HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learning how to skate... off the ice?

Old
03-11-2010, 01:10 AM
GreenPenInk

vCash: 500
Learning how to skate... off the ice?

Are there excercises/drills you can do off the ice to practice being in a position, or that go through the movements that would build good habits and get you familiar with how it should feel when you are on the ice? Can't get onto ice as often as I'd like with my schedule.

Vids/descriptions anything would be appreciated.

GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:19 AM
backhander

rollerblading will be the closest thing you can get to skating. other than edging there is going to be nothing else that can simulate ice skating better than rollerblading. you can work on all your fundamentals of skating. check out Robbie Glance instructional skating videos or something similar to work on the fundamentals. good luck and stay in the knee bend!!!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhander View Post
rollerblading will be the closest thing you can get to skating. other than edging there is going to be nothing else that can simulate ice skating better than rollerblading. you can work on all your fundamentals of skating. check out Robbie Glance instructional skating videos or something similar to work on the fundamentals. good luck and stay in the knee bend!!!
I guess you can work on cross-overs and some things in inline skates, but not stopping.

I inline skated for many years, and feel it has actually interfered with my ability to learn hockey stops, etc., on ice skates, as I always used the inline skates' heel stop

I've completely stopped inline so as to not "throw off" my ice skating, and to unlearn certain habits...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Steelhead16

You can buy or make a slide board. Google "skating slide board" and there are a lot for sale. I made one for my son for about $40. It helped really be able to push and stride and build his quads.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I considered investing in a pair of roller blades to help me off the ice, but after reading a lot of threads here I decided it wouldn't do much good and could actually hinder my progress. Also I just sunk a bunch of money into hockey gear, I really don't want to be spending any more on roller blades!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecktor View Post
Are there excercises/drills you can do off the ice to practice being in a position, or that go through the movements that would build good habits and get you familiar with how it should feel when you are on the ice? Can't get onto ice as often as I'd like with my schedule.

Vids/descriptions anything would be appreciated.
Stated in here already about crossovers and things that you do on ice you can do with roller but stopping something totally different.

I mentioned on this board before but I bought roller blades and tried some off ice practice and almost killed myself so many times out of habit that i gave it up quickly and sold them.

I played on ice my whole life and just could not adjust. Stopping will be your main issue as well as transitioning from skating forward to backwards. you would have to be very deliberate in your motions on blades where on ice you trust your edges more for that.

The natural give of ice is what makes things different and easier.

However this being said ... find a running track and do laps. No harm in that and you get a workout. You can also practice quick starts from a dead stop straight ahead and get some stamina from doing laps.

This reminds me that I should get some for this summer when there is less ice for me to play ice games on. I will have 2 sessions a week or less when i am used to more ice time than that.

Also keep in mind that regular store bought rollerblades have the wheels that do not make an arc or blade radius. They are setupo like speed skates with no rocker.

I am going to try and see if i can get an ice skate boot with roller hockey wheel holders or whatever those are called that roller hockey guys use. You can have a radius which I assume would help while skating as opposed to a flat speed skater style. Then agin if i am only doing laps I don't think it will matter much for myself if i have regular rollerblades.

Good luck anyway and have fun!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
cmdrdredd

I do inline skating and it hasn't hurt me at all. In fact it has helped me get a more powerful stride, endurance, and proper stance. Sure stopping isn't the same, but it comes natural for me to stop one way on inline skates and a different way on the ice. I don't think about it. Maybe it's a mental thing to want to do a hockey stop. I grew up inline skating in South FL and the transition to ice was not hard. Recently I started inline again and I've gotten faster and smoother on the ice both in my stride and turns.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
LarryO

I grew up ice skating so the first time I tried inlines, I instinctively did an ice hockey stop and fell on my face. It was the fastest way to learn not to do that, and never did again. But I started to play roller hockey each summer and more or less learned the proper technique for inline hockey stops. If you want inline skates that mimic ice hockey skates, the best choice would be to put Sprung frames on ice hockey boots. I use them and think they're great for practising all the ice techniques except stopping of course.

As far as practising forward-to-backward and backward-to-forward transitions, I've found that it's even better to learn it on inline skates because they are unforgiving of improper technique. On ice skates you can get sloppy and do a bit of sideways sliding during the transitions. You can't do that on inlines, so it forces you to learn the technique perfectly. Then when you use the same technique on ice, you're transitions will be smoother and more efficient.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
You can buy or make a slide board. Google "skating slide board" and there are a lot for sale. I made one for my son for about $40. It helped really be able to push and stride and build his quads.
Great!!!! I wish I did more slide board work. How about the russian box....that seems to really help me with my jump and is hockey specific. All this stuff is great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I do inline skating and it hasn't hurt me at all. In fact it has helped me get a more powerful stride, endurance, and proper stance. Sure stopping isn't the same, but it comes natural for me to stop one way on inline skates and a different way on the ice. I don't think about it. Maybe it's a mental thing to want to do a hockey stop. I grew up inline skating in South FL and the transition to ice was not hard. Recently I started inline again and I've gotten faster and smoother on the ice both in my stride and turns.
THIS

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 03:26 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I grew up ice skating so the first time I tried inlines, I instinctively did an ice hockey stop and fell on my face. It was the fastest way to learn not to do that, and never did again. But I started to play roller hockey each summer and more or less learned the proper technique for inline hockey stops. If you want inline skates that mimic ice hockey skates, the best choice would be to put Sprung frames on ice hockey boots. I use them and think they're great for practising all the ice techniques except stopping of course.

As far as practising forward-to-backward and backward-to-forward transitions, I've found that it's even better to learn it on inline skates because they are unforgiving of improper technique. On ice skates you can get sloppy and do a bit of sideways sliding during the transitions. You can't do that on inlines, so it forces you to learn the technique perfectly. Then when you use the same technique on ice, you're transitions will be smoother and more efficient.
I agree 100%. I play pickup (ice)hockey against a roller hockey guy, and man he's like thunder. Great skating skills on ice too, even though he plays on ice only once a week, joy to watch.

I'll buy rollers for this summer, and see where they take me...

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Yeah the slide boards will be good for you, it is something you can do in your living room.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Badger36

Another thing you can do is to stand in a half crouch (basically the same stance as when skating).
It will help you to build your leg muscles and will get you used to the feeling of keeping some flex in your knees.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM

From stopping to turning... roller has done nothing but hurt my game. I just started playing hockey again after a few month out, tried roller blading for the work out and now I have a tone of bad habits. I guess its good for cross overs and the work out but if I'm playing hockey off ice I would rather play foot hockey.

Foot hockey is great for cardio, building strength in your legs and forces a person to move their legs and hands at the same time. I can't stress how importand it is to stickhandling that a person can move their hands and feet at the same time.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

When I was very young learning how to skate I was told to go up and down the stairs in my house sideways, in the fashion of doing a crossover on skates. This should help get your legs and body used to the motion of crossovers. Make sure you switch up which foot is crossing over, and practice even more on your weaker side.

Hope this helps, although the best way to learn how to skate by far is getting out there on the ice!!

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Do explain how you made one. Id love to have a slide board but after seeing that they cost $250 Id definetly be interested in making my own.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
From stopping to turning... roller has done nothing but hurt my game. I just started playing hockey again after a few month out, tried roller blading for the work out and now I have a tone of bad habits. I guess its good for cross overs and the work out but if I'm playing hockey off ice I would rather play foot hockey.

Foot hockey is great for cardio, building strength in your legs and forces a person to move their legs and hands at the same time. I can't stress how importand it is to stickhandling that a person can move their hands and feet at the same time.
It's in your head I think. I haven't had any problems.

Old
03-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
It's in your head I think. I haven't had any problems.
I picked up roller a few years ago after not playing hockey at all for like 10 years, since I was 8 or so. Then went to college and started just playing pickups and intramurals and honestly my rollerblading is hurt more by ice skating rather than the other way around. I find myself still trying to hockey stop and acting as if I have an edge to turn on when I rollerblade now just to name a few specifics. My ice skating however continues to improve while my rollerblading stays stagnant besides from the speed aspects as my muscles gain strngth allowing me to accellerate faster and such.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Do explain how you made one. Id love to have a slide board but after seeing that they cost $250 Id definetly be interested in making my own.

I took a sheet of 1" plywood and ripped it in half (lengthwise). So I ended up with a 2'x8' piece of plywood. I then covered that with a piece of 1/8" masonite. ( the stuff skateboard ramps are covered with) It's a dark brown panel that is slick and finished on one side. People also use it for work bench tops. I glued that down with panel adhesive. For the 2 ends I screwed down a 2"x4" across one end and the other one 6' away. (you'll have to see what distance works best for you) Then I got a thick shag door mat and covered the 2"x4"'s with it for padding to stop against. I also put strips of sticky back door weather stripping on the bottom so I could put it on the wood floor and it wouldn't slide and wreck the floor. Home Depot and Lowes carries everything.

Then just wear socks and push from one side to the other and back. It's great for lengthening your stride and pushing with power. Your feet and quads will be sore after the first time but it will go away.

If you make it 6' it stores pretty easy under a bed.

Hope that explanation was easy enough. PM me if you need more info.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 04:50 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
I do inline skating and it hasn't hurt me at all. In fact it has helped me get a more powerful stride, endurance, and proper stance.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
As far as practising forward-to-backward and backward-to-forward transitions, I've found that it's even better to learn it on inline skates because they are unforgiving of improper technique. On ice skates you can get sloppy and do a bit of sideways sliding during the transitions. You can't do that on inlines, so it forces you to learn the technique perfectly.
I'm glad you made the point that NOT being able to use edges can actually be advantageous for training in some cases.

I am bewildered by some of the previous comments stating that inline skating has actually hindered their progress on ice. I recently began playing ice after playing roller for several years and I am amazed how many guys can't even transition and skate backwards proficiently. I am still learning how to utilize my edges to their full potential, but I believe my roller background has given me a HUGE advantage on the ice compared with others who have no skating background whatsoever.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2010, 12:08 PM
cmdrdredd

Another thing is that in some parts of the country, it's impossible to get on the ice all the time. Take Florida for example. There's never a pond that freezes and you have to go to a rink to practice which isn't free and not open for you to skate on whenever you feel like it. However, grabbing a pair of inline skates and going out is free and can be done year round.

IMO any skating is better than no skating.

Old
03-16-2010, 06:12 AM
GreenPenInk

Been meaning to reply to this for a while. Thanks for the helpful advice.

I looked at that slideboard demo on youtube and was pretty amazed! I am going to try to build the custom home made board you described, thanks btw, if I can't just slide on my hardwood with a couple of weights on two sides lol. We'll see.

I play roller hockey in the summer and I think blading for fun whenever I can will help.

I started skating, first roller then ice, very, very late (19 lol) and it was always something I wanted to do. I hate looking stupid while I'm learning new things so in an effort to not look like an idiot I looked like even more of an idiot because I was not doing things all out. It's all mental for me so being on the ice/roller blading/being on a slide board as often as I can will help get me out of the bad habits I have ingrained in my head.

I also found that after my first season on the ice I was really frustrated and took a long break and it sort of helped actually. I forgot my limitations and it was like a fresh start except I had a feel for what I was supposed to be doing so I progressed noticeably (to myself anyway.)

GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Renneys Revenge

Quote:
IMO any skating is better than no skating.
totally agree!
also i love being able to just throw on my inline skates and stick handle for 30 min here and there and take shots on my garage. sure its not the saaaame as being on the ice but i dont have to drive to the rink and set aside time to be able to play a little hockey. and with this recent nice weather- all the better!

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote