HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Any sharks fans feel optimistic about the playoffs?

Old
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
SalsaShark
keep your head up

vCash: 50
Remember Old Yeller?

No matter how many times you've seen that movie, Yeller still dies. We know the ending, yet we cry anyways.

not this time.

SalsaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:38 AM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaShark View Post
Remember Old Yeller?

No matter how many times you've seen that movie, Yeller still dies. We know the ending, yet we cry anyways.

not this time.
jesus.......its gettin deep in here

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Remember Old Yeller?

not this time.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
druncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
I haven't felt optimistic since Detroit forced overtime in game 4 of the West semis in 06-07, honestly. That felt like a possible "changing of the guard" kind of series, and they dropped the ball.

I'll still jump up and down come April when they score, and take a drag of whiskey when they lose, but I'm not expecting massive success.

Edit: When you look back and realize that this team's best two chances for success occurred right before and after the lockout, you wonder if we won't look back in 10 more years and wonder like Expos fans do about 1994.
i think those two guys have moved on by now.

druncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
SharksFailToClear

Quote:
Remember Old Yeller?

not this time.
SPOILER ALERT

SharksFailToClear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

this could be the magical year...just don't win the presidents trophy...what a jinx!!

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Docter419

Send a message via AIM to Docter419
Quote:
Originally Posted by brototype View Post
SPOILER ALERT

Docter419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:40 PM
CJL182

I haven't really cared about our record all year, but rather about how we're playing going into the playoffs. We haven't played very well against Chicago and Detroit either, so obviously I'm not very optimistic right now. If they can actually "FIX IT!" (I'm in love with that SNL vid with Keenan lol) and get back to playing with some sort of actual defensive system, then I might have hopes of getting out of the 2nd round. There's still time to set things in order, but there isn't much time left.

CJL182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Sleepy

JT needs to get his head right. Having an assist to Setoguchi for every assist to Getzlaf is not a way to win a series. If TM thinks the turnovers are not a problem, he's not the great hockey mind DW thought he was. Clowe is in a rut, I don't care about his earlier point-streak. He looks lost both offensively and defensively and a completely different player than what made him an NHLer. Mitchell is not providing the secondary scoring and speed we thought he would, hopefully he finds his groove come playoff time. Malholtra, Nichol, and Marleau have been the bright spots. Pavelski is hot-and-cold, hopefully the hotness shows up for playoffs.

On D... well, we need a full healthy crew because there's only 4 or 5 guys cutting it right now.
Boyle, Murray and Vlasic look like ok top 4's. (Notice a 4th player is missing from this... because Blake sucks)
Wallin and Demers still look like a good bottom 2, even if they haven't played together.
I can't figure out what Blake brings anymore... a slapshot and 4 PIM?
Huskins is getting outplayed by Leach.
Leach is ok as a #7. Huskins should only be on the expanded roster if Vlasic is healthy.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodq View Post
Not this.

Every game in the NHL is worth 2 points (and some 3, but that's a different discussion all together) whether it's played at the beginning or the end of the season. I really don't think the Sharks plan to fly out of the gate and then coast. I also don't there there are many teams who think the early season games aren't as important. I think other teams figure them out. The Sharks are notorious for sticking to their "game" even when it doesn't work.

Just like an animal when cornered, bubble teams get desperate and it pays off sometimes.

Just like how retard strength can beat skill sometimes... same exact thing.
I think he has a point in that the Sharks aren't in that win or die mode. However, it isn't because they start of fast and cool off. Towards the end of the season, bubble teams of course play with more fire. Other teams pick it up as well; it becomes more like playoff hockey with tight checking and more energy shift-to-shift. And San Jose cannot thrive in that kind of system. It isn't that others figure San Jose out, it is just playing a tight, physical, disciplined game will generally beat a team who hasn't heard of those three things. The core of the Sharks lacks those qualities, and that is what hurts team.

You have a point in that the Sharks need to change their system, but it isn't like all other teams change their system during the playoffs. They just make some minor tweaks. San Jose also makes those tweaks. The issue is that the central core is rotten, it doesn't have a foundation where upon playoff success can be found.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:25 PM
sjsharklover

[QUOTE=nodq;24566808]Not this.

Quote:
I really don't think the Sharks plan to fly out of the gate and then coast

I am not saying that is their intention. I am saying that when its crunch time the Sharks dont show up. Its happened the last 2 years and it is happening again. Maybe I am saying this because I hope I am wrong but there is no fire no sense of urgency. Anaheim had it last year and they kicked our butt. whoever we play in the 1st round will have it as well and how will we react . I will tell you, we will hear excuses after the games with everyone but Boyle saying something like" we just couldnt get our legs moving or we just lacked that intensity but we are not worried because its only one game (two games , or its not over til its over) This team needs to Wake up because this will happen again and we will be out again with another long summer.

Also just for the record I hate when people say we will be ok as long as we just dont play Detroit in the 1st round . Or we would have been ok if we just Didnt play Anaheim when they were hot.....Excuses Excuses....If any team is to win the cup they will have to play 4 different teams and all of those teams deserve to be there . It shouldnt matter who we play . If we are good enough it shouldnt even phase us. I would rather them have a challenge like Detroit in the 1st and overcome it to toughen them up......These Sharks are not mentally tough enough to win it all....

Sorry just stating the obvious

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
2 regulation losses and one OTL. Watch out! The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:38 PM
sjsharklover

Overreacting maybe I agree, but the same posts were written last year about how they dont have it. (ever since last February is when they looked bad before the Anaheim series) and looked what happened...nothing will be different this year...Even the players who came here the last couple years to try to help said these guys dont have that fire ...

Who is the leader ?
Who is going to step up besides Boyle? (and Boyle is not perfect but he calls it like he sees it)

One comment I heard on TV I believe was that they are tired because all these games in a short amount of time.. They have to realize that all teams are playing the same crazy schedule this year.

Last edited by sjsharklover: 03-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old
03-18-2010, 04:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
Overreacting maybe I agree, but the same posts were written last year about how they dont have it. (ever since last February is when they looked bad before the Anaheim series) and looked what happened...nothing will be different this year...Even the players who came here the last couple years to try to help said these guys dont have that fire ...

Who is the leader ?
Who is going to step up besides Boyle? (and Boyle is not perfect but he calls it like he sees it)

One comment I heard on TV I believe was that they are tired because all these games in a short amount of time.. They have to realize that all teams are playing the same crazy schedule this year.
All the other teams didn't send 5 Olympians to the gold medal game.

Blackhawks sent a bunch and they are boning it up pretty bad right now too.

Anaheim too..

hrmm

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:01 PM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
All the other teams didn't send 5 Olympians to the gold medal game.

Blackhawks sent a bunch and they are boning it up pretty bad right now too.

Anaheim too..

hrmm
Good point but that doesnt explain why the non Olympians are stinking it up too

and with no real rest in sight is that going to be our excuse when we get eliminated

Old
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
Good point but that doesnt explain why the non Olympians are stinking it up too

and with no real rest in sight is that going to be our excuse when we get eliminated
I wasn't really explaining anything, just being snarky.

There is no excuse for the crapfest they've been putting on.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:45 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
After falling down 2-0 to one of the worst scoring teams in the league tonight, I'm feeling like this team is going nowhere this postseason.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Thizzordie010

i love how when the team finally goes on a losing streak, all fans instantly ***** and moan how how much we lose. Get over yourself. If your a true fan, you will support and stick by your team. Yes, i do know we are on a tough slump an D and Goalie situation is shaky, but maybe were saving something for the playoffs. Frankly i think the only team in the league that on paper is better than the Sharks is the Caps.

I for one will still have faith for our Sharks.

Thizzordie010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

They are really tired right now so I am waiting for the playoffs to start.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
The bottom line is that this team is not as good as we all think it is.

Talent wise, there are way too many holes on the roster to even think about the Stanley Cup Finals. I will be surprised if the Sharks make it past the 1st round.

Huskins, Leach, Vallin, Murray, and Blake are all below average defensemen. None of them are capable of helping out on offense. Huskins is soft in his own zone and in front of the net but is on our number 1 PK line with Blake, who is so slow you'd think he turned 50 this year instead of 40. Both of these guys are liabilities, but they are out there again and again on the PK because we don't have anybody else to put out there except for Boyle, who is already playing damn near half the game.

Vallin and Murray don't contribute much at all. Occasional hit here and there, but they are so slow and awkward that they can't even sell out for hits because they will never make up for lost ground. Neither contribute on offense.

Leach...More like Lurch. Slow, doesn't contribute, but does try to play smart. Which is commendable, but this is the NHL, and more is expected. Once again, he is too big and too damn slow.

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell anybody can convince me that the Sharks are a more complete team than the Blackhawks and Canucks. And I'd argue that the Wings and Flames are both built better for the playoffs as well.

Too many liabilities on defense, not enough contributors = Round 1 exit.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Who is Vallin?

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Who is Vallin?
Wasn't that the name of Liam Neeson's character in Gangs Of New York?

I wish that guy was on our blueline.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
The bottom line is that this team is not as good as we all think it is.

Talent wise, there are way too many holes on the roster to even think about the Stanley Cup Finals. I will be surprised if the Sharks make it past the 1st round.

Huskins, Leach, Vallin, Murray, and Blake are all below average defensemen. None of them are capable of helping out on offense. Huskins is soft in his own zone and in front of the net but is on our number 1 PK line with Blake, who is so slow you'd think he turned 50 this year instead of 40. Both of these guys are liabilities, but they are out there again and again on the PK because we don't have anybody else to put out there except for Boyle, who is already playing damn near half the game.

Vallin and Murray don't contribute much at all. Occasional hit here and there, but they are so slow and awkward that they can't even sell out for hits because they will never make up for lost ground. Neither contribute on offense.

Leach...More like Lurch. Slow, doesn't contribute, but does try to play smart. Which is commendable, but this is the NHL, and more is expected. Once again, he is too big and too damn slow.

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell anybody can convince me that the Sharks are a more complete team than the Blackhawks and Canucks. And I'd argue that the Wings and Flames are both built better for the playoffs as well.

Too many liabilities on defense, not enough contributors = Round 1 exit.
.......so your saying we still have a chance?

03-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Who is Vallin?
Exactly. When he does something to contribute, maybe I'll remember how to spell his name.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Exactly. When he does something to contribute, maybe I'll remember how to spell his name.
I agree, Improvision.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote