HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 VI

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Well just my low end opinion I ran with no visor for a few years playing adult league hockey but it took a nasty collision and a trip to the emergency room to change my mind about that. That being said going open face is awesome.
Very true. Even a half visor gets fogged up, scratched up, distorts vision and is uncomfortable.

That being said for my rec league I will finally be going full time with a visor myself this upcoming season. I suspect Poti will too.

Old
05-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Not exactly Caps news, but Oscar Osala continues his season in WC games as he was chosen to team Finland as the only player from AHL.

I still think that Corvo trade is one of the worst trades of McPhee. It didn't help Caps at all (IMO Pothier would have been atleast as good as Corvo, even better) and we gave up too much for Corvo.

Old
05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
Not exactly Caps news, but Oscar Osala continues his season in WC games as he was chosen to team Finland as the only player from AHL.

I still think that Corvo trade is one of the worst trades of McPhee. It didn't help Caps at all (IMO Pothier would have been atleast as good as Corvo, even better) and we gave up too much for Corvo.
In hindsight I'm sure McPhee would have taken the Sutton for a 2nd instead.

I mean even if he was "holding out" for Kaberle that makes it worse because trading for Kaberle would have been worse than trading for Corvo.

In a way at least it didn't turn out as bad as it could have...we could have lost our 1st, Alzer and Flash if the reports were true. Not to mention adding salary for next year without addressing any true needs.

Lets all take a moment to thank Tomas Kaberle for not waiving his NTC.

Old
05-03-2010, 08:32 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In hindsight I'm sure McPhee would have taken the Sutton for a 2nd instead.
Who's to say he didn't offer that 2nd rounder...just that the Ottawa second (which was actually the SJ 2nd) had more value at the time.

Meh.

Old
05-03-2010, 08:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who's to say he didn't offer that 2nd rounder...just that the Ottawa second (which was actually the SJ 2nd) had more value at the time.

Meh.
Good point and that maybe true. But that is only a slight difference and I'm sure we could have added something small to sweeten the post (like an additionaly mid level pick or something).

Old
05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Green speaks:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...uple.html#more

Old
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Q: Tough decision not to play in worlds?
A: Yeah, it is. I would have loved to go. But I did have an injury and George [McPhee] felt that I shouldn't go.
So it wasn't because of the Olympic slight or anything else. GMGM's decision, it appears.

Old
05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Well just my low end opinion I ran with no visor for a few years playing adult league hockey but it took a nasty collision and a trip to the emergency room to change my mind about that. That being said going open face is awesome.
I love skating around after games with no helmet. It just feels so different. But yeah I still roll with a heatley visor cause I have a life... a little one... but one still!

Old
05-03-2010, 02:55 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post

Q: Have you replayed the series in your mind?
A: I've actually watched some of the games. It's funny, there's all of this talk about, "Is it our system?' The whole season, the question is whether we [could] be a defensive team. Then we get in the playoffs, and it's now it's about, 'Can we score goals?' when we scored the most goals in the league. Unfortunately, we ran into a really hot goaltender at the wrong time. The thing with us is we relied on our power play so much, being 25 percent for two, two and a half years. Things didn't work out. We needed to adjust as players and as a unit and we didn't adjust. Look at [Alexander] Semin. He had so many opportunities in the slot that that kid scores nine out of 10 times. And the pucks weren't going in. And I felt like the adjustments they made to take away our guys really affected us. But as a player, I take full responsibility for my role. Not scoring, not producing is something I need to do. And I didn't. So I take full responsibility.

Good on Green. And he is right on the money.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
txpd

i think we know that yzerman telling him he wasnt wanted made an impression. we also know that we can whoop whoop whoop that guy out of town at any point. he hears it.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:07 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think we know that yzerman telling him he wasnt wanted made an impression. we also know that we can whoop whoop whoop that guy out of town at any point. he hears it.
I didnt hear the fans getting on HIS case specifically in game 5. But I'd imagine it was a result of him flubbing the chance on a PP that led to Markov's post at the other end.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I only can recall two prime shots from Semin in the slot on the PP. Both in the later games.

And Green talking about wanting to break things... now he knows what I feel like when I watch them play at times. Thankfully during the season it was quickly removed by some sick play.

Old
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
"There's no chance that it would happen," Caps GM George McPhee told ESPN.com on Saturday. "We have a great relationship, he's a good coach and he's the right guy for this team."
GMGM on Boudreau. Your relationship with a coach should not factor in the decision making process...and is he the right guy for the team...

Old
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
BobRouse

Feaster's blog:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Capitals.html

Old
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
GMGM on Boudreau. Your relationship with a coach should not factor in the decision making process...and is he the right guy for the team...
Absolutely yes it should. You have to be able to work with the guy.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Personalities and getting along are of the utmost importance to any good manager. It's called building chemistry. It shouldn't be the sole factor, but it has to weigh in fairly significantly.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
txpd

Muckler-Nolan. Bad relationship. Fired coach.
Poile-Trotz. Good relationship. Long time coach.

I don't know a gm that has a coach that he hates his guts and keeps him any lenth of time.

Lawton-Tocchet. Lawton fires a coach off Tocchet's staff without telling him. Tocchet refuses to use the hired replacement. They both get fired.

Old
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Nobody picked up on this? GMGM for GM of the year.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...ed-for-gm.html

McPhee/Poile/Maloney "nominated"

Old
05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post

One thing that's getting lost in all this talk about GMGM's relationship with BB is GMGM's relationship with Ted. He's the only GM Ted's ever had, I believe.

05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Halak No Cry View Post
One thing that's getting lost in all this talk about GMGM's relationship with BB is GMGM's relationship with Ted. He's the only GM Ted's ever had, I believe.
Yep he came with the team. Crazy tenure for his limited success.

Old
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Yep he came with the team. Crazy tenure for his limited success.
not really when you consider that leonsis forced the jagr deal against mcphee's advice and chose cassidy as coach when mcphee and patrick supported other candidates.

when you subtract the jagr years, its not that long. the sell off and rebuild have been done pretty quickly particularly if you look at the time it took the penguins to go from sell off to playoffs and compare it to the caps sell off to playoffs. then add in the crosby lottery hijack.

Old
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Hah!
Quote:
I was walking around the Verizon Center with Dick Patrick today and I asked one of the senior executives at the building about the Mystics attendance banners. And after some discussion we decided to take them down.

The only banners we should display revolve around winning a division or conference or league championship.

Old
05-07-2010, 03:00 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Hah!

Quote:
I was walking around the Verizon Center with Dick Patrick today and I asked one of the senior executives at the building about the Mystics attendance banners. And after some discussion we decided to take them down.

The only banners we should display revolve around winning a division or conference or league championship.
Yay President's Trophy banner!!!

Old
05-07-2010, 03:02 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

Wouldn't it be something if Green won the Norris and McPhee won the GM of the year????

It would almost be embarrassing for Caps fans to take in to be honest.

Old
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
init2winit

I might be late with this, but this is about the exact opposite of what I want the coach to be saying after that playoff effort :
Quote:
Well, back to Thursday night. Johnson asked Boudreau about the head coach shouldering the blame in such situations.

"It's not a question of shouldering the blame," he said. "I think we just lost. We faced a really good goaltender, and sports is about upsets. I don't think any of us anticipated us, and I don't want it to detract from the season that the players had." -D.C. Sports Bog

Closed Thread