HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The FMIV love thread: 'Freddy Meyer > You'

Old
03-13-2010, 11:34 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

vCash: 500
The FMIV love thread: 'Freddy Meyer > You'

As the one person other than Freddy Meyer V that wears a Freddy Meyer IV jersey to games, I just want to tell the haters: EAT IT.

He makes a bit above the league min, hits hard, plays with an edge, and busts his ass EVERY Night.

I hope we keep him.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
As far as I can tell, nobody has ever questioned his work ethic.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:45 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
As far as I can tell, nobody has ever questioned his work ethic.
Works his a$$ off and is very smart, unlike #8, but at the same time we have to pay Martinek, Witt and Gervais next year and Snow is talking about adding 2 guys and we already have Streit, MacDonald, Hillen and Kohn.

I'd love to package Gervais and Martinek for a bad contract like Horcoff at this point, addition by subtraction.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I'd love to package Gervais and Martinek for a bad contract like Horcoff at this point, addition by subtraction.
Taking a huge bite of that **** sandwich of a contract is nowhere near the price of jettisoning Gervais.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Works his a$$ off and is very smart, unlike #8, but at the same time we have to pay Martinek, Witt and Gervais next year and Snow is talking about adding 2 guys and we already have Streit, MacDonald, Hillen and Kohn.

Maybe if we could package the trio of Witt, Gervais, and Martinek. But Horcoff is way overpaid and at least our guys only have 1 year left.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:49 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Taking a huge bite of that **** sandwich of a contract is nowhere near the price of jettisoning Gervais.
I watched Kovy tonight and you were 100% correct in his lack of interest in playing the defensive zone at all, it was baffling. Do not recall the Islanders ever having this much puck control at times in the Devils end of the ice.

Well if you put Witt into the trade with Gervais, it starts to look like something. We just need to rid ourselves of him at this point (Gervais)

Old
03-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Well if you put Witt into the trade with Gervais, it starts to look like something. We just need to rid ourselves of him at this point (Gervais)
Dude, Horcoff has 5 years left on his deal after this year. Please, now.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Ouch, I though it was originally a 5 year deal but with like 2 years left now.

That's pretty bad, probably worse than Drury, I wouldn't go near that contract.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
majormet

Quote:
Yeah and he is 31 years old, and had one good season in his life, he is pointless. Gervais makes me lose my mind at times, he just finds ways to make simple plays turn disastrous. We have like 6 million tied up next year in Gervais, Witt and Martinek, just don't see how Snow is going to sign 2 guys unless they are Lukowich types.

Old
03-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Groin Of Bates

As hard as he works, still don't want Freddy on the team next year. Maybe as a 7th, only. Unless the team rids themselves of Gervais. Then, I keep him as a 6th.

Don't want Horcoff either .

And, any money attached to Martinek is a waste.

Last edited by Groin Of Bates: 03-14-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:37 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
As the one person other than Freddy Meyer V that wears a Freddy Meyer IV jersey to games, I just want to tell the haters: EAT IT.

He makes a bit above the league min, hits hard, plays with an edge, and busts his ass EVERY Night.

I hope we keep him.

I'm with you totally. As Jaffe says, he may be small but he plays big! We just need some size that plays that way too!

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
KH1

How sad has the Isles team gotten that Freddy Meyer stands out as a bright spot?

I have a lot of respect for Fearless Freddy. The organization made it clear that they had very little regard for his abilities when it waived him, and instead of whining or giving up he kept working hard and earned his spot in the lineup back. He plays a tenacious game, and despite his small size he doesn't back down from anyone.

That said, he's an awful defenseman. He goes out of position to make hits which don't even register because of his diminutive stature. He allows forwards to skate right by him in the defensive zone without giving a second thought to how the play may be developing. He is unable to clear the crease until 10 seconds after the whistle.

Fearless Freddy doesn't crack the lineup of a playoff team, much less get top 4 minutes like he does on the Isles.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Yitz

Quote:
Yeah and he is 31 years old, and had one good season in his life, he is pointless. Gervais makes me lose my mind at times, he just finds ways to make simple plays turn disastrous. We have like 6 million tied up next year in Gervais, Witt and Martinek, just don't see how Snow is going to sign 2 guys unless they are Lukowich types.
They're expiring contracts and we have so much cap room that I don't think the 6mil tied up in those three will really hinder Snow's options that much. That is, if Wang allows him to spend any money.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Pnut

Freddy is a 7th dman at best on a contending team.....just for teh playoffs. It shows you how bad this defense is. Of course he can have an ok game like last night, but then he'll have 3-4-5 games right after that you don't notice a thing and if you do its a giveaway that leads to a goal for the other team.

Yank Gervais, Meyer, Marti and Witt off the team and replace them with ANY OTHER NHL dmen and there is a good chance that 4 random NHL dmen (even with only #6 and #7 fill ins) will be better.

People better hope that the youngins get here soon and develop quickly once on NHL ice (de Haan, Hamonic and maybe a d pick this year) because we still have big ol problems. Probably wont be much better next year, but we can be hopeful because this dcorps can't get much worse.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Raise the bar, people. Really.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Marty is actually an extremely good, sound defenseman. If he wasn't so freaking injury prone I believe his skills would have them near the top of the league.

Old
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Marty is actually an extremely good, sound defenseman. If he wasn't so freaking injury prone I believe his skills would have them near the top of the league.
I really hope you forgot the

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Sideshow Bob

the warrior has a great game last night. jumping in on the play to get the team's first goal, laying some big "sutton-esque" hits, and did a nice job breaking up potial scoring chance passes. although the stat is not on the isles web site - i recall hearing or reading somewhere that he leads the team in hits (if anyone has a link for the stat that would be good). for a small guy I've seen him throw some really nice hip checks.

To be clear he is not an elite level player of top-pairing defenseman, but he is an NHL level servicable bottom-pairing defenseman, who has done a reasonable job stepping up when needed. There was also a stretch last year when redek was out (surprise!), sutton was out, witt was out when FMIV lead the corps. Sure, he's had some bad games - who hasn't? Hillen, who has been a pleasant surprise this season had a lousy game last night. Freddy's effort level and perseverance have earned my respect. There is a place for him on a team that has to make up for a lack of skill with heart and determination.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:53 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

the pews of the Blessed 44th Chapel are filling up.

He is a hockey god, and I am his prophet.

Team Leader w/ 121 hits and counting.

Old
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Raise the bar, people. Really.
Lol.

For the (not the) last time, Meyer is just too small to be more than a #6 in this league.

He will not be a part of this team when (if?) it decides that winning is what it wants to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Old
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
the warrior has a great game last night. jumping in on the play to get the team's first goal, laying some big "sutton-esque" hits, and did a nice job breaking up potial scoring chance passes. although the stat is not on the isles web site - i recall hearing or reading somewhere that he leads the team in hits (if anyone has a link for the stat that would be good). for a small guy I've seen him throw some really nice hip checks.

To be clear he is not an elite level player of top-pairing defenseman, but he is an NHL level servicable bottom-pairing defenseman, who has done a reasonable job stepping up when needed. There was also a stretch last year when redek was out (surprise!), sutton was out, witt was out when FMIV lead the corps. Sure, he's had some bad games - who hasn't? Hillen, who has been a pleasant surprise this season had a lousy game last night. Freddy's effort level and perseverance have earned my respect. There is a place for him on a team that has to make up for a lack of skill with heart and determination.

The sooner the Islanders start demanding talent and results and stop being complacent with feel good stories and "heart and effort" the sooner they will start making real progress.

Look, it's great that Freddy Meyer works his ass off and plays hard. That doesn't make him a useful player. In a league where Jody Shelly and Petteri Nokelainen are moved for draft picks, not a single one out of 29 teams saw any use in getting Freddy Meyer for free. That's all you should need to know.

You would think Vince Papale was the GM of the Islanders with the way they hand out playing time to guys like Tim Jackman and Freddy Meyer. No, the Islanders aren't going to be a contender overnight, but you have to set the bar somewhere. This isn't a 3rd grade co-ed recreational soccer team where everyone gets a participation award. The Islanders are running a professional hockey team and need to start acting like they are.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
The Islanders are running a professional hockey team and need to start acting like they are.
When does Sather get that memo?

He's gonna put Gabby on his ass.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
I really hope you forgot the
No, but there WAS a mistake. That was supposed to be 'him' not 'them', referring to him among D-men, not the Islanders in the standings. Sorry.

Old
03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
When does Sather get that memo?

He's gonna put Gabby on his ass.
Sather is an absolute joke of a GM.

That has nothing to do with my post at all.

Basically you had no intellectual opposition to my post so you just came up with this garbage.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote