HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller a good idea?

Old
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
bauerhockey02

vCash: 500
Roller a good idea?

So I missed the majority of the fall/winter hockey season with a grade 3 concussion (not hockey related) and will finally be able to start playing again in a little over a month. I was planning on playing in a ice hockey league this summer but the rink doesn't seem to be planning on having one this year. Should I play roller instead this summer or should I just go to open hockey sessions? A buddy of mine played roller in high school and is interested in possibly joining me if i decide to play this summer. Also just in case anyone was wondering my experience is limited to a few games of ice last spring as well as a couple weeks of practice on an instructional team this past fall.

I have also only played one game of pick-up roller before this past summer

Last edited by bauerhockey02: 03-12-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: addition to the post
bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Showteq
Colorado Avalanche.

I started on roller and i believe it really helped me with my hands and vision. Just don't adopt the lazy habits of roller hockey and enjoy!

Showteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 11:13 PM
HowToHockey

Roller hockey is a good idea, you can practice your stickhandling but there is a big difference in the moves you can do with roller hockey, and on ice (a lot less friction on ice)

If you have the foundation of skating and stickhandling down you could consider playing lacrosse, there are a number of skills that will transfer from Lacrosse to Hockey

Lateral movement and foot speed
Avoiding hits
Dekes and fakes
Positional play
Explosive power
Passing and setting up plays
Hand eye coordination

to name a few

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:14 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showteq View Post
Just don't adopt the lazy habits of roller hockey
I started out playing roller as well. I am curious to know what you mean by this.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:26 PM
RichNash61

I played roller for two years. I like ice hockey better. To me, it was just slower, slower passes, the ball bounces to much things like that.

RichNash61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
roast

I played inline in college...I would say there is a difference between those who grew up strictly playing roller and those who played strictly ice or a mix...the "pure" roller players love whacking everyone with the stick...and from what I've seen back-checking and / or team concepts aren't really popular...in my case, we played against a few guys who couldn't cut D1, but were excellent roller players (i.e. me me me). The abused a lot of us, but 90% of the time it was an individual effort and everyone else stood around. By the way - not knocking either of them - still play both - just my observations.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
I started out playing roller as well. I am curious to know what you mean by this.
From what I've seen in roller hockey there is a lot less forechecking, backchecking, less passing, & less defensive play for the most part.

In Ice hockey you really have to play both ways. You have to learn to be a team player. Forecheck, backcheck, play some defense even if you're a winger. There's just times when you have to go out there and forget about yourself and play for the team.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:48 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNash61 View Post
I played roller for two years. I like ice hockey better. To me, it was just slower, slower passes, the ball bounces to much things like that.
Did you play in a league? If so, I'm surprised they didn't use pucks. I think I like ice better as well, but I still love playing roller. It has been my observation that ice hockey has the potential to be much faster, but it depends on who you're playing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
In Ice hockey you really have to play both ways. You have to learn to be a team player. Forecheck, backcheck, play some defense even if you're a winger. There's just times when you have to go out there and forget about yourself and play for the team.
Yeah, I've noticed that in ice there are distinct zones whereas roller can sometimes be a free-for-all. I agree, I would say a RH team can win with one or two hotshots, but ice requires more of a team effort.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
BringTheReign

I play both, and they complement each other well for me. I am stay-at-home defenseman on ice but in roller I like to play a lot more offensively and it helps me work a lot on my stick-handling and passing when I go back to ice.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
OprtnShtdwn

I struggle when adjusting back to roller from ice. I catch myself at times wanting to stop like i'm on ice. Also, I get so use the puck staying on my stick, that when a ball is thrown in there, i'm out there fumbling it.

I try and throw passes and they just bounce right over the stick.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I'm surprised people are saying roller causes lazy habits. I played ice from 7-21, played from from 12-now. Four on four roller hockey makes you have to be WAY more responsible than ice. You have to know how to play every position, you have to know how to play in your zone and theirs. In ice you just have your role and that's that.

The puck not sliding quite as well(though current pucks/floors aren't far off) actually made my hands better on ice. It also makes you better if you play defense 'cause you can't just put your shoulder into a guy's chest when the play is one-on-one.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:09 PM
jbennardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showteq View Post
I started on roller and i believe it really helped me with my hands and vision. Just don't adopt the lazy habits of roller hockey and enjoy!
This.

I play roller hockey almost exclusively now because of how much it costs to be in an ice league. I'll get back there eventually. Anyway, there are some real hot dogs playing roller hockey - at least in my league. It's as if they know you won't touch them. I've always considered myself a hybrid player but I try to play the right way no matter the surface. Play my position and know my responsibility.

Someone mentioned the 'pure' roller hockey player - you can spot them a mile away on ice. They try some crazy stuff. Roller hockey doesn't necessarily make you develop bad habits, but it can if you let it. No offsides can make for ill-advised long passes. 4 on 4 does make you a little more responsible but as a defenseman, I'd rather learn my craft than worry about jumping into the play all the time.

However, I believe that ANY practice is good practice - whether it's roller hockey, or horsing around in tennis shoes in your driveway.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
cmdrdredd

I always thought that any skating is good skating.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:34 PM
JSTAFF

I'm a diehard indoor roller player and I've wanted to play ice for years. I don't know why I dont just do it. Granted I dont think I can even stand on ice skates?

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:03 AM
TinofGrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I'm surprised people are saying roller causes lazy habits. I played ice from 7-21, played from from 12-now. Four on four roller hockey makes you have to be WAY more responsible than ice. You have to know how to play every position, you have to know how to play in your zone and theirs. In ice you just have your role and that's that.

The puck not sliding quite as well(though current pucks/floors aren't far off) actually made my hands better on ice. It also makes you better if you play defense 'cause you can't just put your shoulder into a guy's chest when the play is one-on-one.
Agree 100%. Our years playing each are pretty spot on as well.

Ice has made me a better inline player, and inline has made me a better ice player. That being said, yes play roller hockey this summer.

Really no point in starting this debate tho imo, just best to leave this one at to each his own....

TinofGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I play in an inline league, and I've played there for a long time (since I was a kid). We never played 4 on 4, it was always 5 on 5 with (then) current NHL rules. (not so much now, its still 5 on 5, but its no touch icing, changes on icings etc)
I havent played on an ice league just yet, but I have played open hockey and whatnot and Id say that based on how I play in my inline league has definitely helped me play in open hockey.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

People who play roller hockey exclusively tend to be the ugliest skaters around.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
SabresFreak97

It really depends on the roller hockey team. My team we try to work on things you do in ice. Crisper but shorter passes, cycling(nobody shoot unless everyone touches the puck) and back-checking. It really translates to ice pretty good so anyone that tries to join we tell them whats up and when they come back from playing ice they say the same thing.

Of course you have the guys that try to cherry pick and try to bring the puck up by themselves. These players you can tell are ice-to roller transplants. They might have the skill to do it and the confidence but in no way does this help their teammates. It also is easier to defend.

To answer the OP's question. I would. Since you are coming back from a Grade 3 concussion you might be a little rusty in the stickhandling department. Not saying you'll be bad but any stickhandling is good stickhandling. Also there is ussually is no contact in roller so you can work on getting into shape(not all the way to be in ice shape) at the same time working on the little things. Just be careful for the guys that think it's funny to put their shoulder into you.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote