HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why we need to re-sign Bergeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
  #1
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,144
vCash: 500
Why we need to re-sign Bergeron

Anybody else agree that our powerplay needs someone like Bergeron? I mean we went from Souray -> Streit -> Schneider -> Bergeron.

Whenever there was an adjustment period (see: Streit leaving and not having Schneider), our powerplay was very bad. Rather then going on a wild goose chase every season, why don't we just keep Bergeron as our PP specialist and a #6-#7. Depending on his cost, he should be a keeper. I fear otherwise we'll always be trying to find a plug for the PP shot (kinda like the Flyers plugging in goalies).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
  #2
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,245
vCash: 500
How hard does Subban shoot ?

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:44 PM
  #3
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Anybody else agree that our powerplay needs someone like Bergeron? I mean we went from Souray -> Streit -> Schneider -> Bergeron.

Whenever there was an adjustment period (see: Streit leaving and not having Schneider), our powerplay was very bad. Rather then going on a wild goose chase every season, why don't we just keep Bergeron as our PP specialist and a #6-#7. Depending on his cost, he should be a keeper. I fear otherwise we'll always be trying to find a plug for the PP shot (kinda like the Flyers plugging in goalies).
I don't think so.

i think Subban and or Weber will bring that element to the team next season (more likely Subban).

With Subban pretty much a lock to make the team (imo), that leaves us with 7 NHL dmen, barring a trade.

Markov
Hamrlik
Spacek
Gill
Gorges
O'Byrne
Subban

hopefully one of Spacek/Gill gets moved, but unless we are getting an upgrade at D in return or via UFA (both unlikely), I'd rather Weber/Carle battle it out for the last spot than re-sign Bergeron.

I suppose if he's willing to accept a similar contract (under 1M$), and is fine returning in a role that would see him as a healthy scratch/extra FWD/extra D, then I'd consider bringing him back, but I imagine that some other team will be willing to give him a better shot at being a regular dman.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
  #4
Ghetto Sangria
The implication
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
How hard does Subban shoot ?
This.

Subban is our next Souray, Streit, Schneider or Bergeron. No he is not being overrated here, it is clear he will have a lot of success offensively in this league. We are lucky enough to have him, and we should take full advantage!!

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
  #5
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Qc city
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Depends entirely on how much...we're going to be really close to the cap limit this summer, if he can fit in under 1.2M, maybe even under 1.0M it would be a good addition.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
  #6
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Depends entirely on how much...we're going to be really close to the cap limit this summer, if he can fit in under 1.2M, maybe even under 1.0M it would be a good addition.
Same here. At that price he would be a great #7D/#13F... and an insurance policy for our PP. I hope we can re-sign Moore and Bergeron at cap friendly salaries.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:06 PM
  #7
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
teams wil overpay for him this summer, because of his success this season.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:17 PM
  #8
BakerNator
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
No need to sign, we need his salary for Plek and we have a PP boom shot in PK Subban

BakerNator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:17 PM
  #9
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
teams wil overpay for him this summer, because of his success this season.
I doubt that, last season he had 14 goals in 72 games and was still unsigned at the start of this season before Gainey signed him. He's been playing the same way with Montreal that he did with the Oilers, the Wild, the Ducks, the Islanders. Maybe he's on pace right now to beat his career high but in my opinion, next year he'll be a Free Agent by October unless a team's desperate for a PP specialist. As for the OP's question, I think Subban or Weber could step in with their booming shot on the PP. Our PP will remain the same because the author of our success on the PP will still be playing with us and his name is Andrei Markov.


Last edited by Chris Cutter: 03-16-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
  #10
Vasculio
Booya !
 
Vasculio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: La Tuque
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
teams wil overpay for him this summer, because of his success this season.
Well, they didn't overpay for him last summer for his last season's success...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
  #11
FeelsLike93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
The more I think about it the more I disagree with keeping Bergeron. #1 he plugs up a spot on the 4th line for no reason. Now that we actually have a solid bottom 6 why put Bergeron on instead of a guy like Lapierre or Darche that are starting to produce.

#2 Sure Bergeron is a big factor on the powerplay, but that was when he was first brought it. After a while he starts becoming a non factor. I remember when the Habs brought in Schneider he was hugeee for us, but then as the games went on his effectiveness started to decrease.

sooo to me, we don NOT need Bergeron anymore, unless Martin wants to punish Lapierre or Moen for not playing up to par then put him in the lineup, otherwise.....no thx.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
  #12
Thinkbig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
What?

Please god no... we have Subban.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
  #13
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
How hard does Subban shoot ?
Very.. Him and Weber finished 1-2 in the hardest slapshot at the OHL all-star game!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
  #14
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby
 
RoyBoyCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lennoxville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,090
vCash: 500
Plus, not only does he have a rocket.. he loves to use it!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:16 PM
  #15
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
All this Subban talk, don't you guys think the habs need a lefty on the point with Markov? Unless Markov switches over to the right point, but then he couldn't feed Cammalleri in the high slot..

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
  #16
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,425
vCash: 500
Subban can easily replace Bergeron in every ways.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
  #17
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,736
vCash: 500
he is cap hit friendly that is why we sign him

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
  #18
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
How hard does Subban shoot ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Very.. Him and Weber finished 1-2 in the hardest slapshot at the OHL all-star game!
Subban: 92,7MPH

Source:



Bergeron : 103 (104?) MPH

Source : mckeenshockey

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
  #19
Galchenyuk94
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Subban can easily replace Bergeron in every ways.
1. Right handed
2. Don't know if he can one time it
3. Moot point because a righty can't one-time a puck playing on the right side.

Until we find someone that can replace him, we need to re-sign him. Our PP is lacking with him out of the lineup, Spacek just doesn't cut it.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
  #20
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
The PP is still ranked what 2nd in the league without Bergeron...so he isn't needed, he was when we had injuries to Markov, but he did his part and his play may get him a contract elsewhere.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
  #21
Rgolt
Registered User
 
Rgolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: montreal, qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
I love Bergeron but he completely destroys the bottom 6
look how great they've been doing without him there
so whats more important right now the pp, or the bottom 6

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
  #22
ILuvLucic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Location Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500
Because Subban may not be ready.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
  #23
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
1. Right handed
2. Don't know if he can one time it
3. Moot point because a righty can't one-time a puck playing on the right side.

Until we find someone that can replace him, we need to re-sign him. Our PP is lacking with him out of the lineup, Spacek just doesn't cut it.
First of all you can't resign everybody; we have too many guys ahead of him in terms of importance to the team that need to be re-signed first. Secondly, i called out Markov recently, saying that if he was as good as people had been claiming (superstar d-man), he shouldn't have to depend on Bergeron to make the PP work. Well, seems to me he's shooting more, and the puck is going in the net. Everyone assumes they're PP is the best in the league because of Bergeron but i don't think that's the case at all. What makes them so good is that they have excellent fore-checking players like gionta, plekanec, and gomez who do an amazing job of outworking defenders for the puck after a dump-in. As well, the way markov and gomez gain the blue line is impressive to say the least. They hadn't been clicking lately because they were over passing, thinking that they had to make the perfect play to compensate for the lack of a powerful shot at the blueline. Now that Markov has figured out he needs to take more shots, the PP is starting to wake up. Once Cammy comes back they'll add that extra one-timing element, and they'll be as good as ever. MAB would help out as well, but to re-sign him seems like a luxury we just can't afford.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
  #24
Mtl6
Registered User
 
Mtl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
One of Carle, Weber or Subban will be there. No problem! Carle may have an edge at the beginning of the season because of his contract.

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
  #25
Mtl6
Registered User
 
Mtl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Subban: 92,7MPH

Source:



Bergeron : 103 (104?) MPH

Source : mckeenshockey
Actually, 94,8!

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.