HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Extensive Interview with Gauthier (RDS)

Old
03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Habssupporter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Maybe i'm way off base here, but i still highly doubt that the Flyers turned down Halak for a 2nd.

Raymond i think was just going with the old Gainey quote about Halak maybe only being worth a 2nd (maybe that's what the Flyers offered), but that the Habs wanted more (ie. 2nd + player?).

But if the Flyers truly turned down Halak for a 2nd, well then both Gainey and Holmgren are morons.
The flyers did not offered a second for halak at anypoint during this season for the simple fact that they do not have a second rounder in 2010(for sure) and 2011(i think i'm positive). The only point where a second rounder was talked about was when gainey said that the value of a goaltender isn't great in this league stating that he had to trade Huet for a second round pick.

Just to clarify Philly doesnt have a first or second this year and no second next year.

Habssupporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/295591.html

Bertrand Raymond (who now works for RDS, god help us all) has a lengthy, lengthy interview with Pierre Gauthier online today.

Too long to translate, but from a practical perspective there is not much new. The value is in learning about the guy behind the wheel and seeing how he thinks.

A couple nuggets:

-They admit fully that Halak was offered to Philly earlier this year and simply put, and luckily for Montreal, Philly wouldn't meet the MTL asking price.

-He more or less admits what we all assumed: one of the two has to be moved this summer.

If Halak continues to play well - I can't see the Habs moving him - soooooo is this goodbye Carey Price?

And, if they move Price - I hope - at the very lest the Habs can aquire an Anze Kopitar quality player in return!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:44 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
[/B]

If Halak continues to play well - I can't see the Habs moving him - soooooo is this goodbye Carey Price?

And, if they move Price - I hope - at the very lest the Habs can aquire an Anze Kopitar quality player in return!

they gonna throw bernier/quick in that deal too?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:04 PM
habsjunkie2*

I think Gaineys price was a top 6 forward and Philly said no. Even at the time Halak was in one of his hottest streaks of the season, winning games with 45+ shots against.

There is zero chance Philly would of turned the deal down for a 2nd rd pick.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
[/B]

That's Habs fans. They think a player is crap and want his ass out of Montreal but they expect Kopitar in return.

MicroFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
That's Habs fans. They think a player is crap and want his ass out of Montreal but they expect Kopitar in return.
Anyone who thinks Price is crap needs to stop smoking whatever it is the neighborhood pusher is selling!

While Price won't land you a Kopitar at today's value he's certainly not worth just giving up on for some second tier prospects and picks.

If a team isn't willing to pay for what Price's potential future value is then Montreal should hold on to him and move Halak who more PRESENT value.

In my humble opinion, Price will be the better of the two goalies long term!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Sounds about right.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Philly doesn't have a 2nd in 2010 and 2011 so this is pure BS.

Raymond probably had a false information and Gauthier may have decided to ignore it.
It could still have been a 2nd. Not having the pick doesn't mean the team cannot look elsewhere for one.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:49 PM
sampollock

the flyers never have the nuts to go out and get a good goalie, that is why they suck,

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Souvenirs,

Are you for real?

Where in my post did I say (or imply) that Price was crap? Or are you speaking on my behalf?

I can't find that statement in my post anywhere - can you?

If you are capable of reading.....you can see that I asked a question (questions - you may be aware - are not opinions) as to whether it would be Price to (possibly) be moved (as apparently implied by Gauthier - you know the Habs current GM).

The raeson I would hope that the Habs would possibly aquire a Kopitar quality player is because the Habs passed on Kopitar in the 2005 draft in order to take Price!

Old
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Anyone who thinks Price is crap needs to stop smoking whatever it is the neighborhood pusher is selling!

While Price won't land you a Kopitar at today's value he's certainly not worth just giving up on for some second tier prospects and picks.

If a team isn't willing to pay for what Price's potential future value is then Montreal should hold on to him and move Halak who more PRESENT value.

In my humble opinion, Price will be the better of the two goalies long term!

Good post.

I'm not sure that Price will be better than Halak - but I agree that if the Habs cannot get a very good player in return they should hold onto him - at least for now!

Old
03-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Sounds about right.

Looks like you are as brilliant at reading comprehension as is Souvenirs.

Old
03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Looks like you are as brilliant at reading comprehension as is Souvenirs.
Dude, everyone knows what you meant. Its still stupid.

Old
03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Dude, everyone knows what you meant. Its still stupid.

You are either attempting to read my mind or speak on my behalf - maybe both?

So Gauthier - the Habs GM - apparently indicated that 1 of the Habs 2 goalies will likely be moved by this year's Entry Draft.

In turn, I expressed the hope that the Habs could get a good player in return - if moving Price is their plan - and you see that as being "stupid"?

You want to see stupid(?).....look in the mirror!

Old
03-17-2010, 09:03 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
Souvenirs,

Are you for real?

Where in my post did I say (or imply) that Price was crap? Or are you speaking on my behalf?

I can't find that statement in my post anywhere - can you?

If you are capable of reading.....you can see that I asked a question (questions - you may be aware - are not opinions) as to whether it would be Price to (possibly) be moved (as apparently implied by Gauthier - you know the Habs current GM).

The raeson I would hope that the Habs would possibly aquire a Kopitar quality player is because the Habs passed on Kopitar in the 2005 draft in order to take Price!

Hey! I'm glad you answered to me with some dramatic bolding and exclamation marks.

I wasn't exclusively targeting you : just poking fun at the general Habs fanbase and the usual attitude when it comes to Price :he sucks, he's crap, should be/ have been traded...yet to those people, anything less than a franchise player would make them ask for the GM's head. See where I'm going? If Price was such crap, how would he land us a solid player?

As for Kopitar...well, 9 teams passed on him (didn't include Pittsburgh, I think their pick was obvious ) If the draft was to be done again he'd likely be drafted second.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
CPrice

Quote:
You are either attempting to read my mind or speak on my behalf - maybe both?

So Gauthier - the Habs GM - apparently indicated that 1 of the Habs 2 goalies will likely be moved by this year's Entry Draft.

In turn, I expressed the hope that the Habs could get a good player in return - if moving Price is their plan - and you see that as being "stupid"?

You want to see stupid(?).....look in the mirror!
My comment has nothing to do with the plan of trading Price. I was just replying to the fact that people say player "X" is garbage and then think they can package them for a great player.

Oh yeah, and the look in the mirror joke was really lame.

Last edited by CPrice: 03-17-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
RE-HABS

I will be absolutely shocked if Price is the goalie traded. Don't see it happening.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Hey! I'm glad you answered to me with some dramatic bolding and exclamation marks.

I wasn't exclusively targeting you : just poking fun at the general Habs fanbase and the usual attitude when it comes to Price :he sucks, he's crap, should be/ have been traded...yet to those people, anything less than a franchise player would make them ask for the GM's head. See where I'm going? If Price was such crap, how would he land us a solid player?

As for Kopitar...well, 9 teams passed on him (didn't include Pittsburgh, I think their pick was obvious ) If the draft was to be done again he'd likely be drafted second.
I see we were both on the same page. I think Irish has comprehensive problems.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

So you weren't exclusively targeting me - but targeting me none the less.

You aren't targeting me - but you quote my post to make your point - inappropriately
condidering that I did not ask for or hope for Price to be traded.

I merely suggested that if Gauthier trades him - Habs should (IMHO) get a good player in return!

Old
03-17-2010, 09:22 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:

Some picks would change for sure, but many GM's and Scouts have said Price would still be picked around the same spot today.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
I see we were both on the same page. I think Irish has comprehensive problems.

What's the old saying? Birds of a feather flock together!

And what is it that Don Cherry once said? "It's tough to soar like an eagle when you're dealing with turkeys"

Old
03-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Pascal

Can you imagine if Halak had been dealt for a 2nd and pushed Philly to a deep playoff run or at least did very well?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
MicroFracture

Quote:
So you weren't exclusively targeting me - but targeting me none the less.

You aren't targeting me - but you quote my post to make your point - inappropriately
condidering that I did not ask for or hope for Price to be traded.

I merely suggested that if Gauthier trades him - Habs should (IMHO) get a good player in return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Some picks would change for sure, but many GM's and Scouts have said Price would still be picked around the same spot today.
Yep. Price wasn't a wasted 5th pick, and if most GM's and scouts still agree on his place in the draft, then maybe he's not as much as a bust as people believe.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
CPrice

Quote:
What's the old saying? Birds of a feather flock together!

And what is it that Don Cherry once said? "It's tough to soar like an eagle when you're dealing with turkeys"
Now I see where you get your insight from. That explains everything.

Old
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
BelHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I will be absolutely shocked if Price is the goalie traded. Don't see it happening.
And I would be just as shocked to see Halak going, which leads us to believe...

Neither is going!!!

I think next year will be the make it or break it year for our goalies. If the current situation doesn't change next year (by this I mean Halak outplaying Price once again), then Price will be the one going. (Unless he's willing to take a substantial pay cut which I doubt he will.)

BelHabs is offline   Reply With Quote