HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any sharks fans feel optimistic about the playoffs?

Old
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM
nbbyfan20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thizzordie010 View Post
i love how when the team finally goes on a losing streak, all fans instantly ***** and moan how how much we lose. Get over yourself. If your a true fan, you will support and stick by your team. Yes, i do know we are on a tough slump an D and Goalie situation is shaky, but maybe were saving something for the playoffs. Frankly i think the only team in the league that on paper is better than the Sharks is the Caps.

I for one will still have faith for our Sharks.
We aren't giving up at all. I've stuck with this team since 1998, ( thats when I first liked Hockey), so why would I stop on them now?

The losing streak doesn't bother us, its the timing of this losing streak. Its the big time players not showing up at this time of the year, its been happening every year since 2004. ITs Joe Thornton playing with no Intensity and just wants to float around. Its Patrick Marleau not playing like he gives a S*** . And I think the Hawks are better.

And it seems like Nabokov has lost all his confidence since the Russia game
why Russia? WHHYYY??!!

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
We aren't giving up at all.
There is a large number of 'fans' here who have actually.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
There is a misunderstanding about angry fans. Some think that means they aren't 'real' fans. It's apathy, not anger that defines a non-fan. An angry fan is hurt by a loss, and cares passionately about his/her team. Giving up (apathetic fans) would be defined by empty seats and a vacant forum. I don't think anyone here has given up on their team. They are frustrated. That's an OK thing.

03-20-2010, 12:07 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
There is a misunderstanding about angry fans. Some think that means they aren't 'real' fans. It's apathy, not anger that defines a non-fan. An angry fan is hurt by a loss, and cares passionately about his/her team. Giving up (apathetic fans) would be defined by empty seats and a vacant forum. I don't think anyone here has given up on their team. They are frustrated. That's an OK thing.
Amen, the best fans get really really pissed off when the team plays ******, because they (should I say we?) care deeply about how this team performs and it's aggravating when they're playing poorly.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
You are right, I'm talking about fans who already "know" we're going to lose in the 1st round.

That crap just gets my gears grinding. *shrug* I know I shouldn't let it though...

Old
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
No shortage of chicken littles in the world.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Shape

I think it's safe to say this is the worst we have played all year. I think that can be a good thing though. Seeing as the worst we played the last few years came in April. So it's gotta be good to go through this now rather than 3 weeks from now right? I mean, they can't keep playing this bad for long, there is to much talent on the team. get this ugliness out of the way now plz!

Old
03-20-2010, 12:28 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
I think it's safe to say this is the worst we have played all year. I think that can be a good thing though. Seeing as the worst we played the last few years came in April. So it's gotta be good to go through this now rather than 3 weeks from now right? I mean, they can't keep playing this bad for long, there is to much talent on the team. get this ugliness out of the way now plz!
I honestly think the offense will pick back up, but untl Vlasic returns the defense is scary, and not in a good way. As I said in another thread, it's the worst defensive play we've seen since 02-03, IMHO.

Huskins, Leach, and Blake inspire no confidence whatsoever in their own end.

It certainly is a good thing to go through this now than 3 weeks from now, but even when Vlasic returns, this team really needs to shape up their play in their own end.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I honestly think the offense will pick back up, but untl Vlasic returns the defense is scary, and not in a good way. As I said in another thread, it's the worst defensive play we've seen since 02-03, IMHO.

It certainly is a good thing to go through this now than 3 weeks from now, but even when Vlasic returns, this team really needs to shape up their play in their own end.
Agreed.

And obviously, Nabby is the x-factor. If he can get hot, and the offense returns, watch out. We may make some damage. gee whiz I hope...

Old
03-20-2010, 01:09 PM
SteelReserveGuy

"Phoenix is on a bit of hot streak right now, but we're still first in the Western Conference and if anything, we've got to look at it that way. We're obviously a good hockey team. We've put ourselves into a good position. We just have to get out of this and bounce back." Ryane Clowe

Does that make anyone feel more optimistic? To me it sounds like the sharks are more lackadaisical than ever

SteelReserveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
2 regulation losses and one OTL. Watch out! The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!
Welp, it isn't looking any better now... Sure, it's the regular season and doesn't really matter and all, but I'd be happier if we were playing well. For what it's worth, many people external to the Sharks fanbase just don't think this team has it this year, and they're not even citing the playoff failures of the past... they just think our player mix is off. Defense is slow, Nabby is inconsistent and getting older, etc etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReserveGuy View Post
"Phoenix is on a bit of hot streak right now, but we're still first in the Western Conference and if anything, we've got to look at it that way. We're obviously a good hockey team. We've put ourselves into a good position. We just have to get out of this and bounce back." Ryane Clowe

Does that make anyone feel more optimistic? To me it sounds like the sharks are more lackadaisical than ever
Losing streaks are hard, seasons are long. You can't expect the guys to give fiery speeches to the media every single game. We're now at 5 straight, and last game Clowe was very vocal to the media about how crappy they're playing. You do whatever you need to do to get out of a streak like this... As McLellan said, some guys need kicks, some guys need hugs.

Comments like this don't bother me, what bothers me is the play on the ice. And the play on the ice is speaking for itself.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
SteelReserveGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Losing streaks are hard, seasons are long. You can't expect the guys to give fiery speeches to the media every single game. We're now at 5 straight, and last game Clowe was very vocal to the media about how crappy they're playing. You do whatever you need to do to get out of a streak like this... As McLellan said, some guys need kicks, some guys need hugs.

Comments like this don't bother me, what bothers me is the play on the ice. And the play on the ice is speaking for itself.
That's true, but don't you think now would be a pretty good time for talking about something other than how good of a team we are?

Old
03-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Shape

Quote:
For what it's worth, many people external to the Sharks fanbase just don't think this team has it this year, and they're not even citing the playoff failures of the past...
Good.

We have been expected to make the Cup the last 4/5 years. I like that we're not expected to this season, even with our record.

edit. actually, remembering a thread I saw on the main boards a week or so ago, a lot of people are picking the sharks to go deep this year. damnit. what are they, ritards!? they're obviously just looking at our record.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReserveGuy View Post
That's true, but don't you think now would be a pretty good time for talking about something other than how good of a team we are?
They know they're playing badly. Maybe they need a hug.

Quote:
Good.

We have been expected to make the Cup the last 4/5 years. I like that we're not expected to this season, even with our record.
I was more concerned that lots of people who watch lots of hockey don't think this team has it - e.g., they might be right. As opposed to being "under the radar" or something. At this point I'd rather be a surging underdog than a top-team-on-decline. But we're #2 and not #1 and we're certainly not a "force to be reckoned with" team like the Blackhawks sans defense injuries.

Sigh. It's amazing that even with all the points and records and career high scoring from Marleau etc. that I still don't have faith we're going to put together a deep run this year.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
SteelReserveGuy

Quote:
They know they're playing badly. Maybe they need a hug.

I was more concerned that lots of people who watch lots of hockey don't think this team has it - e.g., they might be right. As opposed to being "under the radar" or something. At this point I'd rather be a surging underdog than a top-team-on-decline. But we're #2 and not #1 and we're certainly not a "force to be reckoned with" team like the Blackhawks sans defense injuries.
That's the thing, a division winner can't really qualify as flying "under the radar." When you're leading your division despite playing badly, the reason that others don't consider you a cup contender is more likely attributable to underperforming.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Shape

Quote:

Sigh. It's amazing that even with all the points and records and career high scoring from Marleau etc. that I still don't have faith we're going to put together a deep run this year.
Totally understand where you're coming from.

I damn myself every year. I'm a glass half full guy. So I have faith. Which usually sucks with this team because you just get set up for disappointment. I will always have faith and hope for that magical year, regardless. Pretty boring otherwise, imo. No fun in looking forward to failure..

Old
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:

and murray and boyle and wallin.

Murray is overmatched, Boyle is working too hard trying to do too much and Wallin is doing what he can but he's not a top 4 anymore.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Every offense will go through slumps and struggle with scoring from time to time, the mistakes that the defensemen have been making on a consistent basis though (positioning, lack of communication, turnovers, passive in front of their own net and on the boards) is extremely worrying. Especially considering the playoffs bring an entirely different level of intensity with each and every single shift.

Improvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Totally understand where you're coming from.

I damn myself every year. I'm a glass half full guy. So I have faith. Which usually sucks with this team because you just get set up for disappointment. I will always have faith and hope for that magical year, regardless. Pretty boring otherwise, imo. No fun in looking forward to failure..
I don't look at teams with optimism or pessimism. I base my judgment and predictions on effort and execution, not on whether I "believe" in them or not.

My family has had season tickets since in the inaugural season. I've been going to games since I was 5 years old. I am not the most positive fan, but I roll my eyes at anyone who labels me a "hater" or a "non-believer" simply because I am a realist.

This team has serious holes right now on defense and is not even close to playing as a cohesive unit to make it through 3 rounds of the playoffs. How anyone can argue that is beyond me.

Is it fixable? Perhaps, but right now they haven't shown much to boost my confidence in them. Sometimes it's not all about effort or heart and it really does just come down to talent. I am definitely questioning whether or not this team has enough talent to go all the way, and I think my doubts are warranted considering the guys we have on defense right now.

Old
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
shoot the puck

I think it was coach constantine who once yelled at the fans why they were applauding and cheering the team when they just lost and played like crap..

shoot the puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:01 PM
ISharkted

The root of the Sharks problems?

I am sure many of the people who post here grew up playing sports, probably many of you continue to play sports. While I never did more with hockey than pick-up inline hockey, I think my theory holds true whether we are talking basketball, football, baseball or *insert team sport here*. If your team leaders, stars, talented players seem disinterested, I think it is hard to "get up" for the game. I'd argue that in the case of paid sports, there would have to be some resentment, no? If Jumbo is making X million per year and you are making the league minimum, wouldn't that grate on you? I mean Jed has considerably less natural talent than Jumbo, but Jed gets scratched over someone who seems so disconnected.

Jumbo - leader, no passion... golly gee guess we came up short again. Patty - seemingly emotionless as well. Nabokov - seemingly emotionless. I think you would be hard pressed to argue that on paper at least, these are the big three of the Sharks. If they are given a free pass, year after year, to not show up, what kind of a message does that send to the rest of the team?

I have been a Sharks fan since their inception, and living on the east coast practically my entire life, always being a visiting fan and supporting the team - this gets old. I miss the less talented teams of the 90's that played with heart. Ok I digress... back to my point. Sadly, (and I sincerely hope I can eat crow on this) I do not think this team will take it to the next level until 2 of those 3 are gone. If the failboat sinks again this year in the playoffs, maybe we can be rid of Nabby for next year. I see Jumbo as the next piece to go. Sign Patty for a home town friendly deal, let him retire as a Shark. Trade Jumbo while he still has value. Getting a top defense in exchange for him would be great. Taking away the salaries of Jumbo, Crapbokov, and ancient Blake we could undertake a mini retooling.

Rant done .... frustrated.

ISharkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
I don't look at teams with optimism or pessimism. I base my judgment and predictions on effort and execution, not on whether I "believe" in them or not.

My family has had season tickets since in the inaugural season. I've been going to games since I was 5 years old. I am not the most positive fan, but I roll my eyes at anyone who labels me a "hater" or a "non-believer" simply because I am a realist.

This team has serious holes right now on defense and is not even close to playing as a cohesive unit to make it through 3 rounds of the playoffs. How anyone can argue that is beyond me.

Is it fixable? Perhaps, but right now they haven't shown much to boost my confidence in them. Sometimes it's not all about effort or heart and it really does just come down to talent. I am definitely questioning whether or not this team has enough talent to go all the way, and I think my doubts are warranted considering the guys we have on defense right now.
Can I just give you a kiss right now?

Well said. You didn't throw the team under the bus and deem it impossible, but laid out varied points in which the team lacks. Shame on you.

I pretty much agree 100%, except, the optimist I am, I do think we can go far. IMO, I see flaws that can be fixed. Wether they fix them or not,we shall see!

Last edited by Shape: 03-20-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old
03-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Improvise
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISharkted View Post
The root of the Sharks problems?

I am sure many of the people who post here grew up playing sports, probably many of you continue to play sports. While I never did more with hockey than pick-up inline hockey, I think my theory holds true whether we are talking basketball, football, baseball or *insert team sport here*. If your team leaders, stars, talented players seem disinterested, I think it is hard to "get up" for the game. I'd argue that in the case of paid sports, there would have to be some resentment, no? If Jumbo is making X million per year and you are making the league minimum, wouldn't that grate on you? I mean Jed has considerably less natural talent than Jumbo, but Jed gets scratched over someone who seems so disconnected.

Jumbo - leader, no passion... golly gee guess we came up short again. Patty - seemingly emotionless as well. Nabokov - seemingly emotionless. I think you would be hard pressed to argue that on paper at least, these are the big three of the Sharks. If they are given a free pass, year after year, to not show up, what kind of a message does that send to the rest of the team?

I have been a Sharks fan since their inception, and living on the east coast practically my entire life, always being a visiting fan and supporting the team - this gets old. I miss the less talented teams of the 90's that played with heart. Ok I digress... back to my point. Sadly, (and I sincerely hope I can eat crow on this) I do not think this team will take it to the next level until 2 of those 3 are gone. If the failboat sinks again this year in the playoffs, maybe we can be rid of Nabby for next year. I see Jumbo as the next piece to go. Sign Patty for a home town friendly deal, let him retire as a Shark. Trade Jumbo while he still has value. Getting a top defense in exchange for him would be great. Taking away the salaries of Jumbo, Crapbokov, and ancient Blake we could undertake a mini retooling.

Rant done .... frustrated.
Why is it that so many Sharks fans assume the players are emotionless and don't care whenever they hit a slump?

Why can't losing ever just come down to the entire teams ability to execute and play together?

In hockey it takes much more of a team effort to win a championship than any sport you mentioned because 5 new guys take the stage every minute or two. In no other sport does that happen.

It's completely ridiculous to start questioning the heart and passion these guys have every single time things aren't clicking. Nobody was questioning their heart or effort a month ago, do you think they just all of a sudden stopped caring about winning? Just as the season is winding down? After all that they've been through? Doesn't make any sense man.

The stars and roleplayers know their roles. Everyone must put in the effort, but much more than that, everyone needs to contribute and play much smarter and together.

They just aren't playing as a complete team right now. Guys are not on the same page. You see it in their passing when they try to bullet a pass through the neutral zone that is intercepted. You see it in their cycling when they kick it back to the point or down low and there is nobody there. You see it in their own end when everybody on the ice fails to notice the opposing teams winger wide open for a backdoor pass.

I also don't think constantly juggling the lines right now is the best way to go about fixing this. I really think these guys need to get back to playing with the linemates they are most familiar with.

Watching that Vancouver game was an eye opener because you could just tell that the Canucks knew where they all were on the ice. They were all on the same page and going where they needed to go before the Sharks could figure out where they were going. Their passing, cycling, and puck control in our zone was beautiful. Felt like they were on a power play at times when it was 5-5.

I felt the same way in the two beatdowns Chicago gave us this year. They were just playing so well together. Each and every line was clicking.

The Sharks have played like that at times this year. It's just not clicking right now and it's due to a lack of talent and experience, in my opinion.

Quote:
Can I just give you a kiss right now?

Well said. You didn't throw the team under the bus and deem it impossible, but laid out varied points in which the team lacks. Shame on you.

I pretty much agree 100%, except, the optimist I am, I do think we can go far. IMO, I see flaws that can be fixed. Wether they fix them or not,we shall see!
If there is one reoccurring problem that seems to happen every season it is the horrid passing. This team lacks quality passers, especially on the defense, and for two reasons:

1) They are slow and don't handle the puck well. When a Murray/Leach/Wallin/Blake gets a puck at the blue line they have to either dump it back down low or fling a puck toward the net that usually misfires or gets blocked. They don't have the ability to protect the puck by skating or deking because they lack the mobility and control.

2) They aren't good passers. No other way to put it really. Some have the skill, some don't. Leach/Murray/Wallin/Blake do not.

This really hurts them in their own zone because they are constantly turning the puck over, and it hurts them on offense because they aren't able to maintain possession in the opposing zone. Our forwards can't be expected to cycle or generate offense without help from the back 2.

Old
03-20-2010, 06:12 PM
ISharkted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improvise View Post
Why is it that so many Sharks fans assume the players are emotionless and don't care whenever they hit a slump?

Why can't losing ever just come down to the entire teams ability to execute and play together?

In hockey it takes much more of a team effort to win a championship than any sport you mentioned because 5 new guys take the stage every minute or two. In no other sport does that happen.

It's completely ridiculous to start questioning the heart and passion these guys have every single time things aren't clicking. Nobody was questioning their heart or effort a month ago, do you think they just all of a sudden stopped caring about winning? Just as the season is winding down? After all that they've been through? Doesn't make any sense man.

The stars and roleplayers know their roles. Everyone must put in the effort, but much more than that, everyone needs to contribute and play much smarter and together.

They just aren't playing as a complete team right now. Guys are not on the same page. You see it in their passing when they try to bullet a pass through the neutral zone that is intercepted. You see it in their cycling when they kick it back to the point or down low and there is nobody there. You see it in their own end when everybody on the ice fails to notice the opposing teams winger wide open for a backdoor pass.

I also don't think constantly juggling the lines right now is the best way to go about fixing this. I really think these guys need to get back to playing with the linemates they are most familiar with.

Watching that Vancouver game was an eye opener because you could just tell that the Canucks knew where they all were on the ice. They were all on the same page and going where they needed to go before the Sharks could figure out where they were going. Their passing, cycling, and puck control in our zone was beautiful. Felt like they were on a power play at times when it was 5-5.

I felt the same way in the two beatdowns Chicago gave us this year. They were just playing so well together. Each and every line was clicking.

The Sharks have played like that at times this year. It's just not clicking right now and it's due to a lack of talent and experience, in my opinion.

If there is one reoccurring problem that seems to happen every season it is the horrid passing. This team lacks quality passers, especially on the defense, and for two reasons:

1) They are slow and don't handle the puck well. When a Murray/Leach/Wallin/Blake gets a puck at the blue line they have to either dump it back down low or fling a puck toward the net that usually misfires or gets blocked. They don't have the ability to protect the puck by skating or deking because they lack the mobility and control.

2) They aren't good passers. No other way to put it really. Some have the skill, some don't. Leach/Murray/Wallin/Blake do not.

This really hurts them in their own zone because they are constantly turning the puck over, and it hurts them on offense because they aren't able to maintain possession in the opposing zone. Our forwards can't be expected to cycle or generate offense without help from the back 2.
Valid points.... I can see that. This just feels all too familiar.

ISharkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I've made a few comments about the defensive play of the defensemen. There is a part of me that thinks the coaching staff is failing to adjust their game to their current horrible D corps (i.e., when your D sucks you play a boring style, something close to a neutral zone trap game with 1 forechecker only).

OTOH, there is an argument that with Vlasic coming back, the coaching staff should stick to same system even if the losses rack up until Vlasic comes back, since that is how they will play in the playoffs if everyone is healthy and the coaching staff should stick with the same system.

I sincerely hope when Vlasic is back and 100% that Blake goes to the bottom pairing. He's not helping much offensively and his defensive play has been below average. And Jay Leach needs to hit the bench once Vlasic is back.

With Vlasic back and 100%, I think the top 4 should be Boyle, Vlasic, Murray, and Wallin. Two pairings out of that four, probably Boyle - Wallin and Vlasic - Murray.

Then have the bottom pairing Huskins - Blake or in the playoffs consider going Demers - Blake.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote