HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Expansion to 32 teams - which cities?

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Schlep Rock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
It's likely that very few non-canadian players would want to play in Quebec or Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a small town and probably one of the coldest places on earth during the winter. Quebec is a beutifull city, but probably isn't the too great if you don't speak french. No more expansion, but if they move a team Portland or Seattle would be great. Great climate, beutifull nature and couple of Microsoft billionares to serve as owners.
Not every player is Eric Lindros and can demand where he wants to play.

Old
05-03-2004, 05:52 PM
not quite yoda

The last thing the NHL needs are more weak franchises. You are proposing to give one to either

a) a non-hockey market
(we don't need another Florida)

or

b) a city that doesn't have the corporate base to support an NHL team
(we don't need another Pittsburgh)

That and the talent is already enough diluted with 30 teams. What's the point of spreading the stars between 2 additional teams? So that each of the original 30 teams can benefit by a big 5 million$ from expansion fees? Not worth it. The NHL could get much richer by landing a major t.v. contract. Maybe if the quality of play was superior throughout the league (=retraction) could the league attract more fans.

Old
05-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Epoch

No more expansion. The NHL should get rid of teams (Florida,Carolina,Pittsburgh) than create more.

But, if I had to pick two cities, I'd choose Winnipeg and Quebec City.

Old
05-03-2004, 07:14 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
The last thing the NHL needs are more weak franchises. You are proposing to give one to either

a) a non-hockey market
(we don't need another Florida)

or

b) a city that doesn't have the corporate base to support an NHL team
(we don't need another Pittsburgh)

That and the talent is already enough diluted with 30 teams. What's the point of spreading the stars between 2 additional teams? So that each of the original 30 teams can benefit by a big 5 million$ from expansion fees? Not worth it. The NHL could get much richer by landing a major t.v. contract. Maybe if the quality of play was superior throughout the league (=retraction) could the league attract more fans.
Actually, if they stopped all the holding and interference, you'd have a much better game, and probably attract much bigger audience. The talent is there. It just needs to be allowed to play.

Old
05-03-2004, 08:11 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhn579
Actually, if they stopped all the holding and interference, you'd have a much better game, and probably attract much bigger audience. The talent is there. It just needs to be allowed to play.
Tell that to the refs. Oh wait, the NHL does tell the refs to call obstruction and hooking. Every fall. And every time they are "serious". And every time we get back to where we started. The crap is there to stay. Get use to it!

Old
05-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
(Also notice how with these relocation posts,they would never suggest moving their own team..)
See me, living in the GTA, the closest team is Toronto, then after that we're talking Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo, all from three to seven hours away, and all in very different markets. This isn't like Rangers/Islanders/Devils, Kings/Ducks, or other geographic clusters seen around the league. I live in one of the most hockey-centric areas in the planet, and there's really only one NHL team to choose from. So of course no one would move the team. (Besides, we've got more cups than anyone but Montreal, the Hockey Hall of Fame, the highest attendance percentage in the league...)

To answer the question, to name names - Winnipeg, Québec, Hamilton, Halifax, and Seattle as the token yankee pick.

Now why did this guy start two threads about the same thing?

Old
05-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mercury
To answer the question, to name names - Winnipeg, Québec, Hamilton, Halifax, and Seattle as the token yankee pick.
Small problem, Seattle doesn't have an arena that can support an NHL team. If the NHl was looking into expanding into the American Northwest, Portland would get a team over Seattle.

Old
05-05-2004, 03:57 AM
OpinionatedMike

I've thought about it, and I REALLY think it's just a matter of time before we have some relocation, maybe Hartford, Houston, Portland get a team (I seriously doubt the NHL moves North again, although Winnipeg is the only one I think it'll go to IF it does)

I really see the NHL expanding overseas, something like 30 NA teams, 30 EURO teams, and they meet in the Stanley Cup, or they meet every other year, something like that.

I just think it'll happen. I don't know why, but I really do. I don't know how trades and contracts would work....but I see it happening....

just my opinion.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:00 PM
katodelder

Maybe I'm just being naive, but after the 2002 Olympics I began to wonder why Salt Lake City is never mentioned in any expansion or relocation debates.

I understand the circumstances: 1. Utah is basketball country, hence there probably isn't a large hockey culture present. 2. The arena used for the Olympics wouldn't be able to support an NHL franchise, necessitating the building of a new arena which raising public funds to do is next to impossible in the current economic climate. 3. Lack of an interested deep-pocketed owner or fan-base (I think).

But besides all that I've always thought that the NHL would work in Salt Lake much in the same way it has worked in Denver (or has the NHL succeeded in its return to Colorado only because the team has been a perrenial contender since the moment it arrived?). After all, Salt Lake is a large north-western mountain metroplois with cold winters, a winter sports culture, and is geographically situated in a part of the continent the NHL has been looking to move into (hello Portland?).

I've just always found this curious and request that anyone out there who really knows their Utah hockey to please enlighten us with an educated post.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Pavel

Please no more expansion…but if you must I’d love to see Houston get a team. However before Houston ever gets a team I think some wrongs need to be made right and get teams back in Winnipeg and Quebec.

Old
05-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
It's likely that very few non-canadian players would want to play in Quebec or Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a small town and probably one of the coldest places on earth during the winter. Quebec is a beutifull city, but probably isn't the too great if you don't speak french. No more expansion, but if they move a team Portland or Seattle would be great. Great climate, beutifull nature and couple of Microsoft billionares to serve as owners.

Being from Helsinki maybe you'll find this interesting.

Teemu Selanne has made it known several times since he left that Winnipeg was his favourite place to play. He loved the city, the fans and the people in general. Same for for Thomas Steen. Same for Eddie Olczyk. Anyone who played for the Jets knows how unfortunate it is for the NHL not to have a team here anymore. Your assumption that Winnipeg is a small, frigid hamlet that is brutal to live in or visit is unfounded. Has the NHL outgrown Winnipeg? Sure looks that way. But the players who played here loved it.

Closed Thread