HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Primary International Rivalries

Old
05-01-2010, 04:00 AM
unknown33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
The Austrians want to beat the Germans.
Confirmed.

unknown33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 05:10 AM
SirKillalot

Norway

1) Sweden - because papers in both countries is going to go ballistic if we actually win. And because of Cross-country/nordic/alpine events. And football/soccer.

2) See ---> 1)
3) See ---> 2)
4) See ---> 3)
5) See ---> 4)

SirKillalot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:26 PM
torero

Switzerland ... is a complicated country because of many national languages.

Italian speaking : want to beat Italy
French speaking : want to beat France
German speaking : want to beat Germany
Reto Romanch speaking : I have no Idea but certainly one of our neighbourgs!

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
EbencoyE

Americans only care about Canada and Russia

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Pioneer13

I don't even think Americans care about Russia any more than they care about Sweden, Czech, Finland, Slovakia, etc. In my opinion, Canada is the only rival with the U.S. right now. The days of the scary red army in CCCP jerseys were a generation ago.

Pioneer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Frank Bascombe

If Sweden are out, most of us would probably cheer for the Finns.
I don't think you would find many Swedes supporting the Canadians however ...

Frank Bascombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Brun0

Don't you swedes feel like more that its nicer to win the no.1 team(canada) But there's nothing worse than loosing to Finland/Sweden.

I can never get over the 06 final loss. Finland was just so dominant in the tournament and then lose 3-2. Lidström scores right of the faceoff and in the end Jokinen had a wide open net and missed.

Brun0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:56 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
A fantastic Lundqvist save is a "miss" in the eyes of a Finn?

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:32 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Canada, USA and Russia form a threesome of hate.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
William H Bonney

For Team USA: Outside of the obvious answer of Canada, I'd actually say that Team USA's next biggest rival at this point is Finland. Almost every game between the USA and Finland has been a great game for the most part since at least the 2004 World Cup as I can remember. There's been some bad blood such as the Brown hit at the WC a few years back along with the Backes fight right after that. For the fans it's Russia because of history and the bigger names but I'd actually rank them like this:

1) Canada

2) Finland
3) Russia

4) Everyone else.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
sonny side up

ze french want to beat ze germans.

US and Iceland had a nice rival for a few years

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Nakawick

Quote:
Originally Posted by third sedin View Post
canada's rivalry with russia is based on their history. usa one could claim has been more dominant than russia in the last decade, and we've had more matchups with the states at the olympics, canada cup, etc. (no one gives a shiat about the WC) and yet people still feel our biggest rival is russia. i wonder if the states will ever surpass russia in terms of rivalry. i guess when they start beating us!

i think i was about as excited when canada beat russia in a quarter finals game as i was when they won gold.
any other canadians just as excited that we destroyed the russians as they were when canada won gold???
I was. The USA rivalry seems more intense at the junior level.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Eple
It ain't easy being

For Finland it's Sweden and nothing even comes close.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:46 AM
begbeee

For slovaks the biggest rivalry is Czechs. Nothing is close to that.
There is huge rivarly with Hungary, but they played only one in first division of WCH.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:00 AM
tarlinian

I'd say as US fan. That the team I want to lose the most is Russia. Despite the Cold War being before my time, there's still some lingering hatred in the American psyche for Russia. I just don't dislike Canada. After that it's Canada, but it's more of a sibling rivalry sort of thing, where you just want to finally be better than "big brother".

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer13 View Post
I don't even think Americans care about Russia any more than they care about Sweden, Czech, Finland, Slovakia, etc. In my opinion, Canada is the only rival with the U.S. right now. The days of the scary red army in CCCP jerseys were a generation ago.
Russia was the core of the red machine though. Plus, there are still politics involved. Russia is still a big competitor and opponent of the U.S. when it comes to geo-politics (CIS/NATO and what not) which you can easily see by ever watching American media stories about Russia or vice versa.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post

now that is pretty complicated. I don't even know how you guys can all get along.

Also why Italian speaking swiss would want to beat Italy? and so on? shouldn't it be like French speaking swiss wants to beat Germany or something like that?

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:27 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post

now that is pretty complicated. I don't even know how you guys can all get along.

Also why Italian speaking swiss would want to beat Italy? and so on? shouldn't it be like French speaking swiss wants to beat Germany or something like that?
1) we get along ... with problems ! actually the country is often split in political votings. Yet the army (it is a compulsory milice) still gathers us and many are mixed (i am swiss german origin and live in french speaking part since i was a kid). Marketing, legally and administrativelly all has to be written, indicated and labelled in 3 languages. English is often added. the result is a multicultural society where people speak well at least 2 languages, 3/4 are normal, 5 is good ... .

2) i guess you hate your perceived neighbourg. You may hate the one who is the noisiest. So i am on the french side, i am exposed to french medias.
The rivalry concept is finally about an elite oponent (often a hiden love and an open hate affair). Brothers are often rivals. So i guess in Switzerland we feel brother with the other Swiss and also with our linguistic similars. Therefore we also want to beat our national rival (as you mention french speaking, italian speaking and german sepaking) but the scope of this thread was on an international level.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Unless Denmark would suddenly become a top level hockey nation, Finland is always going to be the primary international rival of Sweden, even if those games only really get emotional for the Swedish fans if it is the Swedes who end up on the losing side these days.

The problem with Swedish sports rivalries is that Swedes don't really dislike our neighbouring countries very much, in fact we tend to like them, even if we do have "Norway-jokes" and have some collective prejudice towards Finns.
What confuses me the most though is why we don't seem to have any real hate towards the Danes, considering most of our countries histories were spent fighting bloody wars trying to wipe the other off the map.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
What confuses me the most though is why we don't seem to have any real hate towards the Danes, considering most of our countries histories were spent fighting bloody wars trying to wipe the other off the map.
Because Denmark sucks when it comes to sports. It's hard to hate someone when they don't have any sports where they are at the top. Their football team used to be pretty damn good (Euro 92 was a classic against Germany) but nowadays it's pretty meh.

Finland, Sweden and Norway share all the wintersport rivalries (well, except for Hockey Norway) so it's pretty easy to get emotionally involved.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Crazyhorse

I wan't Sweden to beat Canada. It. Is. Not. Close.

They are the prime hockey country, currently and historically(With the Soviet dominance in the middle 20th century as an exception). They love their game more then anything else, that's why they also tend to bring the occasional most biased, smug-like idiot fans there is. I know every country have them, but the worst ones, by my empirical knowledge, are from Canada.

They play exciting - always playing physical but also with finesse. They play the ultimate game, simple as that. But, what really gets me going...

...Is the WC-finals of 97'. I will never forget it. I have never witnessed a more pathetic display of sportsmanship in my entire life. That canadian team where brutes. Savages. They where the equivalent of the Broad-street-bullies. Sweden was probably the greatest team in the tournament, atleast skillwise, but the canadians brought them down with their ugly, classless play, punished them physically and at one point almost castrated a swedish player(i think it was Thuresson). The finnish crowd cheered for the canadians and where mocking the swedes. Canada won the finals by 2-1 (best of 3) and my hate for them was established. Canadian hockey teams, that is(i am a huge admirer of Canadian cultural history and the country's growth and establishment within the British empire).

I remember that i where disgusted at the time, but i realize now that the games in the WC-finals 97 was among the best ones i have ever watched. The keyword is hate. There are few sports that could bring that dimension of hate like hockey. And none does it better then the canadians. That's why i admire their hockey, and thats why i also hate them.

Last edited by Crazyhorse: 05-08-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:24 AM
PhillyPhinn

In my experience, the Finland-Sweden rivalry is it's biggest in hockey, and if Finland is eliminated, 99% of finns root for whoever is playing Sweden. This doesn't apply to other sports in the same way though, and I always root for Sweden in soccer in international tournaments, as Finland never manages to qualify(not that Sweden did this time around either...). I know a LOT of finns who root for Sweden during soccer World Cups and European Championships, but I've never heard anyone root for Sweden in hockey if Finland is eliminated.

I also generally root for swedish golfers, tennis players, and I know a lot of people who are the same.

I also don't see much of any rivalry with Russia, which would be much more logical considering our history. When Russia played Canada in the Olympics, every one of my roommates(myself included) were rooting for Russia.

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:37 AM
kajoo

Slovaks are creaming the pants of joy when they beat up Czechs while Czechs always took the win over Slovakia as a must-win.

From Czech POW, as soon as they are eliminated they wish good luck to Slovakia. It doesn´t work opposite way, when Slovakia is out everyone cheers against Czechs.

I know, we are jerks

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:52 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
From Czech POW, as soon as they are eliminated they wish good luck to Slovakia.
Yea, we wish good luck to Slovakia, but only because of that we just know we are better and any possible slovakian success can hurt this face of affairs

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:49 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Yea, we wish good luck to Slovakia, but only because of that we just know we are better and any possible slovakian success can hurt this face of affairs

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote