HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nash and Lander?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
  #1
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Nash and Lander?

Just curious how these guys have been progressing this season?

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
  #2
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,387
vCash: 500
Both are doing well this year but IMO Nash has almost nothing left to learn playing for Cornell. I hope that Edmonton can bring him to the AHL as he has already physicaly matured quite a bit since being drafted.

Lander on the other hand is in an interesting spot with Paajarvai. I don't really want to see the two seperated. It will be interesting to see what happens to Timra this year (if they keep the team or not) or if Lander gets moved to another SEL team or to the WHL (or something like that).

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM
  #3
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Both are doing well this year but IMO Nash has almost nothing left to learn playing for Cornell. I hope that Edmonton can bring him to the AHL as he has already physicaly matured quite a bit since being drafted.

Lander on the other hand is in an interesting spot with Paajarvai. I don't really want to see the two seperated. It will be interesting to see what happens to Timra this year (if they keep the team or not) or if Lander gets moved to another SEL team or to the WHL (or something like that).
Lander is getting paid to play hockey so I doubt he comes to North America unless he's got an NHL job....same with MPS

as for Nash, I wanna see him in the AHL nest year

Suspect pick from day 1 and they traded UP to get him and he's looks to have plateaued at Cornell....by the sounds of it, Oiler brass aren't to thrilled with his development

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:34 PM
  #4
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Just a feeling but I don't think Nash will be a top 6 forward. A 3rd line C that can win faceoffs, play defense, and pop a few goals here and there is my guess.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
  #5
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Both are doing well this year but IMO Nash has almost nothing left to learn playing for Cornell. I hope that Edmonton can bring him to the AHL as he has already physicaly matured quite a bit since being drafted.

Lander on the other hand is in an interesting spot with Paajarvai. I don't really want to see the two seperated. It will be interesting to see what happens to Timra this year (if they keep the team or not) or if Lander gets moved to another SEL team or to the WHL (or something like that).
This is definitely a good news. I think the Oilers fans might finally have something to look forward to in a couple of years--with Gagner, MPS, Hall/Seguin, Eberle, Lander, Nash.
Probably one or both of Penner and Hemsky will still be here in 2 years' time.
That's not too shabby.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
  #6
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Just a feeling but I don't think Nash will be a top 6 forward. A 3rd line C that can win faceoffs, play defense, and pop a few goals here and there is my guess.
For where he was drafted--that would not be a bad thing.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
  #7
surshot*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OILCOUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Nash is exactly what they thought he was going to be when he was drafted a Two way center who is deadly on the dot. He should pull out of Cornell and put hockey first, Would like to see him in Oklahoma city next year. It was nice to see he ripped it up the last few weeks to finish his season.

Lander has impressed me big time this year also a two way center who is deadly on the dot but is renowned for his leadership and character. He could probably use some more time in the oven and stay and play for Timra at least for another season.

I see both players being Oilers in the next few years.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
  #8
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Nash and Lander... sounds like a cool cop show.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 02:51 PM
  #9
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
For where he was drafted--that would not be a bad thing.
I was thinking of Marty Reasoner when I wrote that. I know Marty became a bit of a joke on this board after certain events that were beyond his control (ie. MacT's use of him), but he's had a pretty solid career IMO and the could probably use a guy like that right now.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
  #10
Agent Zero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EDM
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Nash is exactly what they thought he was going to be when he was drafted a Two way center who is deadly on the dot. He should pull out of Cornell and put hockey first, Would like to see him in Oklahoma city next year. It was nice to see he ripped it up the last few weeks to finish his season.

Lander has impressed me big time this year also a two way center who is deadly on the dot but is renowned for his leadership and character. He could probably use some more time in the oven and stay and play for Timra at least for another season.

I see both players being Oilers in the next few years.
I'd prefer them playing on North American soil... That way they can get use to the smaller ice surface and learn the game the Oilers wants them to play.

Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #11
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Both are doing good and both will be fighting for the 3rd line C spot on the Oilers in a couple years..

Seguin-Gagner-Lander-Nash = future Cs

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
  #12
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I was thinking of Marty Reasoner when I wrote that. I know Marty became a bit of a joke on this board after certain events that were beyond his control (ie. MacT's use of him), but he's had a pretty solid career IMO and the could probably use a guy like that right now.
I agree. Reasoner in his prime was a very good 3d line center. If Nash becomes Reasoner, he would have to be considered a good pick.

I understand, however, that Nash is a pretty good skater. Reasoner never was. I think that was one thing that kept him from becoming an elite checking center or more of an offensive threat.

Either way

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Seguin/Hall-Eberle
Nash-Lander-Brule

Lots to look forward to!

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:32 PM
  #13
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 500
Nash, by all reports, has better hands than Lander + Reasoner.

He could play top-6 whereas Lander probably will be bottom-6. Nash just needs to bulk up to play in the NHL.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
  #14
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Both are doing good and both will be fighting for the 3rd line C spot on the Oilers in a couple years..

Seguin-Gagner-Lander-Nash = future Cs
IMO, one of Nash or Lander is gonna have to switch to LW. Vande Velde I envision as the 4th line center. O'Marra is anyones guess but he might have to switch to RW as well.

4 center prospects, all 4 good on the dot. 2 LH and 2 RH. Hopefully those that can best adapt to the wing are the ones slightly worse at FOs. Than again, maybe those lines can start every faceoff by getting him and the opposing center thrown out.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
  #15
Destroyko
Registered User
 
Destroyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
IMO, one of Nash or Lander is gonna have to switch to LW. Vande Velde I envision as the 4th line center. O'Marra is anyones guess but he might have to switch to RW as well.

4 center prospects, all 4 good on the dot. 2 LH and 2 RH. Hopefully those that can best adapt to the wing are the ones slightly worse at FOs. Than again, maybe those lines can start every faceoff by getting him and the opposing center thrown out.
Or, the Oilers could draft an elite LW'er in Taylor Hall.

Gagner-Nash-Lander-VV isn't bad, especially if the wingers are strong with Hall, Hemsky, Penner and Eberle. That's not an elite lineup but it's the makings of a playoff-worthy forward roster.

Destroyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
  #16
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyko View Post
Or, the Oilers could draft an elite LW'er in Taylor Hall.

Gagner-Nash-Lander-VV isn't bad, especially if the wingers are strong with Hall, Hemsky, Penner and Eberle. That's not an elite lineup but it's the makings of a playoff-worthy forward roster.
Not sure what this has to do with Taylor Hall. IMO it's 50/50 he ends up playing LW/C for us. It'll depend what else happens in the next couple of years.

I figure we're bottom-6 heavy in center prospects (the ones I named) and they're gonna have to find a way to co-exist in the next couple years, most likely by some converting to wing. The possibility exists that Horcoff will get bumped down to a 3C role as well, further cramping space.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
  #17
Destroyko
Registered User
 
Destroyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Not sure what this has to do with Taylor Hall. IMO it's 50/50 he ends up playing LW/C for us. It'll depend what else happens in the next couple of years.
I'm not sure that jives with what Lowe said to Gregor the other day. He was pretty categorical that Hall was a winger and Seguin was a centre - so I don't think 50/50 is a reasonable call.

I think that when, organizationally, the left wing is so horribly malnourished, it's not appropriate to be pencilling in another centre when we have some (I say "some") depth there. I brought up Hall in an unrelated thread because you brought up Seguin, that's all.

Destroyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
  #18
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Hall has mentioned numerous times that he's a natural centre and if need be, he'll make the switch back when turning pro. Having said that, I'd rather that he stay at LW if the Oilers draft him.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:26 PM
  #19
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyko View Post
I'm not sure that jives with what Lowe said to Gregor the other day. He was pretty categorical that Hall was a winger and Seguin was a centre - so I don't think 50/50 is a reasonable call.

I think that when, organizationally, the left wing is so horribly malnourished, it's not appropriate to be pencilling in another centre when we have some (I say "some") depth there. I brought up Hall in an unrelated thread because you brought up Seguin, that's all.
When did I do this...

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
  #20
Lowe in Oil
Registered User
 
Lowe in Oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
Both are doing good and both will be fighting for the 3rd line C spot on the Oilers in a couple years..

Seguin-Gagner-Lander-Nash = future Cs
SEGIN????

What have you been smoking?

He will never be an Oiler. Unless Boston gets 1st overall pick

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
  #21
Destroyko
Registered User
 
Destroyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
When did I do this...
My apologies, it was in the post you quoted from someone else. My point is that I brought up Hall because Seguin was brought up and I thought it was relevant to the discussion of Nash and Lander's future with the organization, namely: why draft a centre when we have quite a few but no LW'ers (provided the two are neck and neck).

Destroyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 04:58 PM
  #22
Seanzie888
Registered User
 
Seanzie888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Waaaaaaaaay Up
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
That's all fine with Hall on the LW but then what happens to MPS? He's supposed to be our #1 or 2 LW'er. Are you suggesting we push Penner further down the depth chart? Because management most likely won't.

Also, has either Lander or MPS stated publicly that they will not play in the AHL?

Seanzie888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
  #23
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
SEGIN????

What have you been smoking?

He will never be an Oiler. Unless Boston gets 1st overall pick
Who?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
  #24
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyko View Post
My apologies, it was in the post you quoted from someone else. My point is that I brought up Hall because Seguin was brought up and I thought it was relevant to the discussion of Nash and Lander's future with the organization, namely: why draft a centre when we have quite a few but no LW'ers (provided the two are neck and neck).
I agree we're talking about an overload of center prospects, but I don't see Nash or Lander as 1st or 2nd line centers, much less Vande Velde or O'Marra. Perhaps we got our signals crossed somewhere.

Anyways, With Penner and Paajarvi, is there really that much of a top end LW deficiency?

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
  #25
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyko View Post
Or, the Oilers could draft an elite LW'er in Taylor Hall.

Gagner-Nash-Lander-VV isn't bad, especially if the wingers are strong with Hall, Hemsky, Penner and Eberle. That's not an elite lineup but it's the makings of a playoff-worthy forward roster.
actually it is .. we need a true top line C if we are to compete.. I want to see a better option then Gagner on our top line. Gagner would be an above average 2nd liner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Not sure what this has to do with Taylor Hall. IMO it's 50/50 he ends up playing LW/C for us. It'll depend what else happens in the next couple of years.
.
we'll see .. I have doubts of him playing C for us especially early on in his career.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hall has mentioned numerous times that he's a natural centre and if need be, he'll make the switch back when turning pro. Having said that, I'd rather that he stay at LW if the Oilers draft him.
most talented forwards say the same.. I bet Hemsky would say the same.. Eberle, Cogliano, O'Sullivan, Pouliot, Pisani, Penner, Potulny all could claim to prefer C but if it doesnt happen in junior or big tournaments then its also unlikely to happen in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
SEGIN????

What have you been smoking?

He will never be an Oiler. Unless Boston gets 1st overall pick
woah.. relax .. I said Seguin not Teresenko or Fowler .. definately did not say SEGIN..
Also you are wrong.. Seguin could be an Oiler as a 2nd overall pick if CAR, CBJ or the other bottom 5 team wins the lotto ... so HA!!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.