are players who use the same pair of skates for many years. As long as they work and you like them, then keep em. That is unless you feel like dropping some cash on a lighter more fancy pair.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Good question would really like to know myself. Ive been with my XVI for just over a year now and they seem to be holding up pretty well but Ive noticed there is starting to be a decent amount of rust on the rivets makes me wonder. Havent noticed the boot itself breaking down at all though so thats good and still got a decent amount of life left on the blades I believe.
Externally my boot looks OK, but I think my blade holder is screwy now (skates creak when I walk on them off the ice). I'm unsure whether to get new blades/holders (my blade suffers from pitting anyways) or just get new skates (bought in '07).

I find that the ankle support on my left skate isn't as good as it once was.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Externally my boot looks OK, but I think my blade holder is screwy now (skates creak when I walk on them off the ice). I'm unsure whether to get new blades/holders (my blade suffers from pitting anyways) or just get new skates (bought in '07).

Ya thatd bother me too, Id try and get somethin like that checked out or tightened/whatever needs to be done. Last thing you want is to have your only pair of skates bust on ya when you got somethin commin up.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
There are players who use the same pair of skates for many years. As long as they work and you like them, then keep em. That is unless you feel like dropping some cash on a lighter more fancy pair.
That is what I do ... I get new skates when mine let go somewhere from use. Usually the heel seperates from the boot. Not the holder but the soul glued onto the skate boot.

I'm big and put a lot of torque on skates which is why I am trying to avoid these newer composite skates unless I get a bargain price on some.

Last summer I went and bought the same exact skate I was replacing by shopping online and buying them as a closeout for $99. new they were about $270-$300 in 2003 and are one of the last Bauer Vapor skates to be made in a traditional manner. they do have some composite stuff on the bottom of the boot but overall a traditional skate.

Yeah they weigh more than the composite skate but hey like I said if some composites come along at a decent cheap price as a closeout I may try some.

I want some Graf skates actually now that I think about it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Quote:

The creaking just means you need new rivets. Go get your skates re-riveted. You can replace the steel on most skates without replacing the holder (unless you have super cheap skates) so that will help save you some money.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote