HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whitney's attitude

Old
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Roamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
I didn't see that interview, but kudos to him for steppin' up and calling a spade a spade.

Souray, although in a bit of a different situation, just kept quiet and asked for a trade this season.... just sayin'.
Didn't Souray basicly say the same thing the previous year and got between MacT and the players?

I figure he's probably fed up with it now since the attitude still hasn't changed.
I don't blame him. If played for the Oilers, I would be happy to be in the NHL, but I would be wishing for a trade for christmas too.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
I've been told this on the Pitt, Bos and main forum also. Is my hair really that messy?
Nope...just your teeth

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
sure did.. i wish they would just laraque him.
x2. Couldn't agree more.

Narnia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Really?
Yep. He was silent on most nights. But when a goal was let in while he was on the ice, or he got a penalty, it was never his fault. He would blame everything and everybody but himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
This is a very strong post, do you have any specifics? It all sounds interesting.
Gator would skate up and down the bench and always yell at the boys. Not in a bad way, just in a way that would wake them up. He also led by example on the ice. He played hard every shift to show that he wasn't above a hard work ethic and was accountable like everyone else. Moreau doesn't do that. He just sits there and *****es. He doesn't do anything to rally the troops. To be honest, I hear more leadership talk from guys like Stortini.

Moreau, used to be a valuable part of this team. Now he's become a cancer.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I know you weren't accusing me, that's all good. Like I said though, I just used Gags as a psychological ploy to embellish the fact that I have no idear who is the cancer....maybe it's Deslauriers.......3.......2.......1
Could it be Ethan Moreau?

Narnia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Could it be Ethan Moreau?
He's the tuMoreau in the room.

Old
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Best interview by an active player I have ever listened to... ever. I liked the comments about the turn overs off of the cycle even more, because it's very constructive, not to mention accurate.

I'm guessing, if Moreau heard it, he'd probably confront him about it in a negative way.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I know you weren't accusing me, that's all good. Like I said though, I just used Gags as a psychological ploy to embellish the fact that I have no idear who is the cancer....maybe it's Deslauriers.......3.......2.......1
Yeah, I gotcha. It is obvious that there is a cancer in the room. It started right after the Oilers lost in the cup final. The instant CFP demanded a trade. Thats when the cancer in the room metastasized and spread to many of the other players. Pronger changed the image in Edmonton to that of a negative.. with the help of the media opening the floodgates. It took an outsider like Whitney to easily detect the cancer(s). Thats how evident it is. If the Oilers lose all their warts and heal up from injuries, after they draft Hall/Seguin I bet they turn next season around.

I will wager that next season, the Oilers will not finish last in the league.

If they lose the warts

Moreau--> The least intelligent captain in the NHL with brutal leadership skills.
O'sullivan--> The effort is there but his body language speaks volumes of the confidence he has in himself.
Nilsson--> Might be playing well now, but the man takes weeks off and is lazy.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Orochimaru
5-14-6-1

We are so lucky that Whitney was part of the Penguins. He was a good leader there too, until he got injured and traded.

Last edited by Orochimaru: 03-17-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Roamin

I wish we could just dump Moreau and replace him with Jon Tripp.

either that or I wish Moreau would of watched the Olympic games and took notes on how to rally the team from Tripp.
He gave the German boys an ear full after every shift and was always positive.

on another note, I still think Whitney sucks.
Him pointing out the obvious isn't convincing me of anything.
His dumb penalties rival Moreau. but maybe thats from over trying considering he's probably heard all the talk of him being soft.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
McDorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Best interview by an active player I have ever listened to... ever. I liked the comments about the turn overs off of the cycle even more, because it's very constructive, not to mention accurate.

I'm guessing, if Moreau heard it, he'd probably confront him about it in a negative way.
Moreau has been less than stellar since Quinn called him out for that scrap with Iggy when Souray got hurt. I'm not backing up Moreau as he should show better leadership, but to me it looks like he's really depreciated in value since that incident, which is probably his nature, which is why he shouldn't be Captain, which is why no one likes him, which is why he gots ta go

McDorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:19 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Yep. He was silent on most nights. But when a goal was let in while he was on the ice, or he got a penalty, it was never his fault. He would blame everything and everybody but himself.
In my times spent behind the bench watching the players, I've always found it pretty difficult to hear what they are saying most of the time. I've only had those seats during the preseason though (and only once, in 2006, in a game against Dallas. I remember Craig MacTavish waving his arms to get Matt Greene's attention in the penalty box, and Zach Stortini decided to have a throw down with Steve Ott)

I'll just say it, I'm skeptical that you actually hear Moreau conveniently state commentary that lines up perfectly with this message board's belief that Horcoff, Staios, and Moreau had their own little exclusive club.

It also seems that he conveniently *****es loud enough to Horcoff and Staios for you to hear, meaning he obviously didn't care at all if the entire team heard him saying that sort of stuff. Or anyone else in the area. All the while, the best we get is "rumors" of a split in the dressing room. I guess the mainstream media, and now bloggers like Robin Brownlee (i.e. people with connections, yet no longer affiliated with the town's mainstream media and that have already shown they're cool with throwing barbs at the team), are all too afraid to say what you've decided to share with us right now?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:46 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
In my times spent behind the bench watching the players, I've always found it pretty difficult to hear what they are saying most of the time. I've only had those seats during the preseason though (and only once, in 2006, in a game against Dallas. I remember Craig MacTavish waving his arms to get Matt Greene's attention in the penalty box, and Zach Stortini decided to have a throw down with Steve Ott)

I'll just say it, I'm skeptical that you actually hear Moreau conveniently state commentary that lines up perfectly with this message board's belief that Horcoff, Staios, and Moreau had their own little exclusive club.

It also seems that he conveniently *****es loud enough to Horcoff and Staios for you to hear, meaning he obviously didn't care at all if the entire team heard him saying that sort of stuff. Or anyone else in the area. All the while, the best we get is "rumors" of a split in the dressing room. I guess the mainstream media, and now bloggers like Robin Brownlee (i.e. people with connections, yet no longer affiliated with the town's mainstream media and that have already shown they're cool with throwing barbs at the team), are all too afraid to say what you've decided to share with us right now?
It's not hard to hear the players from my seats. I've heard him yell," That wasn't my man!" when a goal was scored. He was looking right at Horcoff when he said it.

It's not like this happened on a nightly occasion either. I've said he never says anything inspirational on the bench and any time I've heard him, he's *****ing. I also know this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ol' Chopper...

I don't care what you do, or don't believe. Brownlee has a press pass that he can ill afford to lose. Furthermore, he sits up in the pressbox, nowhere near the bench.

The part in bold is the biggest problem with him, he doesn't care. Notice how the team started slouching and playing like losers again when he returned to the lineup? A once proud Oilers has now become a pariah.

Old
03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
So what or who is the cause?
the problem is that we lack a star that has earned the rights to talk.. now we just have a bunch of sucky and youngish players who frankly have not done anything to earn that right to speak out..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Whitney follows up on his comments today:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=98&iid=21109

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post

Whitney reeks of leadership.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:01 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Whitney reeks of leadership.
He sure does. Something our young guys desperately need.

Old
03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Big Dogge*

The sooner the mentality of the room changes, the better.

Look at the Vancouver Canucks. I know, like most here, I despise them but I was listening to Alex Burrows during the NYI game 1st intermission and even down by 2 goals Burrows stated (I'm paraphrasing) -

"Now when we get down 2 or 3 goals we know that we have the ability to come back. It helps because we're never out of it. When we get scored on we just go out there and try to get it back. We don't lose our confidence like we were doing earlier in the season."

That is the mentality of a winning team with a winning culture.

When was the last time an Oiler sounded so confident in his teams ability?

Now, the Canucks are far from the model of nobility but this is the attitude that needs to permeate the Oiler organization. The Canucks are a dangerous team that seemingly scores at will right now and it works for them. When they get scored in, it never seems to faze them.

This Oiler team lets in 1 and things go sour in a hurry. A lack of leadership will do that with a young team. The sooner Moreau is punted to the sidelines, the better.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Spartan117

As long as these guys don't decide to start winning this season, I'm ok with them playing to lose.

But I like Whitney's attitude. The Oilers are going to need a guy who questions things. But its a dangerous path to tread cause calling out guys can lead to bad *****!

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:48 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
As long as these guys don't decide to start winning this season, I'm ok with them playing to lose.

But I like Whitney's attitude. The Oilers are going to need a guy who questions things. But its a dangerous path to tread cause calling out guys can lead to bad *****!
They're far enough back to start winning some games. I'm actually hoping that they win at least some of the games going down the stretch.

Old
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Eirhead*

So what do you think we can get for Gagner? If he has motivation problems and this get's out into the media, do you think we can even get a blue-chip prospect for him? Maybe we just don't make a qualifying offer, it'll be for the best.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
They're far enough back to start winning some games. I'm actually hoping that they win at least some of the games going down the stretch.
Me too. This losing culture can become very difficult to shake if it becomes too embedded. Ending the year with a winning streak would really help with the psyche of the younger players.

As for Whitney I have to say that he is really starting to win me over.
I'll need another 40 games minimum (to form an definitive opinion) but for now he is saying all the right things and his play up to this point hasn't been too bad either.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
So what do you think we can get for Gagner? If he has motivation problems and this get's out into the media, do you think we can even get a blue-chip prospect for him? Maybe we just don't make a qualifying offer, it'll be for the best.
maybe shirokov if we're lucky, probably have to sweeten the pot though

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
maybe shirokov if we're lucky, probably have to sweeten the pot though
Calgary's 2nd would probably get'r done eh?

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post

Great interview. Moreau is a joke compared to Whitney.

Listening to Whitney's comments it's like he's deduced already that there's lots of guys who need to go and he WANTS the jobbers to go.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote