HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leighton has a high ankle sprain; Leighton Out 8-10 Weeks.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
lets make a hostile trade for miller. ill drive the van, and the largest of us can grab him and throw him in. buffalo is a long way, so ill expect gas money, thanks.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It would also be an incredibly dick move to claim a guy like Esche if you don't plan on using 'em. I mean, it happens in sports... but if Esche gets a shot to come back to the NHL, just let him get his chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, what if we made a deal at the deadline and it was Vokoun, Halak, Turco...etc that gets hurt and is out for the rest of the season. Then we would be furious since we most likely would have lost Giroux, JVR, Carle, Gagne Carter and/or Hartnell.

I guess it could be worse...
It depends on the situation, but let's say he dealt Hartnell for Vokoun. Yeah, it would suck to see Vokoun get hurt, but we'd still have Vokoun for next year and Leighton to take over when Vokoun went down. It wouldn't be the ideal situation, but I don't think anyone could get on him for taking a shot on a real upgrade that could still work out next year.

I get that **** happens, but what burns me up is that Holmgren gambled on two high risk goalies and never had a backup plan. Emery's injury was unfortunate, but he was a big gamble and had played fewer than 40 games the previous two seasons so he should have signed a backup that was capable of playing 30-40 games for insurance. Emery then goes down and he decides to gamble the season on an AHL goalie that has never shown he is a capable starter at the NHL level. Once again it would make sense to get an insurance option that can start in case Leighton falters or gets injured but he does nothing. A little more planning and preparation could have put them in a better situation.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:22 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
This sucks.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:25 PM
JSTAFF

At least we will be hearing alot more Boooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chants.

On a side note, I wish Backlund wasn't injured so we could see him man the pipes at least a couple times.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
It depends on the situation, but let's say he dealt Hartnell for Vokoun. Yeah, it would suck to see Vokoun get hurt, but we'd still have Vokoun for next year and Leighton to take over when Vokoun went down. It wouldn't be the ideal situation, but I don't think anyone could get on him for taking a shot on a real upgrade that could still work out next year.

I get that **** happens, but what burns me up is that Holmgren gambled on two high risk goalies and never had a backup plan. Emery's injury was unfortunate, but he was a big gamble and had played fewer than 40 games the previous two seasons so he should have signed a backup that was capable of playing 30-40 games for insurance. Emery then goes down and he decides to gamble the season on an AHL goalie that has never shown he is a capable starter at the NHL level. Once again it would make sense to get an insurance option that can start in case Leighton falters or gets injured but he does nothing. A little more planning and preparation could have put them in a better situation.
He did have a backup plan, and that backup was Boucher.

While we may not agree that was a good backup plan or not, the monkey wrench that was thrown into the mix was when both Emery AND Boucher went down with injury. It was at that point that Leighton was claimed off of waivers and I don't think anyone expected Leighton to have the success that he had.

That said with Leighton's success I am guessing that Homer then figured he would ride Leighton and Boucher would still be the backup plan. Now, with Leighton's injury (and Backlund's) we have Boucher and Duchense.

Look at it this way, if Boucher didn't get hurt, Leighton probably would not have been claimed so, either way, you'd be looking at a tandem of Boucher and Duchesne now anyway.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:31 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
At least we will be hearing alot more Boooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chants.

On a side note, I wish Backlund wasn't injured so we could see him man the pipes at least a couple times.
You should edit that to read "hopefully we will be hearing a lot more Booooooooosh chants.

As for Backlund, even if he was healthy my guess is he wouldn't get a single start in the stretch run. But, perhaps this is the beginning of the Jeremy Duchense era! He was stellar in his 2 AHL starts.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You should edit that to read "hopefully we will be hearing a lot more Booooooooosh chants.
No, he's dead on. There will be plenty of Boosh chants whether he plays well or sucks. If he plays well, they'll be genuine. If he doesn't, we'll be hearing it every time he makes a routine save while down 5-1.

Also, Backlund would not find his way into the net unless Boucher got hurt.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
KaraLupin
카라

So if Duchesne is gonna be our backup, and Backlund is hurt.. Who is gonna play in goal for the Phantoms now?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
So if Duchesne is gonna be our backup, and Backlund is hurt.. Who is gonna play in goal for the Phantoms now?
Michael Teslak and they'll sign someone to a PTO.

Edit: ADK, signs Kris Mayotte to a PTO.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=67711

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel
No, he's dead on. There will be plenty of Boosh chants whether he plays well or sucks. If he plays well, they'll be genuine. If he doesn't, we'll be hearing it every time he makes a routine save while down 5-1.
Valid point.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, what if we made a deal at the deadline and it was Vokoun, Halak, Turco...etc that gets hurt and is out for the rest of the season. Then we would be furious since we most likely would have lost Giroux, JVR, Carle, Gagne Carter and/or Hartnell.

I guess it could be worse...
Halak only cost you a 2nd round pick according to a Montreal broadcaster, but your GM did not wnat to make the trade.

JustAHabFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
He did have a backup plan, and that backup was Boucher.

While we may not agree that was a good backup plan or not, the monkey wrench that was thrown into the mix was when both Emery AND Boucher went down with injury. It was at that point that Leighton was claimed off of waivers and I don't think anyone expected Leighton to have the success that he had.

That said with Leighton's success I am guessing that Homer then figured he would ride Leighton and Boucher would still be the backup plan. Now, with Leighton's injury (and Backlund's) we have Boucher and Duchense.

Look at it this way, if Boucher didn't get hurt, Leighton probably would not have been claimed so, either way, you'd be looking at a tandem of Boucher and Duchesne now anyway.
That's what I'm saying, it was a poor backup plan. They needed a goalie that could start 30-40 games which is not Boosh, IMO.

If the Flyers were stuck with Boucher/Duchesne/Backlund before the deadline then Holmgren decides to make a deal, IMO.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
I'm expecting my ATO contract to show up any day now.

...I wish.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, it was a poor backup plan. They needed a goalie that could start 30-40 games which is not Boosh, IMO.

If the Flyers were stuck with Boucher/Duchesne/Backlund before the deadline then Holmgren decides to make a deal, IMO.
I agree that it was a poor backup plan. I'm just saying what the organization's point of view is.

I'm not sure if I agree with your second statement. I think that would have been predicated on how well Boucher was playing. If Boucher was playing well, then I think he'd carry the load and Backlund would have been on the bench.

All of this said the position the Flyers are in is no different than if any other team lost their 2 starters. They'd be onto their 3rd and 4th (5th with the 4th option being hurt) options too. If anything Homer would probably argue that the Flyers are better off since Boucher is a better 3rd option than what the majority of NHL teams have.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:11 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Halak only cost you a 2nd round pick according to a Montreal broadcaster, but your GM did not wnat to make the trade.
If you actually believe that article then you've been fooled.

Montreal wanted a 2nd which Philly did not have. Montreal also wanted JVR or Giroux which Philly was not willing to give up.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:15 PM
StanJonathan*

CuJo

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
false report. we dont have a 2nd till 2012.
good try though.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:24 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Eklund is floating the idea that the Flyers could sign Esche. I know Eklund is full of crap, but is this possible? He'd have to clear waivers correct? Would he be eligible for the postseason roster?
Esche can sign, but not play in playoffs. So I guess the Flyers could look at him as help to get them there.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
jb**

Sudsy settlemeyer has a better chance to see game action than duchesne. Hopefully this is another nail in the coffin of shooter

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
billandsebastian

Makes me yearn for the days of Martin Houle.

...not really. But almost.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Duchense gets #67 - the traditional number for whenever the Flyers call up a goalie who will sit on the bench and will be able to take the jersey home with and frame it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Opus

You know you're ****ed when panic sets in because Michael ****ing Leighton is injured.

Seriously.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Duchense gets #67 - the traditional number for whenever the Flyers call up a goalie who will sit on the bench and will be able to take the jersey home with and frame it.
Wait till Boosh gets hurt

You know its gonna happen. You know it lol

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wait till Boosh gets hurt

You know its gonna happen. You know it lol
We are certainly tempting fate at this point. Sounds like Backlund just has the flu, though... (unless someone has read differently). So, I think you'll see him whenever he's healthy and/or if we really needed someone to play.

Ugly all around.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

It's certainly pretty ridiculous that our back-up goalie is going to be a dude that was recently playing in the ECHL...but other than that, I don't really see or understand the reason for the panic. I'll panic if Boucher goes down. But I don't get it...I don't get why so many Flyers fans seem to think that Boucher isn't plenty capable of performing as well as Leighton has. It's like people just look at their respective records to form their opinion. Anyone who watched the team all season should recall that Boucher played pretty damn well for most of the time he was the starter...right up until he got that finger injury. He was extremely unfortunate in terms of the goal support he received as well as the way the team was playing in front of him in general.

Leighton has played well for the most part, but he hasn't exactly stolen any games. Maybe one or two? Then there have been games where he's let up a softie or two, yet the team has still pulled out a win. Boucher can definitely do as well or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We are certainly tempting fate at this point. Sounds like Backlund just has the flu, though... (unless someone has read differently). So, I think you'll see him whenever he's healthy and/or if we really needed someone to play.

Ugly all around.
Someone said earlier in the thread they thought it was a leg issue with Backlund.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I agree that it was a poor backup plan. I'm just saying what the organization's point of view is.

I'm not sure if I agree with your second statement. I think that would have been predicated on how well Boucher was playing. If Boucher was playing well, then I think he'd carry the load and Backlund would have been on the bench.

All of this said the position the Flyers are in is no different than if any other team lost their 2 starters. They'd be onto their 3rd and 4th (5th with the 4th option being hurt) options too. If anything Homer would probably argue that the Flyers are better off since Boucher is a better 3rd option than what the majority of NHL teams have.
The reason why the Flyers ended up with Leighton in the first place was because they didn't trust Backlund as Boucher's backup. The Halak talks took place around this time as well. If they didn't trust Backlund then, why on earth would he have been satisfied with a Boucher/Backlund tandem going into the deadline? He wouldn't. There would have been a trade.

I agree you can argue Boucher is a better 3rd option, but that's overlooking the fact that he everyone on planet earth not named Holmgren and the kool aid drinkers knew it was a huge gamble going past the deadline with Leighton/Boucher as your goalies and it came back to bite him like every single rational fan feared it would. There was no excuse for him not to make a move. None.