HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a high ankle sprain; Leighton Out 8-10 Weeks.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
I'm obviously not as well conditioned as any professional athlete, but when I had a high ankle sprain on a similar (but more severe) fall to Leighton, it was two months before I could play again, and around six months before I could go in and out of the bfly free of pain.

1) Leighton is stronger than me and 2) he could put weight on his ankle immediately after, and I couldn't....but especially for a goaltender, any ankle sprain can linger with you for a long time and keep you from getting back to 100%.

If I'm Holmgren, I look to sign a guy like Fernandez to a tryout contract to backup Bouch. Backlund isn't ready, and we can't afford to falter if Bouch can't get in the zone.

Just my two cents...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
pelts35.com

I feel really bad for the guy. He finally plays well enough to be an NHL starter and ends up with a major injury that will most likely end his season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I feel really bad for the guy. He finally plays well enough to be an NHL starter and ends up with a major injury that will most likely end his season.
I don't think he's going anywhere. He'll get another crack in Philly I think.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
The hilarity of giving a shooter tutor a "no movement" clause is still cracking me up.
The draft pick for an assistant inventory clerk is what got me the most.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:01 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

A Michael Leighton injury forces the Flyers to lose almost all hope.

Imagine if someone would've told you this at the beginning of the season ...

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
The draft pick for an assistant inventory clerk is what got me the most.
I just like how it works on two levels, seeing how a shooter tutor doesn't move.

I think Michael Leighton's contract had a no movement clause added when he got here too. That's why he stopped cutting down angles and just sits in the crease now. Everybody thought that was some genius stroke by Jeff Reese....no. Leighton just didn't understand the no movement clause Homer gave him when he got off the plane. He thought he wasn't allowed to move during the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
A Michael Leighton injury forces the Flyers to lose almost all hope.

Imagine if someone would've told you this at the beginning of the season ...
I think it's more of how bad Boucher has been in his last few games and a lack of tending depth than how much we thought Leighton was gonna carry us to the promised land. But I hear you....strange days in Flyers land right now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
BernieParent

Thanks for your feedback. My cynical little brain wasn't letting me sleep after this (down)turn of events, so I had to get back up and purge it.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Flyers GM Holmgren Signs Shooter Tutor to Contract

Philadelphia - March 16, 2010. Just 3 hours after the loss of starting goaltender Michael Leighton, Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren announced the signing of a Shooter Tutor for the final playoff run.

The deal is reported to be a one-year $79.99 deal, with a reported No Movement Clause. GM Holmgren confirmed the deal with the local Wal-Mart moments after the Flyers' shootout loss to the Nashville Predators.

Wal-Mart Assistant Supervisor Grant Smiley acknowledged that the deal had been brewing for weeks.

"Yeah, Mr. Holmgren has been coming in since January and lingering in the sports department," said Smiley. "We had to ask him to leave several times at store closing. The Shooter Tutor has been up on display since October, and, truth be told, he just missed the special in our circular two weeks ago."

Smiley indicated that Holmgren "appeared agitated" while waiting in the express line. "He said he thought the woman in the relaxed-fit jogging pants was looking to outbid him.

"The price was $48.99, but Mr. Holmgren offered the cashier $79.99 and threw in a second-round draft pick. I don't know much about the NHL draft, but we could use another assistant inventory clerk."

To clear salary cap space, Flyers winger Claude Giroux was put on waivers.
hahahaha!! I needed a good laugh, thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
CdnFlyersFan

Quote:
Flyers GM Holmgren Signs Shooter Tutor to Contract

Philadelphia - March 16, 2010. Just 3 hours after the loss of starting goaltender Michael Leighton, Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren announced the signing of a Shooter Tutor for the final playoff run.

The deal is reported to be a one-year $79.99 deal, with a reported No Movement Clause. GM Holmgren confirmed the deal with the local Wal-Mart moments after the Flyers' shootout loss to the Nashville Predators.

Wal-Mart Assistant Supervisor Grant Smiley acknowledged that the deal had been brewing for weeks.

"Yeah, Mr. Holmgren has been coming in since January and lingering in the sports department," said Smiley. "We had to ask him to leave several times at store closing. The Shooter Tutor has been up on display since October, and, truth be told, he just missed the special in our circular two weeks ago."

Smiley indicated that Holmgren "appeared agitated" while waiting in the express line. "He said he thought the woman in the relaxed-fit jogging pants was looking to outbid him.

"The price was $48.99, but Mr. Holmgren offered the cashier $79.99 and threw in a second-round draft pick. I don't know much about the NHL draft, but we could use another assistant inventory clerk."

To clear salary cap space, Flyers winger Claude Giroux was put on waivers.
Honestly the funniest post of HF Boards I have ever read! I read it before I left the house...and I could not stop laughing the whole drive to work.
Well played!

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I'm obviously not as well conditioned as any professional athlete, but when I had a high ankle sprain on a similar (but more severe) fall to Leighton, it was two months before I could play again, and around six months before I could go in and out of the bfly free of pain.

1) Leighton is stronger than me and 2) he could put weight on his ankle immediately after, and I couldn't....but especially for a goaltender, any ankle sprain can linger with you for a long time and keep you from getting back to 100%.

If I'm Holmgren, I look to sign a guy like Fernandez to a tryout contract to backup Bouch. Backlund isn't ready, and we can't afford to falter if Bouch can't get in the zone.

Just my two cents...
Again with the Fernandez. Fernandez hasn't even been playing this year. How is this a better option than someone who has on the Phantoms?

They signed Backlund, took a lot of heat for it no less. Their intentions were to have the guy play in the NHL if needed. If it comes to it, you have to be willing to put him into an game. If not, you've compromised the player, his career, and your organization.

And Fernandez wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
DUHockey9

Boucher DID play well for a stretch right after Emery got hurt. That was just when we couldn't score for crap. Maybe he can replicate that?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Boucher DID play well for a stretch right after Emery got hurt. That was just when we couldn't score for crap. Maybe he can replicate that?
He still gave up some pretty bad goals. I think one reason Leighton kept getting starts was because Laviolette felt Leighton was able to make that one big extra save or two, whereas Boucher really couldn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I'm posting it in the trade forum as a rumor. With a link to the original post, of course.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:41 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
well this sucks. what a joke of a season for goalies here.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He still gave up some pretty bad goals. I think one reason Leighton kept getting starts was because Laviolette felt Leighton was able to make that one big extra save or two, whereas Boucher really couldn't.
I changed my mind a bit on Leighton. I mean, they both give up some horrific goals but Leighton has a great glove. Though when he went through that stretch where he only gave up 2 goals a game it was amazing that he would make all of the hard stops and always, always surrender a soft 3rd period goal. Neither is the answer but, without Leighton, we don't have much shot at getting past the first round.

...and here begins the Backlund/Duchesne Era!

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I changed my mind a bit on Leighton. I mean, they both give up some horrific goals but Leighton has a great glove. Though when he went through that stretch where he only gave up 2 goals a game it was amazing that he would make all of the hard stops and always, always surrender a soft 3rd period goal. Neither is the answer but, without Leighton, we don't have much shot at getting past the first round.

...and here begins the Backlund/Duchesne Era!
Depending on the severity of Backlund's injury, if Boucher goes down we could be looking at Duchense and Teslak.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
BernieParent

Thanks, L-train for the increased exposure to my (half-)witticism. Alas, it is all for naught, apparently.

Flyers’ Shooter Tutor Joins Ranks of Injured Goaltenders; Holmgren Looking for Options

Philadelphia, PA – March 17, 2010. Less than 24 hours after signing a Shooter Tutor to replace injured goaltenders Michael Leighton and Ray Emery in the Flyers nets, a beleaguered General Manager Paul Holmgren announced that his newest acquisition is also on the sidelines after developing a Grade 2 tear in its forehead.

“We were all pretty excited to do some drills with Shootsie,” said Flyers center Jeff Carter. “I had put my first nine shots high and wide, so I thought I’d go right for the logo, you know, mix things up a bit. Well, the puck went right through his mask.”

Despite the obvious gash in the fabric, Flyers medical staff were reluctant to label the injury a tear.

“We are maintaining that Mr. Tutor was probably dehydrated further to an extended period on the shop shelves,” said medical trainer Jim McCrossin. They discussed re-knotting strategies with goaltending coach Jeff Reese to offset the injury.

On recommendation of the medical staff, the Shooter Tutor was sent to the team’s Adirondack affiliate for a conditioning assignment, with instructions that it be fastened backwards to allow time for the area to heal.

With this latest setback, the Flyers are once again scrambling to locate a back-up to Brian Boucher.

“I talked to Riley (Cote) about it, since he’s used to taking plenty of shots, but he nearly strangled himself trying to get into the equipment,” said Holmgren. “The good thing is that good goalies are a dime a dozen in this league, because that’s about all the cap space we have left. We’re not really worried; I mean, how much does a goalie contribute to the outcome of a game anyway?

“What are you going to do?”

Old
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Thanks, L-train for the increased exposure to my (half-)witticism. Alas, it is all for naught, apparently.

Flyers’ Shooter Tutor Joins Ranks of Injured Goaltenders; Holmgren Looking for Options

Philadelphia, PA – March 17, 2010. Less than 24 hours after signing a Shooter Tutor to replace injured goaltenders Michael Leighton and Ray Emery in the Flyers nets, a beleaguered General Manager Paul Holmgren announced that his newest acquisition is also on the sidelines after developing a Grade 2 tear in its forehead.

“We were all pretty excited to do some drills with Shootsie,” said Flyers center Jeff Carter. “I had put my first nine shots high and wide, so I thought I’d go right for the logo, you know, mix things up a bit. Well, the puck went right through his mask.”

Despite the obvious gash in the fabric, Flyers medical staff were reluctant to label the injury a tear.

“We are maintaining that Mr. Tutor was probably dehydrated further to an extended period on the shop shelves,” said medical trainer Jim McCrossin. They discussed re-knotting strategies with goaltending coach Jeff Reese to offset the injury.

On recommendation of the medical staff, the Shooter Tutor was sent to the team’s Adirondack affiliate for a conditioning assignment, with instructions that it be fastened backwards to allow time for the area to heal.

With this latest setback, the Flyers are once again scrambling to locate a back-up to Brian Boucher.

“I talked to Riley (Cote) about it, since he’s used to taking plenty of shots, but he nearly strangled himself trying to get into the equipment,” said Holmgren. “The good thing is that good goalies are a dime a dozen in this league, because that’s about all the cap space we have left. We’re not really worried; I mean, how much does a goalie contribute to the outcome of a game anyway?

“What are you going to do?”
Outstanding! The bolded part in particular.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Shootsie.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Jeremy Duchesne recalled

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Outstanding! The bolded part in particular.
I think I almost blacked out from laughing so hard.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
captainpaxil

boooooosh!!!!

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
all of that...every bit of it...is just awesome.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
BernieParent

Thanks again.

But seriously, folks ...

From MSE's posted http://www.printthis.clickability.co...6cid=87992512:

Quote:
Leighton, who made his 15th straight start, couldn't find the puck near his skates, and ...
Should this not have set off warning bells for someone? I know a high-ankle sprain could happen on any shift at any time during the season, but is there no sense of goalie workload? Many were very anxious about Emery handling the majority of the workload given his abbreviated season in Russia. While I know his injury was one of a worsening of an underlying condition, the workload couldn't have helped.

Now Laviolette rides a career back-up off the waiver wire like there's no tomorrow. Again, a direct contribution to his injury is iffy, but it just seems the setting is weighed heavily on the side of failure. And now Boucher has to instantly play this team into (and hopefully through) the playoffs without any sort of appreciable time facing NHL opponents this season.

I don't understand the logic.

Old
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
CantSeeColors

Everyone be on the lookout for the Brad Phillips signing.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote