HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

If we SOMEHOW hold on and squeak into the playoffs...

Old
03-16-2010, 01:09 AM
barcs

vCash: 500
Give me Ottawa. The confidence that this team would gain going forward if they could somehow, finally squeak out a series win against the Sens would be tremendously tremendous.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
As long as it's not Jersey or Pittsburgh I'm happy.
Agreed - although I'd add Washington into the category of "try to avoid as long as possible". Their goaltending is their weak spot IMO but their offense is too deep and spread out for Miller to stop single-handedly and I don't have the confidence in the Sabre defense to help out.

It's easy to get tricked into picking an "easy" opponent but the truth is that there is no such thing. On top of that truth, we've seen the Sabres so often be giant-killers one night and then road kill for some cellar dweller the next.

It's natural to be scared of Ottawa based on their regular season dominance over the Sabres this season - but Buffalo was just as inept against a better Senator team in the 2005-06 season and then turned the tables in the playoffs. Similarly, they weren't very good against Ottawa in 1998-99 but swept them then. I'm not convinced that a goalie duo of Elliott and LeClaire is going to take Ottawa very far, whether they play Buffalo or not.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

IMO....

No chance vs Pens, Caps or Ottawa.

50-50 vs Devils and Bruins.

I'd have a feeling we'd beat the Flyers and the Habs.

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

bring em on.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Luceni

I don't know, but Philly scares the hell out of me as does Ottawa. I don't want to play neither of them. They both suck right now, but at Playoff time, they will bounce back I guess. Oh, and by the way, we suck too, at the moment.

Please give me Montreal or the Rangers.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:51 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Oh come on...they could go 5-10 in their last 15 and probably still make it.
2-12-1 and we still have a >50% chance of making the playoffs. There's exactly one way for us to miss the playoffs this year, and I don't even want to put it into words. This thread is jinxy enough as-is.

I think the obvious choices for favorable matchups are teams like Montreal, Boston, and the Rangers. They all seem to have some pretty major flaws or holes in their roster. Or any of the teams in the Southeast if they could squeak into one of the last spots.

Less obvious,and I might well be in the minority here, but I'd love to see the Flyers in the first round. I'd probably get banned by game 3, but watching some of the Flyers fans on the main board while they suffer through the agony of defeat would be epic. And with all the big name talent they have, it'd be hilarious if our roster full of 2nd tier talent could pull off an upset. It's a shame Emery won't be around to rip on, because that would be the icing on the cake.

I also think Brodeur is well past his prime, and even with Kovalchuk, NJ is ripe for a playoff upset. Not sure we're the team to do it, but I could definitely see them getting beat, badly, in the 1st or 2nd round.

Teams I want nothing to do with? Obviously Ottawa. And I don't want to play the Capitals, at all. The Pens are the team to beat in the East, and I don't think even Miller could get us past playoff-level Crosby and Malkin.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Teams I want nothing to do with? Obviously Ottawa. And I don't want to play the Capitals, at all. The Pens are the team to beat in the East, and I don't think even Miller could get us past playoff-level Crosby and Malkin.
Unless either/both of them get cheap-shotted out of the playoffs first. The unintended consequences of Matt Cooke's style of 'hockey.'

It's open season out there and it's beginning to scare me.

As for the thread title? :joshjull: unless, of course, it's sarcasm.

I'm not sold on any team in the east and whoever wants their first round matchup more will win, that includes the Caps. All the teams are flawed and all of them are ripe for an upset by a hungrier, nastier team.

So, for me, I could care less, just get there, preferably with home ice advantage and win the first round. After that it's a crapshoot of injuries.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
We won't beat Ottawa home or away...it just never seems to happen.
Hmmm, 3-1 playoff series record over the Sens. The last time Ottawa was favoured against us, we won handily. I don't want to relive the last time Buffalo was the favourite to win the series.

I think we match up well against MTL, BOS and NYR. That they are 7-9 in the standings, is no coincidence.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
Give me Ottawa. The confidence that this team would gain going forward if they could somehow, finally squeak out a series win against the Sens would be tremendously tremendous.
Finally?

We've only got a 14-8 record in playoff games against Ottawa. In '06-07, it was Ottawa who "finally" got past Buffalo in the playoffs.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:23 AM
fightclubber25

a playoff team shouldnt have to be afraid to face anyone once they get there. thats just a recipe for disaster. thats why this team isnt good enough.. because there actually are teams theyre afraid of. heres to a quick painless exit in the first round and a nice house cleaning of the franchise and a fresh look next year.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:35 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
a playoff team shouldnt have to be afraid to face anyone once they get there. thats just a recipe for disaster. thats why this team isnt good enough.. because there actually are teams theyre afraid of. heres to a quick painless exit in the first round and a nice house cleaning of the franchise and a fresh look next year.

gtfo

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
gtfo
imo ygtfo

Old
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
aceface33

Quote:
imo ygtfo
no u

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Get there. I don't care who they face. Ruff has shown he can gameplan for opponents and Miller has shown he can be lights-out in the second season. The rest of these schmoes will sort themselves out this spring. If nothing else, it could make it clear who stays and who goes before the next camp.

03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Get there. I don't care who they face. Ruff has shown he can gameplan for opponents and Miller has shown he can be lights-out in the second season. The rest of these schmoes will sort themselves out this spring. If nothing else, it could make it clear who stays and who goes before the next camp.
And that seemed to be Regier's plan all along, like it or not.

Ta,

Old
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
"Hold on and squeak into the playoffs?"

If we don't win the division I'll be pissed. We have a 3 point lead with 2 games in hand on Ottawa, 3 games and 6 points on the Habs, and well Boston is so far back at 10 points it's hard to understand how we still have a game in hand on them too.

Buffalo should easily take this division if they don't fall flat on their faces. If they do I have no doubt they'll get their ***** handed to them in the first round.

It'll be hard to take if we lose the division being in the position we're in and then have this crap front office try and sell us that it was a successful season.

TBH, if the Sabres don't secure the division, the fans should boycott the playoff games to send a message.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
joechip

Quote:

Last I checked we here at HF don't don Sabres sweaters and play the games. Some here are afraid of certain teams. That is categorically not the same as the Sabres being afraid to play certain teams. But, I guess it's easy to project whatever you want from the safety and security of your house.

My hope for this post-season is a surprising playoff run, first, b/c they are fun and I'll be able to root for my team and second, b/c the real entertainment around here will begin as users like yourself will be in full backpedal mode... while half-heartedly cheering them on.

Ta,

Old
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
"Hold on and squeak into the playoffs?"

If we don't win the division I'll be pissed. We have a 3 point lead with 2 games in hand on Ottawa, 3 games and 6 points on the Habs, and well Boston is so far back at 10 points it's hard to understand how we still have a game in hand on them too.

Buffalo should easily take this division if they don't fall flat on their faces. If they do I have no doubt they'll get their ***** handed to them in the first round.

It'll be hard to take if we lose the division being in the position we're in and then have this crap front office try and sell us that it was a successful season.

TBH, if the Sabres don't secure the division, the fans should boycott the playoff games to send a message.
Once again, we know where the Sabres are, the OP is just trying to not piss off the hockey gods...

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Last I checked we here at HF don't don Sabres sweaters and play the games. Some here are afraid of certain teams. That is categorically not the same as the Sabres being afraid to play certain teams. But, I guess it's easy to project whatever you want from the safety and security of your house.

My hope for this post-season is a surprising playoff run, first, b/c they are fun and I'll be able to root for my team and second, b/c the real entertainment around here will begin as users like yourself will be in full backpedal mode... while half-heartedly cheering them on.

Ta,
To be fair, a lot of us are purposefully being negative because that's the theme of this thread, and sort of the theme for Buffalo sports in general. It's more of a joke than anything (well, I know for me and some others it is).

But yes, I agree with your first point. I hate when people claim they know what players are thinking, or how players act off the ice, or who is a leader in the locker room, etc... There's no possible way to know any of that stuff.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
joechip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
To be fair, a lot of us are purposefully being negative because that's the theme of this thread, and sort of the theme for Buffalo sports in general. It's more of a joke than anything (well, I know for me and some others it is).

But yes, I agree with your first point. I hate when people claim they know what players are thinking, or how players act off the ice, or who is a leader in the locker room, etc... There's no possible way to know any of that stuff.
I understand, but disagree with, the level of dissatisfaction with this team/organization. It's evident with the fans at the arena [1], those that call in to WGR and post here on HF.

But, the particular poster in question has made comments like that more than once and not in this thread. And, I think, is somehow indicative of a sense of entitlement which is far beyond being a committed or committable (*grin*) fan. We have people here actively wishing this team would fail, mistakenly thinking that then management (with our without Regier/Ruff) will somehow make radically different choices about players, which, in turn, will magically be completely in line with what they believe to be the 'right' way to build a team. That, of course, is complete nonsense.

Not only that, it's a crazy waste of perfectly good energy that could be channeled into things that matter. [2]

Ta,

[1] - The booing of Lalime was horrible.

[2] - like me spending my time responding to it, granted.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Clock

Gotta give props to jBuds for creating this thread the "right way." Superstition ftw!

I'm at the point right now where I don't really care who we face from the "what's our best chance?" perspective. It might as well be Ottawa or Philly or Washington.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:33 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I'd love to play the Leafs in the first round!

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 02:50 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

As a season ticket holder, I cant wait to be back in the arena for a game that really means something. Whoever it is, bring 'em on. Hopefully, its going to be a fun ride.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
As a season ticket holder, I cant wait to be back in the arena for a game that really means something. Whoever it is, bring 'em on. Hopefully, its going to be a fun ride.

alas.. the point that i think a lot of sports fans miss, which imo has lead to being ok with a losing product.. ALL GAMES MEAN SOMETHING! if they cant hunker down and win these "meaningless regular season games" in the opinion of a long time hockey person.. theyre not going to be able to hunker down and win playoff games.

no?

Old
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
joechip

Quote:
alas.. the point that i think a lot of sports fans miss, which imo has lead to being ok with a losing product.. ALL GAMES MEAN SOMETHING! if they cant hunker down and win these "meaningless regular season games" in the opinion of a long time hockey person.. theyre not going to be able to hunker down and win playoff games.

no?
The point is that fans expecting a group of people to perform at a consistently high level under all circumstances at all times is completely and utterly unrealistic. Are you consistently excellent at your job every day that you go there? Are your co-workers? Are you as good a student/father/friend etc. as you could be everyday of your life?

Of course not. Expecting your hockey team to perform at that level every game is, be definition, delusional. And our memories of teams past are imperfect.

Has this team been more consistently good night in/night out this season compared to the last two? Yes. Is it good enough to win a championship? We don't know, but most likely not. Setting that as your lower limit for cheering for your team is, IMO, silly.

Ta,