HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Bolts

Old
03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
nTsplnk*

vCash: 500
Plus/Minus Pens v Bolts

+ Dupuis. He is playing his heart out every shift.

+ Guerin. I thought he had a good effort, although missing the net on the PP didn't help.

+ Fleury. Right from the beginning, he was making great stops-and not by flopping around. He was great positionally today, and I hope this is the Fleury we see for the rest of the playoffs

+ Powerplay-it came through when we needed it, and frankly looked good.

+ Defense. We cleared the crease, got to loose pucks, and shut down Stamkos. Leopold and Gonchar were really confident offensively and didn't turn it over much. We held them to just 22 shots on goal.

+ Craig Adams-this game really shows why, although he doesn't score, he is a huge part of this team-especially on the penalty kill. He was very physical and had a few great hits. And frankly, he gets some opportunities offensively this game. Just doesn't find the back of the net.

+/- Sid was absolutely flying after getting back on the ice after the dirty play by Downie. That said, he made some dumb decisions with the puck on the last power play we had. He redeems himself with a quick pass to Gonchar for the game winner.

+/- Fedetenko. I'm really starting to like his grit. He's physical and is really turning up his game. He didn't do anything extraordinary, and so this is where he belongs.

Your thoughts?

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Rave7215

First time poster, long time listener...

Just wanted to chip in my thoughts.

+ Poni: I know a lot of people haven't been high on him since the trade, but I think he's been a good addition. He hustles and creates opportunities. I thought the PP looked completely different with him in front of the net, (its a shame that it took Malkin being injured to cause this).

Rave7215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Florentino Ariza

Another solid showing from Gonchar

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Jag68Sid87

Fleury was awesome. Gonchar was awesome. The current third line stepped up when it mattered. Sid is superhuman for being able to walk right now. The rest of the afternoon was meh.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Where is ColePens +/-?

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I would label Guerin more on the even side.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:21 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Where is ColePens +/-?
I assume ColePens has a life. He can't make the +/- everytime so I just took over when it's not posted a half hour to an hour after the game. No one seems to take the initiative and make them unless it's him, so here we are.

Although I'd like to know when and when he can't do it. I think it'd be easier.

Old
03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

+ Crosby still has the use of both his legs and hearing in both ears.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
+ Crosby still has the use of both his legs and hearing in both ears.
- Downie is still alive.

Neeeeaaaal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
WhatsaMaatta

- Crosby for diving, crying, and lying on the ice after a clean hit from Downie. Gotta love HFBoards.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:19 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
- Crosby for diving, crying, and lying on the ice after a clean hit from Downie. Gotta love HFBoards.

Seriously. "Oh look at crosby crying after that hit it wasn't that bad"

as if they knew what the heck it felt like

Old
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Well, aside from the sheer hatred of all things Penguins and Crosby (the Olympics have only worsened the hate in most ways)...this confirms that thought that fans want the result punished more than the action.

Because Crosby was able to skate away from this a few minutes later he was faking and it wasn't that bad. Meanwhile some of the hits that get absolutely vilified aren't even that bad, just the results are awful. What Downie pulled today was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen, a clear attempt to take out Crosby's leg at its most vulnerable point...but because Crosby ended up being okay (thank ****ing god) the hit was alright?

I swear, the main board gets dumber and dumber each year, just like Homer Simpson. At this rate we'll be living Idiocracy by 2013.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by nTsplnk View Post
I assume ColePens has a life. He can't make the +/- everytime so I just took over when it's not posted a half hour to an hour after the game. No one seems to take the initiative and make them unless it's him, so here we are.

Although I'd like to know when and when he can't do it. I think it'd be easier.
You are doing a great job, ntsplnk. No worries!

I'll send you PMs in the future if I'm going to be out for the plus/minus.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

+MAF: Was his best game in months in my opinion. Very unlucky to not get the shutout.

+Sid: Downie's cheap shot really seemed to light a fire under him. He was dangerous every time he touched the puck in the offensive zone, and didn't show any signs of injury, which of course is a great thing. A bit unlucky to not score, but at least his point streak continues

+Gonchar: Haven't been too happy with his play lately, but today he looked world class. Absolutely beauty of a shot!

+Orpik: Free candy everywhere!

+Poni: I love how this guy is willing to shoot from anywhere and everywhere! We need more of our forwards to adopt this type of mentallity. Here's to hoping he sees more playing time the rest of the way (won't hold my breath though).

+Dupuis: I don't know what the hell this guy did during the Olympic break, but he's been pure money for us ever since!

-Letang: He was dangerous whenever pinching in, but still very clumsy with his shooting decisions and in the defensive zone.

-Feds: Fight or not, he was still pretty useless today.

-Geno: No clue what happened to him in the 3rd, but I'm actually hoping it was due to DB benching him rather than as a result of injury. Either way, he struggled a lot in the first 2 periods.

-----------------Downie: He's a piece of trash. Always has been, and he always will be. Just happy that Sid didn't pay for his stupidity.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Hobodrifter

+ Feds tried today. The fight was nice, not sure how it was just roughing but whatever.
+ Poni on the first PP. Looked good and he started the play for Gonch's goal.
+ two more points on the Devils

_ Downie. One of the few in the league who genuinely seem to try to injure opponents.
_ Guerin still on the first PP.
_ Bylsma's line shuffling.

Hobodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Well, aside from the sheer hatred of all things Penguins and Crosby (the Olympics have only worsened the hate in most ways)...this confirms that thought that fans want the result punished more than the action.

Because Crosby was able to skate away from this a few minutes later he was faking and it wasn't that bad. Meanwhile some of the hits that get absolutely vilified aren't even that bad, just the results are awful. What Downie pulled today was one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen, a clear attempt to take out Crosby's leg at its most vulnerable point...but because Crosby ended up being okay (thank ****ing god) the hit was alright?

I swear, the main board gets dumber and dumber each year, just like Homer Simpson. At this rate we'll be living Idiocracy by 2013.
Best post about 'Dirty' Hits I've seen in a LONG time. Even after Crosby got up, I was calling for blood (justified or not) just because of the sheer audacity it takes to try to pull something like that.

Neeeeaaaal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Hopefully a suspension gets tossed Downsie's way.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
You are doing a great job, ntsplnk. No worries!

I'll send you PMs in the future if I'm going to be out for the plus/minus.
Sounds great! I was about to send a PM asking what you thought. Just let me know then

Old
03-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
Hopefully a suspension gets tossed Downsie's way.

He was faking

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Two guys I have to give credit to are Adams and Sarge. I've been calling them out for awhile now and both came up very big today.

Adams really picked up his game but I still unfortunately think he's the odd man out come playoff time. At this pt, I wouldn't even mind seeing Dupuis up in the top 9 full-time while Guerin was sat in order to have Adams on the 4th line.

Also, Sarge's shot was sick. That was a sweet snipe. More importantly, I thought Gonchar played better in the defensive zone. He looked a bit more passionate to defend.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Bylsmagic

Loved the 1-3-1 look to the powerplay.

Having Poni work the net with Letang-Guerin-Crosby lined up across the middle of the offensive zone and Gonchar working the blueline worked really, really well. Replace Guerin with Malkin when he returns and I think we have a potent set-up.

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
JTG

Fleury played a huge game today. Maybe he was a little rusty from not seeing a lot of pucks over the break

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Yeah I totally agree with the outcome/act thing. Well put. Not sure what Downie was doing there. I know his reo precedes him and all, but I don't like to go inside the head of a player. That said, if the league reviews this play, they wouldn't like what they see, for sure.

I hope they don't review it. Sid's bad rep would get worse.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Downie is a piece of ****. Say what you want about Cooke, at least he doesn't intentionally roll/fall into the back of another player's knees from behind. Hockey's version of a chop-block. What a dewsh. I can't believe the loser is still in the NHL. Even Avery is preferable, or finger-eating Hartnell. Downie is just a waste product.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
PensFanSince1989

+ Fleury is starting to look like playoff stretch Fleury, he's been solid since being pulled, and today was the Pens best player
+ Crosby bouncing back
- Downie is still in the NHL.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote