HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets sign Matt Calvert

Old
03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Monk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have higher hopes then the current version of Brule. If he only performs at current Brule standards, I wouldn't be all that excited.
Will you at least be satisfied?

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Will you at least be satisfied?
Nope. I am happy for Brule that he broke out some this year, but he has a long way to go.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Maybe "hoping" is better than Maclean era "hyping"?

We "hope" RJ will be the number 1 center. Not "RJ UMBERGER IS TEH GREATEST CENTER EVAR AND WILL BE FEEDING NASH PUCKS FOR TEH NEXT 100 YEARS."
This. So very this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
The question now becomes: Why is it that the Jackets can find gems in the 3rd-5th rounds, but can't draft anyone decent in the 2nd round? I mean, Calvert's stats are up there with guys who were drafted 11th overall and 22nd overall in the WHL by NHL teams. Let's just start trading our 2nd round picks for 3-4 3-5 round picks?
Goloubef and Lynch look like they might get somewhere. Legein's also starting to look better, albeit for Philly.

It *looks* like our second round drafting is improving, but it's too early to tell quite yet.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 03-19-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: concatenate posts
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have higher hopes then the current version of Brule. If he only performs at current Brule standards, I wouldn't be all that excited.
Well, I also have higher hopes for Brule: I meant that there'd be good production now with room to grow. He's about on Voracek's production level right now, I think (points per game). I have my hopes. Still, I don't think I'd be disappointed to get a 30+ point scorer out of Calvert. For one thing, if he doesn't quite make the top six, he'd likely upgrade our bottom six--which is lacking in scoring.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I have a novel idea - let's see how he does during training camp this summer and then compare him to other youngsters vying for the bottom 6 spots.

Let's bring him, Moore, and Filatov in early this summer so we can really get a good depth perception on them.

IMO I'd rather have Calvert playing top line minutes in the Cuse than playing bottom line for the Jackets his first year up in the majors. He's not exactly tearing it up in the OHL so we should be skeptical. That said, if he EARNS a spot on the top team by outcompeting other players, then we shouldn't hold him back because of age.

If his last year's training camp was any indication, though, I think putting intense scrutiny upon him in camp this year would be fair as he seems to be able to perform well in that type of environment.

I want him to turn into a top 6 winger, not a bottom 6 Boll or Dorsett type player.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
phishstu

vCash: 50
"He's not exactly tearing it up in the OHL so we should be skeptical."
This is because he is "tearing it up" in the WHL. 47goals 52 assists +47. 4th in the league in scoring. 2goals 3 assists +1 in 2 playoff games. what does he have to do to be considered "tearing it up"?

phishstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishstu View Post
"He's not exactly tearing it up in the OHL so we should be skeptical."
This is because he is "tearing it up" in the WHL. 47goals 52 assists +47. 4th in the league in scoring. 2goals 3 assists +1 in 2 playoff games. what does he have to do to be considered "tearing it up"?
Play in a better league and do well, that's what. Like the NCAA and ECHL, success in the WHL hardly guarantees success in the NHL.

Old
03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Play in a better league and do well, that's what. Like the NCAA and ECHL, success in the WHL hardly guarantees success in the NHL.
In Matty's case stats to me are sort of irrelevant, as he could only be doing respectable and I would still know what we're getting with him, but it's absolutely a plus that he is in fact tearing up a hard-to-score-goals WHL.

I've thought of a new comparison for Matt- TJ Oshie (except I doubt he'll be able to knock Nash off his arse ).

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I scoff at this comment.

The WHL is the top producer of NHL talent in the world, and statistics prove that fact.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
The WHL is the top producer of NHL talent in the world, and statistics prove that fact.
No way, the best by far is the OHL and draft pick status / player results prove that fact. The WHL is getting better, and does offer a fair number of 1st rounders, but he honestly was ready to come up from the WHL last year and everyone knew it. If he were to be doing mediocre in the WHL as opposed to in Syracuse this season, that'd be a really bad sign. We expected him to do well, he expected himself to do well, congrats now get up to speed with the rest of the big kids and show what you've got Calvert.

Old
03-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
I scoff at this comment.

Quote:
No way, the best by far is the OHL and draft pick status / player results prove that fact. The WHL is getting better, and does offer a fair number of 1st rounders, but he honestly was ready to come up from the WHL last year and everyone knew it. If he were to be doing mediocre in the WHL as opposed to in Syracuse this season, that'd be a really bad sign. We expected him to do well, he expected himself to do well, congrats now get up to speed with the rest of the big kids and show what you've got Calvert.
The leagues fluctuate in terms of talent. The OHL is probably on top currently, but at the beginning of the millennium, the best talent was coming out of the WHL. The Q is also making good strides after an awful decade, talent-wise. (95-05, excluding 98)

03-23-2010, 08:41 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Well, I also have higher hopes for Brule: I meant that there'd be good production now with room to grow. He's about on Voracek's production level right now, I think (points per game). I have my hopes. Still, I don't think I'd be disappointed to get a 30+ point scorer out of Calvert. For one thing, if he doesn't quite make the top six, he'd likely upgrade our bottom six--which is lacking in scoring.
Meh, just noticed this.

The question was the current version of Brule, not who he might become. I refuse to set a low bar for Calvert. So, no, I wouldn't be satisfied. I am satisified with the progress of Dorsett and, to a lesser extent, Boll. The bar is much higher on Calvert.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Over 30% of all players in the NHL came from the WHL. Maybe not the elite guys, but the depth guys definitely come from the WHL.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:17 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I'd be impressed if Calvert made the team next year.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Over 30% of all players in the NHL came from the WHL. Maybe not the elite guys, but the depth guys definitely come from the WHL.
I thought you were saying that WHL is the better producer of talent, not depth... Like I said, he's doing great down there but I'm not ready to say he'll be top talent.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Doug19

I'll never expect Calvert to be a big point producer, but I do expect him to anchor our third line for a long time and be able to move up if needed.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Matt

That is what this team needs, more 3rd liners.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
deanosaur

Quite easily, and bar far the most hardest working player AND most consistent player wearing the Wheaties jersey all season.
People say hes not a grinder.. but a high scoring winger... Well he's more of a super star grinder in the WHL. He doesn't make HUGE hits by any means, he goes to the dirty areas, usually comes out with the puck and only to dish it off to Schenn or Glennie for a goal. Yeah yeah that line tends to get waaay too pretty with their passes and messes up but really they get the time and space to make nice plays. I think more Glennie and Schenn benefited more from playing with Calvert IMO. Very rare did I see Calvert having an off game. If he wasn't scoring, he was atleast playing better in other aspects of the game. These playoffs and Memorial Cup I think we're gonna see how good he really can be at this age.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That is what this team needs, more 3rd liners.
Are you serious? That sarcasm had a little more merit years ago but with talent like Nash, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Huselieus, Umberger, and Vermette this team is no longer a team of "third liners". This team sucks because the defense sucks plain and simple.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
phishstu

vCash: 50
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...top10_wingers/

phishstu is offline   Reply With Quote