HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa @ Vancouver 10:00 PM EST, CBC

Old
03-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Listen to Milbury
Milbury

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
roughing
Stop making things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
1.1 Roughing – Roughing is a punching motion with the hand or fist, with or without the glove on the hand, normally directed at the head or face of an opponent.

Roughing is a minor altercation that is not worthy of a major penalty to either participant. (An altercation is a situation involving two players, including goalkeepers, with at least one to be penalized).
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26343

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:03 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn86 View Post
Milbury
You've played 750 games in the NHL? And coached another 300 making it to the cup and the conference finals?

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
You've played 750 games in the NHL?
I doubt he has, but he may have hit someone in the head with a shoe

Old
03-13-2010, 09:05 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Ok, read the attempt to injure rule

Ron just made a great point on the Hot stove. If a player gouges another players eyes out, by your logic there is no penalty
There's another rule that states poking someone's eye out is legal? That's the difference.. There's no contradiction between two rules in this scenario that I am aware of..

A shoulder to the head is legal, I will say this for the last time. You CAN NOT suspend someone over something that is stated in the rule book as a legal hit. It's pretty clear..

However, I do think Matt Cooke is a *****. The hit on Savard was legal, but it was one of those clean but dirty hits..

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

Quote:
You've played 750 games in the NHL? And coached another 300 making it to the cup and the conference finals?
Fuhr

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Hey guys, canucks fan here.

This game is going to be hell for Vancouver to win, as this is the first game back from the longest road trip in nhl history.

Honestly the only chance we will win this game is if Luongo stands on his head, and Ehrhoff continues to be the beast he is this year.

3-1 sens

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:08 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn86 View Post
Fuhr
I'm guessing disregard for human life is the "in" thing this month.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:08 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
There's another rule that states poking someone's eye out is legal? That's the difference.. There's no contradiction between two rules in this scenario that I am aware of..

A shoulder to the head is legal, I will say this for the last time. You CAN NOT suspend someone over something that is stated in the rule book as a legal hit. It's pretty clear..

However, I do think Matt Cooke is a *****. The hit on Savard was legal, but it was one of those clean but dirty hits..
Im not an idiot. Anything that takes place on the ice, legal or not, can be subject to an attempt to injure penalty.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:09 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Im not an idiot. Anything that takes place on the ice, legal or not, can be subject to an attempt to injure penalty.
I just don't understand how a legal hit can be suspension worthy.

It does not make sense to me

Old
03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
MatthewT

Quote:

And I don't understand how biting someone is considered roughing....

Old
03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Pyke*

Quote:

Rule 29.1 of the NHL Rulebook:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26315
Quote:
29.1 Supplementary Discipline - In addition to the automatic fines and suspensions imposed under these rules, the Commissioner may, at his discretion, investigate any incident that occurs in connection with any Pre-season, Exhibition, League or Playoff game and may assess additional fines and/or suspensions for any offense committed during the course of a game or any aftermath thereof by a player, goalkeeper, Trainer, Manager, Coach or non-playing Club personnel or Club executive, whether or not such offense has been penalized by the Referee.
If an investigation is requested by a Club or by the League on its own initiative, it must be initiated within twenty-four (24) hours following the completion of the game in which the incident occurred.
Rule 43.1:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331
Quote:
43.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
  • Charging shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.
  • A minor, major or a major and a game misconduct shall be imposed on a player who charges a goalkeeper while the goalkeeper is within his goal crease.
  • A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease area. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an opposing player makes unnecessary contact with a goalkeeper. However, incidental contact, at the discretion of the Referee, will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
H2ODP

Quote:
I never said you were an idiot? Thanks..

The problem with throwing in a match penalty on a legal hit is that sets a bad precedent on every following hit the moment they do that. It's easier to just change the definition of what a legal hit is, which will happen very soon it sounds like.

If you think that Cooke deserves a match penalty, then I guess you would agree that Chris Neil deserves it for half of the big hits he throws because he's attempting to injure the opponent?

Old
03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Did you read what Colin Campbell said? He addressed everything and as the rules stated it was legal. http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24465019&postcount=1
Quote:
We’ve had two hits in the past five or six years that have been more than a second that we suspended, and they were both by the same player, Cam Janssen who is now with St. Louis. I don’t know if you can remember Scott Stevens hit on Paul Kariya in the finals. That was half-a-second late. On our machines you can have 30 clips (MY NOTE - fps or frames per second to be technical), for lack of a better term, which adds up to a second. This one was 18. Thirty is one second. When people see this hit, you see it in fast motion, but slow motion looks like three or four seconds late. This one was 18. A little bit over a half-a-second.
Quote:

Not through the criteria we’ve used. We’ve debated this with general managers time and time again. Darcy Regier had the situation where [Chris] Neil hit [Chris] Drury about three or four years ago when Drury was playing for Buffalo, and he was about 21, which would be maybe three quarters of a second, in that area. They still didn’t determine that as late.
Unless your arguing that every hit is in someway a charge...

Old
03-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Sabres lose in OT!

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I don't think Ottawa wins this one, but if they do, 3-1 again Go SenS GO!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
I never said you were an idiot? Thanks..

The problem with throwing in a match penalty on a legal hit is that sets a bad precedent on every following hit the moment they do that. It's easier to just change the definition of what a legal hit is, which will happen very soon it sounds like.

If you think that Cooke deserves a match penalty, then I guess you would agree that Chris Neil deserves it for half of the big hits he throws because he's attempting to injure the opponent?
Not every player has the past history and reputation that Cooke has, that has to come in play too. A match comes with attempt to injure. Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if the league handed out a suspension.

And Boston just scored, nice.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Did you read what Colin Campbell said? He addressed everything and as the rules stated it was legal. http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24465019&postcount=1

Unless your arguing that every hit is in someway a charge...
Yea it wasn't a charge, he didn't leave his feet or take 3 strides into Savard.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:30 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Good Luck Sens fans!!!

My favourite-ist Eastern Canada team!

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
H2ODP

Quote:
Not every player has the past history and reputation that Cooke has, that has to come in play too. A match comes with attempt to injure. Its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things if the league handed out a suspension.

And Boston just scored, nice.
I agree reputation should come in play on suspensions. However I don't think it applies in this situation. I think Cooke probably intended to injure Savard based on his previous history, but Cooke's actions were legal. I just don't like the idea of suspending a player on a legal hit, whether the player is injured or not.

I think half of the problem is on the fault of the player on the receiving end. You talk to the best players in the game and they will tell you they take notice when someone like Chris Neil steps on the ice because they know if they don't they're going to get hurt, usually from a clean hit, so should the player get a match penalty for that? I don't think so.. that's hockey..

Old
03-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Yea it wasn't a charge, he didn't leave his feet or take 3 strides into Savard.
There's no requirement for a charge to be 3 strides.... It's just convention.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:43 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
I agree reputation should come in play on suspensions. However I don't think it applies in this situation. I think Cooke probably intended to injure Savard based on his previous history, but Cooke's actions were legal. I just don't like the idea of suspending a player on a legal hit, whether the player is injured or not.

I think half of the problem is on the fault of the player on the receiving end. You talk to the best players in the game and they will tell you they take notice when someone like Chris Neil steps on the ice because they know if they don't they're going to get hurt, usually from a clean hit, so should the player get a match penalty for that? I don't think so.. that's hockey..
fair enough

go sens go

Old
03-13-2010, 09:44 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
There's no requirement for a charge to be 3 strides.... It's just convention.
right, its just a general rule of thumb I was taught while doing hockey canada's officiating courses

Old
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Red

Good luck tonight and the rest of the season guys! Ottawa is by far my second favourite team.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hey guys, canucks fan here.

This game is going to be hell for Vancouver to win, as this is the first game back from the longest road trip in nhl history.

Honestly the only chance we will win this game is if Luongo stands on his head, and Ehrhoff continues to be the beast he is this year.

3-1 sens
I hope you're right, but the Sens are not a good road team, and right now our PP ain't worth a pile of ****, so I say the Canucks have a very good chance of winning this game. Canucks win 4-1.

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote