HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The FMIV love thread: 'Freddy Meyer > You'

Old
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
majormet

vCash: 500
Given a choice of going into next year with a 6/7 of Gervais/Martinek vs Meyer/Reese, I would gladly opt for the latter, but the culinary one and the injured one are signed for good money and unless someone takes them off our hands, we are saddled with them. Which means Meyer is gone and Reese is the #8 dman.

I am also a little skittish about Hillen of late, he seems to make some bad outlet passes, but I think it is the fear coming back from the injury. In a realistic world our d will be

Streit/MacDonald
2 FA's (Seidenberg/Aucoin)
Hillen/Martinek

7/8 Gervais/Reese

Ideally the top 4 remain the same with:

Hillen/Meyer

7/8 - Reese/Kohn

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:13 AM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I would only keep Meyer(and use him as a 7th) if we were able to peddle off Gervais to somebody else.
I don't understand the... We already have Gervais, therefore dump Meyer.

Meyer has been one of our most consistent/reliable D-man over the past 40 games.

We have Gervais for another year, and it sucks. But it doesn't mean we get rid of Meyer.

We re-sign Meyer, as well as 2 top 4 UFA D-men. If Gervais is the odd man out and has to go through waivers so be it.

Hopefully we can pawn off Gervais in a salary cap trade. (ie. We take Campbell you get Gervais - just an example, not like it will ever happen).

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post

Meyer has been one of our most consistent/reliable D-man over the past 40 games.

We have Gervais for another year, and it sucks. But it doesn't mean we get rid of Meyer.

We re-sign Meyer, as well as 2 top 4 UFA D-men. If Gervais is the odd man out and has to go through waivers so be it.

Hopefully we can pawn off Gervais in a salary cap trade. (ie. We take Campbell you get Gervais - just an example, not like it will ever happen).
The thing is.. that it is just not Gervais, there is Martinek and yet we still have to consider that Witt is around.

No question Meyer/Reese beats out Gervais/martinek for 6/7 in my book, but contracts speak louder than words.

Old
04-02-2010, 12:37 AM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
The thing is.. that it is just not Gervais, there is Martinek and yet we still have to consider that Witt is around.

No question Meyer/Reese beats out Gervais/martinek for 6/7 in my book, but contracts speak louder than words.
I'm fine with Martinek, because when healthy he is a top 4 D-man on most nights. When he breaks down that's when you try to call up Gervais. If some sucker claims him (hopefully someone like the Rags) then I'm fine with Reese.

Witt I think will be heavily shopped in the offseason, or he definitely will be traded at the deadline (teams didn't want to pay for that extra year on his contract this past deadline).

Old
04-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:

Well, I'm not as sold on Meyer as others are. As someone already said Gervais had a stretch like this last year also and look how he has played this year.

I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1 year deal, but he is a UFA and idk if he wants to be a 7th/8th d-man(if we sign some UFA's).

I just don't want another Gervais situation(locking up a crappy d-man for multiple years).

Last edited by Doug Height: 04-02-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
contracts speak louder than words.
Exactly my point.

Contracts. Martinek isn't going anywhere. Gervais/Witt situations will both be interesting to see how it plays out. I can easily see Gervais being back on this club next year as a 6th and having Kohn/Reese/Flood/whoever else in BP as the 7+ depth.

Meyer looks good because our defense consists of a proven NHL D-man in Mark Streit, 2 budding NHL D-men (Hillen/MacDonald, but the jury is still out imo) and 3 AHL defensemen. For all the times he's looked good, he has looked AWFUL. He needs to go. I don't want Gervais OVER Meyer, but as MM mentioned, you have Martinek too (waste of a roster spot at this point). The team does not need both of them...and for some reason I don't see them getting rid of Bruno.

Last edited by Groin Of Bates: 04-02-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Will be interesting to see what eventually happens. First off, I am not so sure one can bank on acquiring (2) UFA defense men that are top 4 given our track record of actually getting people of that caliber to sign.

With that, Meyer is by far the only physical presence we currently have on D. I know that is not saying much based on the sate of our D as compared to a real one, but based on that and the fact he has played well over the last half of the season, I think you really have to consider signing him....short term. Worst case he is 7 or 8 as we will need that depth with Martinek back.

Never have been a big Bruno fan, even when he was "playing well".

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Pnut

Quote:
I'm fine with Martinek, because when healthy he is a top 4 D-man on most nights.
yes but when is he healthy???

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

A good NHL team needs to be about 9 Dmen deep.

Freddy Meyer certainly fits in there in the bottom 4-5.

No reason not to keep him around.

I'd wage that he's quite popular with his teammates as well. He knows the system and has enough ability with the puck to continue to play well in this system.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
He can sure throw some hists for a man his size!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 01:24 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
yes but when is he healthy???
I think next year is a make or break (hopefully not litterally again) for Martinek. He needs to stay healthy

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
TheBoss22

Anyone read Botta's blog today?

The Warrior is known as Crusher in the locker room.

Goes to show you they don't read message boards.

And he'll always be The Warrior to me.

Last edited by TheBoss22: 04-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Satan'sIsland81

First of all, Freddy Meyer definitely deserves to come back as a #6 d-man. I would say we have a #1 in Streit and a #3 and 4 in Hillen and A Mac. We know Martinek will get injured so I think we need to add a #2 and a #5 this offseason, with one of them being a big physical type guy.

Second, not to be a dick, but I remember how many threads I started 2-3 years ago about how awful Gervais was and is. I cannot even count how many times I had to defend my opinion by saying that he brought nothing to the table: no offense, no defense, no physical play, giveaways on just about every shift. This is not just this year, he has been pretty much awful since the day he put on an Isles jersey. In any other organization this guy would be a career minor leaguer. I always said that Freddy Meyer and others were better than him and all I ever got was ridicule and people telling me that Gervais was good and young and going to get even better. Now, suddenly everybody realizes how much he sucks. Well, I realized that 3 years ago or more.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
First of all, Freddy Meyer definitely deserves to come back as a #6 d-man. I would say we have a #1 in Streit and a #3 and 4 in Hillen and A Mac. We know Martinek will get injured so I think we need to add a #2 and a #5 this offseason, with one of them being a big physical type guy.

Second, not to be a dick, but I remember how many threads I started 2-3 years ago about how awful Gervais was and is. I cannot even count how many times I had to defend my opinion by saying that he brought nothing to the table: no offense, no defense, no physical play, giveaways on just about every shift. This is not just this year, he has been pretty much awful since the day he put on an Isles jersey. In any other organization this guy would be a career minor leaguer. I always said that Freddy Meyer and others were better than him and all I ever got was ridicule and people telling me that Gervais was good and young and going to get even better. Now, suddenly everybody realizes how much he sucks. Well, I realized that 3 years ago or more.
Difference being that he had time to grow back then and he still shows flashes of good play from time to time. Those "flashes" were supposed to become more common with him. They haven't.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:41 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post

i realized it at bruno's birth. where's my cookie?

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

167 hits in 60 games. Fear Freddy Meyer, for he will destroy you.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:10 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Just thought I'd mention that Freddy is now top 40 in the league in hits and is a plus defenseman on this god awful blueline.

Numbers don't lie. Not bad for 600k.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
Just thought I'd mention that Freddy is now top 40 in the league in hits and is a plus defenseman on this god awful blueline.

Numbers don't lie. Not bad for 600k.
Not bad, still has limitations in size and speed, if we did not have Gervais, Martinek and Witt, he would be an option.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:17 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Quote:
Not bad, still has limitations in size and speed, if we did not have Gervais, Martinek and Witt, he would be an option.
Witt will get his walking papers. Gervais WILL be moved, and frankly, you can't rely on Marti.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:19 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Volek View Post
Witt will get his walking papers. Gervais WILL be moved, and frankly, you can't rely on Marti.
Look I will take Meyer/Reese as my 6/7 over any of those guys next year, if we sign Aucoin and Sutton for the top 4 with Hillen in the bottom pairing with the 2 underdogs, but Meyer will be in Columbus next year and Reese will be in Bridgeport, sadly.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:44 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

I'll need to pony up for a Blue Jackets new 3rd jersey then.

Old
04-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Look I will take Meyer/Reese as my 6/7 over any of those guys next year, if we sign Aucoin and Sutton for the top 4 with Hillen in the bottom pairing with the 2 underdogs, but Meyer will be in Columbus next year and Reese will be in Bridgeport, sadly.
If that's the best we can do, God help us.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
If that's the best we can do, God help us.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Just filling in names for the most part of the type of player we need, basically a big body that hits and another offensive defenseman. I can put in Kim Johnsson and Shaone Morrison. From what I have read on rumor sits (grain of salt) the money going to guys like Volchenkov and Hamhuis, will probably scare Wang away.

Old
04-07-2010, 03:31 PM
The KGBeast

You have to spend money to make money. Hamhuis is a guy they should be looking to spend money on. We'll see, I guess.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
Hawks Bandwagoner

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The KGBeast View Post
You have to spend money to make money. Hamhuis is a guy they should be looking to spend money on. We'll see, I guess.
I like Hamhuis. I also like Corvo to play with Streit on the powerplay.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote