HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Old
07-17-2013, 04:02 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

vCash: 500
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Evangelion has been my first foray in to Japanime in about 10 years. I used to be big in to it, but lost interest when I was about 19 or so.

I dl'ed the series today and just finished watching the second episode. I'm really liking it so far, I find the story and characters really interesting. And for the show being made in 1995, the animation is really good.

And while I haven't watched it (Pacific Rim) yet, I can see how people are drawing comparisons to it and NGE.

Edit: I want to add that the show does a great job of world building.

Last edited by RobBrown4PM: 07-17-2013 at 04:16 PM.
RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Richie10

NGE was the first anime I truly loved and appreciated on an adult level.

Anno is a pretty polarizing figure in anime these days, but there's no doubt he created a lightning rod of a series with some pretty in-depth characterizations and a pretty unique approach to the genre.

The one scene that sums up Evangelion perfectly for me is in one of the first few episodes in which Shinji enters Rei's apartment, there's this awkward clumsiness, and they end up on the ground with Rei naked. With all that's revealed later on in the show about who Rei is and what she represents, there's something so WRONG about that scene rewatching it.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

I had no idea anymore what the hell was going in the last few episodes.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I finally ended up finishing the series, including 'The End of Evangelion'.

Great series! And I can see how much of himself Anno put in to the show, litterally. He basically piled his mental health issues in to the characters and the world and built an amazing show out of it all.

The last two episodes of NGE were a mind**** and while they added a ton of depth to the characters, specifically Shinji, it was a bit of a cop out on Anno's part and the studio's. All I can say is that I'm glad they finalized everything in TEoE.

Old
02-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Everlasting

I havent actully seen it :/

Everlasting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Unholy
waifu

Actually started it myself this week finally. Been on the backlog for yeah, years and yearssss. Good so far.

02-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Asuka was the most annoying character I've ever seen in an anime, but the series as a whole was epic.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Now watch the movies. Only 3 of the 4 are out now, though. Anno telling the story from a more sane perspective is easier to follow and has about the same impact...

He wanted to retell the story for a new generation and give it a real ending.

Though Asuka getting her psyche destroyed to the theme of Handel's Messiah was probably the hardest episode of anime I've ever watched.

Have some trailers!

Basically a retelling of the first four episodes of the original.

First major changes to the story, basically summarizes the rest of the series with changes included.

Completely new direction for the story.

Trailer for 4.0 at the end of 3.33, but like the trailer at the end of 2.22, none of it may end up in the final version. lol

And yes, the internet is full of theories trying to link the series to the new movies, largely because of what Kaworu says. "Come now, the promised time has come Shinji Ikari. This time I'll make you happy no matter what."

Last edited by kingsholygrail: 02-09-2014 at 06:28 PM.
kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 06:26 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost in the Shell View Post
Asuka was the most annoying character I've ever seen in an anime, but the series as a whole was epic.
I loved Asuka. Her character is up with Shinji's for being the most messed up character in TV history.

And in response to the poster who posted about Asuka getting her psyche destroyed........yeah that was brutal and heart breaking, and thats putting it lightly.

And then in TEoE when Shinji is .................. Over a comotose Asuka, that was wrong on so many levels, wow. At first I didn't believe it, and then I was like he didn't just do that......did he. For frak sakes.

Old
02-09-2014, 06:49 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
I loved Asuka. Her character is up with Shinji's for being the most messed up character in TV history.

And in response to the poster who posted about Asuka getting her psyche destroyed........yeah that was brutal and heart breaking, and thats putting it lightly.

And then in TEoE when Shinji is .................. Over a comotose Asuka, that was wrong on so many levels, wow. At first I didn't believe it, and then I was like he didn't just do that......did he. For frak sakes.
That scene was so awkward.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 350
I love that series to death. I can definitely understand the complaints that are levied against it, such as Shinji being a whiner and a creeper at times, overly pretentious at points, and it going completely bonkers (not necessarily in a good way), but just all around it's a very memorable, very enjoyable experience for me.

Still haven't seen 3.33, but I've been enjoying the retelling greatly, too.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 08:10 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. Some concepts were interesting, but I just couldn't like it. I'm more of a Slayers, El Hazard, and Trigun guy.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
Shareefruck

I think it's an interesting effort and I like a lot about it, but I don't know if I think it's amazing or anything.

The original series is much stronger than the rebuilds, which was much more fan-servicey and style over substance, IMO

I think Animes are a great venue for creativity but I hate how most of them, even a lot of the good ones, are bogged down by at least some creepy Anime tropes

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:21 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I love that series to death. I can definitely understand the complaints that are levied against it, such as Shinji being a whiner and a creeper at times, overly pretentious at points, and it going completely bonkers (not necessarily in a good way), but just all around it's a very memorable, very enjoyable experience for me.

Still haven't seen 3.33, but I've been enjoying the retelling greatly, too.
With the series, he actually had a goal of basically making the characters unlikeable and deeply flawed. For Shinji, he doesn't like human contact at all. It hurts him, but he sometimes craves it, so he's all weird about it.

Misato, while being 29, keeps everyone at a distance and never forges deep relationships with anyone because it triggers a flight response for her. She's like a big kid. Rei is aware that there are more copies of her so she has little or no value in her own life which leaves her with a sense of emptiness.

Be prepared to be a bit confused with 3.33, but give it a chance, particularly since there's one more to go which I hope wraps everything up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think it's an interesting effort and I like a lot about it, but I don't know if I think it's amazing or anything.

The original series is much stronger than the rebuilds, which was much more fan-servicey and style over substance, IMO

I think Animes are a great venue for creativity but I hate how most of them, even a lot of the good ones, are bogged down by at least some creepy Anime tropes
The rebuild is a lot more compressed than the series and yes Mari was added purely for fan service. Anno even admits that, though that character oddly enough is pretty interesting at least in regards to her loyalties which remain a mystery. Character is going to suffer a bit with a film format. The benefit is the story should be clearer, particularly with how muddied the ending to the series ended up getting, what with two versions of how it ends and both being "official."

Old
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
blue425

I own the entire series on DVD but only watched it in its entirety once years ago. I remember it being pretty damn good. Although I can really remember bits and pieces right now:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Shinji riding the subway while listening to his walkman
Blacking out the city to power the rifle
Pen pen

Maybe it is time to watch it again.

What is the deal with the movies?

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
With the series, he actually had a goal of basically making the characters unlikeable and deeply flawed. For Shinji, he doesn't like human contact at all. It hurts him, but he sometimes craves it, so he's all weird about it.

Misato, while being 29, keeps everyone at a distance and never forges deep relationships with anyone because it triggers a flight response for her. She's like a big kid. Rei is aware that there are more copies of her so she has little or no value in her own life which leaves her with a sense of emptiness.

Be prepared to be a bit confused with 3.33, but give it a chance, particularly since there's one more to go which I hope wraps everything up nicely.

The rebuild is a lot more compressed than the series and yes Mari was added purely for fan service. Anno even admits that, though that character oddly enough is pretty interesting at least in regards to her loyalties which remain a mystery. Character is going to suffer a bit with a film format. The benefit is the story should be clearer, particularly with how muddied the ending to the series ended up getting, what with two versions of how it ends and both being "official."
I kind of felt like that understated, mysterious and disturbing dread was the original's greatest strength, and is lost in the rebuilds.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-10-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old
02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I had no idea anymore what the hell was going in the last few episodes.
Nobody did. That's why they shot a movie to explain and then another one. Still no one was satisfied. The ending is the only crappy part of that show.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:55 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
I own the entire series on DVD but only watched it in its entirety once years ago. I remember it being pretty damn good. Although I can really remember bits and pieces right now:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Shinji riding the subway while listening to his walkman
Blacking out the city to power the rifle
Pen pen

Maybe it is time to watch it again.

What is the deal with the movies?
The first movie is a summary of the first four episodes. The second starts the first changes he makes to the overall story, but still largely follows the script of the remainder of the series. The third kicks off where Anno wants to give a brand new ending to the overall story. The new material starts there, for the most part.

Quote:
I kind of felt like that understated, mysterious and disturbing dread was the original's greatest strength, and is lost in the rebuilds.

I hate what they did with the characters in the rebuild, particularly after the latter ones
Which ones? The Rebuild isn't finished and by and large the characters are still the same in behavior. If you're talking about 3.33, there's a gap that they haven't fully explained, but I think 4.44 will fix that.

Old
02-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
The first movie is a summary of the first four episodes. The second starts the first changes he makes to the overall story, but still largely follows the script of the remainder of the series. The third kicks off where Anno wants to give a brand new ending to the overall story. The new material starts there, for the most part.

Which ones? The Rebuild isn't finished and by and large the characters are still the same in behavior. If you're talking about 3.33, there's a gap that they haven't fully explained, but I think 4.44 will fix that.
Mostly the second one.... Particularly Misato, Asuka, and the older lady (don't remember her name... Ritsuko?), the films only focused on their more superficial traits, and the complexities that made them interesting were usually whittled down into a single scene that was at best a vague nod/reference to them rather than anything substantial (like Asuka's doll scene for instance). I understand there are time constraints, and I'm not saying they were bad movies, but for whatever valid reason these ones were held back for, I felt the original series were far less compromised and far more (psychologically/emotionally) effective overall. I would definitely not recommend someone new to the series try the Rebuilds in lieu of the series. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Other than replacing the final two episodes with End of Evangelion, I don't feel anything about it needed to be cleared up or polished. There were also moments in the rebuild where I felt they took something cool, mysterious, and ambiguous from the series and held your hand through it too much (particularly how much of the more bizarre behind the scenes elements they blew right away in the first movie). I missed the restraint.

And for the record, I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard similar things

Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-11-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old
02-11-2014, 03:11 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
While I had a limited rental selection growing up (Slayers, Lodoss War, and an unfished OVA series that's currently being remade into a manga by the FMA guys called Heroic legend of Arslan) I believe this was my first anime series I watched on my PC, was before I had high speed internet but downloaded it off somone at a LAN party in 2000.

I was enthralled with it most of the way through, then it got a bit depressing near the end, and finally the original 'ending' just pissed me right off. I signed on to watch giant robots fight giant monsters, and greatly appreciated the added depth the series through at you, but I didn't sign up to see some artsy bit where the author battled his inner childhood demons through his fictional character, or whatever the heck that was supposed to be.

I did see the proper ending movies a few years later when they came out, but by that time there was too much separation. Like at the time I recall watching a NGE copycat called RahXephon or something like that, nowhere near as memorable or original but I ended up liking it better just because it was coherent from start to finish. I'd probably have a higher opinion of NGE if I had the knowledge and the option to watch End of Evangelion instead of the final two TV season episodes.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 05:29 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Mostly the second one.... Particularly Misato, Asuka, and the older lady (don't remember her name... Ritsuko?), the films only focused on their more superficial traits, and the complexities that made them interesting were usually whittled down into a single scene that was at best a vague nod/reference to them rather than anything substantial (like Asuka's doll scene for instance). I understand there are time constraints, and I'm not saying they were bad movies, but for whatever valid reason these ones were held back for, I felt the original series were far less compromised and far more (psychologically/emotionally) effective overall. I would definitely not recommend someone new to the series try the Rebuilds in lieu of the series. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Other than replacing the final two episodes with End of Evangelion, I don't feel anything about it needed to be cleared up or polished. There were also moments in the rebuild where I felt they took something cool, mysterious, and ambiguous from the series and held your hand through it too much (particularly how much of the more bizarre behind the scenes elements they blew right away in the first movie). I missed the restraint.

And for the record, I haven't seen the third one yet, but I've heard similar things
They get more into the bizarre stuff in the third movie like what exactly makes up an Eva. You finally get Kowaru as well. You might as well see it since you've come this far. lol But yeah, they had to sacrifice character development for the films. They dedicated entire episodes to single characters. It really won't happen in 90 minutes of film time. People should see both.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Nobody did. That's why they shot a movie to explain and then another one. Still no one was satisfied. The ending is the only crappy part of that show.
Pretty much this.

Still fantastic series.

Have yet to watch the new stuff.

I once had an Eva unit 1 key chain. When I lost my keys I was more upset I lost the keychain than I did the keys.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hopefully they finally just come out and say "it's a sequel" in 4.0. Been dancing around it for three movies.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 04:54 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Hopefully they finally just come out and say "it's a sequel" in 4.0. Been dancing around it for three movies.
But it's not a sequel.

I'll have to pick a day to rewatch some stuff to reverify, but I'm pretty sure Shinji more or less chose to let humanity end rather than putting it back to the way it was which would make a sequel pretty odd.

I know the speculation revolves entirely around dialog from Kowaru at the end of 2.22 after the credits, but that's more than likely one of those things that doesn't translate well even if the subs are accurate. He could also be referring to Shinji's past, but not necessarily the series. He certainly doesn't explain himself in 3.33.

Last edited by kingsholygrail: 02-12-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
But it's not a sequel.

I'll have to pick a day to rewatch some stuff to reverify, but I'm pretty sure Shinji more or less chose to let humanity end rather than putting it back to the way it was which would make a sequel pretty odd.

I know the speculation revolves entirely around dialog from Kowaru at the end of 2.22 after the credits, but that's more than likely one of those things that doesn't translate well even if the subs are accurate. He could also be referring to Shinji's past, but not necessarily the series. He certainly doesn't explain himself in 3.33.
The speculation revolves around blatant visual references to EoE.

But that could just be Anno trolling.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote