HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Game 68: Buffalo Sabres at Atlanta Thrashers, 3/16/10, 7:00 p.m. EST, Philips Arena

Old
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
12-13-4 since January 1. This just isn't one of those Ruff-coached teams that gets hot the second half.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThorne View Post
Where did you get that awesome pic of a cat on a curling stone?! That's great! I want one.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_479005.html

Old
03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placek View Post
12-13-4 since January 1. This just isn't one of those Ruff-coached teams that gets hot the second half.
Yeah, definitely surprising. They still have a chance to end the year hot though.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Yeah, definitely surprising. They still have a chance to end the year hot though.
I'm turning blue holding my breath.

Old
03-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
That's the type of kick-in-the-sack loss that's going to lead to a 2-7-2 stretch. The Sens are practically trying to hand us the division and Buffalo refuses to take it. Now, Montreal may win the division. How ****ing pathetic.

Sickening stat: The Atlanta Thrashers are 6-0-2 vs Buffalo over the last two seasons.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
With the two annual Sabres killers not in the mix anymore (Kovalchuk traded, Kozlov scratched), the only one that historically causes problems for Buffalo is Hedberg - and he's not enough of a reason for the Sabres to lose this game. This should be a gimme if Buffalo doesn't beat itself with turnovers, sloppy passing or weak goaltending.

It's also getting high time for Torres to start putting up some goals on the board...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That description sounds a bit like the Minny game. I have no idea what version of this Jeckyll and Hide team shows up tonight, or for how long. They SHOULD be able to walk out with a win. And at the same point, there are enough former Sabres in that lineup that breaking one off up the Sabres tail would leave them particularly satisfied. My fear is that we hear the "fatigue" excuse after tonight's game.
Ironically, we got almost the same sort of goaltending as the Minny game... with the same result.

03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post

Nice.

I expect the diaspora to be in full force, and nothing short of several "Let's Go Buffalo" chants to be fully audible on TV.
35% of which started by me.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Ironically, we got almost the same sort of goaltending as the Minny game... with the same result.
Yep, on most nights, two of those first three goals happen, Miller gets them.

Oh well...

It's a "normal" loss, on the road, to a decent team.
Our MVP goalie laid an egg for like the 3rd time in 60 games, they were on their heels after a slow start....

Happens.

/shrug

Wasn't too bad, if you accept the variable that is the other team.
Atlanta played a good home game.
And I'm happy to see Max and Mac doing well.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Luceni

Next 3 games are must-wins now.......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

they are squandering every opportunity to pull away from the rest of the division. frustrating to watch.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Our MVP goalie laid an egg for like the 3rd time in 60 games, they were on their heels after a slow start....

Happens.
/shrug
I'm not concerned about miller, but the team had a slow start for about the 30th time in 60 games...which is just pathetic

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
The Atlanta third goal is exactly what Ruff was *****ing about about two weeks ago when he was yelling about communication.

This "ho hum" lackadaisical efforts at the start of the games needs to stop. This is the 3rd game in a row where we play crap hockey and get buried by 2-3 goals against before the first ice cleaning. Only to bust our ass trying to catch up to fall short.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post
The Atlanta third goal is exactly what Ruff was *****ing about about two weeks ago when he was yelling about communication.

This "ho hum" lackadaisical efforts at the start of the games needs to stop. This is the 3rd game in a row where we play crap hockey and get buried by 2-3 goals against before the first ice cleaning. Only to bust our ass trying to catch up to fall short.
I agree about communication, but 9 times out of 10 Miller shoots it around the boards.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

I was at work still for the 1st; had the GDT open and "heard" everyone's kvetching.

I saw the 2nd and 3rd on FS South boradcast.

I thought some of the penalty calls were a little iffy, both ways.

I loved the Sabres effort in the 3rd, especially during the Mair penalty kill with under 2:00 to go. The effort was there during the portions I saw. I didn't see the DET game, but the opening shift against MIN was great, then that game went downhill from there. If this team doesn't learn to start a game hard and intensely like PAID PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES WHOSE OBJECTIVE IS TO WIN, then I'll be happy to see them swept in 4 games come playoff time.

And is there anyone on BUF other than Meyers who can gain the zone and not get forced wide to the boards or corner?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirris View Post

The communication problem starts with Ruff. He may be saying all the right things, but it has no effect if the players don't listen to him. For whatever reason, they've tuned him out.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
The communication problem starts with Ruff. He may be saying all the right things, but it has no effect if the players don't listen to him. For whatever reason, they've tuned him out.
I don't suscribe to the "they've tuned him out" theory. I do think they listen to him. Rather, sometimes professional athletes just need to hear a different voice or different viewpoint to maximize their ability. There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Many of the top players in the organization have stagnated. Is that just because they're average players? Is it solely because of the style of play reverting to clutch-and-grab? I don't think so. I don't hate Ruff, but there always comes a time when change is necessary. I think that time is at hand.

If they're not going to get rid of several players in the core, I think it's time for both the organization and Ruff to move on. For different reasons, I believe Dineen, Arneil or Cunneyworth could do good things with this group.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
K McDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
I'm not concerned about miller, but the team had a slow start for about the 30th time in 60 games...which is just pathetic
At what point do we hold Lindy responsible?

The Sabres have played this way since midway through the President Cup season, only we had a much more talented team then.

I don't think there's a better option out there than Lindy, but this teams act is wearing thin.

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Hank Moody
Easy, but not sleazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post

The Sabres have played this way since midway through the President Cup season, only we had a much more talented team then.

I don't think there's a better option out there than Lindy, but this teams act is wearing thin.
i watched the sabres all the time back in the late 90's when i was in middle school, then stopped following hockey for a few years, then started watching them religiously again at the end of the 07-08 season. have we really played this way since halfway through the president trophy season? that's sad. i wonder if ruff is taking his job for granted since he's been here for so long...? we've had enough players come and go since then to make me believe that it's not entirely the players' fault for the lackadaisical play.

Hank Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
i watched the sabres all the time back in the late 90's when i was in middle school, then stopped following hockey for a few years, then started watching them religiously again at the end of the 07-08 season. have we really played this way since halfway through the president trophy season? that's sad. i wonder if ruff is taking his job for granted since he's been here for so long...? we've had enough players come and go since then to make me believe that it's not entirely the players' fault for the lackadaisical play.
The game has changed, and since the focus is now on bigger and faster players, when you build a team through drafting, the model takes years to pay off. The sabres were proactive out of the lockout gate, but the game changed and they haven't.