HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Jay Feaster just dismissed the Capitals in the playoffs because of goaltending. He likes NJ.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:31 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Jay Feaster just dismissed the Capitals in the playoffs because of goaltending. He likes NJ.
Perhaps we should have picked up Vokoun when we had the chance.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Alot of people love NJ. I don't see it personally.

All I have seen, since the departure of Stevens and Daneyko, have been epic playoff failures (much due to the average performance of Broduer) by the Devils.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Brian Pothier wants the Caps to face the Bruins in the first round. Well he didn't actually say this, but his performance in last night's game against the Bruins sure did. Attempted to make a clear from behind the Canes net straight up the middle of the ice only to have it intercepted by a Bruin before it even left the defensive end, and that Bruin basically had an unmolested direct line to the Canes goal. On another goal he just stood and watched as Bruin went around him and scored. Perhaps Canes fans enthusiasm for this portion of the trade is beginning to dim.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Alot of people love NJ. I don't see it personally.

All I have seen, since the departure of Stevens and Daneyko, have been epic playoff failures (much due to the average performance of Broduer) by the Devils.
They love the idea of NJ. They love the early season, playing over their head with a hot Broduer NJ. But that NJ is a phantom. The real NJ can't score and Broduer is old and subject to losing his hall of fame edge to some extent.

They have been pretty average for the last half of the season to this point.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
He's living in the past. NJ could come out of the East, but it's a crapshoot.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:34 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Funny how there are some rumblings initially that there would be no suspension and then proported lobbying by Chi Town for a suspension, heh. Total conjecture but for some reason I feel there is some truth in there.
Because you, much like Alan May, are a total conspiracy theorist...

Old
03-17-2010, 01:36 PM
txpd

I just posted the Jay Feaster comment to add another name to the long list of current hockey media that dismiss the Capitals as window dressing. In December when Tampa Bay got hot Feaster said that the Caps need to wake up or they are going to get passed by the Lightning.

Looking at that now is just funny.

BTW...Colin Campbell just said that if Campbell doesn't get hurt Ovechkin doesn't get suspended. Interesting

Old
03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
I just posted the Jay Feaster comment to add another name to the long list of current hockey media that dismiss the Capitals as window dressing. In December when Tampa Bay got hot Feaster said that the Caps need to wake up or they are going to get passed by the Lightning.

BTW...Colin Campbell just said that if Campbell doesn't get hurt Ovechkin doesn't get suspended. Interesting
So Richards kept playing why…?

Anyways back to the Devils… You know they aren't even that good on paper. Sure they got Kovy, but seriously haven't heard anything from him. They're still depending on Marty and most could agree on that he's hitting the point of not being able to pull off a full season of starting and playoffs.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
pgreene

Quote:

again, matthias should get two games for injuring boyd gordon with his illegal play.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
LetsGoBears

Also forgot to add, Theo is 16-0-2 now I believe. Um, it may not be shut outs every other game, but the team is winning games. A lot of games.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Did he make that comment while announcing the suspension of Shawn Matthias.

Oh wait, he's a stand up guy so since it involves his son's team I suppose he would have to recuse himself from any discipline procedures involving the Panthers.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
txpd

15-0-2. I will say this. It will be awfully hard to pass over a goalie that has what amounts to an undefeated record. Who knows how long that lasts, but....

Old
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Devil Dancer

Barring multiple meltdowns, Theo is the man for the playoffs this year.

EDIT: You know, I just said that but I'm not sure I believe it. Considering what happened last year, and the fact that Bruce has given Varly every chance to succeed this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Theo ends up on the bench again. I think all we know is that Neuvirth is not the guy this year.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

It's the same thing it was last year. Theo goes in the starter, but if he falters, they will pull him. If Varly then stands on his head, it's Varly's till he falters.

It's not like Bruce went into the playoffs last year with any intention of Varly being the man.

03-17-2010, 02:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
15-0-2. I will say this. It will be awfully hard to pass over a goalie that has what amounts to an undefeated record. Who knows how long that lasts, but....
Lets not fool ourselves with that zero in there. He lost twice. In my books, he is 15-2. There is no point given away when the games count. Regulation ties are meaningless on a goalies record since it is never the end of the game. I hate the modern day points giveaway and deceiving records.

If we break our teams season points record, it should have an * next to it.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:26 PM
txpd

Here is the reality as I read it. What Theodore does is of little consequence. IF Varly lays down two solid(not brilliant)performances back to back(assuming wins in those games), he is the playoff starter. It doesnt matter what Theodore does.

That said, I would think Varly would be subject to the same quick hook that Theodore got last season.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Lets not fool ourselves with that zero in there. He lost twice. In my books, he is 15-2. There is no point given away when the games count. Regulation ties are meaningless on a goalies record since it is never the end of the game. I hate the modern day points giveaway and deceiving records.

ok...15-2. one OT and one shootout....no shootouts in the playoffs.

last time i checked 15-2 is outragious.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:

You know when our team's season points record is from right?

Old
03-17-2010, 02:37 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
ok...15-2. one OT and one shootout....no shootouts in the playoffs.

last time i checked 15-2 is outragious.
Of course it is. But it's a team game. That's also the teams record when Theo started. Theo is the man until someone proves otherwise. But lets not put him on a pedestal when our team our team has been absolutely kicking ass behind Ovi C. That is the story, not Theo.

How many games in the 17 did he win for us? Steal. Any? Sure thats not his forte. Just curious how many games HE won for us, not the team for him.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

From the Caps twitter...

Quote:
When Ovi was named captain, Caps trailed by 5 points in the East. Since then they have gone 23-3-3 and built a 16-point lead.
That's insane.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:52 PM
sk84fun_dc

IMO, Kovalchuk getting adjusted and Clarkson's return to the line-up are starting to show in the Devils team play and the outcomes on the scoreboard. I think the games since the break have shown that the Devils can contend, but I don't see anything that says they should be favored over other contenders, just that they are and should be in the conversation.

There are a lot of "ifs" with the NJD:

- if Paul Martin returns soon as expected and stays healthy...they will be adding a very good dman that will help their transition game and provide a steadying influence on the blueline; also, his return will push the ice time down and lower the responsibilities for other dmen playing above where they should be; a sidebar on Martin's return is that they do have a few key players that won't have played an entire season, which could benefit them during the playoffs.

- if Brodeur can maintain a high level of play during the playoffs; he has done it before, he has also had some rough patches

- if they don't have a lot of injuries, although the Devils do have some more depth in terms of forward prospects playing in Lowell or being scratched right now than they have in the past few years

Old
03-17-2010, 02:56 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Of course it is. But it's a team game. That's also the teams record when Theo started. Theo is the man until someone proves otherwise. But lets not put him on a pedestal when our team our team has been absolutely kicking ass behind Ovi C. That is the story, not Theo.

How many games in the 17 did he win for us? Steal. Any? Sure thats not his forte. Just curious how many games HE won for us, not the team for him.
For reference:

Varlamov is 1-2-1 in that span
Neuvirth is 4-0-0 in that span (though he was replaced in one game while the Caps were losing 4-1, which Theodore then won in a shootout)

Old
03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
txpd

how many games in that run of games did Theodore steal? Outright steal there were 3. 3 games where the opposition was at 40+ shots on goal. You can add the shutout for 4.
Thats about 1 in every 4 games.

1. 15 shots and no goals in the final 30 minutes of regulation and OT vs Florida after replacing Neuvirth. Then won the shootout.

2. Caps 3 Detroit 2. Wings out shot the Caps 15-3 in a scoreless first period and Theodore made 44 saves in the win.

3. Caps 6 Penguins 3. 35 saves. Caps score 3 in the 3rd to win.

4. Caps 4 Boston 1. 42 saves Caps are outshot 43-25 and score 3 in the 3rd to win.

Do you want more?

Last edited by txpd: 03-17-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Carlson is already tied for the +/- lead in terms of Rookie defensemen (Franson - 49 games, Wilson - 53 games, Gunnarsson - 31 games)...all with +11. They are all second overall to T.J. Galiardi's +13.

Carlson has played in 14 games.

Yeah, its a team stat and all...but wow.

Closed Thread