HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Francois Beauchemin?

Old
03-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Re: +/- , i don't care that his +/- is bad on this leaf team, but my observation was that it's the worst on the team. Ever worse than Kaberle's.

I guess the problem is that he does log too many minutes, i can buy that. And he has no business on the PP either.
He's a good option for the 2nd pairing, not for the first though.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
NewFang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Belligerent View Post
He's a good option for the 2nd pairing, not for the first though.
I remember Wilson pimping him up when the leafs got him. Saying how he's so much more than a big shot on the PP and that Kaberle will find that he will be able to dish it around, etc. Ya sure.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Turk Broda

I don't see the value in him. All I see is a slow defenceman that doesn't put up big numbers. I always felt that Kubina was a bit slow, but at least he has a good shot, makes big hits, and seemed to be well-liked by his teammates. I'm not sure that Beauchemin does any of those well. I hear that he was incredible back with Anaheim the year they won the cup. If that's the case, his game has dropped off big time.

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Leafan519

cant say i'v been impressed with bushleagueman this season at all. he makes bad decisions, isnt an intimidating presence defensively and dosnt produce offensively dispite getting tons of time on the PP. Sure hes got a hard shot but it dosnt do much good when he shoots it right into defenders shinpads or misses the net completely. Id be thrilled to see this guy shipped out of town in the offseason, although is unlikely.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Move him for a young forward that needs a change of scenery.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

Would be nice to see him shed the visor and drop the mits every once and a while

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:38 AM
Pierre Gotye

Beauchemin all season long has tried to do too much.

He's had good games, he's had very bad games.

What he needs to do is play with someone who has great mobility, like Scott Niedermayer.

I think he can be a good defenseman. Just not this year. But it's not like the Leafs defenseman as a group have been all that good this year anyways.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Runningchief

I think the excess pinches are from Wilsons gameplan.
But Beauchemin isn't looking for the forward support man before pinching.

Having said that, he hasn't been bad, just average.

Runningchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Re: +/- , i don't care that his +/- is bad on this leaf team, but my observation was that it's the worst on the team. Ever worse than Kaberle's.

I guess the problem is that he does log too many minutes, i can buy that. And he has no business on the PP either.
It's very common for the biggest minute munchers to have the worst +/-. They'll be out against the best opponents and play heavy minutes. When it's a bad team, that results in a bad +/-. I think it was Ray Ferraro who commented on something similar, saying that the worst +/- players on bad teams are usually their best and most reliable players.

He's a second option on the PP and it's tough to argue other teams have better choices for their second PP unit. He's been a big minute guy for years, so I'm not sure you can say that's been the "problem" with him this season.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I remember Wilson pimping him up when the leafs got him. Saying how he's so much more than a big shot on the PP and that Kaberle will find that he will be able to dish it around, etc. Ya sure.
I think BB should get RW's input on every trade, and if RW is high on the player, BB should look elsewhere. Finger and Beauchemin both pimped by Wilson. Wonder if he had input into the Exelby and Van Ryn deals?

Beauchemin should be paired with a puck mover on the 2nd. pairing, and instructed to stay back.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what's to like about this guy?
He's horrible defensively - takes wild pinches, gives the puck away, and has the worst +/- on the team at -16.

Besides his hard shot, I see very little offensive upside. His breakout is slow and he makes these long stretch passes that rarely work. He's getting some points because Wilson continues to play him on the PP for some reason. But I hate him there. He gets the puck on the line and doesn't know what to do with it.

He frustrates me more than any other leaf player right now. Am I not giving him a fair shake? Can someone convert me to the Beauchamin fan club?
Nothing...over-rated, over-paid....lousy hockey player. He is one of the D in the "Leafs very strong defensive corps" Amongst Burkie's worst moves has to be the signing of this stiff and the stiff from Montreal (Komi)...Burke has a hardon for this truculence, beligerence garbage...if he focussed on getting skilled, talented players then the Leafs would be in better shape....The Leafs are loaded with "big, tough" slow footed...dinosaur type d-men. These two guys are definitely expendable. Put some youth in there place and use the leftover money to sign some damn forwards. GEEZ...

Im tired of hearing how the Leafs have such a great D....really? Is that why they have the worst PK and worst GAA in hockey? Doesn't D have anything to do with those stats? Or are we going to continue to blame Toskala for that.
IMO, fair D ratings for the Leafs are....

Phaneuf.....B+
Schenn.....C+
Gunarrson...B+
Komisarek....F
Beauchemin..F
Kaberle......C+
Finger........F
Exelby........F

The only good defender Burkie brought to this team was Phaneuf...the rest of them sucked....Gunarsson looks good but wasn't he a Fletcher find? Pardon me if he was a Burke acquistion... That is a horrible D corps...Going forward I see the Leafs keeping Phaneuf, Schenn and Gunnarsson.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Stephen

Francois Beauchemin is wicked. He's got the skating of a Cory Cross, Larry Murphy hybrid without the playmaking ability, he handles the puck like McCabe under pressure, and has a brain and frame that matches Aki Berg. What's not to love. AND he can log huge minutes so he's always out there to make things happen.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
It's very common for the biggest minute munchers to have the worst +/-. They'll be out against the best opponents and play heavy minutes. When it's a bad team, that results in a bad +/-. I think it was Ray Ferraro who commented on something similar, saying that the worst +/- players on bad teams are usually their best and most reliable players.
Or most relied on players. Sometimes you wonder if the Leafs are so bad because they've consistently relied on the wrong personnel all season. Looking at the way the kids have played recently, you wonder if the team would have been better if we had gone with them all season.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
My Sweet Shadow

I like Beauch at 3.5 way better than Komi at 4.5 or Finger at 3.5 or even Phaneuf at 6.5. This guy goes up against the best every night on the 2nd worst defensive team and usually does a pretty great job at it.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

Just wait until the playoffs and I guarantee all the Beauchemin haters will be eating their words.

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
selltrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
Just wait until the playoffs and I guarantee all the Beauchemin haters will be eating their words.
playoffs , will Beauch be starring for Canada at the Worlds.

selltrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Francois Beauchemin is wicked. He's got the skating of a Cory Cross, Larry Murphy hybrid without the playmaking ability, he handles the puck like McCabe under pressure, and has a brain and frame that matches Aki Berg. What's not to love. AND he can log huge minutes so he's always out there to make things happen.
Beauchemin skates nothing like either player. Clearly you haven't watched Cory Cross or Murphy to make a comparisson like that. Maybe those players were before your time.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltrade View Post
Beachemin was invited to the Olympic tryouts as well. The people who gave him that invite also won gold. I think Yzerman and co. have a good assement of talent, their results prove it.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltrade View Post
I don't think he was specifically talking about this year.

Old
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
dubey
Phagoof am i rite??/

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
Would be nice to see him shed the visor and drop the mits every once and a while
Yeah so we can give Kaberle + Exelby/Finger more icetime

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Beauchemin skates nothing like either player. Clearly you haven't watched Cory Cross or Murphy to make a comparisson like that. Maybe those players were before your time.
I remember both, as in no acceleration and a laboured stride.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what's to like about this guy?

He's horrible defensively - takes wild pinches, gives the puck away, and has the worst +/- on the team at -16.

Besides his hard shot, I see very little offensive upside. His breakout is slow and he makes these long stretch passes that rarely work. He's getting some points because Wilson continues to play him on the PP for some reason. But I hate him there. He gets the puck on the line and doesn't know what to do with it.

He frustrates me more than any other leaf player right now. Am I not giving him a fair shake? Can someone convert me to the Beauchamin fan club?
Actually our QB Puck moving greatest dman ever kaberle has a -17

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
He's an excellent 3rd/4th d-man imo.

He's not bad defensively, his hockey sense is decent, he's always asked to play against opponents top lines.

He's played well.
I agree with the first two assessments. I'm not sure I would say that he's played "well". "OK" seems reasonable enough for me, because I'm pretty sure that when Francois sits down in the summer time and reflects he will probably be the first to admit to himself that he is capable of much more than he has shown.

Next season hopefully we see a far more consistent, better Beauchemin than we are currently - I do think he's capable of much more than he's shown.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
NewFang

Anyone else notice that Beauch is now the top pairing Dman on the PP? Him and Phaneuf are Ron's go to guys while Kaberle rots on the bench.

This makes NO sense at all. Beauchamin has a good shot but is otherwise useless on the PP. Especially entering the offensive zone.

I think my problem with Beauch stems mostly from how overused he is. I think he was used less I could live with him.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Anyone else notice that Beauch is now the top pairing Dman on the PP? Him and Phaneuf are Ron's go to guys while Kaberle rots on the bench.

This makes NO sense at all. Beauchamin has a good shot but is otherwise useless on the PP. Especially entering the offensive zone.

I think my problem with Beauch stems mostly from how overused he is. I think he was used less I could live with him.
I missed last nights game, but it's usually Kabs - Phaneuf and Gunnar - Beauchemin. I can see him using Phaneuf-Beauchemin if the Kaberle - Gunnarson pairing was tired though, so those are the ES pairings they use.