HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Canucks have the smartest fans

Old
03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
19nazzy

vCash: 500
The Canucks have the smartest fans

According to a vote of 50 NHL players:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...3fid%3d5025311
Quote:
One player wouldn't budge from "Anywhere in Canada," but others were more forthcoming about followers of teams up north. The Canucks faithful get the most praise (32 percent). And in the no-surprise-here category: 42 percent say the City of Brotherly Love has the meanest fans.
---
All the questions are insiders only but you get a paragraph about each one which gives the top and bottom answers. Other interesting ones:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Player
This was a two-person race -- reigning MVP Alex Ovechkin vs. Pens star Sidney Crosby -- but not a particularly close one. Of those who picked one or the other, 73 percent chose Ovi. "He's powerful, skilled and exciting to watch -- just what our game needs," says one Eastern Conference player. On the other hand, 15 guys got votes for most overrated, led by Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo (6 percent).
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Ref
He started skating at 15 months, reffed his first game at 15 years and hit the NHL before Reagan hit the Oval Office. Kerry Fraser, the most senior whistle-blower in the game, is the players' fave (26 percent). "He's consistent and listens to guys," says one wing. Not such a fave? Stephane Auger, who received 20 percent of the worst-ref vote. "He's terrible at everything," says one Eastern Conference center. "Nobody likes him."

03-26-2010, 03:01 PM
digger18

Not surprising that Luongo gets some votes for being the most overrated player in the league.

His results just havn't supported his talent level (consistently enough) during his NHL career.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
VanEric

6% of 50 is 3 people.

If you asked 50 NHL'ers who the best goalie is you'd probably get 3 saying Luongo too.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

"He's terrible at everything" - on Stephane Auger. Wow. Tell us how you really feel!

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
VanEric

It seems like ages ago that Burrows/Auger happened. Remember how worried everyone was about the fallout? There really hasn't been any. I guess that shows what people really think of Auger.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

strange how we could have some of the smartest fans and some of the dumbest media

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
strange how we could have some of the smartest fans and some of the dumbest media
Media isn't dumb, they just try to catch the ire of the masses. So much for having some of the 'smartest' fans.

JOKING, don't worry.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
And interestingly enough, we have a LOT of fans who love to buy into the ridiculous media.

So do we really have the smartest fans?

I think these guys need to check out CDC before saying that.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
GreenPenInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
6% of 50 is 3 people.

If you asked 50 NHL'ers who the best goalie is you'd probably get 3 saying Luongo too.
The math doesn't make sense! If 15 guys got votes and the person who got the most was Luongo at 3 votes, then at most 14 other guys could have gotten 2 votes which adds up to 31... I guess 19 abstained.

GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
6% of 50 is 3 people.

I bet one of them was Patrick Kane

Hedberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
xtr3m

Looks like opposing players are not annoyed at constant Luu's as much as opposing fans. In fact, they think it's smart.

But then again, they considered Luongo most overrated. Something doesn't add up.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:31 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Looks like opposing players are not annoyed at constant Luu's as much as opposing fans. In fact, they think it's smart.

But then again, they considered Luongo most overrated. Something doesn't add up.
Clearly the players think they're booing Luongo.
Meaning they're smart for booing the most overrated player in the league

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Moobles

If Luongo's only got 6% to lead as most overrated, I'd like to see how the other 94% was divided up .

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Stonz

Who is the best fighter?

Derek Boogaard of the Wild is 6'8" and 257 pounds and has scored two goals in the past five seasons. But he's mustered 500-plus penalty minutes over that span -- and now he has 46 percent of our premier-pugilist vote. "There are a lot of tough guys, but Boogaard is the last one I want to mess with," says one Western defenseman. The No. 2 recipient, though, doesn't quite fit the profile. Rick Rypien (20 percent) goes 5'11", 190, is the cousin of former NFL QB Mark and once took a leave of absence because he was struggling mentally with the strain of fighting through injuries. Apparently, fighting other guys is less of a problem. "He has boxing skills, quick hands and protects himself well," says a former first-round draft pick. "Pound-for-pound, he's toughest in the NHL."

Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
It seems like ages ago that Burrows/Auger happened. Remember how worried everyone was about the fallout? There really hasn't been any. I guess that shows what people really think of Auger.
I don't know if I agree with this, I don't think there was any immediate fallout. For about 15 games after the incident I think most Canucks games were called pretty fairly, maybe even favoring the Canucks a little. But for the last 10 or so we have been getting screwed pretty constantly and in some cases pretty hard as well. Just some absurdly blatant stuff that the ref obviously did see that didn't get called. Like Grabners stick getting slashed on the breakaway etc...

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:56 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
I don't know if I agree with this, I don't think there was any immediate fallout. For about 15 games after the incident I think most Canucks games were called pretty fairly, maybe even favoring the Canucks a little. But for the last 10 or so we have been getting screwed pretty constantly and in some cases pretty hard as well. Just some absurdly blatant stuff that the ref obviously did see that didn't get called. Like Grabners stick getting slashed on the breakaway etc...
Totally agree. The Edmonton game was a great example of bad reffing.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Red

"He's terrible at everything". LOL, nice to see Burrows get some backup for his opinion.

The smartest fans thing is hilarious considering how much flack we get on the main board and the delusions Flames fans have about our fanbase. I really don't think we're the smartest fans in the league but it's nice to hear it from the players. The votes on this are probably influenced by both the Olympics and the fact that most people I know watch the last half of an Eastern conference game after work and before a Canucks game at 7pm. I think casual Canucks fans have much more familiarity with players from the East than Leafs fans can have with players from the West simply because of the time difference.

Luongo is has had a terrible season but that 6% is only 3 players out of 50 who think he is the most overrated. And two of them are probably Hawks players.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 09:02 PM
VanEric

Quote:
I don't see that as being targeted against the Canucks. It's just the state of officiating in the NHL these days. The two ref system and a lot of the old guard leaving has resulted in a lot of less experienced officials since the lockout.

Old
03-26-2010, 09:06 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
According to a vote of 50 NHL players:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/insid...3fid%3d5025311

---
All the questions are insiders only but you get a paragraph about each one which gives the top and bottom answers. Other interesting ones:

---
Why do I have a feeling that this won't be the last time I'll be reading that "hater" stat against Luongo?

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Results from the Sports Illustrated poll regarding the same subject the league's most-overrated player will appear in the next issue.
And you know what? Luongo didn't even finish in the Top 15 most overrated. Who did the players pick? Well, that's interesting. See this partial list and more in the next issue of SI, then talk amongst yourselves.

Based on a survey of 272 NHL players, the top five overrated players were:
Dion Phaneuf, Maple Leafs, D........20.6%
Wade Redden, Rangers, D..........6.7%
Scott Gomez, Canadiens, C.........5.8%
Sean Avery, Rangers, L...........5.4%
Shawn Horcoff, Oilers, C...........4.5%
http://communities.canada.com/THEPRO...-says-not.aspx

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
I don't see that as being targeted against the Canucks. It's just the state of officiating in the NHL these days. The two ref system and a lot of the old guard leaving has resulted in a lot of less experienced officials since the lockout.
I watch a fair amount of hockey, and honestly I do see these trends. I am not a homer type of guy. I like good hockey. I like this Canucks team, and I call them my favorite but when they lose I don't exactly have a problem sleeping. I have seen vengeful refs, and although I don't watch as much hockey as I did a decade ago I can still sometimes tell who is reffing based upon which teams are getting screwed. Thats probably a bad sign that there are some vengeful refs out there.

Does anyone remember earlier in the season in a post game interview when Beiska said that one of refs basically told him that he had it in for him?

Thats why Fraser is my favorite ref of all time, he didn't get every call right but I never once looked at him and thought he was trying to screw anyone. He always seemed to me to try to be doing the best job he could. Its really unfortunate hes gonna be done.

Old
03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Luongo is has had a terrible season but that 6% is only 3 players out of 50 who think he is the most overrated. And two of them are probably Hawks players.
I think some of the Luongo hate is probably a result of the whole olympic/glove from above thing. Depending on who you are and what team you play for that could really stick in some players craw.

As for the smartest fan thing, I think you hit that dead on. West coast sports fan definitely have a huge advantage in that we can watch eastern games far more easily then they can watch western games.

Old
03-27-2010, 12:10 AM
VanEric

Quote:
I think some of the Luongo hate is probably a result of the whole olympic/glove from above thing. Depending on who you are and what team you play for that could really stick in some players craw.

As for the smartest fan thing, I think you hit that dead on. West coast sports fan definitely have a huge advantage in that we can watch eastern games far more easily then they can watch western games.
Overrated is subjective too. For example, player x hears often that Luongo is the best goalie in the world. He doesn't think Luongo is any better or worse than the other top goalies in the league therefore he feels Luongo is being overrated.

I could make an argument that Crosby and Ovechkin are overrated. They're pimped as the clear two best players in the game by all the media. I don't see there being as big of a separation between them and others as opposed to when Gretzky was the best player in the game and everyone else was clearly fighting for #2. Therefore Crosby and Ovechkin are overrated.

Old
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Overrated is subjective too. For example, player x hears often that Luongo is the best goalie in the world. He doesn't think Luongo is any better or worse than the other top goalies in the league therefore he feels Luongo is being overrated.

I could make an argument that Crosby and Ovechkin are overrated. They're pimped as the clear two best players in the game by all the media. I don't see there being as big of a separation between them and others as opposed to when Gretzky was the best player in the game and everyone else was clearly fighting for #2. Therefore Crosby and Ovechkin are overrated.
there were a lot of years where Gretzky had company at the top with Lemieux... it's not all that different than Ovechkin/Crosby really.

during most of the 80s it was basically Gretzky, Lemieux and Yzerman... I remember being in hockey pools back then when they would not allow anyone to draft either of those 3 players because they were head and shoulders above anyone else and would tilt the hockey pools too much in favour of the top-3 picks.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:28 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
there were a lot of years where Gretzky had company at the top with Lemieux... it's not all that different than Ovechkin/Crosby really.

during most of the 80s it was basically Gretzky, Lemieux and Yzerman... I remember being in hockey pools back then when they would not allow anyone to draft either of those 3 players because they were head and shoulders above anyone else and would tilt the hockey pools too much in favour of the top-3 picks.
For points, yes but Gretzky was dominating the league with the Oilers. Lemieux didn't win anything until the 90's and Yzerman had that "yeah he gets points but he's a loser" tag forever.