HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Seen Samuelson's stats

Old
03-16-2010, 10:44 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

vCash: 500
Still doesnt make me like Samuelson. Sorry, can't do it.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
mikerooooose

let's not forget how insanely clutch he was for the wings...

I would curse him out every game for stupid mistakes, and then he would make it all up and then some with a big goal.

mikerooooose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
tgeezyband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Still doesnt make me like Samuelson. Sorry, can't do it.
That's what I'm saying, I hated it when we had on our pp, just seemed like he'd miss the net or shoot it into the chest all the time lol. But it's good to see him doing good though, I used to think at best he was a third line guy, but third line guys don't put up 53 pts in 60 games no matter who they play with, so he has proved me wrong for sure.

tgeezyband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:54 AM
icantthinkofaname*

I kinda saw this coming. Sammy was never going to get those kind of minutes here, in that same type of role here. Truth is you could put anyone on a top line or close enough and their points would skyrocket compared to other seasons, it doesn't mean we're automatically missing out on those 30 goals because for all we know, and this is likely, he would've gotten around 20 in Detroit. Those extra 2-3 minutes per game in Vancouver, with an increased role with more offense and less defense is showing in his numbers.

Points, out of context, would make him look like a top 6 guy but to me he wouldn't be here even after seeing his point outburst. The standards for our top 6 are a little too much for him.

icantthinkofaname* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Snauen*

Samuelsson has more goals in the NHL than any of the players from the Swedish OL-team wich he wasn't selected to. Samuelsson already owns a Olympic gold medal though. Samuelsson has more goals than any Wings player. Samuelsson is headed for the playoffs, the Wings maybe not. Samuelsson have won the Stanley Cup already. Samuelsson is a SEL-champion. Samuelsson is like the most 'winner' you can find playing hockey..

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:19 AM
SlavaKozlov

I honestly disagree that he couldn't have scored 30 goals this season with the Wings. With the injuries, there would have been a chance that Sammy could have played with Datsyuk, and then Datsyuk would have had somebody on his line that likes to shoot. If people want to try and argue that Sammy is only putting up good numbers because of the Sedins, I think he could have some the same with Datsyuk and Homer on his line. Dats passes, Sammy shoots, Homer tips the puck in or just screens the goalie.

Now, don't take this as me saying he would have been a lock for 30, because I realize that isn't true, but the Wings could definitely have used Sammy on the team this season. I like him, he is a big guy, can blast the puck and responsible defensively. I don't really know what more you could have asked from him during his Detroit days. But I also agree he got a bigger contract that the Wings should have given him, so I am glad he isn't making that money here...

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Samuelsson has more goals in the NHL than any of the players from the Swedish OL-team wich he wasn't selected to. Samuelsson already owns a Olympic gold medal though. Samuelsson has more goals than any Wings player. Samuelsson is headed for the playoffs, the Wings maybe not. Samuelsson have won the Stanley Cup already. Samuelsson is a SEL-champion. Samuelsson is like the most 'winner' you can find playing hockey..
With a unproffessional and diva attitude to go with it.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
nihlify

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Nuck fans don't seem to have a problem with his attitude. Pretty much the opposite from reading the forums.

nihlify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihlify View Post
Nuck fans don't seem to have a problem with his attitude. Pretty much the opposite from reading the forums.
Żea.. cause the fans matter.... not the locker room.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Nazzy-19

Sammy hurt his shoulder last night, could be out a while. I think most of us Canuck fans are scared of another Demitra episode.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post
I honestly disagree that he couldn't have scored 30 goals this season with the Wings. With the injuries, there would have been a chance that Sammy could have played with Datsyuk, and then Datsyuk would have had somebody on his line that likes to shoot. If people want to try and argue that Sammy is only putting up good numbers because of the Sedins, I think he could have some the same with Datsyuk and Homer on his line. Dats passes, Sammy shoots, Homer tips the puck in or just screens the goalie.

Now, don't take this as me saying he would have been a lock for 30, because I realize that isn't true, but the Wings could definitely have used Sammy on the team this season. I like him, he is a big guy, can blast the puck and responsible defensively. I don't really know what more you could have asked from him during his Detroit days. But I also agree he got a bigger contract that the Wings should have given him, so I am glad he isn't making that money here...
Yes, but we had four years of Sammy as a Wing scoring 23G, 14, 11, and 19G-- with mostly a full season of play except the 2nd yr. Some of that time was in the top six alongside Z. He's easily penciled in as a 20G guy. Holland wanted to keep him, but given Z's and Franzen's pay hikes, we ran out of cap room. Sammy wanted/deserved more money. That's fine. Who would have predicted that Hudler would go to the KHL and that half the team would be out with injuries? Had Sammy stayed, he'd be in the top six especially since Hudlum left, but really, what is the point of this discussion? Hudler is a superior scorer to Sammy, is younger, and can be a PP center. There simply wasn't enough cap room to keep both.

Or are you suggesting that they should have kept Sammy and let Filppula or Hudler go to make it happen?

Quote:

Sammy a diva attitude? Where did that come from? I was pretty hard on Sammy, but I never felt he was a diva.

Old
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Seriously, some of you red wings fans are such haters it's flat out ridicolous.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post

What exactly is ridiculous? You can't just make a broad statement like that without any effort into pointing out what exactly you're disagreeing with--- what's your objection?

Old
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
How so?

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
The guy with the Floppa avatar thinks Wings fans are haters?

Nah...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:25 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Had Sammy stayed, he'd be in the top six especially since Hudlum left, but really, what is the point of this discussion?
Probably something similar to the points of past discussion which bring up topics you may have been right about.

Quote:
Hudler is a superior scorer to Sammy, is younger, and can be a PP center. There simply wasn't enough cap room to keep both.

Or are you suggesting that they should have kept Sammy and let Filppula or Hudler go to make it happen?
Obviously Fil's a better player than Sammy, but Hudler's a different player than Sammy. If it was an even-money either or between the two guys and Babcock was calling the shots, I'm sure he'd want Sammy because, well, he almost universally played Sammy ahead of Hudler anyway. If it was an even-money either or between the two guys and Holland was calling the shots, he'd probably want to keep Hudler because there is alleged 'upside' there that there wouldn't be with Sammy.

Quote:
Sammy a diva attitude? Where did that come from? I was pretty hard on Sammy, but I never felt he was a diva.
I never heard anything about that, either. Maybe he likes to sing.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I miss Samuelsson, I'm not ashamed to say it. He'd be a big help this year. He's not a complete player by any means, but he fits in the system, provides offense, is abrasive, and always seemed to be a good team guy.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I miss Samuelsson, I'm not ashamed to say it. He'd be a big help this year. He's not a complete player by any means, but he fits in the system, provides offense, is abrasive, and always seemed to be a good team guy.
In the end, I decided that Sammy was a decent, mid-tier player who was a very good value for the money with the Wings. I didn't like certain things that the coach overlooked, like his weak PP shot (off target mainly) + defensive lapses there, or that he'd play him over a guy like Hudler in spite of his lapses but never give Hudlum the same breaks.

However to get at something HD mentions above too, I think Holland had a hard time justifying keeping a 33 yo guy with not that much upside at the expense of a 25 yo RFA with a pretty good offensive upside. Both could be counted on to get the team 20-25 G, but only one was more likely to get well past that, given the IT to produce it, and for a far long period of time.

It's not really an indictment of Sammy by any means, just the damn cap system.

Edit: As for missing Sammy.... isn't a qualifier necessary? Assume that Hudler had not gone to the KHL. Would Sammy's absence then be as keenly felt? It was never the GM's plan to lose both guys.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
HATER!!

Doesn't the term "hater" mean you can't deal with an opposing opinion and have nothing to retort?

In any event, it seems we jinxed Samuelsson

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
agreed

he was also important in the long playoffs from '07-'09. several very important goals (both goals in game 6 vs SJ in '07, 3rd goal shortly after selanne scored in game 7 vs anaheim, GWG in game 1 vs chicago, OT in game 2 vs chicago, 2g in game 1 vs pittsburgh in '08)

+17 and had double digit points each time. team's leading scorer in the '08 finals.

Quote:
there has been a section of DRW fans who have disliked him b/c of how he plays (shot too much, especially from the perimeter)

i am happy for him, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlavaKozlov View Post

it would have been good to have samuelsson this season, but i have never thought he would play well with datsyuk. he never seemed to me to play well offensively without the puck. seems to be less of a perimeter player for vancouver, though, which is very important.

samuelsson has mostly played with kesler and raymond, not sedins. burrows usually plays with sedins.

Last edited by nik jr: 03-17-2010 at 03:39 PM.
nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:47 PM
SlavaKozlov

Quote:
Yes, but we had four years of Sammy as a Wing scoring 23G, 14, 11, and 19G-- with mostly a full season of play except the 2nd yr. Some of that time was in the top six alongside Z. He's easily penciled in as a 20G guy. Holland wanted to keep him, but given Z's and Franzen's pay hikes, we ran out of cap room. Sammy wanted/deserved more money. That's fine. Who would have predicted that Hudler would go to the KHL and that half the team would be out with injuries? Had Sammy stayed, he'd be in the top six especially since Hudlum left, but really, what is the point of this discussion? Hudler is a superior scorer to Sammy, is younger, and can be a PP center. There simply wasn't enough cap room to keep both.

Whoops, I just re-read my post, the one line should have read that Sammy got a bigger contract THAN the Wings should have given him, not THAT. I meant my post to pretty much say I liked Sammy, but I am not a fan of the 3 X $2.5 mil contract. I agree Hudler would be a better option, but he isn't exactly a Red Wings right now either... He can just stay in Russia his whole career and never honor the Wings contract, but it does seem that Kenny is pushing hard for Hudler to come back, next season even. I'd rather have Hudler over Sammy, sure, but the Wings didn't have either this season and scooped up Williams instead... and I actually kind of like Williams, but I'd rather have Sammy or Hudler.

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
doublejack

Quote:
I would have liked to see Holland make signing Sammy a priority over Hudler. So yes, I guess I'm in the Sammy > Hudler boat. Hudler obviously didn't want to be here too badly, and the only reason Sammy left was because Kenny made it clear with his low offer where Sammy stood.

I'll leave it at that since this ground has been covered many times already. I don't think Sammy would necessarily have scored 30 goals for us this season, but as you stated 20 was practically a given. We've gotten 21 goals out of Bertuzzi and Williams combined, and of course zero out of Hudler.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Edit: As for missing Sammy.... isn't a qualifier necessary? Assume that Hudler had not gone to the KHL. Would Sammy's absence then be as keenly felt? It was never the GM's plan to lose both guys.
If Hudler were still here, no, Sammy's absence wouldn't be felt as much. The only way Sammy would have been re-signed is if Hudler had told Holland right off the bat that he was going to the KHL. Even then, no guarantee.

I guess all I was saying was that I wasn't someone who ever railed against the guy and wanted him off the team, like some others.

Old
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Here's a question for those who think Sammy is now overpaid: Is his cap hit (2.5) any worse than Cleary's (2.8)? Just curious.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:46 PM
icantthinkofaname*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
God you should be a lawyer. What a completely load of misleading fluff.

icantthinkofaname* is offline   Reply With Quote