UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Edina's also rolling on Minnetonka - 3-0 halfway through the second.
What they lack in top end talent they make up for with great overall depth.

3-2 UMD with 2 seconds left on a 5 on 3 PP.

Old
03-13-2010, 08:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
UM up 1-0 on UND after 2 periods.
Tied at 1 about halfway through the second - NoDak just had a goal called off.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Tied at 1 about halfway through the second - NoDak just had a goal called off.
Whoops, the score I saw probably should have said after 1.

Old
03-13-2010, 08:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Figured we might as well have a thread for this given the UMD and UM series posts have been sprinkled throughout a few threads.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Gophers get two in 48 seconds - 3-2 Minnesota!

Old
03-13-2010, 09:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Gophers win 4-2 and forces Game 3 tomorrow night in Grand Forks. The U still needs to pick up their game some (got outshot 43-26 and took too many penalties) but it was so much better than last night.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:38 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Gophers win 4-2 and forces Game 3 tomorrow night in Grand Forks. The U still needs to pick up their game some (got outshot 43-26 and took too many penalties) but it was so much better than last night.
Watched the first and third period, glad to see the win. I think we got a good chance tomorrow night. Thought it was over when UND scored that goal to go up 2-1

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Watched the first and third period, glad to see the win. I think we got a good chance tomorrow night. Thought it was over when UND scored that goal to go up 2-1
Same here.

Old
03-14-2010, 11:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Congrats to UMD and SCSU on reaching the F5 and RIP 2009-2010 Minnesota Golden Gophers (I'm off the ledge, I swear). Apparently we will find out if the Final Five and attendance at the X can exist without them.

Old
03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Congrats to UMD and SCSU on reaching the F5 and RIP 2009-2010 Minnesota Golden Gophers (I'm off the ledge, I swear). Apparently we will find out if the Final Five and attendance at the X can exist without them.
Oh you know they'll still sell that place out It will feel weird not seeing Minnesota there at all though. Any rumblings of some head coach shakeups forthcoming??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Should be able to get great, CHEAP tickets for the games this week. I'm trying to remain patient until the below face tix start popping up.

#4 Minnesota-Duluth vs. #5 North Dakota Thursday at 7pm.

#2 Wisconsin vs. #3 St. Cloud State Friday at 2pm.
#1 Denver vs. UMD/NoDak winner Friday at 7pm.

Third Place Game is Saturday at 2pm.
Championship Game is Saturday at 7pm.

UMD should be an underdog against North Dakota (1-3 against them this year). I just think UMD's smurf line might have some trouble with North Dakota since they're typically pretty physical.

All told this should be a weekend of great college hockey. Often times I'm more impressed with the quality of play in the WCHA tournament vs. the NCAA.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Oh you know they'll still sell that place out It will feel weird not seeing Minnesota there at all though. Any rumblings of some head coach shakeups forthcoming??
It's probably the best-case scenario the X could have for a Gopher-less F5, but I wouldn't be surprised if the overall attendance goes down given the way they sell tickets. I agree with UMD Bob that there will be some cheap seats as long-time ticket holders try to sell their seats.

And as far as a head coach shakeup goes, one of my friends summed it up best in a text after the game: "Pitchfork or torch? I think torch would be more badass, but pitchfork can do more bodily damage." There's always rumblings because Gopher fans don't accept failure and this is essentially year 3 of not hitting the ungodly expectations placed upon Lucia; however as much as that and the calls for Dean Blais will continue to happen I expect tDon to be back unless he leaves on his own terms. He gets one more shot to fix the malaise which has set on the Gopher program (some of it is self-inflicted while other problems have been out of his control) although hopefully this will be done without John Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
Should be able to get great, CHEAP tickets for the games this week. I'm trying to remain patient until the below face tix start popping up.

#4 Minnesota-Duluth vs. #5 North Dakota Thursday at 7pm.

#2 Wisconsin vs. #3 St. Cloud State Friday at 2pm.
#1 Denver vs. UMD/NoDak winner Friday at 7pm.

Third Place Game is Saturday at 2pm.
Championship Game is Saturday at 7pm.

UMD should be an underdog against North Dakota (1-3 against them this year). I just think UMD's smurf line might have some trouble with North Dakota since they're typically pretty physical.

All told this should be a weekend of great college hockey. Often times I'm more impressed with the quality of play in the WCHA tournament vs. the NCAA.
I'm pretty sure North Dakota is the fourth seed given Minnesota-Duluth played CC in the 5-6 series. However I do agree about the Final Five being a great and competitive tournament between the quality of play and rivalries. You know it's a great conference when four of the top six teams in the country are WCHA members.

Old
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I think you're right - ND should be #4. I went based off of conference standings (tied in points, but UMD had 1 more win) instead of head-to-head, which is how I think they decided it.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
It's probably the best-case scenario the X could have for a Gopher-less F5, but I wouldn't be surprised if the overall attendance goes down given the way they sell tickets. I agree with UMD Bob that there will be some cheap seats as long-time ticket holders try to sell their seats.

And as far as a head coach shakeup goes, one of my friends summed it up best in a text after the game: "Pitchfork or torch? I think torch would be more badass, but pitchfork can do more bodily damage." There's always rumblings because Gopher fans don't accept failure and this is essentially year 3 of not hitting the ungodly expectations placed upon Lucia; however as much as that and the calls for Dean Blais will continue to happen I expect tDon to be back unless he leaves on his own terms. He gets one more shot to fix the malaise which has set on the Gopher program (some of it is self-inflicted while other problems have been out of his control) although hopefully this will be done without John Hill.

I'm pretty sure North Dakota is the fourth seed given Minnesota-Duluth played CC in the 5-6 series. However I do agree about the Final Five being a great and competitive tournament between the quality of play and rivalries. You know it's a great conference when four of the top six teams in the country are WCHA members.
I didn't even do my option for my seats for this very reason. While I do want SCSU to do something good, I'm not expecting a Minnesota team to win it. Denver is on another level.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:50 AM
djp4516

Duluth could win it again. If they get good goaltending from whoever they end up putting in goal, something they don't always get, (I'm related to Hjelle, fun fact.. he's my second cousin), they can win. They split with Denver eariler in the season.

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Duluth could win it again. If they get good goaltending from whoever they end up putting in goal, something they don't always get, (I'm related to Hjelle, fun fact.. he's my second cousin), they can win. They split with Denver eariler in the season.
That's an even bigger slap in the face to the Huskies and Gophers

Old
03-17-2010, 10:02 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Yeah, they can definitely repeat. I'm not a big fan of the matchup vs. UND on Thursday night though. I'd prefer to be playing the Gophers.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Congratulations to the St. Cloud State University Huskies in honor of their future 2010 WCHA Final Five runner-up banner and of course the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux for once again proving that the regular season (particularly the half before Christmas) doesn't matter.

And while we're on the subject of congratulations...congrats to Red Baron for another great year of sponsoring the WCHA Final Five, Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha for getting the chance to win the Broadmoor in 2011, Wisconsin for winning the all-important third place game (may it forever rest in peace next year), Alaska-Anchorage for giving teams two extra games each year and of course the fans for almost proving that attendance at the Xcel Energy Center would not drop without the Minnesota Golden Gophers in the F5. Still proud of the attendance figures though - 16,000 for college hockey game not part of the Frozen Four and featuring two out-of-state teams is great.

Old
03-21-2010, 08:15 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Hey Sioux Sioux!

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote