HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whitney's attitude

Old
03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
To all the people that were cursing about this trade, has anyone changed their mind about Whitney? This is the type of attitude that this team needs. I don't know if it is specific players, but whoever they are, they should be gone...Gagner included
I'm seeing a lot of people making remarks towards Gags.. I must have missed something. Why is Gags being blamed for a piss poor attitude ? Or is this sarcasm. I cant tell anymore. Gagner has been playing very well the last 15 games so I hope its sarcasm.. that and him being still very very young.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Arcane

We should trade Gagner and his poor attitude to New York for Montoya.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_Liner View Post
seen it before..

the new guy comes in, all "rah-rah" during the honey moon stage, then fades, and eventually can't wait to get out..
Seen it before ?

When was the last time a new guy comes into Edmonton and says it like it is only to disappear. I have not seen it yet.. Can you give an example please of whom you are referring to when you say you have seen it before..

Old
03-17-2010, 05:09 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
No way new york does that, maybe Gagner + our first.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Oiler11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
I find it really refreshing, did any of you manage to catch his comments after the game last night?

If not he basically called out the current mentality of the whole team. He said that the Oilers locker room has a loser's attitude and spend too much time going "woe is me" when they get scored on. He basically called the team a bunch of sissies that have to man up

I'll try to find the sounds clip from the interview (it was done on CHED).

Like I said befor I find him calling the team out really refreshing and hopefully his winning attitude rubs off on everyone in the locker room.

Easy to talk the talk. Unless he plans to back it up on the ice, he may have just alienated himself from the rest of the group. He's here for 2 weeks and he's already throwing teammates under the bus? That for sure is something he should have kept in the room. He's lived with crap goaltending and bad turnovers for all of 8 games, and suddenly, he's got the answers?

This is just more bad mojo for the dressing room.

All I know is he better be a monster for the last 13 games to prove he can walk the walk.

Oiler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Montoya isnt on the Rangers anymore

Montoya IS the Rangers

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I'm seeing a lot of people making remarks towards Gags.. I must have missed something. Why is Gags being blamed for a piss poor attitude ? Or is this sarcasm. I cant tell anymore. Gagner has been playing very well the last 15 games so I hope its sarcasm.. that and him being still very very young.
I wasn't blaming Gagner for any poor atttitude, I just used him as an example. I realise he is one Oiler that has a good attitude, I used him specifically because I wanted to relay the point that anyone who can possibly be a cancer in that room must go. I was trying to use reverse psychology there, but it has apparently backfired and caused a **** storm of confusion and high speed "poster collisions". May the Gods of Hockey Boards frown down on this day and strike me with a lightening bolt...I will never be forgiven now...I'll be banished from boards all across the interweb and laughed at in the streets, at games, and at concerts.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:27 PM
John Hancock

Wow. Just wow.

Lots of praise for Whitney in this thread. I bet if Horcoff or Moreau spoke to the media about how this team was a bunch of whiners who make a bunch of nothing plays and can't handle the stress of going down by even one goal... they'd be flamed until the thread was closed by the moderators.

Odd how Whitney gets praised, but Moreau and Horcoff would be "lacking personal responsibility" if they called out the team like this.

Personally, I think these aren't comments Whitney has any business making. He's not in a position of authority, and he's new to the team. He shouldn't be speaking to the media in this way. Only GM's, coaches, and -very rarely- team captains should ever speak this way about their own team. The new kid on the block has no right to judge until he's walked a mile in the shoes. It's only been, what, 5 games for Whitney?

I'm disappointed in him, to speak this disrespectfully about a team he's been a part of for so short a time.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Wow. Just wow.

Lots of praise for Whitney in this thread. I bet if Horcoff or Moreau spoke to the media about how this team was a bunch of whiners who make a bunch of nothing plays and can't handle the stress of going down by even one goal... they'd be flamed until the thread was closed by the moderators.

Odd how Whitney gets praised, but Moreau and Horcoff would be "lacking personal responsibility" if they called out the team like this.

Personally, I think these aren't comments Whitney has any business making. He's not in a position of authority, and he's new to the team. He shouldn't be speaking to the media in this way. Only GM's, coaches, and -very rarely- team captains should ever speak this way about their own team. The new kid on the block has no right to judge until he's walked a mile in the shoes. It's only been, what, 5 games for Whitney?

I'm disappointed in him, to speak this disrespectfully about a team he's been a part of for so short a time.

-JH.
Hopefully he will fit in with the other losers soon. Moreau has thrown his teammates under the bus. Repeatedly. I dont think his comments are out of line at all.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

-JH.
No, the problem is the players you mentioned NEVER take responsibility (well, Horcoff has recently). Moreau is by far the WORST captain this team has had since Corson. Moreau's even blamed the fans several times this season, not to mention his own teammates.

Moreau wouldn't get so much heat if he acted like Whitney... like a captain.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

-JH.
Taking a small portion of your team (the younger players/goalies) and criticising them without taking responsibility as Captain of the team is a whole lotta different than what Whitney said. Whitney's comments are far more effective because he has been here for such a short time and hasn't fallen into the loser mentality that too many Oilers have at this point

Old
03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
I wasn't blaming Gagner for any poor atttitude, I just used him as an example. I realise he is one Oiler that has a good attitude, I used him specifically because I wanted to relay the point that anyone who can possibly be a cancer in that room must go. I was trying to use reverse psychology there, but it has apparently backfired and caused a **** storm of confusion and high speed "poster collisions". May the Gods of Hockey Boards frown down on this day and strike me with a lightening bolt...I will never be forgiven now...I'll be banished from boards all across the interweb and laughed at in the streets, at games, and at concerts.
I wasn't so much accusing you of anything I was just thinking maybe you knew something I didn't.. and I wanted to be in the know as well. Your not the only one who mentioned Gagner having this alleged attitude, I just didn't want to create a huge multi-quote-post.

Edit:

There is too much sarcasm going around the last little while its hard to discern what is real.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

-JH.
In all seriousness, I feel this way too.

I'll add that it's one thing to call out a team on the edge of a playoff spot, for motivation, but it's an entirely different one to call out a team so far entrenched in last place.

edit: and Vagabond, I think I can speak for everyone in here when I say the Gagner stuff was in good fun

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:47 PM
StellaArtois881199
Bring Back #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Did anyone else notice the second Moreau came back the team (especially the young players) started to slouch and play like losers?

I'm happy there's a player who's willing to call out the rest of his teammates. It's been a long time since there was a player on this team who was willing to hold the rest of his teammates accountable for their horrendous play. The current captain never has.
The current captain has always been quick to call-out anybody besides himself. Even though a lot of his comments may have been taken out of context, you cannot put yourself in those situations.
I miss Jason Smith.

StellaArtois881199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Oiler11

Quote:
Taking a small portion of your team (the younger players/goalies) and criticising them without taking responsibility as Captain of the team is a whole lotta different than what Whitney said. Whitney's comments are far more effective because he has been here for such a short time and hasn't fallen into the loser mentality that too many Oilers have at this point
It's one thing to make those comments, another to make them to the press. It should be a teammate trying to point the ship in the right direction - instead it comes off as finger-pointing - all because he went to the press.

Oiler11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I wasn't so much accusing you of anything I was just thinking maybe you knew something I didn't.. and I wanted to be in the know as well. Your not the only one who mentioned Gagner having this alleged attitude, I just didn't want to create a huge multi-quote-post.

Edit:

There is too much sarcasm going around the last little while its hard to discern what is real.
I know you weren't accusing me, that's all good. Like I said though, I just used Gags as a psychological ploy to embellish the fact that I have no idear who is the cancer....maybe it's Deslauriers.......3.......2.......1

Old
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:

-JH.
Totally agree. Its easy to judge when you haven't been mired in the muck all season. I'm sure the team needs a whole lot of attitude adjustments but commenting on it in the media isn't the way to go about being an advocate for change. It's something best done by example and not with your lips.

and on another note....I heard that Gagner started calling him "Not Ray" and that's why Whitney got pissed off.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

-JH.
I definitely see where you're coming from, but i didnt get the sense that he was throwing anyone under the bus, i feel he was just answering the question given.

It wasnt like he said a players name, he said "we" as a team, including himself. He's just giving us insight into whats going on, and saying what needs to change.

he basically said, when we get scored on we seem to figure its over when we should be playing our best to catch up, and its something we need to work on.

Thats really no different than gilberts interview the other night about needing to tighten up defensively, its just a general thing to say to improve your game imo.

Its not like he went looking to the press for this, he just answered the questions given to him.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdhanju View Post
The current captain has always been quick to call-out anybody besides himself. Even though a lot of his comments may have been taken out of context, you cannot put yourself in those situations.
I miss Jason Smith.
As do I. My seats are right behind the bench, and I could always hear Gator on the bench talking to the players. I rarely heard Moreau, and when I did, he was complaining to either Horcoff, Staios, or Pisani about what was going on. He's been an absolute disaster as captain and has played a huge role in the dressing room rift.

I was so happy on deadline day when NO ONE wanted him or his ******** attitude. It showed what his true value is. NOTHING.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
No you mentioned gagner!
He's now set up to be the next whipping boy.

Step 1:
You innocently mention his name in this example, somebody defends him saying "Gagner isnt like that" Even though you didnt mean to accuse gagner.

Step 2: An uninformed poster or a troll takes this bit of info and argues against the person in step 1, either because they read to much into what other people say, or they want to get a rise out of the other poster.

Step 3: People start believeing what the troll is talking about and taking his side.

Step 4: People who arent smart enough to think for themselves begin to backup the troll and people that believe him because they dont want to be in the minority and eventually convinces themselves its all true.

Step 5: The smart posters who know its not true are now in the minority and are considers trolls or "Gagner defenders" and nobody takes their opinion seriously.

Step 6: Gagner does even the slightest thing wrong (Gets an injury, sub par season etc) and the boards explode with trade gagner threads and the reason is because he was a cancer all along and part of the reason the team was doing bad.

Step 7: Run Gags out of town for crap and be mad we didnt get a very good return.

Sorry i have alot of free time, and its slow around here lately...
Or someone can highlight certain parts of the post to project a message to the subconcious of the herd minded.

Last edited by reginaoil: 03-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.
reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler11 View Post
It's one thing to make those comments, another to make them to the press. It should be a teammate trying to point the ship in the right direction - instead it comes off as finger-pointing - all because he went to the press.
I don't think he went to the press, he just answered a question. Now Sean Avery, HE went to the press

Old
03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
alanschu

Quote:
I rarely heard Moreau, and when I did, he was complaining to either Horcoff, Staios, or Pisani about what was going on.
Really?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
Or someone can highlight certain parts of the post to project a message to the subconcious of the herd minded.
Your avatar still freaks me out though

Old
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
As do I. My seats are right behind the bench, and I could always hear Gator on the bench talking to the players. I rarely heard Moreau, and when I did, he was complaining to either Horcoff, Staios, or Pisani about what was going on. He's been an absolute disaster as captain and has played a huge role in the dressing room rift.

I was so happy on deadline day when NO ONE wanted him or his ******** attitude. It showed what his true value is. NOTHING.
This is a very strong post, do you have any specifics? It all sounds interesting.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:19 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Your avatar still freaks me out though
I've been told this on the Pitt, Bos and main forum also. Is my hair really that messy?

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote