Notices

Draft Philosophy Going Forward

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2010, 12:45 PM
gulfcoastdawg

vCash: 500
Draft Philosophy Going Forward

Dudley by all accounts is a good evaluator of talent. Arguably our 2009 draft may have procured more legit NHL prospects than any of our drafts in previous years.
With that in mind what should our philosophy be going into the next 2-3 years
recognizing that we may be in the top half of the draft during that time frame.

Chicago for the last 5 years or so has gone with size, speed, character with offensive upside. Obviously they chose Kane first overall a few years back so BPA unless there is an above styled prospect there for them.

Would we be reluctant go with a Russian kid in round one this year? If we follow the
Hawks strategy what about a draft landing Niedereitter and Etem?

Old
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
AintLifeGrand

Unless they have the dangling ability of a Kane or Datsyuk, I'd like to see alot of solid 2 way players with offensive upside. I want us to go after guys that could become comparable to a Ryan Kesler, Johnathan Toews, Dustin Byfuglien, Mike Richards, Scott Hartnell.

Skill, well roundededness, size

Old
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Unless they have the dangling ability of a Kane or Datsyuk, I'd like to see alot of solid 2 way players with offensive upside. I want us to go after guys that could become comparable to a Ryan Kesler, Johnathan Toews, Dustin Byfuglien, Mike Richards, Scott Hartnell.

Skill, well roundededness, size
this. we have some solid goal scorer types already in the system and our fair share of defensive prospects. now let's load up on the guys like armstrong, kesler, etc. guys that will play physical and beat the crap out of you and still have the offensive skill to play on the top line if need be.

Old
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Our philospohy is draft Nino.

He is all we need. NHL ready, Rick Nash like, big body goal scorer.

Old
03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
Our philospohy is draft Nino.

He is all we need. NHL ready, Rick Nash like, big body goal scorer.

Old
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
FrenchKheldar

I think drafting a high-profile American forward, everything else being equal, would do wonder to the team's marketing... Just saying. After coming back from Vancouver last month, my gf, who had a blast cheering for the US against Switzerland (wearing a Chelios jersey from her brother... fail ), was like: so no Olympic American players on the Thrashers right? I could have cheered for them !

Hopefully Bogosian will be up there soon, but still, we can do better than Reasoner and Slater up front.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Boognish

Best available in the top 2-3 rounds, then try to fill a deficiency in the Lotto rounds.

Anything else is just lip service.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Ashe

We trade one of our two first rounders to chicago, And get versteeg.

We avoid Nino Needersuck as he isnt "NHL readY". If we can get an RFA or Sharp that was proposed for a first for two years. Why wouldnt you do it? Does everyone want to draft every year? We got two first round picks, You get rid of one to a team that needs to shed salary or players that are available. and Make us better NOW. not 3-4 years down the road with how well we did the last two drafts.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

You would not want a Rick Nash like player? You're. Crazy. Dude.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:18 PM
gulfcoastdawg

Build Through The Draft

I would not trade a potential lottery pick for a second line forward. When you factor
in the probable loss of Army, Max and Kubina over the summer, that kind of trade will not really help. We are more than a couple of players away from real contention so trading high picks is not a long term solution.

While I hate to think about we need to view this as a building process starting with
Bogo, Kane, Morin, etc. Kulda and Machacek probably work in next year. I really doubt we land any FAs although that kind of talk always comes up.

Unfortunately DW or any successor is essentially working on a 2nd phase of starting over. A draft landing Nino and a kid like Etem could be the equivalent of Anaheim
drafting Getzlaf and Perry a few years back. A couple of forwards with size who play with skill, edge and have goal scoring ability.

One of DW's and ownerships greatest faults has been overestimating the talent level of the squads and notnhaving the right players for their system.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with drafting a guy like Rick Nash. Big, strong guy capable of 40 goals and not too shabby defensively. I kind of see him as a poor man's Hossa. Not a world beater, but a stellar piece to have on the team. That said, I don't see Niederreiter ending up anywhere near Nash's level. I'd personally rather pick Emerson Etem.

Old
03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Enstrom39

I like Nino from what I saw at WJC.

Old
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastdawg View Post
Would we be reluctant go with a Russian kid in round one this year? If we follow the
Hawks strategy what about a draft landing Niedereitter and Etem?
Whats awesome about this bit, is that its actually possible. Etem dropped to mid 20s in the latest ISS rankings I've seen and Nino is hovering right around 15 (iirc). I'd love to get the pair of them.

Here's the thread on Etem, for those of you who don't know who he is.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=695739&page=2
Reading it, he sounds like he would work well with Kane. Let Kane do the dirty work and have Etem get to into position and do his thing.

Closed Thread