HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean O'Donnell

Old
03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Dmoney97

vCash: 500
Sean O'Donnell

More and more IMO, this guy is becoming a big liability. I like him, I think he is a solid defenseman and, a good mentor, but lately his decision making and execution hasnt been to good. Ive seen a lot of bad passes and piss poor clearing attempts. I know his numbers as of right now are a little better than last years but I think that's just because of how good the guys are playing around him. I'm sure his elderliness has alot to do with it. I just hope this doesn't hurt us in the playoffs. Any thoughts?

Dmoney97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
ride the snake

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
ride the snake
to the lake.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:01 PM
JDM

The ANCIENT lake

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Youngblood93

I wouldn't mind seeing him get some nights off down the stretch and replace him with 44DD

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=b7809c19.flv

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Johnny Utah

I brought this up awhile back...I love the guy, but I really think the Kings might need to look at a younger option this off season....Morris, Mitchell....idk...someone who plays OD's role but is a little younger and more skilled.

He has also lost the mean streak he had in the pre-season.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

O'Donnell is 38 and his ice time has in fact decreased from last season (went from 20:29 average ice time in 2008-09 to 18:39 in 2009-10).

Last season he was regularly paired with Drew Doughty, this season he has had a rotation of defense partners, having been paired with Greene, Scuderi and recently with Jack Johnson.

Some players seem to be struggling since returning from the Olympic break. It isn't only O'Donnell. The timing of Matt Greene seems off as well. Doughty and Johnson look exhausted at times. Randy Jones is as dumb as ever. The only stalwart thus far has been Scuderi. He is always steady and stable.

O'Donnell should be used in a bottom pairing to depth role, which I think he will be utilized as should the Kings retain him for next season. What I would like to see happen is for one of the defensemen in Manchester to graduate to the NHL with the Kings replacing O'Donnell's minutes with a top 4 veteran defenseman.

There are two names who will be unrestricted that jump out at me as players that would immensely upgrade the Kings' defense: Pavel Kubina or Anton Volchenkov. Kubina can play in every situation and log over 20+ minutes. Volchenkov is one of the best hitters on the blueline and he is someone I've wanted since the 2000 draft.

There are other options out there that could improve the Kings defense. Paul Martin will be the most coveted free agent defenseman and I see him being paid very handsomely, thus crossing him off the list.

Dennis Seidenberg, Dan Hamhuis and Zdynek Michalek will also be on the open market and are all great options, but I think they will receive long-term contracts that Lombardi would be reluctant to sign as he has to deal with both Doughty and Johnson being RFAs next summer.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Shellz

We should try to trade him while his value is still high

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoney97 View Post
More and more IMO, this guy is becoming a big liability. I like him, I think he is a solid defenseman and, a good mentor, but lately his decision making and execution hasnt been to good. Ive seen a lot of bad passes and piss poor clearing attempts. I know his numbers as of right now are a little better than last years but I think that's just because of how good the guys are playing around him. I'm sure his elderliness has alot to do with it. I just hope this doesn't hurt us in the playoffs. Any thoughts?
... O'Donnell's a +15 this season and he's a +1 since the break. He is, for all intents and purposes, the veteran captain of the team. He's obviously not as mobile as he once was, but to say he gets bailed out by his teammates is at best a half-truth. He's bailed out his partners (Johnson and Greene mostly this season) on more than several occasions, and he plays in front of a terrible puckhandling goalie. He was a rock in the Chicago game on Wednesday, and he played over 22 minutes in that one. As long as he's used intelligently, there's no reason he can't be a solid playoff contributor ... and I think he has another season in him after this one as a 6th or 7th defenseman. For people who claim to worship intangible values, no one brings more of those than O'Donnell does in my opinion.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... O'Donnell's a +15 this season and he's a +1 since the break. He is, for all intents and purposes, the veteran captain of the team. He's obviously not as mobile as he once was, but to say he gets bailed out by his teammates is at best a half-truth. He's bailed out his partners (Johnson and Greene mostly this season) on more than several occasions, and he plays in front of a terrible puckhandling goalie. He was a rock in the Chicago game on Wednesday, and he played over 22 minutes in that one. As long as he's used intelligently, there's no reason he can't be a solid playoff contributor ... and I think he has another season in him after this one as a 6th or 7th defenseman. For people who claim to worship intangible values, no one brings more of those than O'Donnell does in my opinion.
You're wasting your time.

When it comes to numbers most of the posters here can't get past the number 38 when it comes to OD.

They'll think differently once they reach or pass that age themselves but for now, 38 is the only numbers that matters to them.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
O'Donnell is 38 and his ice time has in fact decreased from last season (went from 20:29 average ice time in 2008-09 to 18:39 in 2009-10).

Last season he was regularly paired with Drew Doughty, this season he has had a rotation of defense partners, having been paired with Greene, Scuderi and recently with Jack Johnson.

Some players seem to be struggling since returning from the Olympic break. It isn't only O'Donnell. The timing of Matt Greene seems off as well. Doughty and Johnson look exhausted at times. Randy Jones is as dumb as ever. The only stalwart thus far has been Scuderi. He is always steady and stable.

O'Donnell should be used in a bottom pairing to depth role, which I think he will be utilized as should the Kings retain him for next season. What I would like to see happen is for one of the defensemen in Manchester to graduate to the NHL with the Kings replacing O'Donnell's minutes with a top 4 veteran defenseman.

There are two names who will be unrestricted that jump out at me as players that would immensely upgrade the Kings' defense: Pavel Kubina or Anton Volchenkov. Kubina can play in every situation and log over 20+ minutes. Volchenkov is one of the best hitters on the blueline and he is someone I've wanted since the 2000 draft.

There are other options out there that could improve the Kings defense. Paul Martin will be the most coveted free agent defenseman and I see him being paid very handsomely, thus crossing him off the list.

Dennis Seidenberg, Dan Hamhuis and Zdynek Michalek will also be on the open market and are all great options, but I think they will receive long-term contracts that Lombardi would be reluctant to sign as he has to deal with both Doughty and Johnson being RFAs next summer.

I agree about Volchenkov, but I would only add one of those other guys if we do add another more physical guy...We could possibly lose Jones and O'Donnell, one physical guy and one puck mover...so if the Kings don't plan on letting the young guys battle it out, they need one Volchenkov/Morris/Mitchell and one Martin/Hamhuis/Seidenberg.

Eventually, Voinov/Hickey could take the spot Jones plays in and Teubert/Muzzin could take O'Donnell's...but I don't see that happening next season. So we could use one stay at home guy with bite and one puck mover.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 05:59 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

I know he's losing a wee bit of speed due to old age...but it isn't a reason to give him a senior citizen's bus pass as of yet... A couple games of rest might be ideal for him down the stretch...

King RAZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 06:34 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
ride the snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
to the lake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The ANCIENT lake
the snake is long,
seven miles,
Ride the snake,
he's old . . .
and his skin is cold.

The WEST is the Best

try this version on for size!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM
JMFJ 3

He's still serviceable but not on a nightly basis, Murray has to keep him fresh or else he can become a huge liability.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote