HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Francois Beauchemin?

Old
03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
NewFang

vCash: 500
Francois Beauchemin?

Can someone explain to me what's to like about this guy?

He's horrible defensively - takes wild pinches, gives the puck away, and has the worst +/- on the team at -16.

Besides his hard shot, I see very little offensive upside. His breakout is slow and he makes these long stretch passes that rarely work. He's getting some points because Wilson continues to play him on the PP for some reason. But I hate him there. He gets the puck on the line and doesn't know what to do with it.

He frustrates me more than any other leaf player right now. Am I not giving him a fair shake? Can someone convert me to the Beauchamin fan club?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:31 AM
MLHS Joe C

He's terrible, but it'll be another year or two before HFBoards posters turn on him.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Dutch Dreams

I've got a problem with the guy as well, but he has improved his consistency in the pinch-in, giveaway game - you must still be frustrated from the start of the season. He's got the worst plus/minus because he plays about half the game every night, and against the top players. Which fan club are you in?

Beauchemin is a guy who can log huge minutes, knows how to move the puck and has got a great shot. He is not the fastest but he's got an enormous frame which he uses to rub people out of the play - he can also be quite a crease-presence at times... this guy's problem is his consistency. He has games in which he is formidable, and ones in which he is completely ineffective, getting beaten one-on-one, fumbling crease-passes, and the occasional glaring pinch-in, but for the most part this guy plays his game of steady, big-minute, big-shot d-man... he is getting exposed but mostly because we lack other options, as Komisarek - who plays a similar role but is less offensively inclined is out injured therefore making Beauchemin solely accountable in the team's role...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:42 AM

I really thought we were going to be getting a solid defenceman when we signed Beauchemin. All I heard was how good he was when Anaheim won the cup and blah blah blah but he's been ****. He's had his moments where he's made a good play defensively or thrown a nice hit but overall I've not been very impressed.

It almost seems like he's another Jeff Finger - I mean, look at his track record. He play a couple seasons in Anaheim with one of them being very good and the other good but since then he's just been average. I wouldn't be upset if Burke traded him.

Phaneuf, Schenn and Gunnarsson look like the guys of the future with everyone else just filling in around them.

080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:49 AM
TorontoSF

He's pretty much a stop-gap. You need a veteran presence when your going through a rebuild and someone to play big minutes because you dont want to put ur young players into the fire until they are ready. He's solid though not spectacular in any way

TorontoSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:05 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
It's funny how when your in a buffet line, there is always a crowd complaining at the bacon, but when they run out or take away the bacon, it's always the same people who start to complain about the sausage.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
It's funny how when your in a buffet line, there is always a croud complaining at the bacon, but when they run out or take away the bacon, it's always the same people who start to complain about the sausage.
Indeed.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:25 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Indeed.

It actually kinda makes sense.

A team has player A and player B. The fans ***** and complain about how overpaid and terrible player A is and how player B is the much better option. The team then gets rid of player A and player B takes his role. The fans who previously *****ed and complained about how terrible Player A is, begin to complain about how ****** Player B is and how great Player A was when he was here. Try to follow all of that.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Man Bear Pig

Why are people acting like this guy was a top 2 d-man? Anyone who's seen the guy knows he's a fourth d-man, in other words, he needs a skilled d-man to play with. Beauchemin is what he is and always has been. Anyone who expected more simply didn't watch him enough in Anaheim. He makes mistakes like everyone else but when you make mistakes with the goaltending we've had this season it makes everyone look bad. How many plus d-men do we even have?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 05:07 AM
JacobimMugatu
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Why are people acting like this guy was a top 2 d-man? Anyone who's seen the guy knows he's a fourth d-man, in other words, he needs a skilled d-man to play with. Beauchemin is what he is and always has been. Anyone who expected more simply didn't watch him enough in Anaheim. He makes mistakes like everyone else but when you make mistakes with the goaltending we've had this season it makes everyone look bad. How many plus d-men do we even have?
2, Schenn (+3) and Gunnarsson (+12) 3, counting Ian White who was +1 when he left the team

JacobimMugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
He's an excellent 3rd/4th d-man imo.

He's not bad defensively, his hockey sense is decent, he's always asked to play against opponents top lines.

He's played well.

Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
He's an excellent 3rd/4th d-man imo.

He's not bad defensively, his hockey sense is decent, he's always asked to play against opponents top lines.

He's played well.
I agree. He went through a stretch where he did not play well at all, but has since picked up his play quite a bit IMO.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

I am still amazed that Gunnarson is plus freaking twelve.

But anyway, I like Beauchamin. Yes, he makes some defensive gaffs, but he also shuts down people's top lines. [I still remember how he requested that he was put on ovechkin's line, and who was pointless that night? Right. That would be ovechkin]. As much as we would like him to be perfect like all the other players he has faults. But I personally think when all is where it should be and he's playing 4th to 6th Defensive minutes is good. I think next year when he is more comfortable playing in Toronto, he will stop trying to wow us with great moves.

Daisy Joy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:41 AM
NiL8r87

Put Gunnarsson against teams' top lines and see how well he does.

IMO Beauch has been exactly as advertised: solid, unspectacular.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

always been a beauchemin fan, i know sometimes hes a bit scary,but he logs a ton of minutes, has decent offensive presence, and looks like a french-canadian lumberjack

i expected a little more physicality though

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
hotpaws

I expected more , i'm not complaining but i did think he would play better . I didn't expect much from Komi because he doesn't handle the puck well but I did expect more from Beau .

I don't know if it's just me but he looks slower than he did in ANA , maybe the knee injury cost him a step .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:40 AM
EazyB97

What's to like about him? He's a leader, plays the system well, is capable of playing in any situation, logs big minutes and sticks up for his teammates. He's limited in speed and that gets him into trouble. His +/- is weak from always being on our shutdown pairing, considering he logs huge minutes and we're the 2nd worst team in the league, it makes alot of sense. At $3.8 million, he plays well above his contract. The negativity on this board towards him is amazing, I don't know what everyone was expecting? He's been one of our better D-men this season, only guy(s) I'd have him behind are White/Phaneuf, possibly Gunnarson for reliability this season. He's a middle pairing d-man who is paid as such, but gets much more playing time due to his endurance. He reminds me of Aucoin in that regard. People's expectations with Beauchemin were insane, a flawless d-man who could play 30 minutes a night with a bullet shot.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Belmonte

I'm not too sure what everyone was expecting when he was signed, he is pretty much exactly what he was in Anaheim.

at $3.8 mil/season for a #4 d-man (now #3 because of Komisarek injury) you cant go wrong. And it's not like we have him long term anyways.

another two years and he's a UFA, which means Schenn will be taking his spot in the depth chart as the #3 d-man anyways

Belmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:21 AM
MrLegend28

With Leaf fans, you gotta assume theres some nostalgia to hating players on the team because we're not winning games. Remember everyone, and i mean EVERYONE hated McCabe, and now that he's gone people cry and moan over MVR because McCabe is in a new environment.

Beauchemin is doing fine. He makes mistakes, he's human. I love this D core Burke has built (including Komi) and when next year rolls around, it'll be scary fun.

MrLegend28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:26 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Can someone explain to me what's to like about this guy?

He's horrible defensively - takes wild pinches, gives the puck away, and has the worst +/- on the team at -16.

Besides his hard shot, I see very little offensive upside. His breakout is slow and he makes these long stretch passes that rarely work. He's getting some points because Wilson continues to play him on the PP for some reason. But I hate him there. He gets the puck on the line and doesn't know what to do with it.

He frustrates me more than any other leaf player right now. Am I not giving him a fair shake? Can someone convert me to the Beauchamin fan club?
You just summed the whole Leafs defense core this season. Beauchemin is far from a terrible defender in this league. He has deinantly struggled this season but I willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since the team stunk it up big time. Beauchemin was a very good dman in Anahiem playing behind Pronger and Nieds, the problem in Toronto is that he had a bigger role placed upon him. Beauchemin is a good second pairing guy that can log 20 mins a night, kills penalties and gets limited PP time. If the Leafs decide to keep Kaberle around for next season, I think you'll see Beauch get a lot more comfortable when he's playing behind Dion, Kabby and Komi.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
always been a beauchemin fan, i know sometimes hes a bit scary,but he logs a ton of minutes, has decent offensive presence, and looks like a french-canadian lumberjack

i expected a little more physicality though
This! What happened to him?

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:28 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
What's to like about him? He's a leader, plays the system well, is capable of playing in any situation, logs big minutes and sticks up for his teammates. He's limited in speed and that gets him into trouble. His +/- is weak from always being on our shutdown pairing, considering he logs huge minutes and we're the 2nd worst team in the league, it makes alot of sense. At $3.8 million, he plays well above his contract. The negativity on this board towards him is amazing, I don't know what everyone was expecting? He's been one of our better D-men this season, only guy(s) I'd have him behind are White/Phaneuf, possibly Gunnarson for reliability this season. He's a middle pairing d-man who is paid as such, but gets much more playing time due to his endurance. He reminds me of Aucoin in that regard. People's expectations with Beauchemin were insane, a flawless d-man who could play 30 minutes a night with a bullet shot.
Eazy hits the nail right on the head

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Rifleman

I don't mind Beauch, I think he just plays too many minutes. I think next season will even out with Komi back and Schenn/Gunnar more experienced.

Rifleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

He's a 2nd pairing d-man who logs too much time in Toronto, and does not understand the game enough for the amount of time he spends pinching.

If he could wrap his head around the fact he's a defensive d-man who doesn't hit he'd be much more effective.

He should not have the green light.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:37 PM
NewFang

Re: +/- , i don't care that his +/- is bad on this leaf team, but my observation was that it's the worst on the team. Ever worse than Kaberle's.

I guess the problem is that he does log too many minutes, i can buy that. And he has no business on the PP either.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote