HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lebrun Plekanec staying in MTL(No deal until off season)

Old
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Hamrlik and Spacek will no longer be with the team next year. Together they take up almost 10 million dollars of cap space.

We have Spacek's replacement sitting in Hamilton(Subban) who's contract is very cheap.

Hamrlik will be moved and will not be hard. He's a veteren D-man with one year left on his contract and can be an asset to any team. The only problem with Hamrlik is finding an adequate replacement.

a few guys who could replace Hamrlik, but they may not come cheap.

Volchenkov(maybe Markov can convince him to sign for peanuts)
Seidenberg
Paul Martin
Hamhuis
Zybnek Michalek
In order to successfully replace hamrlik and spacek you need to acquire paul martin/hamhuis. One of the two, with another shutdown D, like Michalek.

Leaving us with:

Markov-O'byrne
Hamhuis/Martin-Michalek
Gorges-Gill

I like it to be honest, much younger core. Just good luck making it happen.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Are you mixing up white and stewart?
Yep, I realized that White wasn't the one sent off. Just semantics though so I was hoping no one noticed . Doesn't change much to my argument. I actually meant White, and not Stewie.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
In order to successfully replace hamrlik and spacek you need to acquire paul martin/hamhuis. One of the two, with another shutdown D, like Michalek.

Leaving us with:

Markov-O'byrne
Hamhuis/Martin-Michalek
Gorges-Gill

I like it to be honest, much younger core. Just good luck making it happen.
I'd use Subban instead of getting two.

You'd only need Hamhuis or Martin, or even Gonchar.

We can still keep Hammer one more season. Next season will also offer several good choices on the market.

The main thing we need to do first is trade Spacek and use Subban instead, switching him and Gorges from 2nd and 3rd pairing on the right side when needed.

I don't think singing Martin would be impossible. It all depends if first the Devils don't try to retain him.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
DeVries*

Bye-bye Hamrlik and Spacek at the end of the season.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Stop overrating Darche, please. I would focus on the best all-around part but I'm just going to say that he's not even close to Begin's 200+ games as a hab and his valued contribution in the early stages of his career until he went on the decline. Darche isn't getting any younger. He's no where near Begin, heck, he might only play about 40 games total for us.
Well...I'm not overrating him, you're underrating him and overrating exactly what Begin did. If his personality wasn't what it was, you wouldn't be so high on him. I cannot remember, apart from playing with heart, what he did that Darche can't at least match. And the heart thing...kind of overhyped. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome, and I love Steve, but in terms of goals and actual play with the puck and positioning, he was nothing more than a pitbull set loose. As for Darche declining, that's a valid concern, but I'll start to think about it the first game he doesn't play an important part in us winning. It's never too late to hit your stride and he seems to be doing it. Agree to disagree, cuz there's no way to predict what Darche will do next year and the year after, although I think it would be pretty consistent with this year. If you're not happy with him this year (compared to Begin), well, then that's another story that warrants some discussion.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...-star-facelift

found it on main board

says that he's not going to sign till after the season and Lebrun speculates will need to create cap space to sign him
Me: Plekanec to stay in Montreal.

Plekanec will sign for something between 4-5, and I would give him a long term contract to lower the cap hit of his contract.

I expect this money to be as usefull the money we spend on Cammalleri is.

Salaries that we'll need to dump eventually: Hamrlik, Spacek, Gionta.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Well...I'm not overrating him, you're underrating him and overrating exactly what Begin did. If his personality wasn't what it was, you wouldn't be so high on him. I cannot remember, apart from playing with heart, what he did that Darche can't at least match. And the heart thing...kind of overhyped. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome, and I love Steve, but in terms of goals and actual play with the puck and positioning, he was nothing more than a pitbull set loose. As for Darche declining, that's a valid concern, but I'll start to think about it the first game he doesn't play an important part in us winning. It's never too late to hit your stride and he seems to be doing it. Agree to disagree, cuz there's no way to predict what Darche will do next year and the year after, although I think it would be pretty consistent with this year. If you're not happy with him this year (compared to Begin), well, then that's another story that warrants some discussion.
Darche is a role player, no different from Begin except for having a slightly different task. They are exactly the same valut of a player to a team just based on needs. Darche is 2 years older than Begin so for him to hit his stride, it's already too late as both are pretty old in general. Yes I can predict what Darche will be to the team next year, and it won't be anything significant. Just like Begin would if he were in his stead compared to Begin's prime as a hockey player.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Flambergius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
Cause MAB's 750K will cover Darche, Sergei and Pyatt's raises alone, even some of Pouliot's
Subban's salary is 875k, which is actually more than what letting MAB go saves us. Sergei is also probably looking for a over 1M contract. Darche and Pyatt might come with more reasonable price tags: Darche for getting a more than one-year and Pyatt for getting one-way contract.

For some realism, try nhlnumbers.com or capgeek.com and build a roster for the next year. I put in new contracts for Pleks@5M, Puoliot@1.8M and Halak@2.2M. Extended Pyatt, Moore and Price at the current cap hit and promoted Pacioretty, Maxwell, White and Subban. The roster also has Laraque, as I don't know if there's something to be done about him.

My 21 player (+BGL) roster is 3.5M over the current cap limit, and I don't think I was outlandishly generous with my new contracts. Sergei and Lapierre will get qualifying offers, as I think their rights have some value in a trade. Darche and Metro are gone, even though I think they are better than some of the players that will replace them.

See for yourself:
AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / * Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m)
Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / * Benoit Pouliot ($1.803m)
Georges Laraque ($1.500m) / Travis Moen ($1.500m) / * Dominic Moore ($1.100m)
Max Pacioretty ($0.910m) / * Tom Pyatt ($0.850m) / Ben Maxwell ($0.850m)
Ryan White ($0.850m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Roman Hamrlik ($5.500m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
Josh Gorges ($1.100m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($0.942m)
P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
GOALTENDERS
* Carey Price ($2.200m) / * Jaroslav Halak ($2.200m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $60.620m; CAP ROOM: $-3.490m BONUSES: $0.330m

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'd use Subban instead of getting two.

You'd only need Hamhuis or Martin, or even Gonchar.

We can still keep Hammer one more season. Next season will also offer several good choices on the market.

The main thing we need to do first is trade Spacek and use Subban instead, switching him and Gorges from 2nd and 3rd pairing on the right side when needed.

I don't think singing Martin would be impossible. It all depends if first the Devils don't try to retain him.
Yeah...you could, but realisticly, you can't drop both and expect subban to become what, #3 d-man in rookie year? I like a martin or hamhuis, it provides a younger hamrlik, a quality all round d-man(you choose whichever you get for cheaper). Michalek because we need a better shutdown d-man, although, I'd rather a more physical option. If you keep hamrlik, well, you still got a 5.5 cap hit, and not to mention, he's probably the easier one to move because of remaining term.

Very useful tool:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...ear=2010&pos=D

Mitchell, Foote, O'brien, Morris, etc are all, for now, listed as UFAs on july 1st.(Physical D-men)

Either way, I think i'm even going too far into a subject that won't happen. I think we're keeping spacek and hamrlik probably unless we NEED the cap space.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
I think we're keeping spacek and hamrlik probably unless we NEED the cap space.
We def need it. 1 of 2 will be gone 100% there's no way to keep them both considering contract lenght/hit and age. Also Space is on the wrong side since the start of the year. enter Subban.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LMAO @ alarmist drivel

OMG OMG OMG OMG 250k extra on the cap!!!! We're gonna be really tied down after that signing!!!
buddy ....you realize Cammy and Gionta have no trade deals for 3 years

you add Pleks at 5 you now have our top 4 forwards for nearly 24 mil

I ask anyone who has a 1/2 a brain on this post ....what is this team going to win with these 4 .....add a goalie at around 3 ....Markov at 6 ( assuming he stays )

and now we have the Tbay of 5 years ago .....

too many cap hits and NO FLEXIBILITY at least they won their cup .... but they had top end guys in Richards ...Vinny ....Boyle and Martin ...WTF have we won since 93 ... F all

look at Anaheim ...they win the cup but the window was over .....they deal Pronger
to move forward and got back a stud is Scisba .....Niedermayer will retire

and moved JS to clear up his 6 mil

I DONT HAVE GETZLAF OR PERRY ... 2 top 15-20 players in the game.

That`s my point ...we aren`t good enough and other than PK we have crap ready to take over a top 3 Dman or top 4 forward .

even the Oils with crappy salaries have2 studs in Eberle and Svenson ready to play
and may have Hall or Seguin come June .... WTF DO WE HAVE

maxwell, Carle and White .....cmon guys

what is Pleks and 60-70 points ( and his disapearing act in playoffs ) going to take us to ?

Gomez..Gionta...Cammy....Pleks...Kosty...Markov are tapped out

Maybe Pouliot gets 30 ....and unless PK turns into Bobby Orr or Halak or Price turns into Roy this is it folks ....... a middle of the pack team for the next 3 years AGAIN.

What team do you want Edmonton with their potential or us ?

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:37 PM
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
Pouliot: 1.5 Millions
Pleks: 5 Millions
Moore: 1.3 Million (if he refuse sign metro)
Darche: 600 000
Price: 2 Millions
Halak: 2.5 Millions
S.kost 1.2 Million
Lapierre: 750 000

Total raise: Around 4.1 Million

Money gained with UFa who wont come back:
Metropolit: 1 Million
Paul Mara: 1.675
MAB: 750 000
Laraque Buyout: 750 000

Total Gained: 4.125

Gain: 25 000$

Trade any of Hamrlik, Spacek, Moen, Gill and you have enough cap space.
are u sure you don't want MAB for another year. His slap shot on the right Point is lethal. MTL lost souray and streit thinking they have solution whithin and were mistaken. They got schneider for a 2nd, and then spacek for 3.8 million.

Why not give him a 3 year deal at 0.8 million or so. On the point he is gr8t. He can replace injured dmen from time to time. Play him on the 4th line and kill penalty as forward. In the meantime PK can play on the secnd unit with hammer or specek.

Afterall, no team wanted him at the beginning of the season.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
are u sure you don't want MAB for another year. His slap shot on the right Point is lethal. MTL lost souray and streit thinking they have solution whithin and were mistaken. They got schneider for a 2nd, and then spacek for 3.8 million.

Why not give him a 3 year deal at 0.8 million or so. On the point he is gr8t. He can replace injured dmen from time to time. Play him on the 4th line and kill penalty as forward. In the meantime PK can play on the secnd unit with hammer or specek.

That's why I want to keep him, and with Subban next year, Hamrlik won't be needed.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
The obvious solution to that is trading Hamrlik and bringing up Subban.
There's been one obvious issue since the start of the season : Spacek plays on his wrong side because we have better left-handed defensemen, namely Markov and Hamrlik.
Spacek's hit is 3.8 and he's got 2 years left and is not having a very good year.
Hamrlik's playing damn well but he's a 5M+ contract IIRC. A veteran defenseman that will attract plenty of offers. 1 year left, experienced vet defenseman that can stabilize your defense, chip in offensively and a burden only for one season. Should be easy to trade and get something worthwhile in return. Spacek... harder to get anything of value in return.

Now the beauty of it all is that Subban is a right-hander. So what should happen is Harmlik gets traded, Subban gets brought up as the new #4 defenseman, Spacek is moved to his natural side and is paired with Subban. We'll probably get another defenseman just to be safe but that plan is pretty good. Spacek getting back on his natural side and Subban getting on the roster should more than make up for Hamrlik leaving. And that's not even counting what's going to come back if Harmlik gets traded.

I expect some movement near draft-day.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:49 PM
FuriousBob

Gionta ($5,000,000) Gomez ($7,357,142) Pouliot ($1,803,000)
Cammalleri ($6,000,000) Plekanec ($5,000,000) A.Kost ($3,250,000)
S.Kost ($1,200,000) Moore ($1,100,000) Moen ($1,500,000)
Pyatt ($850,000) Lapierre ($687,000) Darche ($600,000)

Markov ($5,750,000) O'byrne ($941,666)
Hamrlik ($5,500,000) Spacek ($3,833,333)
Gill ($2,250,000) Gorges ($1,100,000)

Jaroslav Halak ($2,300,000)
Carey Price ($2,200,000)

BUYOUTS

George Laraque ($750,000)

ROSTER SIZE 21
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $58,972,141
BONUSES $0
CAP SPACE $-2,172,141

We can trade Hamrlik, Spacek or Gill to fit under the cap.
We can take the decision to not sign one of Price or Halak.

If the Salary cap goes up a bit we got even more options. If Gauthier can't do this, he sucks... we got alot of good young D who are ready to play a role in the NHL, use them.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
FuriousBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post

If we can trade Hamrlik I would sign MAB but if we can't there's no room for him even if he's not paid alot. And I wouldn't sign to a 3 year deal.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
Gionta ($5,000,000) Gomez ($7,357,142) Pouliot ($1,803,000)
Cammalleri ($6,000,000) Plekanec ($5,000,000) A.Kost ($3,250,000)
S.Kost ($1,200,000) Moore ($1,100,000) Moen ($1,500,000)
Pyatt ($850,000) Lapierre ($687,000) Darche ($600,000)

Markov ($5,750,000) O'byrne ($941,666)
Hamrlik ($5,500,000) Spacek ($3,833,333)
Gill ($2,250,000) Gorges ($1,100,000)

Jaroslav Halak ($2,300,000)
Carey Price ($2,200,000)

BUYOUTS

George Laraque ($750,000)

ROSTER SIZE 21
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $58,972,141
BONUSES $0
CAP SPACE $-2,172,141

We can trade Hamrlik, Spacek or Gill to fit under the cap.
We can take the decision to not sign one of Price or Halak.

If the Salary cap goes up a bit we got even more options. If Gauthier can't do this, he sucks... we got alot of good young D who are ready to play a role in the NHL, use them.
think its pretty clear the cap is going down, thats one of the things that hurts US so much

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

I hope dumping Hammer is as easy as you guys make it sound like.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
scottyG

1)Trade Hamrlik
2)Sign Price/Halak but not both.
3)Trade Price/Halak for a young cheap top 4 D-man.
4)Give pleks 19M/4Yrs (In 4 years Pleks,Gomez,Gio,Cammy all come off the books)

Next yrs defence

-Markov
-Gill
-Subban
-O'byrne
-Gorges
-Spacek
-The top 4 we got from Halak/Price

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:31 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
I hope dumping Hammer is as easy as you guys make it sound like.
I think he'd be worth like a 2nd pick to a team that got cap space.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Miller Time

it's going to be a tough situation to manage, that's pretty clear.

pleks is going to get 5M$+, no doubt about that.

halak, price and pouliot all need raises

the cap will either stay the same or go down

making it fit will be difficult, let alone people talking about adding any kind of half decent UFA.

Hamrlik may be moved, but that creates a hole that needs to be filled, i don't know that we'd be able to replace him, let alone upgrade on him, in the UFA market.
spacek isn't going anywhere unless we take a bad contract back or we sweeten the pot... which just reinforces what a bad signing it was.

hard to see how we will be able to ice a stronger lineup (on paper) going into next season. any improvements will have to be from young players taking a step up (which is certainly possible... s.kost, a.kost, maxpac, subban, white, o'byrne... all of these players could potentially be ready to break through to another level of performance), or by making a pretty major asset reshuffle via trade...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Me: Plekanec to stay in Montreal.

Plekanec will sign for something between 4-5, and I would give him a long term contract to lower the cap hit of his contract.

I expect this money to be as usefull the money we spend on Cammalleri is.

Salaries that we'll need to dump eventually: Hamrlik, Spacek, Gionta.
Lower than 5M$ (long terms) per season would be fine with me – 5M$ would be on the doorstep of "steep territory" but I could "live" with that!

- Quick note: Gionta is our next captain! -

Because we had numerous threads created on the "Plekanec’s future" theme lately, I will quote three posts that resume my view on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Plekanec is our MVP thus far in 2009-10; the guy does everything well.

That being mentioned...

Plekanec’s production

2006-07: 47 points (81 games played)
2007-08: 69 points (81GP)
2008-09: 39 points (80GP)
2009-10: 63 points (68GP)

So... what’s next? Who is the real Plekanec… is 2009-10 the "real deal" or a "contract year"?

I like Plekanec: he is a hard working, somewhat undersized and very good two ways forwards – an elite two ways forward on a good year - who still needs to prove himself come playoffs time. The guy is a pro and he would be VERY hard to replace.

I would gladly give him the equivalent of a 4M$ cap hit (the same structure than Marc Savard – long terms, heavily front loaded with 2-3 seasons at ~1M$ at the end), reluctantly give him 5M$ and at 5,5M$-6M$, I would start looking towards a guy like Marleau (UFA) or Nathan Horton (trade).

In Gauthier we trust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
You forgot a couple of things though. Plekanec's previous career season WASN'T on a contract year. The 47 point season was in his second season in the NHL. It wasn't a bad season at all:

Plekanec’s production

2006-07: 47 points (81GP) Second career NHL season, produced at almost a point/game pace in the second half of the season. Contract year.
2007-08: 69 points (81GP) First year of a 2 year deal.
2008-09: 39 points (80GP) Contract year. Signed one year deal after.
2009-10: 63 points (68GP) Contract year.

Every year Plekanec has improved save the 08/09 season. Rookie season he was a 3rd/4th liner and produced like one. Next season he proved himself to have the ability to put up points in the NHL and became a 2nd liner. Next season he proved that he wouldn't be out of place if he's given the number one center role and improved again being second on the team in scoring. Next season he, along with most of the Habs, had an awful season filled with disappointment. This season again proved himself that 07/08 production wasn't a fluke/production of Kovalev and now leads the team in scoring and among the top 20 in the league in points.

This reminds me of Cammalleri to be honest. In 05/06 he puts up 26 goals and 55 points in virtually his second career season. In 06/07 he put 30+ goals and 80+ points. In 07/08 he struggled for one reason or another with 19 goals and 47 points. Gets traded and again puts 30+ goals and 80+ points. Now some people had question marks on which Cammalleri will show up, but in reality Cam just had an off year in 07/08. For some reason, nothing went his way. This is the same imo for Plekanec. Last season, for some reason, nothing went his way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I just felt the need, after reading some posters in here who would gladly, with no hesitation, give him 5-6M$ long terms, to underline the facts that (1) he still has a lot to prove come playoffs time (just like Markov btw) and (2) for whatever reasons (you perfectly described it – a legit and level-headed description), he still needs to prove that he can produce at a regular pace season after season.

If Gauthier announces us that Plekanec at 4M$ per (front loaded with 2-3 years at ~ 1M$ at the end) is a done deal I would be a happy fan. At 5,5M$-6M$, if I was the GM, I would start looking for other options.

Side note:

I also have a bias in favour of size and though I fully understand that size is not a panacea, I think that carrying that many undersized players upfront is asking for troubles... especially come playoffs time. Imo signing Plekanec at 5-6M$ would greatly affect, negatively, our capacity to address our lack of size upfront - I wish for a better balanced forward squad. Particularly when 18M$+ is already invested, until July 2014, in the three following, very good (better and/or younger than Kovalev, Koivu, and Tanguay!) but also undersized players: Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri.

Again: at ~4,5M$, I would be a happy fan.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 03-14-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
it's going to be a tough situation to manage, that's pretty clear.

pleks is going to get 5M$+, no doubt about that.

halak, price and pouliot all need raises

the cap will either stay the same or go down

making it fit will be difficult, let alone people talking about adding any kind of half decent UFA.

Hamrlik may be moved, but that creates a hole that needs to be filled, i don't know that we'd be able to replace him, let alone upgrade on him, in the UFA market.
spacek isn't going anywhere unless we take a bad contract back or we sweeten the pot... which just reinforces what a bad signing it was.

hard to see how we will be able to ice a stronger lineup (on paper) going into next season. any improvements will have to be from young players taking a step up (which is certainly possible... s.kost, a.kost, maxpac, subban, white, o'byrne... all of these players could potentially be ready to break through to another level of performance), or by making a pretty major asset reshuffle via trade...
no it won't because Spacek can effectively be replaced Subban. Gettin rid of Spacek frees up almost 4 million dollars. Of that 4 million you can give raises to both Plekanec and a guy like Moore and it can cover Subban's salary as well while still having the salary cap space that would have been left over had you kept Spacek. Expect now, you have signed two key players while having almost the exact cap space that would remained had you kept Spacek.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrdrg View Post
The obvious solution to that is trading Hamrlik and bringing up Subban.
There's been one obvious issue since the start of the season : Spacek plays on his wrong side because we have better left-handed defensemen, namely Markov and Hamrlik.
Spacek's hit is 3.8 and he's got 2 years left and is not having a very good year.
Hamrlik's playing damn well but he's a 5M+ contract IIRC. A veteran defenseman that will attract plenty of offers. 1 year left, experienced vet defenseman that can stabilize your defense, chip in offensively and a burden only for one season. Should be easy to trade and get something worthwhile in return. Spacek... harder to get anything of value in return.

Now the beauty of it all is that Subban is a right-hander. So what should happen is Harmlik gets traded, Subban gets brought up as the new #4 defenseman, Spacek is moved to his natural side and is paired with Subban. We'll probably get another defenseman just to be safe but that plan is pretty good. Spacek getting back on his natural side and Subban getting on the roster should more than make up for Hamrlik leaving. And that's not even counting what's going to come back if Harmlik gets traded.

I expect some movement near draft-day.
Great post, 100% agree with you.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
you add Pleks at 5 you now have our top 4 forwards for nearly 24 mil

I ask anyone who has a 1/2 a brain on this post ....what is this team going to win with these 4 .....add a goalie at around 3 ....Markov at 6 ( assuming he stays )

and now we have the Tbay of 5 years ago .....
1. You can say this about just any team in the NHL. The top players get most of the salary, nothing to see here. These 4 forwards are actually pretty good, if we take on pace production this year on 82 games we have : one 40 goal scorer, two 30 goal scorers, two 25 goal scorers and two 50 assist men in our top6.

2. Tampa Bay had an internal salary cap 10 millions lower than the NHL salary cap. To say that their contracts handcuffed them because of the cap is a myth, they could have built a very competitive team for years if they had more revenues. Habs, unlike TBay, can spend to the cap.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote