HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL, Other) *Part 3*

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
an assist is not always an assist, its more of a "he was there" thing.

Stepan had an outstanding game today, and deserves the accolades, but ill say it again, next year will really tell us something, because Wisconsin will be losing some pretty amazing players. Geoffrion, McDonagh, and probably Smith will all be gone....that's like the Rangers losing Gaborik, Staal, and MDZ.

This will be a very interesting final game. BC plays the quick strike game with the best of them, but Wisconsin has probably one of the best defenses ever assembled by a college hockey team. A mobile D like what Wisconsin has is going to make it a lot tougher for the Eagles to play their game. I think it's going to be a run and gun goal fest, because I think both goalies kinda suck, despite their numbers, and I think these are probably the 2 best offensive teams in the country going head to head. Speed VS Puck possession, man, you couldn't script a better final.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
an assist is not always an assist, its more of a "he was there" thing.
An assist is credited to (up to) the last two players who touch the puck before the scorer. Who sets up the goal may be the last person to touch the puck, the next to last person or the guy who made the play and didn't get squat. There is no official category for primary assist, has never been and almost certainly will never be. I doin't know who comes up with this crap.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
An assist is credited to (up to) the last two players who touch the puck before the scorer. Who sets up the goal may be the last person to touch the puck, the next to last person or the guy who made the play and didn't get squat. There is no official category for primary assist, has never been and almost certainly will never be. I doin't know who comes up with this crap.
I know. Perfect example was two nights ago. Rosy delivers a beauty pass to Jokinen who misses on the backhand but Prospal knocks in the rebound. Stat sheet says Jokinen gets the first assist, Rosy who made the great play gets the next assist.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I know. Perfect example was two nights ago. Rosy delivers a beauty pass to Jokinen who misses on the backhand but Prospal knocks in the rebound. Stat sheet says Jokinen gets the first assist, Rosy who made the great play gets the next assist.
Actually I don't know if the scoresheet thing is new or even true. When I was an official scorer, there was never any indication about how assists were listed.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually I don't know if the scoresheet thing is new or even true. When I was an official scorer, there was never any indication about how assists were listed.
Statistically, yes, an assist, is an assist is an assist. But not all assists are created equal. Again, Stepan plays with some truly gifted teammates, a lot of his points are just because of who he is surrounded by. Next year, if he can maintain this kind of offensive performance, or even improve it, I will be really impressed.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Statistically, yes, an assist, is an assist is an assist. But not all assists are created equal. Again, Stepan plays with some truly gifted teammates, a lot of his points are just because of who he is surrounded by. Next year, if he can maintain this kind of offensive performance, or even improve it, I will be really impressed.
That's true and a fair point. Of course, how many do you think Gretzky got by being on the ice with Jarri Kurri and Paul Coffey?

Old
04-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

You should already be impressed. Stepan outscored every one of those gifted teammates but Davies who had one more point.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:23 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You should already be impressed. Stepan outscored every one of those gifted teammates but Davies who had one more point.
I know I was.

Stepan was all over the ice making plays and playing solid defensively. He definitely comes as advertised.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Man, both Wisconsin and BC rolled. I'm excited for the title game.

Old
04-09-2010, 03:06 AM
LyNX27

I think more impressive is the scoring chances he creates, regardless of the players around him.

Old
04-09-2010, 03:55 AM
bumrusherer

For me, even if you neglect the ponts. You still find yourself really impressed with how he plays and that is the most important thing for me because there are so many players out there who get points but are invisible on the ice for the most part.

Stepan rarely is invisible on the ice, so even though secondary assists are sometimes cheap. If you consistently do positive things when you are on the ice, you can pick up those assist regularly.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
For me, even if you neglect the ponts. You still find yourself really impressed with how he plays and that is the most important thing for me because there are so many players out there who get points but are invisible on the ice for the most part.

Stepan rarely is invisible on the ice, so even though secondary assists are sometimes cheap. If you consistently do positive things when you are on the ice, you can pick up those assist regularly.
I'd first like to say that none of what I have said, or will say about Stepan should take away from the fact that I am a HUGE fan of the kid, but I think people tend to overrate, or overlook mistakes/inadequacies/growing pains of our prospects, especially the shiny new ones, and especially ones that have major success early on.

First and foremost, Stepan plays the primary power play as an inbetween guy, though today for some reason he was running the point..though that may have only been on the 5 on 3's. The power play is frikkin lethal with Smith on the point and Geoffrion in the slot, so again, for the zillionth time, a lot of his points are simply him touching the puck before someone else makes a play to someone else who scores a goal. a "touch" secondary assist.

Stepan had a marvelous game today, he was all over the ice, active, engaged, caused so many good things to happen, you can't help but be thrilled. Stepan was absolutely dominating during the WJC, definitely team USA's best forward, causing so many good things to happen just on his off the charts hockey IQ. That has always been my fascination with Stepan since I have first seen him play. The kid is just unbelievably smart out there. Artem Anisimov might be the Rangers smartest young forward (though not as gifted offensively as Gabby and the like), But I think Stepan is even smarter than AA. The ability to read and anticipate plays is something I dont think you can teach, it's something that some players just have. Though an understanding of the game and where to be, etc can be taught, I think anticipation is something that Stepan does just jaw droppingly well. So many times out there I seem him stop taking 1 route to the puck, go another way, and lo and behold the puck is there and Stepan is there to break up the play or steal the puck. Or he sneaks in behind the player, does a quick stick lift, and yoinks the puck away. However, with all that said, to say Stepan is rarely invisible is just incorrect. I've seen...I dunno, maybe 10-15 games, at least 3-5 of them Stepan has been nowhere to be found, looking lazy, or just...not in it. He himself has admitted he needs to get physically involved in the play, with hits, to get into the game, that gives you an insight that he himself notices sometimes he just disappears. And I sure have noticed it myself.

When Stepan is on...like he was against RIT, he stands out as an elite player on his team at that level...which, considering he is a junior, playing on such a good team, is nothing short of remarkable. He also has many games where all he does is touch the puck once or twice on the PP, get 2 points, but do absolutely nothing else.

It's called being a kid, needing to learn, to grow, to get better.

Again, dont take these assessments as attacks on the kid, they arent, they are warts that every player has. Kreider half-***** it a lot out there in the defensive zone. He also isn't the best passer. Every player, especially at that age, playing against players who are generally more experienced than them, will have these warts.

Stepan has some serious upside to him, but again, next season, when he's more "on his own", and those games where he picks up 1 or 2 points simply by being on the ice with great players arent there as much, then we will see if Stepan steps his game up to the next level...where games like today arent stand outs, but the norm.

Old
04-09-2010, 05:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Frozen 4

Miami
BC

Cornell
Wisconsin

Wisconsin over BC

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2010/nc...ockey_men.html
Had 3 of the Frozen 4

Have the championship match up

No surprise in the results. Wisconsin has those defensemen,senior forwards and Stepan. This was their year and it looks like it will be their year.

Old
04-09-2010, 05:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wisconsin had a commitment from Sam Gagner but he decided to play in the OHL. Turris would have been a junior this season. He may not have stayed for 3 years but leaving Wisconsin after his freshman year was a disaster.

Old
04-09-2010, 06:57 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
inferno, Stepan is a sophomore

Old
04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Wisconsin had a commitment from Sam Gagner but he decided to play in the OHL. Turris would have been a junior this season. He may not have stayed for 3 years but leaving Wisconsin after his freshman year was a disaster.
Yea alot of us Coyote fans kind of wish he had stayed at college for at least one more year but thats the way it goes. He is developing in the AHL pretty well right now...Wisconsin would be unbelievable if they had guys like Turris, Geoffrion, and Stepan all on the same team.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Had 3 of the Frozen 4

Have the championship match up

No surprise in the results. Wisconsin has those defensemen,senior forwards and Stepan. This was their year and it looks like it will be their year.
You didnt predict RIT making it to the frozen four? Idiot lol

Old
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Marco Corleone

Chris Doyle, a former player with the P.E.I. Rocket, was found not guilty of assault Friday.

Testifying in his own defence, he owned up to punching a door, which then hit a women's face and broke her nose. But he said he didn't know the woman was there, and it was an accident.

Doyle now plays for the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, following a trade in December.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...#ixzz0kcEo5Vcv

Old
04-09-2010, 09:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provincial Judge
"If he was charged with being a colossal *******, I would find him guilty," said Douglas, chief judge of the provincial court.

"Of assault causing bodily harm, I find him not guilty."
LOL. Good for Doyle, I guess. I still don't have much interest in signing him, and I'd be surprised if the Rangers did either.

It's just pain.
Old
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Levitate

weird, wasn't there someone on here that posted with an "eye witness" account?

Or maybe they were recounting a version they heard from someone? I don't know

Old
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

SLU loses its incoming #1 rookie defenseman to ****ing Washington. I hate that franchise.

Hopefully Stepan and McDonagh win on Saturday, maybe getting their national championship would make them more willing to go pro next year. I get a feeling the wolf pack would get a big boost from those two.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

from what i've heard the rangers are desperately wanting to sign both stepan and mcdonagh. so much so they were hoping they're seasons would be done by now. Obviously wanting to get them in a few wolfpack games.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
from what i've heard the rangers are desperately wanting to sign both stepan and mcdonagh. so much so they were hoping they're seasons would be done by now. Obviously wanting to get them in a few wolfpack games.
I haven't heard anything to indicate they're looking to get Stepan signed. He's not ready yet. McDonagh, yes, there have been a number of reports that we want him signed.

Old
04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post
Chris Doyle, a former player with the P.E.I. Rocket, was found not guilty of assault Friday.

Testifying in his own defence, he owned up to punching a door, which then hit a women's face and broke her nose. But he said he didn't know the woman was there, and it was an accident.

Doyle now plays for the Victoriaville Tigres of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, following a trade in December.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...#ixzz0kcEo5Vcv
Thats really good news for the young kid. I wonder if that means the Rangers may look to sign him at the end of the season. he has good size and snarl and is very good on the PP. I say give him a chance to play in the pros, if it doesnt work out, then let him go.

Old
04-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Stepan stays at Wisconsin next year you'd have to think theres a chance he'll be in serious consideration for the Hobey baker, if everything goes well.

Del Zotto, Stepan, Grachev, Weise. All could be NHLers. Whoever handled the 08 draft deserves a raise.

Closed Thread