HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Scott Stevens Double Standard

Old
03-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Andrew Sykes

vCash: 500
Scott Stevens Double Standard

I find it funny how all the heat over head shots has come to the fore in the last couple years when it has been going on forever. The only difference is that a few years ago no one seemed to make a fuss when a guy would get drilled with a check to the head. Players who dished them out were in fact applauded for their physical play and we the fans were told that there was nothing wrong with a shoulder to the head when a guy was in a vulnerable position (as long as there was no elbow it was ok, right?). Players who crushed guys in this manner were hailed as heroes, and the type of player you should strive to be like. Prime example: Scott Stevens. What I'd like to know is why no one ever talked about head shots when Scott Stevens was running rampant on everyone? How many concussions did he dish out yet everyone adored him and said things like "thats just a good clean shoulder by Stevens" or they blamed players like Eric Lindros for not having their head up when the big "pit bull" Stevens was on the ice. All of the players who have recently been on the receiving end of a head-shot can thank the old school way of thinking in hockey.

Also, has anyone stopped to think that perhaps these incidents have occurred so frequently because the culprits grew up in a time when these types of hits were not only accepted but encouraged.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Because Stevens did it from the front or side, never from the back or blind side like the hits on Booth and Savard were.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I agree! It makes no sense that suddenly Matt Cooke and Mike Richards are villified for catching players with their heads down. Richards' was a little different and I could see Cooke's as being quite dirty but ten years ago we'd all be talking about how Richards just completely destroyed Booth. I've always been a supporter of having no "anti-headshot" rule. But that's just me. Hits are a part of the game, and while I don't think it's acceptable for a player to patrol the ice deliberately looking for a headshot, I don't think a headshot should intrinsically be a penalty.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
TOML

Double standard:

Scott Stevens was one of the most respected players in the league. Hate him or not, he was respected. He earned it through years and years of backing up his actions. He is a hall-of-famer.

Matt Cooke is one of the least respected players in the league. He brings nothing to the game but turtling and acting like a cowardly punk. He is a joke.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TomDelonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sykes View Post
I find it funny how all the heat over head shots has come to the fore in the last couple years when it has been going on forever. The only difference is that a few years ago no one seemed to make a fuss when a guy would get drilled with a check to the head. Players who dished them out were in fact applauded for their physical play and we the fans were told that there was nothing wrong with a shoulder to the head when a guy was in a vulnerable position (as long as there was no elbow it was ok, right?). Players who crushed guys in this manner were hailed as heroes, and the type of player you should strive to be like. Prime example: Scott Stevens. What I'd like to know is why no one ever talked about head shots when Scott Stevens was running rampant on everyone? How many concussions did he dish out yet everyone adored him and said things like "thats just a good clean shoulder by Stevens" or they blamed players like Eric Lindros for not having their head up when the big "pit bull" Stevens was on the ice. All of the players who have recently been on the receiving end of a head-shot can thank the old school way of thinking in hockey.

Also, has anyone stopped to think that perhaps these incidents have occurred so frequently because the culprits grew up in a time when these types of hits were not only accepted but encouraged.
I agree for the most part. However, the game has changed a lot since then, and you have to adjust to the new rules. Player safety is more of a concern now, and doing it now should feel wrong, because every player knows that its wrong now, yet it still goes on.

TomDelonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Because Stevens did it from the front or side, never from the back or blind side like the hits on Booth and Savard were.
Huh? Have you ever seen the the hit on Kariya? It was exactly the same as Booth's and Savard's, and the puck was probably gone even longer.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Weren't they hits coming from the side?

Same with neil's hit on drury. From the side. Stevens did this too. Yet people complained when neil did it. When stevens did it it was a thing of beauty right? lol I kind of agree with OP

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
BostonAJ

Stevens played in the clutch and grab era. Today, players have the freedom to skate at much higher speeds. Head hunting today is more dangerous than ever, and also easier than ever. It is a much more serious issue now than in Stevens' day.

Besides, most of us hated Lindros anyway. =)

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
X8oD

Scott Stevens was around 6'2" 210 lbs. He was singular in his hitting style. You could say he "started" the trend. And even then, only 1-2 of his hits people called out as being targeted to the head.

How ever, all his hits weren't only directed at the head. He used his entire body. When he hit, his entire body hit his target.

This day and Age, players are 6'4" 230 lbs with Plastic shoulder pads. And 75% of the hitters in this league refuse to put their body on the line to make a hit. They target with their shoulder, catch as little of the opposing player as possible.

This was not taught "back in the day." This is a new trend. Old school hitting separated players from the puck. New school hitting involves catching parts of players with out breaking stride, attempting to lay out the most impact/pain with out taking any of your own. Separation from the puck is an afterthought.

you can count on your hand how many hits are made on a guy with the puck. But you you will need every finger and toe to count how many hits are made on guys who have already gotten rid of the puck. [not saying they are dirty. but what purpose does it do? The play was already made. Its like Old School Backyard football. You have 2 seconds after the QB throws the ball to tackle the guy. So you see the QB throw it, and you yell out "1, 2.. Oh i was on time i hit you" when you didnt need to]

when was the last time you saw a good hip check? How about the last time you saw a player skate at full speed and clip a guy with his shoulder?

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
TOML

Pretty sure Flyers and Ducks fans made a fuss about their star players being KO'd.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:04 PM
noobman

Stevens didn't blindside players. In the case of a Stevens hit, you were getting filled in b/c your head was down or you were mesmerized by your own pass.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Double standard:

Scott Stevens was one of the most respected players in the league. Hate him or not, he was respected. He earned it through years and years of backing up his actions. He is a hall-of-famer.

Matt Cooke is one of the least respected players in the league. He brings nothing to the game but turtling and acting like a cowardly punk. He is a joke.
Exactly my point. Why is Stevens lauded as a hero when he delivered far more head-shots than any of these guys? I'll tell you why. Because it was everyone's opinion at the time that there were nothing wrong with his hits. I gurantee you that if he was playing right now he would be put in the same category as a Matt Cooke.

Old
Crossovert*

Incidental head contact is a by product of clean hits sometimes, Cooke got all head it appeared, big difference, continue to whine

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Stevens didn't blindside players. In the case of a Stevens hit, you were getting filled in b/c your head was down or you were mesmerized by your own pass.
Bingo

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
Huh? Have you ever seen the the hit on Kariya? It was exactly the same as Booth's and Savard's, and the puck was probably gone even longer.
Wrong, Cooke's hit was a blatant head shot.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
Scott Stevens was around 6'2" 210 lbs. He was singular in his hitting style. You could say he "started" the trend. And even then, only 1-2 of his hits people called out as being targeted to the head.

How ever, all his hits weren't only directed at the head. He used his entire body. When he hit, his entire body hit his target.

This day and Age, players are 6'4" 230 lbs with Plastic shoulder pads. And 75% of the hitters in this league refuse to put their body on the line to make a hit. They target with their shoulder, catch as little of the opposing player as possible.

This was not taught "back in the day." This is a new trend. Old school hitting separated players from the puck. New school hitting involves catching parts of players with out breaking stride, attempting to lay out the most impact/pain with out taking any of your own. Separation from the puck is an afterthought.

you can count on your hand how many hits are made on a guy with the puck. But you you will need every finger and toe to count how many hits are made on guys who have already gotten rid of the puck. [not saying they are dirty. but what purpose does it do? The play was already made. Its like Old School Backyard football. You have 2 seconds after the QB throws the ball to tackle the guy. So you see the QB throw it, and you yell out "1, 2.. Oh i was on time i hit you" when you didnt need to]

when was the last time you saw a good hip check? How about the last time you saw a player skate at full speed and clip a guy with his shoulder?
That is very true.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
I agree that it was definitely a late hit, but look at the direction Kariya is moving when he gets hit. He's moving right and looking left after his pass. Stevens hit him pretty much face front.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Weren't they hits coming from the side?

Same with neil's hit on drury. From the side. Stevens did this too. Yet people complained when neil did it. When stevens did it it was a thing of beauty right? lol I kind of agree with OP
Exactly right my friend. Everyone can try and come on here and BS me by saying that Stevens hits weren't from the side, but they were. Hitting a guy when they were admiring a pass is exactly what is now considered to be a "vulernable position", and that is exactly what Stevens looked to do.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
BruinsBtn

I agree with the OP.

In any era, this is one of the cheapest hits. Kariya takes four strides after the pass. Stevens shouldn't have been playing in Game 7, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4PFadsx6s

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Stevens knew what he was doing to people. He knew how devastating his hits were. If one player is engaged with another and you go in for the hit, that's cheap. That's what Stevens did a lot of.

Ironically, despite being a bit late, the hit on Kariya is one of his better ones.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Nicklas Lidstrom

Stevens' hits were game changers and series changers. Cooke's hit was a blatant attempt to injure, nothing more.

Last edited by Nicklas Lidstrom: 03-16-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

For those who haven't seen it...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheSituation

I'll admit Scott Stevens had some dirty hits, but he never headhunted or went knee to knee like Cooke does.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
TOML

Quote:
Exactly my point. Why is Stevens lauded as a hero when he delivered far more head-shots than any of these guys? I'll tell you why. Because it was everyone's opinion at the time that there were nothing wrong with his hits. I gurantee you that if he was playing right now he would be put in the same category as a Matt Cooke.
I don't think it's the dirty hitting. It's the fact that Matt Cooke has a long history of being a gutless little puke. While Stevens does not.

But moving on to other dirty plays this season, notice that people (other than Panthers fans) weren't really flying off the handle about Richards' hit on Booth? That's because Richards is far more respected than Cooke.

Same with Ovechkin's hit on Campbell. A lot of people didn't even think he should've even gotten a penalty.

It's all about respect.

Old
03-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
We have, but from the sound of it, you haven't. It's not from the side at all.

Do you have any examples to back up your OP? The Kariya incident was not from the side.

Well do you? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsButton View Post
I agree with the OP.
Kariya takes four strides after the pass.
You need to head back to school. He passed off on his backhand, and then took a stride and a half - two tops - before he was nailed.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote