HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Expectations in Jersey Exciting For Kovalchuk

Old
03-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Mike View Post
If we won the cup but Kovy ended up leaving NJ would it still be acceptable to get his jersey?
Absolutely.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils34 View Post
I think it's comedy to watch them waste money and struggle, except when they draw players away from NJ.
Me too.

But if you stop and think about it, why does that happens to the Rangers so often?

Because they go out an buy the the biggest prise of Free Agency and never address real team needs. Instead of building, they want a name for the marque.

When you have major holes in your teams defense, lack of quality forwards and you go out spend all your dollars on Gaborik you're bound for trouble.

All your money tied up in a couple of players while they rest of your team toils and can't be fixed because of no resources. They did this before there was even such thing as a Cap.

From the sound of this thread, it sounds like we want to try our hand at it also.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:44 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Jim <3 Kovy

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Jim <3 Kovy
I really have no issue with him....I enjoy watching him. I love his interviews and think he says all the right things.

I only have one issue; I don't think he really addresses any of our teams current needs.

I've always been a big believer that it is better to have two quality players at the same price as 1 marque player...In other words it is better to have two 25 goal scorers @ 7 Million than one 50 goal scorer at 7 Million. And it has never been more true than in this cap era.

I think if we were to resign Kovalchuk, our real needs will go unanswered and we will have to continue to ice a mix-matched bunch of forwards and work under even greater financial restraints.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I really have no issue with him....I enjoy watching him. I love his interviews and think he says all the right things.

I only have one issue; I don't think he really addresses any of our teams current needs.

I've always been a big believer that it is better to have two quality players at the same price as 1 marque player...In other words it is better to have two 25 goal scorers @ 7 Million than one 50 goal scorer at 7 Million. And it has never been more true than in this cap era.

I think if we were to resign Kovalchuk, our real needs will go unanswered and we will have to continue to ice a mix-matched bunch of forwards and work under even greater financial restraints.
I disagree. You'd honestly rather have 2 players, such as lets say Rolston and Gionta, who will score you around 25 goals every year, over a franchise player like Kovy who can change a game like none other in this league, and has had multiple 50 goal seasons playing on one of the worst franchises of the past decade?

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ4 View Post
I disagree. You'd honestly rather have 2 players, such as lets say Rolston and Gionta, who will score you around 25 goals every year, over a franchise player like Kovy who can change a game like none other in this league, and has had multiple 50 goal seasons playing on one of the worst franchises of the past decade?
Yes I would and I've come to that believe from watching the Devils for the last 25 years.

We never had that one forward as good as some of our division or conference rivals but we always had better balance. We never had a 50 goal scorer or 100 point player but when we were very good all four of lines could win us a game. The parts, all the parts need to fit.

That philosphy is exactly why this team has never had to rebuild. It is the exact reason the Devils are good every year. Balance on 4 lines, good defensemen in a sound system with Quality goaltending is the method Lou has built championships with. It is as viable a strategy today as it was when Lou first took over.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
lucscaps

I have to agree, I would rather have two game breaking lines in the zzpops line and the kovey/elias/zubes line with a bottom six of youth and shutdown players then having to spread out to many 25 goal guys on three lines.

I'd rather the top two lines average 20 to 25 mins per game and dictate the play.

lucscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Dr Grant

Quote:
Yes I would and I've come to that believe from watching the Devils for the last 25 years.

We never had that one forward as good as some of our division or conference rivals but we always had better balance. We never had a 50 goal scorer or 100 point player but when we were very good all four of lines could win us a game. The parts, all the parts need to fit.

That philosphy is exactly why this team has never had to rebuild. It is the exact reason the Devils are good every year. Balance on 4 lines, good defensemen in a sound system with Quality goaltending is the method Lou has built championships with. It is as viable a strategy today as it was when Lou first took over.
We've never had that 50 goal sniper before as you said, and that's why I think it's worth it to try one out for a few years, because even without Kovy, this team has a great forward group, add Kovy and the team is 10x better than it already was. We also have pretty good forward prospects expected to make the team in the next couple of years to bump out some of the washed up vets we have.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:31 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ4 View Post
We've never had that 50 goal sniper before as you said, and that's why I think it's worth it to try one out for a few years, because even without Kovy, this team has a great forward group, add Kovy and the team is 10x better than it already was. We also have pretty good forward prospects expected to make the team in the next couple of years to bump out some of the washed up vets we have.
But at what expense? Do you think we can sign a Kovalchuk, sign a Martin, sign Parise to the new contract soon, upgrade our defense, up grade the center ice position?

I don't think you can do it all. I think adding a Kovalchuk is at the expense of more depth, balance and immediate needs. That really is in contrast to the way the Devils have done business over the years

I can't recall a top heavy team ever having long term success. Can you?

Old
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
But at what expense? Do you think we can sign a Kovalchuk, sign a Martin, sign Parise to the new contract soon, upgrade our defense, up grade the center ice position?

I don't think you can do it all. I think adding a Kovalchuk is at the expense of more depth and balance. That really is in contrast to the way the Devils have done business over the years

I can't recall a top heavy team ever having long term success. Can you?
Penguins.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/stats.h...eason=20082009

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucscaps View Post
I have to agree, I would rather have two game breaking lines in the zzpops line and the kovey/elias/zubes line with a bottom six of youth and shutdown players then having to spread out to many 25 goal guys on three lines.

I'd rather the top two lines average 20 to 25 mins per game and dictate the play.
Exactly..I don't know who in their right mind would take Joffrey Lupul and Chris Higgins or Brian Rolston and Owen Nolan or Petr Sykora and RJ Umberger over Ilya Kovalchuk. If they both cost the same cap hit (7 mil) why on earth would you not want Kovalchuk?

Unknown Caller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
Quote:
Love the Chuk, and that is a nice gesture to the fans who have been great since we picked up Kovalchuk, the level of excitement and intesity has been great the last month.
He's gonna see the other side with 11k in the crowd v.s Boston.

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:36 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
What long-term success have the Penguins ever had??? They didn't even have long term success with the Great Mario.

That team is 3 years removed from missing the playoffs.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou's Koolaid View Post
Probably. But upcoming games against Pittsburgh, NYR, St. Louis (Saturday night), and Chicago should all be pretty full. That only leaves Boston, CBJ, and the pretty meaningless games that end the regular season with empty seats.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
What long-term success have the Penguins had??? They didn't even have long term success with the Great Mario.

And less than a year removed from winning a cup. They're top heavy.

Barring something crazy, this will be their fourth consecutive playoff year. In that run they have two SCF appearances and a win.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Still probably beats a non-divisional draw for the Thrashers.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:41 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
And less than a year removed from winning a cup. They're top heavy.

Barring something crazy, this will be their fourth consecutive playoff year. In that run they have two SCF appearances and a win.
I think this incarnation of the Penguins needs some time before "long-term" success can be called....

Granted, winning a cup makes everything else irrelevant though.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:42 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
I'll take one ****** crowd in the middle of six sellouts compared to one sellout in the middle of six ****** crowds.

I dont know if anyone has noticed, Kovalchuk seems to bring more energy to this building, which has been incredibly loud since he has joined up.

Its a shame, if that blizzard didnt happen this team would average over 16k easily this season.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
What long-term success have the Penguins ever had??? They didn't even have long term success with the Great Mario.

Okay, if two stanley cup finals and a dominant team in the league for now 4 or 5 years doesn't constitute long term success, what does?

And what "balanced" team has been as successful as Pittsburgh (besides NJ obviously)?

Old
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

Quote:
Still probably beats a non-divisional draw for the Thrashers.
Absolutely.

Old
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
I think this incarnation of the Penguins needs some time before "long-term" success can be called....

Granted, winning a cup makes everything else irrelevant though.
Exactly.

I could care less 10 years from now if Kovy brings us a cup now.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr Grant

Quote:
I'll take one ****** crowd in the middle of six sellouts compared to one sellout in the middle of six ****** crowds.

I dont know if anyone has noticed, Kovalchuk seems to bring more energy to this building, which has been incredibly loud since he has joined up.

Its a shame, if that blizzard didnt happen this team would average over 16k easily this season.
Same can be said about this board too. When he joined, I recall a number of new members. We also filled up 4 straight GDT's. It's not surprising though. These are the kinds of players the fans want to see.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

Quote:

Something for managment to consider after July 1st.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
Exactly..I don't know who in their right mind would take Joffrey Lupul and Chris Higgins or Brian Rolston and Owen Nolan or Petr Sykora and RJ Umberger over Ilya Kovalchuk. If they both cost the same cap hit (7 mil) why on earth would you not want Kovalchuk?

Yup...During the 1995 playoffs everyone of our opponets said the same thing..

Boston said you don't have any forwards as good as Neeley and Oates or a defensemen as good as Bourque

Pittsburgh said Jagr is the best player in the League and we didn't have a single forward as good Ron Francis or Luc Robitaille.

Flyers had the best line the League, The Legion of Doom. We counldn't contend with that. Lindros was shaping up to be the next Mark Messier and would win Hart trophy in the following season.

And then there was Detriot. The "Most talented team in the League" How could the Devils possibly beat a team with Fedorov, Yzerman, Coffey, Ciccarelli, Primeau and Fetisov???

Balance! 4 lines that could be out there with anyone's best line at anytime. Not the best players in the league but good top to bottom. Any player could and did win an individual game

Who would want a Claude Lemieux and Neal Broten over a Steve Yzerman and Sergie Fedorov right??? Anyone who would want a Shawn Chambers over a Paul Coffey simply doesn't understand the game????

The team is greater than just indiviuals, always has been.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

Quote:
Yup...During the 1995 playoffs everyone of our opponets said the same thing..

Boston said you don't have any forwards as good as Neeley and Oates or a defensemen as good as Bourque

Pittsburgh said Jagr is the best player in the League and we didn't have a single forward as good Ron Francis or Luc Robitaille.

Flyers had the best line the League, The Legion of Doom. Would counldn't contend with that. Lindros was shaping up to be the next Mark Messier and would win Hart trophy in the following season.

And then there was Detriot. The "Most talented team in the League" How could the Devils possibly beat a team with Fedorov, Yzerman, Coffey, Ciccarelli, Primeau and Fetisov???

Balance! 4 lines that be out there with anyone's best line at anytime. Not the best players in the league but good top to bottom. Any player could and did win an individual game

Who would want a Claude Lemieux and Neal Broten over a Steve Yzerman and Sergie Fedorov right??? Anyone who would want a Shawn Chambers over a Paul Coffey simply doesn't understand the game????

The team is greater than just indiviuals, always has been.
But back then the NHL was a "garbage leauge" and we could get away with everything the trap etc.