HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you feel about bringing zherdev back next year?

Old
03-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Chalfdiggity3

vCash: 500
How would you feel about bringing zherdev back next year?

I know we let zherdev go at the end of the year and that he did come back to the rangers to accept the 3.1m dollar salary that sather offered but we already filled it up with higgins and kotaliks salary. I was thinking if we could get him away from atlant in the khl and sign him for 3.1m for a couple of seasons, it could be just the secondary scoring we need. What do you think?

hes still very young, great passer and goal scorer. him and gaborik on the same line would be great both can pass and shoot extremly well.

I think it would be perfect if we can dump redden in hartford, free up 6.5m...and trade rosie for picks at the draft, free up another 5m a year. give us an extra 11.5million for next year, resign prospal 1.5m, jokinen-4m , girardi-1.5m(trade), staal-3m, and zherdev-3m, bring up two of sangs/potter/hekkinen to take over for redden and rosie.. hopefully sign volchenkov

zherdev prospal gabby
Dubie Jokinen Cally
EC Ani Drury
Avery Boyle Prust

Staal Volchenkov
MDZ Potter
Sangs Gilroy

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Celestial Black

I don't see him coming back to our team but I did want him signed last year even if it was for one year because it decreased the gap in our scoring forwards from Gabby down. However, the past is the past and we need to sign other players with limited cap to do so. I doubt we do most of what you hope for when it comes to the potential lineups.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

NO! He's probably as soft as he can be playing in the KHL and would probably end up disappointing everyone. I don't think he'd ever fit into Torts' system. Just leave him where he is

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Garfinkel1

Yes. He's a valuable asset. A real second line player with the potential to be so much more. at 3m/yr sign me up!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Chalfdiggity3

i honestly think torts is one of the main problems as well. Torts cant stick with the same lines for them to build chemistry for more than 1 game. He doesnt make mid game changes to counter what other teams are doing, he honestly doesnt have a system, and brought in players who suck such as brashear.

Zherdev was great for us and isnt as soft as you say, hes a VERY skilled player and a top end 2nd liner/low end 1st... he would fill the gap as a secondary scorer for a year or two unless we can get a guy like frolov but i doubt it. even if he doesnt play hard nosed, we put gabby n zherdev on seperate lines and put cally or duby with gaborik..

Cally Prospal Gaborik
Duby Jokinen Zherdev
Drury Ani EC
Avery Boyle Prust

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
mullichicken25

for a cheap price i wouldn't even think twice about it

the rangers are missing him this year for sure

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
The first thing Sather needs to do is find cap relief, and I don't need to mention names just explore the option. He needs to re-up Staal and/or the same for Girardi or trade him. See what Kovalchuk's asking price is, the same goes for Volchenkov. Find the guys out there who won't command the big bucks but will have the best value.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Marcel Hossa is out performing Zehrdez in the KHL

JUST SAYIN

03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

I'm not overly impressed with his KHL statistics:

http://en.khl.ru/players/119/

13-26-39 +2 in 52 games. Guy has world-class talent, but doesn't play with the desire or passion of an Ovechkin. I understand that OV is a rare exception, but I'd love to see what kind of numbers Z would put up if he actually gave a damn.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post

13-26-39 +2 in 52 games. Guy has world-class talent, but doesn't play with the desire or passion of an Ovechkin. I understand that OV is a rare exception, but I'd love to see what kind of numbers Z would put up if he actually gave a damn.
Actually those stats look pretty good for the KHL. If Z would sign for like 2.5m I'd def want him back.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

He's still better than anyone else on our team except Gaborik. Oh, and Marcel is out performing Jagr, too. Does that mean he's better than Jagr?

But this won't happen, anyway.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Better than Callahan, Prospal and Jokinen? Really? Maybe I'm still left with the last 19 games of the 08-09 regular season and the 7 games against Washington in the playoffs where he was invisible, but I think you might be stretching a bit.

Look to the left... I love Jagr, but watching him in the last season in NY and in the Olympics this year, he just can't move like he used to. The skills are fading. He can't dominate a league that Marcel Hossa is. Doesn't mean that he's (Hossa) better, but he's younger playing a younger man's game. If Zherdev can't approach what Hossa is doing, then yeah I'll pass on giving him another shot in NY.

Old
03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Actually those stats look pretty good for the KHL. If Z would sign for like 2.5m I'd def want him back.
26th in scoring is pretty good??? Then I guess you'd like Patrick Thoresen.

http://en.khl.ru/statistics/167/?section=skaters

Last edited by MortUWary: 03-10-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
hell no.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Few things;

As we have found, KHL production does not adequately translate to NHL production in a linear pattern the way AHL production among youngsters tend to.

Lets be reality; Marcel Hossa is not an NHL scoring player.

Nik Zherdev is

That said, I hated the guy while he was here, and while I would bring him back for a reasonable price, he has no reason to leave a league where he can be payed more.

The Salary cap needs to be raised dramatically, or risk losing premier talent like Kovalchuk to the KHL.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Better than Callahan, Prospal and Jokinen? Really? Maybe I'm still left with the last 19 games of the 08-09 regular season and the 7 games against Washington in the playoffs where he was invisible, but I think you might be stretching a bit.

Look to the left... I love Jagr, but watching him in the last season in NY and in the Olympics this year, he just can't move like he used to. The skills are fading. He can't dominate a league that Marcel Hossa is. Doesn't mean that he's (Hossa) better, but he's younger playing a younger man's game. If Zherdev can't approach what Hossa is doing, then yeah I'll pass on giving him another shot in NY.
Offensively, yes he is better than all three of those players.

Also, I would have to guess that you probably haven't seen very much of the KHL. Hossa's team has a very different dynamic than Zherdev's. Riga is not a very deep offensive team. Atlant has more weapons, thus more guys who need to touch the puck.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

might as well... it's not like we're going to be good next year, either. I'm so burned out on this team right now.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:03 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Few things;

As we have found, KHL production does not adequately translate to NHL production in a linear pattern the way AHL production among youngsters tend to.

Lets be reality; Marcel Hossa is not an NHL scoring player.

Nik Zherdev is

That said, I hated the guy while he was here, and while I would bring him back for a reasonable price, he has no reason to leave a league where he can be payed more.

The Salary cap needs to be raised dramatically, or risk losing premier talent like Kovalchuk to the KHL.
Agreed that Zherdev is an NHL talent, considering that his season high in points (61) matches Marcel Hossa's career points total (61). However, the cap is fine. It's giving the league parity, which was the intention: leveling the playing field. If someone wants more money than 25% of the team's allotment, let them go. This league will always have superstars and will always be around. Other leagues, we're just not so sure of. Giving out a contract of that magnitute will screw a team more than it will help. Ticket sales and jersey sales increases don't last when a "star" player comes around. Winning does. A quality on-ice product does.

Old
03-10-2010, 01:03 PM
pld459666

Warts aside, Z is a talented player. A VERY talented player that I would love to be the fan of the team that he is on if he ever put it all together.

At a reasonable 3 year 9 million dollar deal I'd take him back easy.

If he tore it up for 3 years, he's be able ot then hit the open market and cash in.

He's not a player you build around, but he's a solid 2nd liner that provides great balance to a team like ours.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Offensively, yes he is better than all three of those players.

Also, I would have to guess that you probably haven't seen very much of the KHL. Hossa's team has a very different dynamic than Zherdev's. Riga is not a very deep offensive team. Atlant has more weapons, thus more guys who need to touch the puck.
Better based on talent, not NHL production, which is why I want NO part of him again.

You're right, I haven't seen a KHL game since their outdoor all-star game. Do you watch the NHL regularly? Did you watch Zherdev when he was in the league? Lots of talent, not enough production to match.

Old
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Warts aside, Z is a talented player. A VERY talented player that I would love to be the fan of the team that he is on if he ever put it all together.

At a reasonable 3 year 9 million dollar deal I'd take him back easy.

If he tore it up for 3 years, he's be able ot then hit the open market and cash in.

He's not a player you build around, but he's a solid 2nd liner that provides great balance to a team like ours.
Instead, the Rangers gave that kind of money to Kotalik. He should have been the 2nd line RW behind Gaborik...there's some of your secondary scoring.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
ThirdEye

Why would he come back to the Rangers? This isn't fantasy land

Also, he's not going to come back and admit defeat by signing some ludicrously cheap contract. He is going to want similar to what he wanted when he left

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Instead, the Rangers gave that kind of money to Kotalik. He should have been the 2nd line RW behind Gaborik...there's some of your secondary scoring.
Except Zherdev wanted 4, not 3, million.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

What does this team lack? Secondary scoring. What does Zherdev bring? Secondary scoring. Bottom line: would it hurt the team to bring him on? Probably not. If the price is right ($2.5-3 mil/year) I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Except Zherdev wanted 4, not 3, million.
So, you're saying they could have reached some kind of compromise? The problem is the Rangers didn't want to reach a compromise. They had cast the die before the arbitration hearing...dealing Korpikoski for Lisin, and then signing Kotalik. (I didn't like either move.)

jas is offline   Reply With Quote