Notices

Who's on the block??!

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 09:50 PM
DaigleFan09

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DaigleFan09 Send a message via MSN to DaigleFan09
I don't think Kuba will or should be moved. He is the last of the expansion draftees, I believe. I think the organization would like to try to at least keep one of those around. I have to agree that he is a little overpaid, but Kuba isn't making an insane amount of money.

Speaking of defencemen on the block, I would like to throw Zyuzin's name in the hat. He is probably our most offensive defencemen, but one of the most inconsistent also. He seemed to have spells of goal-scoring streaks, with spells of non-scoring streaks. I don't think he will be moved, but I would like DR to entertain the possibility during the summer.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:06 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Let's dump Roloson, Brunette and Walz because they're OLD. Let Fortunus and Courchaine take their place, cuz they're YOUNG.

What's wrong with this scenario?
Missing my whole point.

Age has nothing to do with this. Quality is what I'm after. If it was about age, he would be one of the last names mentioned here at age 27.

Kuba was drafted because he is big. He is still on this team and logging alot of minutes because he is big. He has learned to play good positional defense, but has no real skill besides a big shot. Basically plays with no fire at all. Not a guy to build around IMO.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:09 PM
DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Missing my whole point.

Age has nothing to do with this. Quality is what I'm after. If it was about age, he would be one of the last names mentioned here at age 27.

Kuba was drafted because he is big. He is still on this team and logging alot of minutes because he is big. He has learned to play good positional defense, but has no real skill besides a big shot. Basically plays with no fire at all. Not a guy to build around IMO.
I'd have to agree. It's not that he will get traded anyways. Should he be considered for such a thing? Heck ya, we should always be looking any way to improve this team. Even if we have to "slide" by for the next few years.

It's amazing how we forget just how terrible the North Stars were with all those teams that just got into the playoffs just so they could make a few bucks. The worst thing is they were even worse at drafting players when they were "the" quintesential losers. How can us fans justify hoping that the Wild just make the playoffs instead of actually becoming real contenders floors me even more. The season before last wasn't a fluke, but it's alot closer to that then the Wild were to the being the Stanley Cup winners.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
My point was your point - every year I see people wanting to dump all the vets so we can get AHL'ers into the lineup, which is no way to run a team - I think the Wild have done a good job of balancing veterans and younger players. I was being I-R-O-N-I-C.

Old
05-17-2004, 09:47 AM
rubicon

keep Flip

Old
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
StateofHockey

Send a message via MSN to StateofHockey Send a message via Yahoo to StateofHockey
i say we should get rid of filip. he used to have a big shot but that isnt the case anymore...

Old
05-25-2004, 12:50 PM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

I don't see Kuba being traded for a couple of reasons. DR usually stands by his contracts. He signed Kuba for a few years. If DR didn't think he was an asset to the team, I doubt he would have done this (and yes I realize one can argue he did it to secure his salary to make it easier to trade him or he has since changed his mind about Kuba's worth, etc.). Also, obviously Lemaire doesn't think Kuba is so horrible or am I to believe he's the only defenseman capable of logging 25 minutes?

Kuba is also perhaps Gaborik's best friend on the team.

Personally, I think Kuba leaves a lot to be desired. He's big but not very physical. He has a big slapper but rarely hits the net, if he can even manage to get the shot off after his huge and very blockable wind-up. He has stone hands (good for his mastery of the poke check but not for keeping pucks in at the point or miffing a shot/pass). He skates OK for a big man (*rolls eyes*). He is a marginal+ passer. He is very sound positionally and has good instincts. The latter point is IMO the reason Lemaire plays him so much.

All that being said, I never want to see him on the PP and I couldn't care less if he was dealt, for the right price. :lol

As far as Wiemer goes, I think it depends on one thing - DR & Lemaire's opinion of Kyle Wanvig. They said they didn't bring him up at the end of the year because they already know what he's about (i.e. capable of). I assume they know what Wiemer is about too.

Personally, I like Wiemer. I like his physical play, what I can see of his leadership, and I love his fighting ability (best & most entertaining of any Wild ever IMO). To me, however, he's more of a replacement for Johnson as I don't view FT enforcers as relevant in today's game (and although Johnson had a great year offensively and has improved his overall game a lot in the past few years I still view him as a fighter).

My views are not shared by DR and Lemaire though. They are going to keep Johnson. In that vein, both would have to be on the team, which is do-able. What I don't think is going to happen, however, is Johnson, Wiemer and Wanvig being on the team. Again, my opinion could differ from the higher-ups but that's what I see.

The reason being that Wiemer and Wanvig are too similar, or at least can be. They are both big/solid bodies that play phyiscal and can/will fight if called for. Neither has shown the ability to score much (Wiemer has not transfered his high scoring Jr. years & Wanvig has yet to make an impact though obviously still possesses some potential).

The main differences between the two are experience/age and salary.

I think DR will either sign Wiemer with the assumption that Wanvig is...not going to be a player w/ the Wild in the near future... or bet/assume/hope Wanvig is ready.

Last edited by CechMY5HOLEman-ek!: 05-25-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Closed Thread