HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL, Other) *Part 3*

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
a lot of his points are just secondary assists from him touching the puck before a play is made, rather than being the one to make a play.
In his last 10 games, he has 6 primary assists and 5 secondary assists. All 6 primary assists have come in the last 6 games (and 1 secondary assist).

Still, neither stat is a really good indicator of his playmaking ability. Sometimes the best play is the secondary assist and sometimes the primary assist was nothing special. Sometimes the best play is made by someone who never even touched the puck. A good forecheck, screening the goalie, lifting a stick on a backcheck to create a turnover.

From what I've seen of him, his playmaking ability is very good. So I don't put any stock in whether his assists are primary or secondary.

Old
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Michigan is playing Miami at 8pm on Friday

Wisconsin@3pm-Fox Sports Central
BC@5pm
Michigan@8pm-Big Ten Network

Last edited by RangerBoy: 03-15-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Michigan is playing Miami at 8pm on Friday

Wisconsin@3pm-Fox Sports Central
BC@5pm
Michigan@8pm-Big Ten Network
I have been looking all around, any idea where these games are being played or who exactly will be playing in Albany this weekend?

Old
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I have been looking all around, any idea where these games are being played or who exactly will be playing in Albany this weekend?
http://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/?type=d1

Quote:
ECAC Tournament
Brown vs. Cornell 4:00 ET ECAC Semifinal (Albany, NY)
St. Lawrence vs. Union 7:00 ET ECAC Semifinal (Albany, NY)

Old
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think it's that he has anything more to prove. I think it's that he needs to develop physically before he'll be ready for professional hockey. He's still kind of thin and isn't as strong as he needs to be. If he feels more comfortable adding that element to his game by staying at Wisconsin another year, I think that's okay. I truly think he wants to stay in college just so he can soak up the experience for a little longer

I'd like to see him make the jump, but the best thing for him is to develop where he's comfortable.
That's true I guess, but he will have the whole summer to work on getting stronger, just like MDZ did before he made the huge leap. I just don't think his weight should be the thing holding him back from playing against better competition. And even then, how skinny is he really? I don't think he's as small as people here think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
kinda depends on what you think of as "blue chip". I don't think he's going to be a 90 point 1st line center, but I think he could be a 70 point first line center who can PK and all that good stuff
Yeah I definitely agree with this. I don't see him ever getting 90 points. I do think his shot is underrated though based on what I saw at the WJC's. He could easily have 20 goals I bet if he shot the puck more except looking for the perfect pass all the time. But then again, that's just not his thing. 20 goals and 40-50 assists is what I'm thinking after a few years playing in the NHL. Possibly more if Gaborik is still here when he makes the jump. Out of all of our prospects right now I think he's by far the safest bet to be an impact player in the NHL.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
That's true I guess, but he will have the whole summer to work on getting stronger, just like MDZ did before he made the huge leap. I just don't think his weight should be the thing holding him back from playing against better competition. And even then, how skinny is he really? I don't think he's as small as people here think.
I don't think he's more than 175lbs, and he's 6'1. I think he could stand to fill out a little more, that's all. If he feels like he's ready, then by all means, he should turn pro. However, I don't want the Rangers pressuring him into doing it if he's not ready. Not that they will, but I'm putting it out there.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Wisconsin is expected to be placed in Albany which hosting the East regional of the NCAA tournament next week(March 26-27)which is near you.

BC is expected to be placed in the Northeast Regional in Worcester

Old
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The NHL network has the ECAC games.

Old
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

College players can play in the AHL after the season ends right?

Old
03-15-2010, 04:15 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
College players can play in the AHL after the season ends right?
Only when they want to turn pro. They can't return to the NCAA once they played in a pro leage afaik.

Old
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The NHL network has the ECAC games.
Which really sucks, considering I dont have it and dont have the cash on hand to get tickets either. Guess its gonna be radio

Old
03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Emptyvoid

Come on guys, the expectations are starting to rise for stepan just like they did for grachev. Lets temper them and allow this guy to develop into w.e player he may be.

Old
03-15-2010, 06:05 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Come on guys, the expectations are starting to rise for stepan just like they did for grachev. Lets temper them and allow this guy to develop into w.e player he may be.
I don't necessarily think the expectations are rising. We're just disagreeing regarding the route he should take to the NHL.

Old
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Deservedly so. NHL scouts assess prospects for THN. We arent the ones making his stock rise. His play on the ice is. If they think he is the 16th best post-draft prospect in the world, then as fans we have every right to be excited about his future.

By the way, scoring 90 points isnt a prerequisite to be considered a "blue chipper". Blue chip prospects (in my opinion) are guys who can step in with little or no time going from amateur to the pros and make an immediate impact, or in layman's terms, are as close to NHL ready as anybody else.

Webster's definition:

"an athlete rated as excellent or as an excellent prospect"

Old
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Ryan Bourque came back last weekend from his neck injury. He was blanked Friday in a 5-2 win. Sunday he scored a goal and was a +3 in a 8-0 win. He was paired with Mikhail Stefanovich and Dmitry Kugryshev at the end of the first game. It will be Quebec's first line to start the playoffs on Thursday. He looked lost sometimes Friday but his Sunday game was way better.

The team was presenting their individual honnors to players Sunday before the game and Bourque won the Marius-Fortier trophy. It's like the King Clancy Memorial in the NHL. Awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.

I'll to be at the MSG tomorrow. I hope my Canadiens jersey will still look like new after the game.

Old
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Thanks for all the updates, Serge. It's much, much appreciated.

It's just pain.
Old
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Ryan Bourque came back last weekend from his neck injury. He was blanked Friday in a 5-2 win. Sunday he scored a goal and was a +3 in a 8-0 win. He was paired with Mikhail Stefanovich and Dmitry Kugryshev at the end of the first game. It will be Quebec's first line to start the playoffs on Thursday. He looked lost sometimes Friday but his Sunday game was way better.

The team was presenting their individual honnors to players Sunday before the game and Bourque won the Marius-Fortier trophy. It's like the King Clancy Memorial in the NHL. Awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community.

I'll to be at the MSG tomorrow. I hope my Canadiens jersey will still look like new after the game.
I for one think Ryan is gonna be a special player. He might not be a 50 goal scorer or get 100 points a season but I think his heart and determination are just what this team needs

Old
03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No denying Ryan Bourque's skill, smarts, and two way game...

But he's just too dang small.

If he's getting beat up by kids in the 'Q', how is he going to fare against stronger, bigger, more mature adults at the pro levels?

Old
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No denying Ryan Bourque's skill, smarts, and two way game...

But he's just too dang small.

If he's getting beat up by kids in the 'Q', how is he going to fare against stronger, bigger, more mature adults at the pro levels?
He looked big enough in the WJC playing a secondary role, sacrificing offense to help win gold. The league's different. I like what I saw from Bourque. He's really strong on the boards and at worst projects as a third liner. Hopefully, we'll get to see him in a more offensive role next year.

Old
03-16-2010, 07:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
He looked big enough in the WJC playing a secondary role, sacrificing offense to help win gold. The league's different. I like what I saw from Bourque. He's really strong on the boards and at worst projects as a third liner. Hopefully, we'll get to see him in a more offensive role next year.
I think at worst he projects as an AHL regular. He does work extremely hard and understand the game well, but it's not necessarily enough to compensate for his lack of size at the next level. I think he's just as likely to "bust" as to become an NHL player.

He's built just like his brother, Chris, who was more highly regarded than Ryan, even pre-lockout, before the game opened up to help smaller skill players. And Chris is a guy that has also battled injuries (concussions included) that looks like a career AHLer.

I'm not hating on Ryan Bourque, I'm really not. But guys that project to "at worst" an NHL third liner, carrying his pedigree, don't last 80 picks into the draft. If he works out, he'll be a nice player...but the odds are stacked greatly against him.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Ola

I really like Bourque.

But I am not going to deny that he have a big mountain ahead of him. He is small. He isn't going to become a got to player at least on a scoring line.

But I love his skillset, I love his attitude, he have a ton of things that a center should have. I like him a lot better then Dwight Helminen for example. And DH have actually gotten a few glimps in the NHL lately.

I could definitely see him becoming a Darren Helm type of player.

Old
03-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think at worst he projects as an AHL regular. He does work extremely hard and understand the game well, but it's not necessarily enough to compensate for his lack of size at the next level. I think he's just as likely to "bust" as to become an NHL player.

He's built just like his brother, Chris, who was more highly regarded than Ryan, even pre-lockout, before the game opened up to help smaller skill players. And Chris is a guy that has also battled injuries (concussions included) that looks like a career AHLer.

I'm not hating on Ryan Bourque, I'm really not. But guys that project to "at worst" an NHL third liner, carrying his pedigree, don't last 80 picks into the draft. If he works out, he'll be a nice player...but the odds are stacked greatly against him.
Chris Bourque wasn't nearly as hard a worker and "team guy" like Ryan.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Chris Bourque wasn't nearly as hard a worker and "team guy" like Ryan.
And that's all well and good, those are two attributes that will help Ryan develop as a player. But there are a lot of hard working, team-first guys playing in the AHL/ECHL. Those characteristics alone can't compensate for his lack of stature.

Old
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Update: Ässät lost an hour ago to Saipa 5-3 and are 99% surely out of the top-10 with two games left. Tomas Zaborsky (1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 12 sog, played 25:26 = second star of the game) was again the best players on ice (atleast by Ässät) and so on.

...oh yeah, he's leaving.

Old
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdoNamedJuzmo View Post
Update: Ässät lost an hour ago to Saipa 5-3 and are 99% surely out of the top-10 with two games left. Tomas Zaborsky (1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 12 sog, played 25:26 = second star of the game) was again the best players on ice (atleast by Ässät) and so on.

...oh yeah, he's leaving.
Leaving for where?

Closed Thread