HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins at Hurricanes

Old
03-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Gr8Dan

vCash: 500
hmm.. we can think about seguin again now?

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

wow so we had a chance for a few mins....and then....collapse. wow

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Gr8Dan

Cole arrives when no one else does

Old
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

i guess sometimes the tables have to turn

Old
03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

03-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 50
McBain has been pretty impressive. Only his first game but he's leaving a great first impression.

Would have rathered scratched Dwyer or even Samsonov and let Boychuk play, I think he's been solid and improving lately. With that said, still trying to get that playoff spot made us go with the safer pick.

Evidently Erik Cole reads these boards.

Lastly, bring on a top 3 pick.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

7-5-1 will put us right near the middle of "No Man's Land", so that is what I predict we do.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

so that marks our first 2 game losing streak since Feb 1/3. our last 2 games were complete bombs, since we are for sure not making the playoffs now, ill be honest, im all for bombing again lol.

Old
03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Atleast we have a pretty tough schedule. There is hope.

Old
03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

I'm not blaming the loss on the officiating (that one lands mostly on Legace), but is there a worse official than Auger right now? The guy has no idea how to step away from the game and not make it about himself.

The first two calls, especially the one on Staal, were jokes. Nudging someone is a penalty? Gaining body position is a penalty? Joke.

Glad we're finally done with that playoff nonsense. Too hectic. Need that top 3 spot now. Our little run did nothing but bring a couple Western teams closer to us.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Legace is worthless tonight.... not that he is getting a whole lot of help....though i would still put 3 or 4 of the goals directly on him
Only one I put directly on him was #2. All the others were in very little way his fault, although he could have had a couple.

McBain had a good first game. He looked jittery as hell in his first game, but he didn't buckle under the pressure. Offensively he is definitely ready for the show though. I have little doubt that he's going to be a damn good offensive defenseman in a few years.

All I can say after tonight though is that the playoffs are done. We need to play the role of spoiler for a few teams though. Nothing would make me happier then seeing the Panthers get on a role and then us being the team that eliminates them after the way the season in 08 ended.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I'm not blaming the loss on the officiating (that one lands mostly on Legace), but is there a worse official than Auger right now? The guy has no idea how to step away from the game and not make it about himself.

The first two calls, especially the one on Staal, were jokes. Nudging someone is a penalty? Gaining body position is a penalty? Joke.

Glad we're finally done with that playoff nonsense. Too hectic. Need that top 3 spot now. Our little run did nothing but bring a couple Western teams closer to us.
Auger was the official? Hah, not surprised. The first two periods were brutal. Everything was called. Then in that 3rd period anything goes.

Pitkanen gets a big WTF from me. He was all over the ice, in a bad way. The defense as a whole was bad. Boston's 4th and 5th goals were horrible, horrible giveaways.

Playoffs are dead, but I'm still going to cheer them on to win every game. I don't care if it means they pick 11th or whatever.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
caniac247

Well I am glad we can finally put this playoff talk nonsense to the wayside.

Legace wasn't the whole problem, but he sure didn't make that save when we needed it. Twice Rask made an awesome save then here comes Boston, boom, red light is on.

McBain looked good for his 1st ever NHL game. Had a few hiccups, but for the most part I thought he did well. Looks very promising. I'll be all for sending Harrison back to Albany and keep McBain. I'd like to see him play out the season here and get a better idea on if he's ready next year.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Worst defensive effort of the year... Pothier set up the 4th goal like he was on the Bruins... Props to Cole

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Worst defensive effort of the year... Pothier set up the 4th goal like he was on the Bruins... Props to Cole
If you're talking about the one where he tried to pass to Brind'Amour, that is probably at the very least 50% on Brind'Amour. When your defenseman is getting pressured on the forecheck, you make yourself an available passing option. Brind'Amour never faced the play, forced Pothier to toss it into his feet, and Brind'Amour never touched it. Front the play, make yourself a passing option, and work the puck up the ice and out of trouble.

Unfortunately for Pothier, it was either cough it up or get destroyed and cough it up. He made the right play. He's not concussed right now.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Gr8Dan

He could have dumped it down the side and not in the middle of the ice. Mostly pothier on that.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Islanders, Atlanta and Toronto all pick up a win tonight. Decent news. Time to go on a season ending losing skid.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
He could have dumped it down the side and not in the middle of the ice. Mostly pothier on that.
Agreed... Brind'Asaurus made a mistake, but Pothier can not, under any circumstance, in a 1 goal game cough it up to an area directly in front of the the goal...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 4327
Well, I sat in Center Ice for $15 and it was so not worth the money. It really ticked me off thinking about the insane amount of money those guys were getting paid to put in a pitiful excuse of a game like that. There is absolutely NO reason for the team to have come out in the first period and played it like it was still the warm-ups.

Tonight I'm just really ticked off. I spent just about 5 hours on the road today getting to and from the game. I work my buns off, go to school seemingly endless hours, and still make peanuts for a living. Those guys have it made I tell you and sometimes look like they couldn't care any less. Ok, obviously my bed time...

Cheers to the 3rd overall pick this year and to a much more successful season in 2010/2011.

EDIT: Leafs are only 4 points behind us?!?!?! Wow, we could easily get down/up to the 2nd pick.

Last edited by Caniac4ever: 03-16-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Not great game for Pothier but i hope we can back him here for next season. I hope McBain to be regular next season too.

Pitkanen, Carson, Gleason, McBain, Pothier and Fowler!

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Gr8Dan

I'd rather get seguin but fowler could work too After a month of taking a break from talking about a top 3 pick, here we are again

Old
03-17-2010, 01:25 AM
bleedgreen

i dont know, looks like bergeron got hurt - the bruins cant beat us next time without any forwards.

i think pothier, even tonight aside from the one play has been our best all around d since he arrived. he is the anti-corvo. passes when he should pass, shoots when he should shoot, skates well, hits a bit. just a real good two way game ala wesley in his prime or chaisson. a two year deal would be perfect, if he looks like he can be healthy, which is a big if. picard....walk away and dont qualify him. he isnt THAT bad, but he isnt good enough to take a spot away from mcbain/carson/ top pick.

pothier one play is one ive expected more from this team. with all the changes to the lineup i assumed there would be some gaffes. i love how pothier mentions how "simple" the scheme is here compared to wash. i always figured mo didnt really have any set plays, it always shows in our own end where too often guys dont even look like they know where they are supposed to go. to me his comments are telling and not a compliment.

im glad cole stuck it to you haters. that ******** hate cole thread came out after his first game back in over a month. the guy came back from a broken league BEFORE that injury. lets see you guys skate in the nhl after a broken leg. useless my dimpled ass. i have no problem with his contract, and he is hardly the albatross on this squad. he absolutely fits on this team going forward, even as a third line banger. i dont expect the offense from him anymore, i just love it when he can skate. sammy/brindy/whitney i hope are all gone next year and i hope cole stays. id take friggin walker back before the other three.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
picard....walk away and dont qualify him. he isnt THAT bad, but he isnt good enough to take a spot away from mcbain/carson/ top pick.
...and not worth nearly the $1M it would take to qualify him. He looks worse than Bryan Rodney to me.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:27 AM
semin4captain

Erik Cole scoring two goals after 40+ games of suck isn't sticking into anyone. Even Samsonov and Brind'amour score goals once in awhile. Talk to me again when he hits the glorious half-a-point-per-game mark. There's always an excuse to Cole. Earlier in the season he was coming back from an injury, in the playoffs it was "playing hurt" (when ISN'T Cole playing hurt?), in Edmonton it was he was a bad fit and had to play on his off-wing for five games , the year before it was he was coming off an injury (sustained while kicking a soccer ball ).

$3M for a "third line banger" is too much. He has absolute hands of stone. He nearly managed to screw up that empty net tap-in on the first goal. Watch the side angle and you can see he whiffs on it and it gently flutters into the net. But congratulations to Cole for actually going to the net on the powerplay instead of hanging out by the halfboards trying to pass through four defenders. I can no longer say that Erik Cole is getting outscored on the powerplay. Maybe one day he will have a positive goal differential there!

As for Whitney, we are speaking of a soon-to-be 38-year old one-way, non-physical winger who is on pace for 61 points while receiving first line and first unit PP time. And he may not even get that many points--apparently "The Wizard's" latest trick since the trade deadline is the disappearing act. He is a complimentary player that is spoken of as some sort of superstar by the media. I believe that you and I are the only ones that want him gone. He (along with Samsonov/Brind'amour/Cole) is a roadblock to younger players. No, it is unlikely that any of the prospects next year will be able to replicate what he produced this year, but they also won't cost anywhere near as much (unless you believe that he can be signed for a cheap $1M, one-year deal, in which case you are delusional). Whitney's money needs to go to the defense, which sucks in case anyone has not noticed. And I would argue that if you were to give 19 minutes a game with 4 minutes of powerplay time and no PK time to one of our prospects, even they would produce at a respectable rate. SOMEONE has to score on a bad team...and we are a bad team.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:36 AM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
...and not worth nearly the $1M it would take to qualify him. He looks worse than Bryan Rodney to me.
That's pretty much the worst thing you can say about a defenseman other than "he looks worse than Jay Harrison."

Speaking of Rodney, perhaps next year will be the year when people stop referring to him as a prospect with potential? A part of me hopes that we don't qualify him just so people can stop talking about him. He was eligible for the draft the same year as Ward and Pitkanen. Apparently being an AHL All-Star when you're in your fifth professional season after spending an overage year in juniors is some sort of accomplishment that indicates NHL potential. I wonder if people would call Boychuk a legit prospect if he was still in the AHL in 2015.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote