HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Scoreboard Watch

Old
04-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
There are four rounds in which SJ can make their annual playoff implosion. They've never made it to the finals, and I doubt this will be the year they do. That essentially leaves three rounds for which they have an equal opportunity to choke, giving us a 33.3% chance we get lucky and have it occur in a first-round matchup against them. After careful mathematic analysis, that gives us a one in three chance of advancing past them into the second round. We blew it the first two times, so based upon the laws of expected probability and outcomes, this year should be our year. The odds that we beat SJ in the first round are essentially 100%. I like those odds.
I'm bad at math so I will take your odds and run with 'em.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:20 PM
PredAlert

vCash: 500
Well, finishing 5th seems pretty unlikely after the loss in Phoenix. I, like many of you, was hoping for a series against the yotes in the 1st round but maybe it's for the best, maybe they can knock out Detroit. It's possible that Detroit or LA drop a game out of the remaining 2 though, so if we manage to win our remaining one against the blues we might finish 6th. Now, I'd prefer finishing 6th and match-up against Vancouver in the first round if the sharks finish 2nd in the west. If Chicago finishes 2nd then I'd prefer them (cause of their goaltending mainly, Niemi might crack).

No SJS please, we know how that one ends

PredAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:51 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
There are four rounds in which SJ can make their annual playoff implosion. They've never made it to the finals, and I doubt this will be the year they do. That essentially leaves three rounds for which they have an equal opportunity to choke, giving us a 33.3% chance we get lucky and have it occur in a first-round matchup against them. After careful mathematic analysis, that gives us a one in three chance of advancing past them into the second round. We blew it the first two times, so based upon the laws of expected probability and outcomes, this year should be our year. The odds that we beat SJ in the first round are essentially 100%. I like those odds.
False... If you have a 1 and 100 chance of winning the lottery, it doesn't mean you buy 100 lottery tickets and automatically win. Your chance of winning is still 1 and 100 no matter if you have played 100,000 times.

Equation: Flip a coin (1 in 2 chance of getting it right) one time and then flip it again to see if it lands on the other side every single time...

Answer: It doesn't. The odds are the same no matter how many times it has been attempted.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
JacklegJack

This isn't coin flipping, utmfisher19, this is hockey. Specifically San Jose Sharks hockey. The math doesn't lie.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Now hold on folks. Let's stop the for just a second.

Yes, it is very possible that we will end up facing our biggest nightmare vs.

However, let's not give up just yet. Sure it'll be tough, but if want to see the Predators make a deep playoff run anytime soon, we need to be able to beat teams like SJ. I bet the team has more hope than the fans do in this situation.

Yea, we've been there and done that. The Sharks have spanked us many times. It has to end sometime right?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Detroit wins in Shootout

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think Nashville has to win and DRW have to lose Sun. for the Preds to finish above them. Stupid jackets can't finish them off even with a great goaltending performance.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
I think Nashville has to win and DRW have to lose Sun. for the Preds to finish above them. Stupid jackets can't finish them off even with a great goaltending performance.
We never get help.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

To make matters worse, Chicago is already up on the Avalanche, and will reclaim first place.

The worst case scenario here is that Chicago beats Detroit in OT on Sunday. Chicago then locks up 1st place(I believe), San Jose takes second, and we have to hope for help from LA to finish no higher than sixth place, but with a fair chance of finishing 7th, and being rewarded with another first round exi--er--matchup with the Sharks.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:22 PM
JacklegJack

At this point it's looking like it will be equally difficult playing the Coyotes, Canucks, Sharks, or Blackhawks. Wherever we finish, we have our work cut out for us. The Sharks are... well, the Sharks, the Blackhawks, as weak as they may seem with injuries and shaky goaltending, are still one of the best teams in the league and riding a soon-to-be 6 game win streak, the Canucks have everything except defense, but they have some goalie named Luongo between the pipes to save their ass (apparently he's half decent or something), and the Coyotes definitely have our number this year. Half-hearted efforts aren't going to get us far in the playoffs, this team needs to play 60 minutes of hockey every night like their lives depend on it.

Although if you stop and think about it, Rinne just needs to get 4 shutouts and we're on to the second round. Not too tough.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
PredsV82
Grumpy Cat says No

vCash: 130
bottom line is.. if we lose tomorrow we are almost certainly 7th. however if we win tomorrow we can avoid san jose as long as the wings-hawks game doesnt go to OT.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:59 PM
predfan24

I'm starting to think it's inevitable we are going to play the sharks.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:06 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

I have been stewing over the possibility of playing the sharks... But in the end, how are any of these teams easy? Let the chips fall - sometimes it's not good to get what you ask for. If we draw the Coyotes and crap the bed - are we somehow going to think this may have been the year we finally took out san jose? I don't know....I'm going to bed.

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Lsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngloriusBuzzards View Post
I have been stewing over the possibility of playing the sharks... But in the end, how are any of these teams easy? Let the chips fall - sometimes it's not good to get what you ask for. If we draw the Coyotes and crap the bed - are we somehow going to think this may have been the year we finally took out san jose? I don't know....I'm going to bed.

This, 110%.

Lsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:23 AM
predfan24

Quote:
I think you right. There are no easy match ups but as a fan I want to see some variety and I'm more confident against Pho or Van. SJ when they are clicking is just about impossible to stop.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

If we win we play the Nucks right? Or is it the Yotes? And if we lose, we play the the Sharks?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:37 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
The standings this morning 4-10-10:

Rank. Team....GP W L OTL PTS
1. Chicago.....81 52 22 7 111
2. San Jose....81 50 20 11 111
3. Vancouver..81 48 28 5 101

4. Phoenix......81 50 25 6 106
5. Detroit.......81 43 24 14 100
6. Los Angeles.80 45 27 8 98
7. NASHVILLE..81 46 29 6 98
8. Colorado ....81 43 30 8 94

-----------------------------
9. Calgary......81 40 31 10 90
10.St.Louis.....81 40 32 9 89
11.Anaheim.....81 38 32 11 87
12.Dallas........81 36 31 14 86
13.Minnesota..81 38 36 7 83
14.Columbus...82 32 35 15 79
15.Edmonton..79 25 46 8 58

Western Conf. games on 4-10-10
Edmonton @ LA
ST. LOUIS @ NASHVILLE
Dallas @ Minnesota
Calgary @ Vancouver
Phoenix @ San Jose

Columbus is the first team in the NHL to finish the 2009-2010 season. ...thanks for coming, see you in September.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
WalkmanX

Chicago has won 6 straight now, and if San Jose wins tonight, i think the Hawks have a lot of incentive to beat the wings Sunday to finish 1st and play the Avs in the first round. So if we could somehow beat The Blues tonight, i feel there is a good chance we could jump Detroit, but only time will tell

WalkmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 06:33 AM
PredAlert

Omg, we got so much help from other teams yesterday, but if we win tonight there's still a strong possibility LA(probably not vs Oilers though) or DET slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
bottom line is.. if we lose tomorrow we are almost certainly 7th. however if we win tomorrow we can avoid san jose as long as the wings-hawks game doesnt go to OT.
+ San Jose has to get a point at least in their remaining game against Phx to overtake Chi if Det wins in regulation. Damn, a lot of ifs

PredAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 07:04 AM
ILikeItILoveIt

In a sick way, we need SJ to win tonite to make the Hawks-Wings game meaningful to the Hawks. SJ loses tonite, Hawks are #1 even if they lose to Wings, so they'll sit players. If Wings lose in reg and we win tonite, we tie them but beat them on tiebreakers, assuring us we don't play SJ or the Hawks in the 1st Round.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:38 AM
hatedandproud

Quote:
This again....

except for the going to bed part....

Got to beat em sometime, why not this year?

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:10 AM
MemphisMTLfan

I just want another 100 point season. So let's win!

Old
04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

And don't forget .... Go Oilers.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Quote:
I see your point but respectfully disagree. None of the teams are easy but some do present better matchups than others. We hear this all the time in the NCAA tournament and it's no different in the NHL. We plain, flat out, don't match up against San Jose and we never have. They have big strong forwards who can make plays that we have a hard time with, after all we are 1-3 against them. Of course for what it's worth, we're 2-4 against Chicago, 1-3 against Phoenix, and 2-2 against Vancouver. I've been waiting for 12 years to win a playoff series and I don't want to see another five game reminder of how the Sharks are simply a better team than us every year. I'd also like to win a road game in the playoffs finally. That would be pretty awesome. I'm just not very confident in breaking the hold San Jose has on us this time around either. I think our best matchups are Vancouver and Chicago. The Canucks are a good well-balanced team but I think we can get to Luongo and put goals on the board. Chicago has a high-powered offense but their goaltending is shaky at best. That's what we need is to play a team whose weakness is on the defensive end. If our defense and goaltending is on, we can hold anyone off the board, but we have to be able to get goals on the board and San Jose doesn't usually present us with that opportunity. Also their arena is a mad house and I'm not confident that we can go in there and handle the pressure.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Well right now we don't have much of a choice. Unless things go our way tonight and tomorrow, we will be facing the Sharks. Our chances are slim but sometimes you gotta find a way to win. Don't write this team off just yet. Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the minimum extra 4 games we get to see our guys play.