HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyer fans crying about Dubinsky-Richards beat down

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
  #76
Richard Brads
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
That's just wrong. It's one thing to throw a few extra when you are tied up with the other guy & the ref/linemen jump into seperate you, it's another when this situation occurs.
in the article (or was it a blog, bad writing regardless) he mentioned how no flyer in recent years has thrown a sucker punch after a play. he may have even gone so far as saying in the last 20 or so years, i forget and frankly don't feel like having to read through that drivel again.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
  #77
Ranger Angst
Registered User
 
Ranger Angst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Debatable, but he wasn't on his back or covering up while turtling, he was on his knees and still engaged.
Same way I saw it. Now if only someone would have done the same to Carcillo.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
  #78
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I think the point is the Flyer fans most likely loved what Downie did to blake & are now complaining about somthing that wasn't bearly as bad that happened to Richards. It's a classic case of the calling the kettle black.

There are now winners here, only whiners.
Bingo

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:44 PM
  #79
DM23BK30
Registered User
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,440
vCash: 500
Jesus Christ. Richards did not "turtle", nor did Dubi "kick the crap out of him". Dubi won the decision when he was able to get Richards tangled up in his sweater. Richards landed two solid punches to Dubi's head, and Dubi responded with about 5 or 6.

Anybody who thinks Mike Richards would "turtle" needs to get their eyes checked. I hate the Flyers as much as anybody, but it amazes me how this current generation of hockey fans have no idea what constitutes "kicking the crap" out of somebody when it comes to hockey fights. Nowadays, 90 percent of them end up with one or two punches barely landing and it always ends in one of the guys tackling the guy to the ice. That NEVER used to happen on purpose, especially just 30 seconds into a fight

Joe Kocur, Bob Probert, Al Secord, Stu Grimson, Basil McRae, Knuckles Nilan...those guys "kicked the crap" out of people.

While it was nice to see Dubi win the fight and send a message that he can certainly hold his own, I'm not going to be some blind homer and consider a very quick and pedestrian fight something that it isnt.

Rant over.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
  #80
DM23BK30
Registered User
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,440
vCash: 500
One more thing,


Players generally dont take their helmets off because of what happened to the guy who was killed last year. They were talking on Rogers today about how the NHL is looking into making it mandatory to keep your helmet on during a fight (unless it's forced off, which at that point the refs would be obligated to immediately stop the fight)

If you watched the Columbus-EDM game tonight, the Boll (I think) smacked his head on the ice after a takedown.

I think a player is an idiot for purposely taking his helmet off before a fight, and the rule should be that if you wear a visor, you shouldnt be allowed to fight...period, or you get a 2 and a 10 for being a wuss.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
  #81
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
I don't give a **** if someone died. Don't fight if you have a visor on, then. Simple as that.

If you have a visor on, you remove your helmet. End of story.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:30 PM
  #82
DM23BK30
Registered User
 
DM23BK30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 17,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't give a **** if someone died. Don't fight if you have a visor on, then. Simple as that.

If you have a visor on, you remove your helmet. End of story.

I seriously cant think of one guy in the 80s or 90s who fought consistently with a visor on. If you go to hockeyfights.com, Richards has 22 friggin fights in his career and he wears a visor.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:16 PM
  #83
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Jesus Christ. Richards did not "turtle", nor did Dubi "kick the crap out of him". Dubi won the decision when he was able to get Richards tangled up in his sweater. Richards landed two solid punches to Dubi's head, and Dubi responded with about 5 or 6.

Anybody who thinks Mike Richards would "turtle" needs to get their eyes checked. I hate the Flyers as much as anybody, but it amazes me how this current generation of hockey fans have no idea what constitutes "kicking the crap" out of somebody when it comes to hockey fights. Nowadays, 90 percent of them end up with one or two punches barely landing and it always ends in one of the guys tackling the guy to the ice. That NEVER used to happen on purpose, especially just 30 seconds into a fight

Joe Kocur, Bob Probert, Al Secord, Stu Grimson, Basil McRae, Knuckles Nilan...those guys "kicked the crap" out of people.

While it was nice to see Dubi win the fight and send a message that he can certainly hold his own, I'm not going to be some blind homer and consider a very quick and pedestrian fight something that it isnt.

Rant over.
Fantastic post man really dead on

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:34 PM
  #84
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
LOL @ some flyers fans. Richards not taking off his helmet was the ******* move. Its not like Dubinsky jumped him and he didn't have time to take off his helmet. Richards was the one who asked Dubinsky to fight. Fighting a player who doesn't wear a visor when you do is lame. Dont drop the gloves if your not willing to take off your helmet. Richards is a tough player very surprised he did that. Good for Dubi getting the win.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
  #85
Richard Brads
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I seriously cant think of one guy in the 80s or 90s who fought consistently with a visor on. If you go to hockeyfights.com, Richards has 22 friggin fights in his career and he wears a visor.
what's your point?

he needs to take the visor off or take his helmet off. or be considered a ******.

hey, if he's afraid of getting killed like the guy you mentioned who died after hitting his head, then keep the visor on and be called a ******, and simply deal w/ it. maybe that's what he's doing, who knows.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
  #86
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
I totally understand "The Code"

But...you have to realize we are now entering an age of the NHL where most of the players who played in the CHL wear visors because that is what they have been required to wear. As much as I hate Richards...I can't really get on him for wearing a visor. It's Dubi choice not to wear one just as its Richards choice to wear one.

I really don't understand the macho thinking of "he wears a visor so he must be a *****".

If I'm fighting a guy the last thing I am thinking of it...oh **** I have a visor on! Especially when my job isn't to fight.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
  #87
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox
 
Chicken Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. James's Gate
Country: Jersey
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I totally understand "The Code"

But...you have to realize we are now entering an age of the NHL where most of the players who played in the CHL wear visors because that is what they have been required to wear. As much as I hate Richards...I can't really get on him for wearing a visor. It's Dubi choice not to wear one just as its Richards choice to wear one.

I really don't understand the macho thinking of "he wears a visor so he must be a *****".

If I'm fighting a guy the last thing I am thinking of it...oh **** I have a visor on! Especially when my job isn't to fight.
Not coming to troll as i'm a flyers fan, this thread was just on the main page as latest updated for our division. And i'm kinda curious about this too, only because in the heat of the game I have to agree i think the last thing on my mind is "oops i have a visor on the people on HFBoards are gonna get on my case for throwing punches..." Players wear visors mostly because they value their health and vision more so than the next, but to each their own. And richards will remove his helmet when he faces someone who he played with and or against in juniors, i'm not quite up to speed on he and dubinky's history prior to the NHL however...
just my 2cents, can't wait till the season ending home and home though!

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 11:08 PM
  #88
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
Not coming to troll as i'm a flyers fan, this thread was just on the main page as latest updated for our division. And i'm kinda curious about this too, only because in the heat of the game I have to agree i think the last thing on my mind is "oops i have a visor on the people on HFBoards are gonna get on my case for throwing punches..." Players wear visors mostly because they value their health and vision more so than the next, but to each their own. And richards will remove his helmet when he faces someone who he played with and or against in juniors, i'm not quite up to speed on he and dubinky's history prior to the NHL however...
just my 2cents, can't wait till the season ending home and home though!
Him and Dubi have had their run in's. Three fights now. I look at it this way. They were both know as complete *******s in junior hockey. Total pests. And they both played in different leagues. Dubi in the Dubs and Richards in the O. I'm sure chivalry goes right out the window when they fight.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:29 AM
  #89
Blazephr
Registered User
 
Blazephr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vermont - NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
generally you stop throwing punches when the refs come in and grab both players. Dubi got in a couple extra jabs, perhaps as a result of their history against each other, but all in all it was a fair fight between two willing combatants. Richards is a tough kid who got the win in their fight a year ago after a play in which it looked like Richards was going after Drury's head.
Lest We Forget the fight from last season when Richards thought he had easy pickings squaring off with Dubi...but ended up getting tagged pretty good. The Drury incident is from 2 seasons ago 2/2008.

Brandon Dubinsky vs Mike Richards
Oct 11, 2008 1pd 16:23

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/47527

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:31 AM
  #90
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Exactly. No need to be a pansy and keep your visor on which already puts your opponent in a worse position than you.
yep. all i saw was that visor. couldn't believe that a guy would fight with a visor on.
agreed a guy shouldn't be beaten when he's down but it wasn't that cut and dried. maybe a couple extra punches but i also don't remember richards showing restraint plowing lundqvist in the first meeting. i'm sure dubi was pretty effing angry and there wasn't a ton of time to get a grip. that's what happens when you play dirty. people get angry.

if you can't take the beating, don't start the fight.

(and i hate 'tactical' fighting in hockey - but this was real tempers flaring)

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:40 AM
  #91
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Tell "tough guy" Mike Richards to stop hiding behind the wuss visor while he throws his cheap shots and gets into fights without shedding the head wear. Takes a real tough guy to throw cheap shots and get into fights while wearing a face guard. I have no respect for that guy. Never have, never will. That is all.

It was good to see Dubinksy beat the living hell out of him, and embarass his ass.
dubi won the decision...it wasn't much of a beating. it just looked cooleer cuz the guys jersey came up. the refs took care of business for the most part.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
  #92
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
yep. all i saw was that visor. couldn't believe that a guy would fight with a visor on.
agreed a guy shouldn't be beaten when he's down but it wasn't that cut and dried. maybe a couple extra punches but i also don't remember richards showing restraint plowing lundqvist in the first meeting. i'm sure dubi was pretty effing angry and there wasn't a ton of time to get a grip. that's what happens when you play dirty. people get angry.

if you can't take the beating, don't start the fight.

(and i hate 'tactical' fighting in hockey - but this was real tempers flaring)
Well said especially the highlighted sections. I'm old school and think you shouldn't punch a guy when he's down but that is more the case when they've fallen and are on their back. Richards still being on his knees could have popped back up so it's not as bad IMO.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:34 AM
  #93
TheyareGonnaGO
Registered User
 
TheyareGonnaGO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't give a **** if someone died. Don't fight if you have a visor on, then. Simple as that.

If you have a visor on, you remove your helmet. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I seriously cant think of one guy in the 80s or 90s who fought consistently with a visor on. If you go to hockeyfights.com, Richards has 22 friggin fights in his career and he wears a visor.

I agree 100%. Guys who fight on a consistent basis, and wear visors, show no respect for their fellow players. How is it a fair fight when you have a shield in front of your face? (Oh wait that's just it, it isn't a fair fight... that's the point of the visor.)

Sadly, this is the problem today in the NHL. You see it all the time with Ovechkin jumping into his opponent every time he attempts a check and Crosby's blatant dives.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
  #94
lovetherangers
Registered User
 
lovetherangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I just find it a little ironic that fans of the Philadelphia Flyers are complaining about the lack of adherence to some sort of "ethical code" and sportsmanship.
Seriously, since when are the Flyers and their fans little ms etiquettes? They are the biggest bunch of bush leaguers in the game, and this was just a small taste of their own medicine. Go cry me a river philly.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
  #95
lovetherangers
Registered User
 
lovetherangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Joe Kocur, Bob Probert, Al Secord, Stu Grimson, Basil McRae, Knuckles Nilan...those guys "kicked the crap" out of people.


Rant over.
I prefer to think of them as "demolishing all that laid in their wake". "Kicking the crap" out of people is much too tame an expression for these pugilists, especially Probert. In his prime I would take that coke enraged fiend over any fighter in history!

I used to particularly enjoy watching George McPhee when he was with us, he would kick the crap outta people too!

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:34 AM
  #96
Unpredictable1
Registered User
 
Unpredictable1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Jesus Christ. Richards did not "turtle", nor did Dubi "kick the crap out of him". Dubi won the decision when he was able to get Richards tangled up in his sweater. Richards landed two solid punches to Dubi's head, and Dubi responded with about 5 or 6.

Anybody who thinks Mike Richards would "turtle" needs to get their eyes checked. I hate the Flyers as much as anybody, but it amazes me how this current generation of hockey fans have no idea what constitutes "kicking the crap" out of somebody when it comes to hockey fights. Nowadays, 90 percent of them end up with one or two punches barely landing and it always ends in one of the guys tackling the guy to the ice. That NEVER used to happen on purpose, especially just 30 seconds into a fight

Joe Kocur, Bob Probert, Al Secord, Stu Grimson, Basil McRae, Knuckles Nilan...those guys "kicked the crap" out of people.

While it was nice to see Dubi win the fight and send a message that he can certainly hold his own, I'm not going to be some blind homer and consider a very quick and pedestrian fight something that it isnt.

Rant over.
Thanks for saving me to type. Good post.

Great that Dubi won and it looked good for the fans, and it sent a message.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
  #97
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
One more thing,


Players generally dont take their helmets off because of what happened to the guy who was killed last year. They were talking on Rogers today about how the NHL is looking into making it mandatory to keep your helmet on during a fight (unless it's forced off, which at that point the refs would be obligated to immediately stop the fight)

If you watched the Columbus-EDM game tonight, the Boll (I think) smacked his head on the ice after a takedown.

I think a player is an idiot for purposely taking his helmet off before a fight, and the rule should be that if you wear a visor, you shouldnt be allowed to fight...period, or you get a 2 and a 10 for being a wuss.
Again...we live in an era where most of the players who played in the CHL wear visors because they were required to in junior and required to in the AHL. I know you mentioned the 80's and 90's earlier in the thread and thats just silly. It's like comparing apples or oranges. The game and the culture are so different now.

As for not being allowed to fight if you wear a visor...I don't understand that logic. You are saying that if you wear a visor and you go to defend a teammate then you deserve a 2 and a 10 for being a wuss?

And for being a wuss because you wear a visor...I REALLY don't understand that logic. Spare me the macho crap. Guys are hitting and shooting the puck harder and faster than they ever have. In my mind you are crazy NOT to wear a visor. One look at Saku Koivu getting hit right in the eyes with a slapshot several years ago should tell you that.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
  #98
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,687
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I find it funny they are more worried they lost the fight than the game.

Flyer fans whats wrong with you guys?

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
  #99
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,486
vCash: 3743
Quote:
And for being a wuss because you wear a visor...I REALLY don't understand that logic.
That's because you're missing a ring in the logic chain.

The players that are being called "wusses" are the players that 1) wear a visor AND 2) fight with the visor on.

Wearing a visor when you play hockey is a smart move. It has minimal, if any bearing on whether a player is tough. If I played in the NHL (or had a child playing in the NHL) I'd want him to wear a visor for safety reasons.

I would NOT want him to fight with a visor on. If you want to be a fighter, take off the visor.

Wearing a visor and fighting a guy that isn't wearing a visor isn't tough. It's an unfair advantage in the fight and a bushleague move if the guy with the visor is instigating the fight.

Go punch a wall. Ouch, that hurt I bet. Having half your face covered while the other guy's is exposed is a "wuss" move when you're instigating the fight (or involved in fights regularly).

Letting a guy with a visor fight a guy without one is asinine. It's almost as "unfair" as letting one guy with brass knuckles fight another guy without them.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
  #100
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
That's because you're missing a ring in the logic chain.

The players that are being called "wusses" are the players that 1) wear a visor AND 2) fight with the visor on.

Wearing a visor when you play hockey is a smart move. It has minimal, if any bearing on whether a player is tough. If I played in the NHL (or had a child playing in the NHL) I'd want him to wear a visor for safety reasons.

I would NOT want him to fight with a visor on. If you want to be a fighter, take off the visor.

Wearing a visor and fighting a guy that isn't wearing a visor isn't tough. It's an unfair advantage in the fight and a bushleague move if the guy with the visor is instigating the fight.

Go punch a wall. Ouch, that hurt I bet. Having half your face covered while the other guy's is exposed is a "wuss" move when you're instigating the fight (or involved in fights regularly).

Letting a guy with a visor fight a guy without one is asinine. It's almost as "unfair" as letting one guy with brass knuckles fight another guy without them.

But by this logic you can also say that a guy who fights without a visor is stupid as well because he isn't giving himself the advantage.

We are talking about the heat of battle here. And we are also talking about two guys who ARE NOT fighters. If you want to make the case that guys like Shelly, Orr, Cote and Brashear should abide by this "visor" rule then I totally agree with you. They are guys who are out there for 5 minutes a game to do one thing and that's beat the living hell out of each other.

But we are talking about guys like Dubi and Richards who aren't fighters. They are top-6 skill players. Say what you want...but if fighting isn't my primary job, when push comes to shove I am not thinking about taking my helmet off when I am about to get into a fight, I'm thinking about defending myself. Guys like Orr are conditioned to take the helmets off...Dubi, Richards and the like aren't.

You said "if you want to be a fighter, take off the visor." We'll neither of these guys are fighters...they just happened to get into a fight. There is a big difference between being a fighter and being a guy who drops the gloves 4 or 5 times a year. Would you consider Dubi a fighter? Because I wouldn't...hell I wouldn't even consider Avery a fighter.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.