HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oscar Moller

Old
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
wildburns*

vCash: 500
Oscar Moller

whats the general view on this kid? what kind NHLer do you think he can be?

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

If everything comes together and he packs on some lbs, a poor man's Alfredsson? That's been the comparison for a while.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
If everything comes together and he packs on some lbs, a poor man's Alfredsson? That's been the comparison for a while.
Interesting comparison. I have never heard that. I do not believe (I have not witnessed it on the ice) his leadership capacity being like Alfredsson. I think his game is somewhat like that, however.

Watching him makes me wish he had more physical sting. Which, I guess, is exactly what you are saying.

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post
Interesting comparison. I have never heard that. I do not believe (I have not witnessed it on the ice) his leadership capacity being like Alfredsson. I think his game is somewhat like that, however.

Watching him makes me wish he had more physical sting. Which, I guess, is exactly what you are saying.
Apparently he had the leadership capacity at the junior level, but it's understandable that he hasn't shown that aspect at the NHL or AHL level given the fact that he is still very young compared to the players he's been playing with.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
SLang

Oscar Moller has HUGE heart. I even started a thread on it. I love the kid. He's smart, quick, has a decent shot, and is tough as nails.

That being said, I fear his size means he will forever be an "injury replacement" call-up for the Kings. I don't think he'll ever hold down a long term roster spot.

Sad.....if you could put Oscar's brain and heart into Purcell's body....well, Purcell wouldn't be playing for Tampa right now, I'll say that.

edit....wow, looked back at that old thread and realized I stole that Purcell comparison from johnjm22....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post

He definitely is a leader, he's been a captain in Juniors and of the Swedish WJC team. I remember watching the game where they spotlighted Oscar and the biggest intangible that Fox pointed out was his Leadership.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
He definitely is a leader, he's been a captain in Juniors and of the Swedish WJC team. I remember watching the game where they spotlighted Oscar and the biggest intangible that Fox pointed out was his Leadership.
His leadership is in fact where I believe the majority of the Alfredsson comparison comes from. That and speed + shot, though Oscar's shot isn't quite as accurate... YET!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:42 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Unfortunately, Moller just gets beaten up on the boards and so he's fairly easily washed out in plays by a physical team.

We'll see what's done to remedy that for the future.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

love the kid, i just wish he was bigger. we seem to have alot of those players, small guys with big heart, kozun, loktionov and moller. even hickey isn't the biggest guy

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Lanius

Size will always be an issue, seems like he's on the receiving end of a big hit in every single game. Can't question his heart and tenacity, he'll get right up and continue playing.

Personally I've always hoped he can be a poor man's Zach Parise, a pure scorer, competes every shift, maybe 20-25 goals a year on the 2nd line in the future?

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He'll be a top six forward. Even when Moller gets leveled, he comes right back. He's a battler.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Anybody who doesn't have him pencilled-in firmly as a 2nd-line winger is crazy. Size won't stop him.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:11 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

I agree with the two posters above me. Size just means he'll have to pick his spots (much like Cammalleri did) and not play 3rd or 4th line minutes like he has been most of the season. Give him some PP time and the kid will score you goals. He's what 20/21 years old?

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I agree with those who thinks Moller will be a top 6. The question is, when? Personally, I'd like to see him get a legitimate shot at it next year but we're so deep at forwards. In order to play Moller on the top 6, guys like Stoll, Modin, Frolov and maybe even Richie have to be either traded or not re-signed.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
KoopsKings

A buddy of mine took over a really deep keeper league team and had moller on it. He asked me what he should do with him. I couldnt really find reason to keep him so i told him to release him.
With our depth at forward, who knows when he will actually be called up and have an impact. Kind of pointless to keep calling him up for 4th line duties. I would like to see him have a full year on the farm so see what kind of points he can put up. Every one keeps saying hes a pure goal scorer, but ive yet to see much from him, but i havent watched any manchester games so i dont really know.
I would like him to show something so we could at least trade him as a top level prospect. One more year of him being a yo yo, really showing nothing could hurt his confidence.
I think burke was high on him around the time he was drafted. He'd be better off in toronto or another bad team playing top 6 minutes.

KoopsKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopsKings View Post
A buddy of mine took over a really deep keeper league team and had moller on it. He asked me what he should do with him. I couldnt really find reason to keep him so i told him to release him.
With our depth at forward, who knows when he will actually be called up and have an impact. Kind of pointless to keep calling him up for 4th line duties. I would like to see him have a full year on the farm so see what kind of points he can put up. Every one keeps saying hes a pure goal scorer, but ive yet to see much from him, but i havent watched any manchester games so i dont really know.
I would like him to show something so we could at least trade him as a top level prospect. One more year of him being a yo yo, really showing nothing could hurt his confidence.
I think burke was high on him around the time he was drafted. He'd be better off in toronto or another bad team playing top 6 minutes.
Oscar Moller Games (with Manchester) 30; Goals: 9; Assists: 10; Points: 19
But he is only 21 years old (this past January). Amazing when I think about how young that is.

Watching ( and rooting for) him, I think his future depends on chemistry. If his line mates clue in to his moves, he will be a star of considerable brightness. If not, he will just be banged around and his sharp shooting skills will be dulled down.

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
I like his quick and accurate shot. He scores those Sakic-like goals, where the goalie barely moves, because he never saw the release.
I'd say he really needs to work on his skating though and maybe add about 10 pounds.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
SFKingshomer

I like Mollers attitude but I don't think he's fast enough for his size to have an impact in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
bland

Trade bait.

I like the kid - he's a gamer cursed with a tiny, fragile body. If he was more fleet of foot he might have a better chance, but he is almost too ballsy for his own good.

Think of him as a Pat Verbeek-type, but without that chip-on-his-shoulder drive.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
markisonfire

Moller is about the same size as Paul Kariya, Andrew Cogliano, Lubo Visnovsky, Jason Blake, and Kris Versteeg. Never really thought about how these players matched up size wise, but according to NHL.com's stats, thats about it.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Saevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Moller is about the same size as Paul Kariya, Andrew Cogliano, Lubo Visnovsky, Jason Blake, and Kris Versteeg. Never really thought about how these players matched up size wise, but according to NHL.com's stats, thats about it.
What all of those players (maybe except Versteeg? Not that familiar with his style) have though, is blazing speed..

I think that to make it in NHL as an undersized player (5'10 and smaller), you need to compensate by being REALLY good at something. Cammalleri has his shot, those guys you mentioned have speed, etc.

Möller has a good shot, and works hard. Might be enough, I don't know. He's still very young though, and has plenty of time to put on weight and work on his skating.

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Trade bait.

I like the kid - he's a gamer cursed with a tiny, fragile body. If he was more fleet of foot he might have a better chance, but he is almost too ballsy for his own good.

Think of him as a Pat Verbeek-type, but without that chip-on-his-shoulder drive.
What makes you say Moller is fragile? Tiny, yes, but tiny does not mean fragile. If anything, he is extremely resilient, even for a bigger man. Huge hits don't bother him, stop him and barely slow him down.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:03 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
What makes you say Moller is fragile? Tiny, yes, but tiny does not mean fragile. If anything, he is extremely resilient, even for a bigger man. Huge hits don't bother him, stop him and barely slow him down.
Agreed, fragile is not a word I'd use with Oscar. I've seen the kid PLASTERED into the boards only to get right up and go after the hitter.....youtube the Bobby Ryan hit on him.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
markisonfire

Moller is actually bigger than Patrick Kane. I don't ever see Kane get crushed like Moller does, but I'm going to really focus in on Kane tonight when the Kings play the Hawks.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Moller is actually bigger than Patrick Kane. I don't ever see Kane get crushed like Moller does, but I'm going to really focus in on Kane tonight when the Kings play the Hawks.
Hard to hit what you can't see. Kane is uber skilled. I love everybody saying Moller is to small can't make it. Just wait he is going to be a consistant 25 goal scorer if he gets PP time. I just hope its for the Kings.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote