HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"I apologize for questioning you Dean Lombardi"

Old
03-12-2010, 10:49 PM
KingPuckChoo

vCash: 500

because all the people that bashed you last year and the previous year will never admit they are wrong, i have the courtesy of apologizing for them, even if I have never questioned you (try going through all my posts). Now it's safe, that you have done more for the Kings than half of the Kings' past GMs (if not more).

So here it is...

see, it's not that hard

KingPuckChoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:56 PM
SLang

I've never been a Dean detractor, but really - get us a Cup first.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I've never been a Dean detractor, but really - get us a Cup first.
Dynasty or bust?

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
because all the people that bashed you last year and the previous year will never admit they are wrong, i have the courtesy of apologizing for them, even if I have never questioned you (try going through all my posts). Now it's safe, that you have done more for the Kings than half of the Kings' past GMs (if not more).

So here it is...

see, it's not that hard
Dean said the only way he'll accept your apology is if you lose to me in the Championship round again

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:12 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
Dean said the only way he'll accept your apology is if you lose to me in the Championship round again
haha, well... I don't have to apologize cause I've been a supporter from the get go, so i'll see you in the finals

Old
03-13-2010, 06:18 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:

So here it is...

see, it's not that hard
Lets set this record straight:

I bashed DL, not just here, but I questioned his methods (his charts with boxes) and decisions right to his face. I asked him how he could look to send away a guy like Cammy. I bet him money that Handzus wasnt worth 4mil. I yelled on these pages about Sully for Williams (but mainly because I had bought an O'Sullivan jersey three friggin weeks before he was sent packing). I laughed at the bridge signings, called him out on Cloutier. Heck I hung "the Shill" moniker around his neck, and didnt miss an opportunity to use it.

Fast forward to today: I have paid on my bet. I have eaten my plate of crow, and happily chow down another spoonful with every visit to STAPLES. In fact, I'm ordering a whole couple months worth of CROW for dinner before March 21 when my playoff invoice is due. I am happy to say I WAS WRONG, but that and a quarter still hasnt brought Los Angeles a CUP, or even a single playoff round win.' So lets not annoint him emperor YET. And I do understand as well as anyone that you have to be invited before you can hang at the party. So far so good, but like a hot goalie with a ten game streak and not much more, we don't YET have much to show for it.
BUT I AM OPTIMISTIC and that counts for alot where this team is concerned, and many longtime fan~skeptics are similarly cautiously optimistic as well. I think its fairly obvious that we have a good core to build around, a will for many years to come, but we are not there yet.

That said, I think DL would be the first to tell you that this season has been far, FAR, better than he or anyone else could have expected. No ONE expected JQ to be as good as he has been, and no one expected the boys to gel as quickly as they have. We are ahead of schedule, but no one knows what the future holds.

But if going deep into the playoffs and hoisting a cup requires me to take a bath in crow soup, consider it done, and, I'll repeat the process as often as needed, if it improves our chances.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
His first 2 years as GM were awful. If you want to go back into time and make corrections then the correct decision would have been to blow up Dave Taylor's re-build and start over. Year 3 I finally started to see a clear direction. You hire a coach and bring in players that fit that coach's system to a T. Same thing happens last summer and the results are there. Lombardi fed the fans a bunch of ********* his first 2 years. Some bought it, others saw the same ******** Dave Taylor was doing. Lombardi was signing players no other NHL team wanted because nobody would play here, LA was a joke. Then he would lie to the fans telling them those players were mentors or bridge players. Looking back on those players and their roles the Kings would have been better off just signing nobody and partying at the draft, which is what happened anyway. The fans have finally been rewarded this season, although it's still to early to be congratulating the Kings. From where I sit Lombardi finally has done his job, I shouldn't have to kiss his butt for him doing what he promised he would. Nice job Dean but don't loosen that tie just yet, you still have some work to do.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:33 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Lombardi's biggest, and hopefully best moves are yet to come.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 07:53 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Lombardi's just getting started. He came into this organization and realized the farm situation was worse than he thought. He's done what any competent general manager would do (and lord knows there are only a few of them in the league): traded for picks and prospects. Thankfully he put a ton of resources into assembling one of the best scouting staffs in the league.

Now is where we see what Lombardi can really do. He's got a good, young core. He's got cap space. The team is winning. Now, what does he do from qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in 8 years to winning a Stanley Cup? That's what I'm most interested to see.

I've believed in Dean Lombardi from the beginning. It's been painful as hell but he's done a good job. Now let's see how he takes us from good to great!

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:26 PM
KingPuckChoo

sometimes i wonder, if the Cloutier signing was just a way for the Kings to guarantee a top pick, you know how he does these things right? like winning the game against TB to finish 29th so that we wouldnt have to feel the pressure of not choosing Stamkos (cause he really wanted Doughty) ...

so maybe it cost us 2 2nd round picks to grab Doughty???

maybe...that would be too insane though...but sometimes i wonder...if grabbing Cloutier was really part of his mad mad plan that he has

i dunno.

Old
03-13-2010, 10:27 PM
KingPuckChoo

but u have to admit going for injured players all the time (although risky is still a genius move)

getting good players at a discount (i.e. Modin)

again...idunno

Old
03-13-2010, 10:30 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

I'm not going to apologize yet. If Kings become a constant playoff team and be a widely known legit contender with these guys, then I'll consider it.

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:24 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
sometimes i wonder, if the Cloutier signing was just a way for the Kings to guarantee a top pick, you know how he does these things right? like winning the game against TB to finish 29th so that we wouldnt have to feel the pressure of not choosing Stamkos (cause he really wanted Doughty) ...

so maybe it cost us 2 2nd round picks to grab Doughty???

maybe...that would be too insane though...but sometimes i wonder...if grabbing Cloutier was really part of his mad mad plan that he has

i dunno.
I suppose you believe the moon landing happened on a sound stage in San Bernardino too?

I dunno, but maybe you ought to loosen the band on your tin foil hat at night.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I have not been a Lombardi fan. I was upset at the cloutier trade and sign, hated the bridge players, questioned whether i could cheer for a lombardi gmed team after the Visnovsky trade, was upset about the handling of cammy and osully. Yet somehow he has scraped together a winning team here in game 67 of his 4th! season as GM. We are playing great and the sky looks to be the limit for the future.

Ok, but let's for a second look at what we have so far accomplished. Won Cup? No. Finals? No. Won a playoff series? No. Won a playoff game? No. Hell we have not officially qualified for the playoffs yet. Don't count your chickens till they hatch as the old saying goes.

Now I am excited as the next guy about the Kings future, but is this really the start of Lombardi guided dynasty? I do not know nobody knows. Remember this is the same guy who did a great job of rebuilding the San Jose team, but once he had assembled his squad had trouble taking the next step into a perrenial contender(even missed playoffs in 02-03), it took his firing for San Jose to take that next step (now the playoffs troubles are more recent not his fault).

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There were a few Kings fans (including yours truly) who understood what Dean Lombardi's plan and intentions were when he stepped in. The free agent acquisitions and other additions in the early stages of his tenure were not intended to be part of the long term plans.

What Dean did want to do was ice a team that can at the very least compete against other NHL teams to buy him time while piling up a number of prospects and draft picks that will develop into core players.

He was very fortunate to inherit young talent in Kopitar, Quick and Brown (just as Brian Burke was when he took over the Ducks and had Getzlaf and Perry waiting to emerge). I think he sent a message to his staff when he selected Hickey 4th overall. Don't listen or do what everyone else in the hockey community says or does. Set a plan, stick to it and never stray away from it.

The first three years was established to assemble young talent. He is responsible for Bernier, Doughty, Johnson, Simmonds and Moller. He turned a depreciating asset in Visnovsky into Stoll and Greene, character players who aren't flashy but have helped this team establish an identity. The same foresight led to the Demitra trade. There were a ton of veteran players that Lombardi dealt. He knowingly put his team in a position to end up with an elite defenseman.

Successful teams will go through stages, the most important one is identifying what type of team they are, and that starts with management and the coaching staff and trickles down to having the right players who will make that commitment. That is the "culture" that Lombardi speaks of and once that is established from within, other players or "outsiders" who walk in to the dressing room will know what the Kings stand for and what is expected of themselves as a representative and a member of the Los Angeles Kings organization.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Heck I hung "the Shill" moniker around his neck, and didnt miss an opportunity to use it.
There's the understatement of the year.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:24 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
but u have to admit going for injured players all the time (although risky is still a genius move)

getting good players at a discount (i.e. Modin)

again...idunno
Modin and Halpern are 2 great expamples of Lombardi and Murray being on the same page. It's not Kovalchuk, it's not Whitney but they are 2 players who can be dropped onto any line and fit into the system perfectly. The Kings can enter the playoffs rolling 4 lines all capable of putting the puck in the net and keeping it out.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Picking at old wounds. Patience was a word I remember alot of people not wanting to hear, understandably.

LA has come a long way, here's hoping we keep getting better.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Lombardi's biggest, and hopefully best moves are yet to come.
.I think he made his best moves by not trading. Bigger,,,making a splash,,maybe..but better...time will tell.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
.I think he made his best moves by not trading. Bigger,,,making a splash,,maybe..but better...time will tell.
I don't get what you are saying because he traded away some players that a lot of people whined and complained about sending away.

- Demitra
- Cammalleri
- Visnovsky
- O'Sullivan

None of these guys is exactly "the straw that stirs the drink" on a winning hockey team. So, I don't get your point about his best moves were by not trading. Looks like to me he correctly identified the guys that needed to go, and sent them packing.

I don't think Lombardi is looking to make a big splash, just to make a splash this off season either. Lombardi is all about making the team better. I don't think he cares about making a "big splash". You already see them hedging about Kovalchuk at the Breakfast with the GM, and I ran into a guy after the game that should be in the know on such things at an establishment across from Staples Center that said basically, "People shouldn't get their hopes up about Kovalchuk, unless he is willing to take a 4 year deal and for a lot less than $10M a season." So, there you have it.

I still think if Marleau doesn't re-sign in San Jose, that he will be the first player to pop up on Lombardi's radar this off season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I've never questioned Lombardi. . . I question most of the posters on this board.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I've never questioned Lombardi. . . I question most of the posters on this board.
Did you question Dave Taylor?

Old
03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Did you question Dave Taylor?
Wasn't a fan back then, I became a fan after the lock-out

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Ollie Weeks

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I support Dean Lombardi regardless of the occasional cockup.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:08 PM
palffytofrovlov

I was a fan of DL when he was first hired and drank his kool-aide since the beginning and I think he has done a very good job. As much as we can thank DT for Kopitar, Brown and Quick. DT and Al Murray really messed up the franchise by quick fixes and striking out on high risk players, especially that 2003 draft. I don't think when DL took the job did he know how bad we were. Has he made mistakes? yes of course all GM's do, no ones perfect, but what he has brought to the Kings is a better development program and better drafted players, people question the Hickey and Teubert picks. But Hickey was the WHL defensement of the year and 2 time WJC gold medal winner, this year he got injured, but he is only 20 years old. Teubert is a mean defensemen, Gold medal under 18 team and WJC and will take time but it was more a need that he envisioned for the team.

As far as his free agent signings and trades, most have been positive especially when getting draft picks and he would have gotten more if Rob Blake would have waived his no trade contract but heck we wont go there anymore. I graded DL its a B+, he will only get an A if in the next few years we hang a Stanley Cup banner. But overall he has done way more good then bad, plus I love his passion which I as a fan can appreciate.

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote